• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
AGAIN, for those worried about the CSS...

Well! Thanks to magical powers of Photoshop, I think I found out the roster size! ... Maybe.

So! Here's the roster of the demo:

It has a total of 20 characters + a random slot. Pretty solid for a demo.

Now, lets add some slots to make that a perfect rectangle.

This gives us a whooping 23 slots. There's still some space to the sides, though. Lets cover them!

... Could only add 3 more. So here's a 27 big roster. Seeing that we have 34 characters revealed, there's clearly something wrong here. Let's do the same as Brawl and shrink those slots!

Now we're at 48 slots... huh. It seems whoever did that estimation was somewhat right. But, assuming the Brawl crew comes back with the lowest amount of cuts possible (two, Ivysaur and Squirtle) at 37, plus the 9 newcomers shown, there'd be only a single space left in the roster (Mewtwo?)... which, unless it means there have been a boatload of cuts, means that the roster is pretty much underwhelming. So many popular characters are being left out.

However, let's get a little crazy here. So, we had 64's roster, which had 2 rows; then Melee, with 3; and then Brawl, with 4. Let's say this game does add one extra row to it's roster. That'd bring the roster size to...

... an outstanding 60 slots! That is quite a large amount of smashers, would't you say? Though, 59 is a bit of a weird number. Plus, this roster isn't as wide as the demo roster. Let's expand it a little bit more one more time.

Here's the best possible roster. 65 slots - 64 players and a random slot! Not only would this size be the ultimate fanservice Sakurai could deliver, but the amount of characters is 64; a perfect throwback to the original game!

Now, I don't mean to hype you up, nor do I want to dissapoint you; I just did this for fun. Though it gives me a really cool idea of what the roster would be like.

Brainstorming here.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero

Close enough to 64
I know the Wii U CSS had a yellow theme to it, but this is ridiculous.

But why are some of the slots different sizes instead of one uniform size?

And I'd love for the roster to have 64 characters, but it won't happen.
That's enough room to add all the Melee clones, Ivysaur and Squirtle, everyone else, and still have many slots to spare!

Oh wait, we already have the Brawl clone engine/BrawlEx.

----

Last edited:

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
I like how that 65 slot one can still fit at least another 10 easily.
74 character roster confirmed.

The current 33 fighters, every Brawl vet except Snake, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Lucas, and Falco, and about 45 clones of Captain Falcon.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Hey, a revived account. Might as well take this opportunity to abridge the past several hundred pages of analyses.
ahh thank you appreciate the recap. If I wasn't already sure he will be playable I would be after seeing that.

majora_787

Smash Hero
The only worthwhile thing that can ACTUALLY be extrapolated from the demo rosters are two things:

1. The actual character locations on the rosters will probably differ between versions. Entirely irrelevant to anything ever.

2. They look really nice. :3

...That's about it. There's ridley no need to get all worked up.

Lanog20

Smash Apprentice
I know the Wii U CSS had a yellow theme to it, but this is ridiculous.

But why are some of the slots different sizes instead of one uniform size?

And I'd love for the roster to have 64 characters, but it won't happen.
That's enough room to add all the Melee clones, Ivysaur and Squirtle, everyone else, and still have many slots to spare!

----

I think this is more reasonable. 50 character slots (51 if you count the random box) I can totally see this happening, and even better we can get our last 3 most highly requested! (K. Rool, Ridley, and Mewtwo)

Last edited:

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
If we did get 65 playable characters without Ridley being one of them; I am not going to lie, the battle (nerd) rage would actualize. I would endlessly complain.
"We have Chorus Men."

"We have Toad."

"We have a third Mother rep."

"Snake got kept in."

"They found time to give Donkey Kong 5 reps."

"Freaking Mrs. Game and Watch."

"But no Ridley."

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
One thing I don't understand, is the belief that "Chorus men" is such a guaranteed hit.

Besides a crappy rumour, I've seen no demand for them, no recondition (Hell I don't even know where their from). I am utterly confused in how they will even fit into this game! From their icon I can see there's at least three of them, so I doubt they'd have an Ice climbers mechanic, Sak says no more forum changes, and I can't see a master/minion system like Pikmin.

So stop crushing your own hopes with this dumb hoax, and get dammed excited for this character!

Morbi

Scavenger
One thing I don't understand, is the belief that "Chorus men" is such a guaranteed hit.

Besides a crappy rumour, I've seen no demand for them, no recondition (Hell I don't even know where their from). I am utterly confused in how they will even fit into this game! From their icon I can see there's at least three of them, so I doubt they'd have an Ice climbers mechanic, Sak says no more forum changes, and I can't see a master/minion system like Pikmin.

So stop crushing your own hopes with this dumb hoax, and get dammed excited for this character!
A Rhythm Heaven character (enemy?) was spotted in Smash Run. Personally, I find this sentiment weird EVEN if Chorus Men are actually playable; I find it even more odd if they were not. However, do not worry about us, we are still fairly excited at the prospect of Ridley. Fortunately for the Ridley supporters, the leak does not necessarily pertain to us.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Well, first of all, this is the Ridley thread. Second of all, you really need to read more closely. Sal Romano's leaker announced about an hour before the Digital Event by reiterating how "Mii Fighter" and "Goddess Palutena" were in the game (along with the rest of the unconfirmed characters). Its not so much that the characters were announced, its that he knew exactly that the Mii's would be called "Mii Fighter."

Also, we know Rhythm Heaven is being represented. There are Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run. This is proven. Sorry, you really need to read more. And I blew off the leak constantly before this latest reveal because of some inconsistencies. There are still inconsistencies, but it doesn't matter, he DOES have info.

That said, most people have given up on being depressed because there's so many hints that Ridley is in fact playable in the game, so regardless of the Gematsu leak being proven true, that hasn't dashed Ridley fans' hopes (and my own belief; I'm not really a Ridley fan, I just thing he's all but confirmed at this point).

The leak is real, but that doesn't mean its all we've got. Hell, Brawl had 18 new characters and Melee 14. I doubt we'll get as many newcomers as Brawl, but I can easily see us getting between the two games, or even the same as Melee. We've only got 12 newcomers yet and 9 confirmed (the others will be confirmed, though).

Captain Fun

Smash Lord

I guess the thing is that the leak has a lot going for it- I mean a lot. It's looking like there will be a Rhythm Heaven character in Smash since we now know that the Sneaky Spirit from Rhythm Heaven is an enemy in Smash Run.

It's not looking like a hoax at this point. The Sal leak seems to be real- even the most adamant detractors seem to believe it now. The current question now is "is this it?"

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I guess the thing is that the leak has a lot going for it- I mean a lot. It's looking like there will be a Rhythm Heaven character in Smash since we now know that the Sneaky Spirit from Rhythm Heaven is an enemy in Smash Run.

It's not looking like a hoax at this point. The Sal leak seems to be real- even the most adamant detractors seem to believe it now. The current question now is "is this it?"
And I highly doubt this is it. We always have unlockable secret characters, and this time around, we only have about 12 Newcomers. I can't imagine us having less Newcomers than Melee, though perhaps about the same.

Morbi

Scavenger
And I highly doubt this is it. We always have unlockable secret characters, and this time around, we only have about 12 Newcomers. I can't imagine us having less Newcomers than Melee, though perhaps about the same.
I can imagine less newcomers than Melee as Sakurai quite literally stated that he believes that 39 characters is about as much as can be feasibly expected.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I don't know if this has been confirmed yet, but there hasn't been any word that the Space Pirates will make an appearance in Smash Run (other than Kihunters). Which is strange, because Bowser's minions, the Kremlings, and the Underworld Army have already been seen.

I wonder what's keeping Ridley's henchmen from showing up...?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So, question to the forum:

If RIdley is overloked this game, do you think he wll ever appear as a playable character?

I do not. Arguably there were limitations before; time, creativity, character gimmick, number of true all stars to be added.
This game really doesnt have any of those. If Sakurai is the current developer of the next game, I really cant see Ridley being added if he isnt here.

Kamiko

Smash Ace

If RIdley is overloked this game, do you think he wll ever appear as a playable character?

I do not. Arguably there were limitations before; time, creativity, character gimmick, number of true all stars to be added.
This game really doesnt have any of those. If Sakurai is the current developer of the next game, I really cant see Ridley being added if he isnt here.
Only if Sakurai has something against him.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If Ridley isn't in, it will most likely be because Sakurai wanted to focus on adding in more franchises to the roster (as well as females). I seriously doubt he has anything against him, or his fans.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I don't know if this has been confirmed yet, but there hasn't been any word that the Space Pirates will make an appearance in Smash Run (other than Kihunters). Which is strange, because Bowser's minions, the Kremlings, and the Underworld Army have already been seen.

Hm. It's probably the fact that Ridley has never been seen doing any actual commanding of Space Pirates outside manga prequels. I wouldn't be surprised if Ridley was actually working for Science Team.

Though there's a question: For Smash Run Space Pirates, do you prefer Zebesians, or Prime?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

I still think it's a bowl of bullocks. :laugh:

PowerBomb

Smash Master

They're playable characters, obviously. :troll:

@ Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt : Prime space pirates, please. Zebesians were neutered by Sakamoto's hack writing.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

Of course; there is always Smash 5 if Ridley does not make it into Smash 4. The persistence of time aids Ridley; it becomes more and more obvious that Smash is missing Nintendo's Metroid's most prominent antagonist.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I can imagine less newcomers than Melee as Sakurai quite literally stated that he believes that 39 characters is about as much as can be feasibly expected.
No, he never said that, people keep putting words into his mouth. :p He said they were approaching the limit they could feasibly handle, but never stated precisely what that meant. It didn't say anything about it being limited about to how many were in Brawl, which is especially notable because most of the characters have barely changed between Brawl and this one (which is how they're able to add so many new characters per game).

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Hm. It's probably the fact that Ridley has never been seen doing any actual commanding of Space Pirates outside manga prequels. I wouldn't be surprised if Ridley was actually working for Science Team.

Though there's a question: For Smash Run Space Pirates, do you prefer Zebesians, or Prime?
I'd like Prime, but knowing Sakurai's obvious bias towards the 2-D games (not that I have anything against that), I would expect him to use the Super Metroid design. Or the Other M version.

But in the off chance that he does use the Prime Space Pirates, I'd like to see the Dark Pirate Commandos make an appearance.

majora_787

Smash Hero
No, he never said that, people keep putting words into his mouth. :p He said they were approaching the limit they could feasibly handle, but never stated precisely what that meant. It didn't say anything about it being limited about to how many were in Brawl, which is especially notable because most of the characters have barely changed between Brawl and this one (which is how they're able to add so many new characters per game).
Plus I seriously don't think Sakurai would say 39 is the limit, announce 33 characters months before the game's release, and then still mean it.

But that aside. As I made my own roster, IMO people are a bit pessimistic about what we're getting. Even if Gematsu is legitimate, I think Sakurai is hiding some good things for us in the rest of the roster. Ridley definitely included.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Plus I seriously don't think Sakurai would say 39 is the limit, announce 33 characters months before the game's release, and then still mean it.

But that aside. As I made my own roster, IMO people are a bit pessimistic about what we're getting. Even if Gematsu is legitimate, I think Sakurai is hiding some good things for us in the rest of the roster. Ridley definitely included.
And K. Rool. :D

Top Bottom