• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

Of course; there are supporters and detractors for every character pertaining to Smash that you could possibly imagine.
Hell, there is probably a group of people deep in the internet somewhere that are against Mario's inclusion of all things in Smash. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't really see why people are so against having him in Smash. Like...what's the issue? Is having a purple dragon fighting in Smash really that big of a deal to some people? Or do people think he would look weird in it or something? The only character that I thought really didn't "fit in" was Snake. I think playing as an evil dragon and Samus's arch-nemesis would be cool, and more villains would be cool. Plus, he could be a polar opposite to Mac, amazing in air, terrible on ground. I dunno, can someone explain why he's such a hated character by some people?

*back to lurking this cool/funny thread*
I suppose it is easy to "detract" a character that you do not want to personally see in Smash. I highly doubt that it is anything personal other than the premise that they are not interested in the character and they prefer another Nintendo character over Ridley. I did not actually want Ridley in Smash prior to discerning the notion that he was quite clearly in the game as a playable character myself. Mostly based on the sentiment that I did not want excessive resources devoted to a character that had a significant chance of playing awkwardly (based on Sakurai's inherently fallacious assertions during an interview). However, I doubt that is material as of current because we already have Mii Fighters, so what is one more? One that is actually worthy?

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
After carefully evaluating I have come to this extremely thoroughly thought through concept that some of you may want to hear

Ridley is playable in Smash 4

*Drops the mic*

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
For people saying Ridley doesn't make sense Pac-Man attacks using his enemies.

Thats the equivalent of Samus pulling Metroids out of thin air and attacking you with them.

Sakurai gives no ****s about your canon or logic.

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
Given that this is the Ridley thread, I'm sure that this has already been said and argued over multiple times, but I'm starting to think that the CSS only has room for 47 characters, consisting of the 3 remaining Sal newcomers plus all veterans except for Squirtle, Ivy, Snake, and Lucas. In other words, I am now doubting that our beloved Ridley will be playable.

Please, someone convince me that I might be wrong.

Last edited:

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice

Thats the equivalent of Samus pulling Metroids out of thin air and attacking you with them.

He attacks which his enemies and his homestage in the 3DS version has his enemies as what is likely stage hazards.

D

Deleted member

Given that this is the Ridley thread, I'm sure that this has already been said and argued over multiple times, but I'm starting to think that the CSS only has room for 47 characters, consisting of the 3 remaining Sal newcomers plus all veterans except for Squirtle, Ivy, Snake, and Lucas. In other words, I am now doubting that our beloved Ridley will be playable.

Please, someone tell me why I'm wrong.
@ SchAlternate SchAlternate did a thing about that, he can tell you all about the CSS possibilities.

Morbi

Scavenger

Please, someone tell me why I'm wrong.
Sakurai could always cut a veteran for Ridley if he felt obligated to adhere to an arbitrary sentiment such as the size of the CSS.

Hell, there is probably a group of people deep in the internet somewhere that are against Mario's inclusion of all things in Smash. :laugh:
:urg:

So are you saying that Ridley will pull out Metroids to attack other participants?!

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Does anyone still think that Ridley might just be playable and a boss? They could handle it in a similar manner to the Toon Link-Alfonzo complex. Would anyone prefer him to be both, or just playable?

Lanog20

Smash Apprentice

You are wrong because you can't judge the roster size just from the demo of the game. It's been shown that the CSS can even hold 64 characters and still look nice.

Morbi

Scavenger
Does anyone still think that Ridley might just be playable and a boss? They could handle it in a similar manner to the Toon Link-Alfonzo complex. Would anyone prefer him to be both, or just playable?
I do not necessarily believe that he would be both, nor would I want him to be; however, I am sure that I would not mind in the slightest as playable Ridley is my only real desire.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai could always cut a veteran for Ridley if he felt obligated to adhere to an arbitrary sentiment such as the size of the CSS.

So are you saying that Ridley will pull out Metroids to attack other participants?!
No clearly Ridley will throw either Kraid or Space Pirates as @AndreaAC and @ SchAlternate SchAlternate envisioned, respectively. (I think he did the Space Pirate thing at least.)

D

Deleted member

If I had to choose between the two; I would, more likely than not, vote Kraid.
And I'm still on Team Crocomire, Ridley could just throw his burned remains at all the contenders.

Or even better, his half melted half-alive mess of a body after he got dropped in the lava. :awesome:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

The CSS in the demo means absolutely nothing, plus it could have room for more than 47 characters if necessary. No game director would decide how many characters a game will have based on the slots in a CSS, quite the opposite actually. Plus, you mentioned Sal Romano's leak and Sal Romano himself said Nintendo is planning DLC for the game. Do you really think there will be only 47 characters in the game, including the DLC ones? Obviously this is not the case and that mean you shouldn't take a CSS of a demo as a disconfirmation for any character not mentioned in Sal Romano's leaks. Hope this helps.

majora_787

Smash Hero

No. Ridley will pull out Samus and attack his opponents swinging her by the ankles.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
After a ton of shadow analyses, I have sadly determined that, no, that's not possible.

We're either getting playable Ridley or Boss Ridley. No middle ground. (I kinda wish there was, though)

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
After a ton of shadow analyses, I have sadly determined that, no, that's not possible.

We're either getting playable Ridley or Boss Ridley. No middle ground. (I kinda wish there was, though)
Which is unfortunate because it's looking more and more like it's either the character everyone wants or the boss literally nobody wants. :Y But what can you do. Pretty sure we don't need to worrry about the latter at all though.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I firmly believe Ridley will be playable in Smash bros WiiU/3DS.

In Ridley's teaser in the Smash bros direct did anyone else think his movement seemed player controlled? I mean if, as a AI controlled boss, he was going to be anything like he was in brawl I doubt he would be that idle.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I firmly believe Ridley will be in Smash bros WiiU/3DS.

In Ridley's teaser in the Smash bros direct did anyone else think his movement seems player controlled? I mean if, as a AI controlled boss, he was going to be anything like he was in brawl I doubt he would be that idle.
You revived an idle account just to post here. That's dedication.

I hope Ridley is in too, but I can't say I know for certain.
The Gematsu leak didn't mention Rosalina, so it's possible that there may be other characters waiting in the wings, assuming the leak is real. (which it most likely is at this point)

Last edited:

SeatreasureReturned

Smash Apprentice
This is such a tough case. On the one hand I can't see how you could tease a character so much and then not include him as a playable character. On the other hand, I could totally see them teasing a character so much and then not include him as a playable character.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
You revived an idle account just to post here. That's dedication.

I hope Ridley is in too, but I can't say I know for certain.
The Gematsu leak didn't mention Rosalina, so it's possible that there may be other characters waiting in the wings, assuming the leak is real. (which it most likely is at this point)
When was it stated that the characters shown in the leak were the ONLY ones that will appear in the game?

Reila

When was it stated that the characters shown in the leak were the ONLY ones that will appear in the game?
Never. I keep bringing this point up, actually. Sal Romano never said the leaked characters are the only newcomers (and that is why people keep expecting him to leak more stuff).

Last edited:

Lanog20

Smash Apprentice
Could you post where you saw this? I saw the 47 roster thing a couple of days ago, and others have said it can still go other ways, but they've not shown pics.
I would love to show it to you, I saw it on /v/ yesterday. I've searched everywhere, I seriously can't find the pic.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I see people assuming as such and forgetting about Rosalina.

Which is why I said that there could still be other characters not mentioned in the leak waiting in the wings if the leak is real.

Waiting in Ridley's wings because he's so damn big. :troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Never. I keep bringing this point up, actually. Sal Romano never said the leaked characters are the only newcomers (and that is why people keep expecting him to leak more stuff).
I think @ SchAlternate SchAlternate asked that question knowing what you just said, he was just asking in that style as a way to bring up the point that Sal never mentioned that his Leak contained all the newcomers.

Just trying to dispel confusion. Correct me if I'm wrong with this assumption.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
So the fact Sakurai basically said all that's really left is debugging throws "Well Ridley wasn't ready enough to record being a boss" out the window.

Reila

I think @ SchAlternate SchAlternate asked that question knowing what you just said, he was just asking in that style as a way to bring up the point that Sal never mentioned that his Leak contained all the newcomers.

Just trying to dispel confusion. Correct me if I'm wrong with this assumption.
Yes, I realized it was a rhetorical question. I was actually agreeing with him.

D

Deleted member

So the fact Sakurai basically said all that's really left is debugging throws "Well Ridley wasn't ready enough to record being a boss" out the window.
Couple this with the fact that they had the roster completely decided in the early stages of development (going off the statements that they decided to add Greninja based on concept art well before the release of X and Y) and Ridley's chances suddenly look that much better.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I firmly believe Ridley will be in Smash bros WiiU/3DS.

In Ridley's teaser in the Smash bros direct did anyone else think his movement seemed player controlled? I mean if, as a AI controlled boss, he was going to be anything like he was in brawl I doubt he would be that idle.
Hey, a revived account. Might as well take this opportunity to abridge the past several hundred pages of analyses.

Here's a list of things we derived from the Direct:
  • Ridley appears to shift modes several times during the Direct, resulting in some choppy motion, as seen here: http://gfycat.com/SentimentalBronzeIndianrhinoceros .This is in direct contradiction with the smoothly-animated movements and attacks of his boss battle.
  • Ridley's size, based on Pikachu's shadow, is this range of sizes.

• Angelglory is a goddamn wizard, as his scaled-down Ridley for the purposes of being a playable character is EXACTLY the size of my Ridley's largest possible size.
groupshot two rids more people.png

Last edited:

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Hey, a revived account. Might as well take this opportunity to abridge the past several hundred pages of analyses.

Here's a list of things we derived from the Direct:
  • Ridley appears to shift modes several times during the Direct, resulting in some choppy motion, as seen here: http://gfycat.com/SentimentalBronzeIndianrhinoceros .This is in direct contradiction with the smoothly-animated movements and attacks of his boss battle.
  • Ridley's size, based on Pikachu's shadow, is this range of sizes.

• Angelglory is a goddamn wizard, as his scaled-down Ridley for the purposes of being a playable character is EXACTLY the size of myRidley's largest possible size.
View attachment 16192

For some reason I thought your largest possible size was bigger than that existing lineup, since I had seen it before. But now that I see them side by side...

Top Bottom