• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

samsparta21

Smash Ace
I also said "Thats not just based off what I'm saying right now." There is way more going for him then just that. Interestingly phrased words in a pic of the day/direct and a shadow does not equal stage hazard/boss.

Keep telling yourself what you like.
The amount of denial in this thread. The hinting is there, don't just ignore it. He keeps trying to tell us Ridley will be a boss but we keep taking it as reasons for him to be playable. I feel sorry for Sakurai, everything he says is analyzed until it means what we want it to mean.

This'll all be cleared up at E3 I hope.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
The amount of denial in this thread. The hinting is there, don't just ignore it. He keeps trying to tell us Ridley will be a boss but we keep taking it as reasons for him to be playable. I feel sorry for Sakurai, everything he says is analyzed until it means what we want it to mean.

This'll all be cleared up at E3 I hope.
Your assuming I don't see it from both sides. I'm saying there is more going for Ridley imo.

If you wanna 100% deconfirm Ridley then the one who is truly in denial is you.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Random Rock formations from the Greninja trailer... really? I don't really see how you guys come up with this stuff.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Your assuming I don't see it from both sides. I'm saying there is more going for Ridley imo.

Yeah, the painful but quick deconfirmations, the constant teasing about Ridley without showing him or addressing him by name, and the total lack of any concrete information about the Pyrosphere or any 3DS Metroid stages basically reveals Ridley as playable.

Man I wish I knew Japanese, just to see if the "concrete evidence" Ridley detractors use isn't due to a mistranslation.
Random Rock formations from the Greninja trailer... really? I don't really see how you guys come up with this stuff.
...Its a joke. A pretty cool joke, I admit, (How DID that tree/rock formation resemble Ridley?) but we're not so desperate as to resort to clouds in the sky for any hints of confirmation.

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Yeah, the painful but quick deconfirmations, the constant teasing about Ridley without showing him or addressing him by name, and the total lack of any concrete information about the Pyrosphere or any 3DS Metroid stages basically reveals Ridley as playable.

Man I wish I knew Japanese, just to see if the "concrete evidence" Ridley detractors use isn't due to a mistranslation.
Stop saying it confirms him as playable. He's basically saying "maybe not" and you're seeing it as "yes".

Why on earth do you think I want to 100% deconfirm Ridley. I would love to see him in Smash. There are lots of good arguments for him being in, don't keep using the bad ones.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
The Toon Link argument isn't really enough... Toon Link is a background character while Ridley actually interacts with the fighters on the stage. Something like that is difficult to replace. On the other hand Other M Ridley is a clone of the original, so it is possible for two Ridleys to be on the stage at the same time, but it comes down to whether Sakurai wants two Ridleys in the game.
I wasn't trying to imply Ridley could be swapped out ala Toon Link, I was simply stating that many people counted him out. While it's obvious that Sakurai implied Ridley is a stage boss, I find his vagueness intriguing when he slammed the "Not Playable Hammer" on so many other choices, such as Waluigi, Dillon, and Ashley. It's highly possible we're grasping at straws in this argument, but Ridley can't be ruled out completely.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
I wasn't trying to imply Ridley could be swapped out ala Toon Link, I was simply stating that many people counted him out. While it's obvious that Sakurai implied Ridley is a stage boss, I find his vagueness intriguing when he slammed the "Not Playable Hammer" on so many other choices, such as Waluigi, Dillon, and Ashley. It's highly possible we're grasping at straws in this argument, but Ridley can't be ruled out completely.
This argument has been done to death. He counted out Waluigi, Skull Kid, etc. immediately but has been vague about Ridley. I ask you why he would even talk about Ridley if he wasn't a stage hazard. For newcomers, he never talks about them until they are shown. I can see this going two ways.
1. Ridley is a stage hazard
2. Other M Ridley is a stage hazard, but SM Ridley is playable and Sakurai is the ultimate troll

But he is basically confirmed a stage hazard either way.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
This argument has been done to death. He counted out Waluigi, Skull Kid, etc. immediately but has been vague about Ridley. I ask you why he would even talk about Ridley if he wasn't a stage hazard. For newcomers, he never talks about them until they are shown. I can see this going two ways.
2. Other M Ridley is a stage hazard, but SM Ridley is playable and Sakurai is the ultimate troll

I share a similar view, but I'm holding out hope that canonically Super Ridley and Other Ridley can be together that Sakurai decides to throw a bone to Ridley supporters by making him playable. It's unlikely, but it's the dream.

However, you make a pretty valid point. Ridley is probably going to be a stage hazard in one way or another.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Because I love to rules lawyer anything Sakurai says (The dude deconfirmed ZSS for a moment for crying out loud) I choose to interpret those words as:

The Pyrosphere has many other bosses, like the Vorash or Goyagma for players to fight.
"Boss Characters" refer to Ridley's status in the Metroid series as a boss.
He has yet to actually speak Ridley's name. Even he's said Palutena's name a couple of times.

I've heard crazier theories. Like Toad being Alfonzo'd despite any lack of evidence for his inclusion.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Stop saying it confirms him as playable. He's basically saying "maybe not" and you're seeing it as "yes".

Why on earth do you think I want to 100% deconfirm Ridley. I would love to see him in Smash. There are lots of good arguments for him being in, don't keep using the bad ones.
"It's also what happens when these people ignore the already given facts that he's a bloody stage hazard" - You

Did you not say the above? Talk about bad arguments. I think what we seen in the direct was the playable characters shadow and I'll leave it at that. If it really bothers you that some people think this way why not just leave the thread? What do we got left 34 days until E3? You won't need to put up with this much longer.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
@samsparta21

You're right on one level. We don't know the facts either way. Sure, some signs point to he's probably a boss, others point to maybe not.

What I don't understand is, when everything is up in the air, and nobody knows the truth, you come to the thread dedicated to supporting Ridley as a playable character, and claim that we are in denial. If there is any place that, while there is still a chance that he is playable, will support that chance, it is here. That is literally the purpose of this thread. It's not denial, it's filling a role. Finding his outline in the rocks? No one takes that seriously. We're bored. As you said, this will be cleared up at E3 (hopefully). But stop being so self-righteous , it isn't your place in the world to impose your interpretation of the facts on everyone else.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
@samsparta21

You're right on one level. We don't know the facts either way. Sure, some signs point to he's probably a boss, others point to maybe not.

What I don't understand is, when everything is up in the air, and nobody knows the truth, you come to the thread dedicated to supporting Ridley as a playable character, and claim that we are in denial. If there is any place that, while there is still a chance that he is playable, will support that chance, it is here. That is literally the purpose of this thread. It's not denial, it's filling a role. Finding his outline in the rocks? No one takes that seriously. We're bored. As you said, this will be cleared up at E3 (hopefully). But stop being so self-righteous , it isn't your place in the world to impose your interpretation of the facts on everyone else.
B-b-but I like those rock formations. :c

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
Because I love to rules lawyer anything Sakurai says (The dude deconfirmed ZSS for a moment for crying out loud) I choose to interpret those words as:

The Pyrosphere has many other bosses, like the Vorash or Goyagma for players to fight.
"Boss Characters" refer to Ridley's status in the Metroid series as a boss.
He has yet to actually speak Ridley's name. Even he's said Palutena's name a couple of times..
I did this theory a while back...Check my postings for more details
I think Goyagma and Vorash are possible Stage hazards since Sakurai named the Metroid stage as the PYROSPHERE and not GEOTHERMAL POWER PLANT...

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
"It's also what happens when these people ignore the already given facts that he's a bloody stage hazard" - You

Did you not say the above? Talk about bad arguments. I think what we seen in the direct was the playable characters shadow and I'll leave it at that. If it really bothers you that some people think this way why not just leave the thread? What do we got left 34 days until E3? You won't need to put up with this much longer.
I acknowledged that they were not facts, but pretty strong hints. It's not like I have a perfect argument, no one does. But to say for sure that Ridley is confirmed because of what Sakurai has said and shown is not an argument, it's an assumption. It's like how people argued that the world is flat because of gravity.

Did I say it was impossible for Ridley to be playable? Did I say I didn't want Ridley? No. As things are right now, Ridley has been strongly hinted twice as a stage hazard, and people who try to say he ISN'T a stage hazard are in denial. Even if Other M Ridley is a stage hazard, SM Ridley can still be playable. They are two different Ridleys after all, Other M Ridley is a clone. That's the best chance, I think, that Ridley has of getting in. Hell, that might even be the reason Sakurai is being vague. But you can't just say he won't be a stage hazard.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
In favor of Ridley being playable: Bizarrely abnormal treatment from Sakurai. Abnormal size. Slow speed. Extremely unusual behavior. Pyrosphere has some variety of lava hazard.

Against Ridley being playable: Ridley's shadow was shown in the Yellow Devil section of the April direct.

Nothing is "decisive evidence" on either side. But we actually need to acknowledge some things here.

And if you think Ridley has been hinted to be a hazard TWICE, you are one of the most delusional people on this thread and need to get some fresh air. The first statement on Pyrosphere at its very absolute best confirmed the possibility of Ridley being in the Wii U version of Smash Bros. At LEAST, it said nothing whatsoever. It is not valid evidence toward anything whatsoever at this point, because that statement boiled down to "Someone who may or may not be Ridley may or may not appear on Pyrosphere as a boss, an assist trophy, a background character, or a playable character". That is about as solid as RosalinaX's "The roster is above, below, or exactly 48 characters and is subject to change". Literally nobody, supporter, anti-Ridley or otherwise should be pretending that it is indicative of anything.

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
In favor of Ridley being playable: Bizarrely abnormal treatment from Sakurai. Abnormal size. Slow speed. Extremely unusual behavior. Pyrosphere has some variety of lava hazard.

Against Ridley being playable: Ridley's shadow was shown in the Yellow Devil section of the April direct.

Nothing is "decisive evidence" on either side. But we actually need to acknowledge some things here.

And if you think Ridley has been hinted to be a hazard TWICE, you are one of the most delusional people on this thread and need to get some fresh air. The first statement on Pyrosphere at its very absolute best confirmed the possibility of Ridley being in the Wii U version of Smash Bros. At LEAST, it said nothing whatsoever. It is not valid evidence toward anything whatsoever at this point, because that statement boiled down to "Someone who may or may not be Ridley may or may not appear on Pyrosphere as a boss, an assist trophy, a background character, or a playable character". That is about as solid as RosalinaX's "The roster is above, below, or exactly 48 characters and is subject to change".
You can't just say the implications weren't there for Ridley being a stage hazard in that daily pic or in the Direct. And I'm not saying anything is decisive evidence. All I am trying to say is that ignoring things that don't agree with your hypothesis is not how you make an argument. Take the stage hazard hints into account. "If Ridley was a stage hazard," you say, "what are some ways he could still be playable?" Take ALL facts into account, not just the ones you like.

I'll go ahead and talk about them then. Ridley in Other M appeared on Pyrosphere in the Direct, we can tell by the tail. Other M Ridley is a clone of SM Ridley. Judging by the size of Other M Ridley in the Direct, it is possible that if the original Ridley was the same size, or slightly smaller, he would be the right size to be playable.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I acknowledged that they were not facts, but pretty strong hints. It's not like I have a perfect argument, no one does. But to say for sure that Ridley is confirmed because of what Sakurai has said and shown is not an argument, it's an assumption. It's like how people argued that the world is flat because of gravity.

Did I say it was impossible for Ridley to be playable? Did I say I didn't want Ridley? No. As things are right now, Ridley has been strongly hinted twice as a stage hazard, and people who try to say he ISN'T a stage hazard are in denial. Even if Other M Ridley is a stage hazard, SM Ridley can still be playable. They are two different Ridleys after all, Other M Ridley is a clone. That's the best chance, I think, that Ridley has of getting in. Hell, that might even be the reason Sakurai is being vague. But you can't just say he won't be a stage hazard.
look man, I'm just gonna quote things you've said on this page

do you see what I'm getting at? you're attacking people for believing he's gonna be playable, in a thread dedicated for that. And now, I'm stretching, guessing a little, but I'm gonna assert that this is because of your own wounded heart when you saw the same news, and took it to mean Ridley was deconfirmed. Having hope can hurt if it's going to be let down eventually, and all of this hope is endangering you to having some of your own, and so you try to quash it. I understand. It's exactly what @ Oasis_S Oasis_S does.

but please stop arguing for arguing's sake, which is what it feels like your doing. Because I can say he won't be a stage hazard. That's what this thread is here for. (Personally, I actually believe he is a stage hazard, but that's besides the point. You don't see me the center of ire in this thread).

samsparta21

Smash Ace
look man, I'm just gonna quote things you've said on this page do you see what I'm getting at? you're attacking people for believing he's gonna be playable, in a thread dedicated for that. And now, I'm stretching, guessing a little, but I'm gonna assert that this is because of your own wounded heart when you saw the same news, and took it to mean Ridley was deconfirmed. Having hope can hurt if it's going to be let down eventually, and all of this hope is endangering you to having some of your own, and so you try to quash it. I understand. It's exactly what @ Oasis_S Oasis_S does.

but please stop arguing for arguing's sake, which is what it feels like your doing. Because I can say he won't be a stage hazard. That's what this thread is here for. (Personally, I actually believe he is a stage hazard, but that's besides the point. You don't see me the center of ire in this thread).
Oi. I am not attacking people for believing he can be playable, that's what this thread is for. It just aggravates me when people say that Ridley won't be a stage hazard just because of things that Sakurai has said. This thread isn't here to say he won't be a stage hazard, it's here for people in favour of Ridley being playable. Why can't we have both?

Last edited:

Bad_Pantz

Smash Apprentice
Let me start off by saying I don’t care about Ridley’s playability either way. The only hopeful I have for Smash is Isaac. I only came to the Ridley talks because I’m completely dumbfounded that so many people took the direct/PotDs as evidence of Ridley being a boss. So I want to break down what we ACTUALLY saw instead of the assumptions being made on both sides.

Now, let’s start with that boss. First – Why are we treating this like a new mechanic instead of a stage hazard? We already had Ultimate Chimera which is a “boss” that can be killed. The only difference with YD is that he explodes upon defeat. The direct didn’t say this was indicative of other bosses, NOR did he say that there would be other neutral bosses. ALSO, this section of the direct wasn’t called “stage bosses,” it was called “The Yellow Devil.”

Assumption made: Bosses are a new mechanic that will appear on multiple stages EVEN THOUGH the only evidence towards this is when Sakurai says “other boss characters may appear on other stages.”

After the Yellow Devil (again, section titled YELLOW DEVIL, NOT STAGE BOSSES), we get a brief clip of what is obviously Ridley’s shadow on Pyrosphere accompanied with the “other boss characters may appear on other stages” line.

Assumption: Ridley is the boss for Pyrosphere.

This is an…uneducated line of thought to take such statements at face value and assume a) that bosses (such as the Yellow Devil) will be on multiple stages and b) Ridley is the Pyrosphere boss.

So how can we actually dissect what we saw?

As I’ve mentioned multiple times, the section was not called “Bosses.” The only link between Boss and Ridley is “other boss characters may appear.” Bosses are different than boss characters. This is a decisive line. The entire event was clearly scripted, not just riffing off of whatever Sakurai wanted to say. Ridley is a boss character, so the line is true. That doesn’t mean he’s a boss. Bowser is a boss character. Gannondorf is a boss character.

So why would he use the Yellow Devil as a caveat to Ridley? For this freaking thread! For all of Gamefaqs. For all of reddit. This is such a huge tease for a hypemachine. They know that. Again, people who believe Ridley to be a boss are filling in their own expectations just as people who think he’s a playable character are. Only thing is that the direct ABSOLUTELY held evidence towards him being a playable character, not a boss. (Knock it off with this “he’s probably both!” What we saw was very polarizing.)

Knowing the intent of that direct (and don’t say “who can know?” Strain your mind for the tiniest bit of critical examination as to why a stage hazard would get several minutes of the direct), it’s very easy to see the shadow’s evidence clearly pointing to Ridley’s playable status. I don’t care about the size arguments (even though some here have done a wonderful job deducing the size of the figure who cast the shadow), I don’t care about the model arguments (Tail spike/body spikes bear resemblance to Other M design, but we don’t know that he’ll be a 1:1 Other M Ridley), just the movement is enough to confirm that was a playable character. Not the behavior of following/moving/stopping, but the way the shadow skips frames. I think someone pointed out videos in the thread comparing this to other bosses.

It’s really…it’s just hard to look at all this and not insult the intelligence of detractors (who are clearly ignoring evidence to fit the “Ridley’s a boss!” agenda).

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
After the Yellow Devil (again, section titled YELLOW DEVIL, NOT STAGE BOSSES), we get a brief clip of what is obviously Ridley’s shadow on Pyrosphere accompanied with the “other boss characters may appear on other stages” line.

As I’ve mentioned multiple times, the section was not called “Bosses.” The only link between Boss and Ridley is “other boss characters may appear.” Bosses are different than boss characters. This is a decisive line. The entire event was clearly scripted, not just riffing off of whatever Sakurai wanted to say. Ridley is a boss character, so the line is true. That doesn’t mean he’s a boss. Bowser is a boss character. Gannondorf is a boss character.

So why would he use the Yellow Devil as a caveat to Ridley? For this freaking thread! For all of Gamefaqs. For all of reddit. This is such a huge tease for a hypemachine. They know that. Again, people who believe Ridley to be a boss are filling in their own expectations just as people who think he’s a playable character are. Only thing is that the direct ABSOLUTELY held evidence towards him being a playable character, not a boss. (Knock it off with this “he’s probably both!” What we saw was very polarizing.)
You know...That's actually a good point.

We've seen other bosses appear (Twinrova, the Dark Emperor) so why focus on the Yellow Devil? And why do the Guts Man platforms disappear every time they demonstrate the titular blob monster?

Either there's a third stage mode he's not telling us about (Boss Mode), the Devil is somehow special in a way that separates him from other stage hazards, the platforms disappear a la Pokemon Stadium or Arena Ferox, or bosses only appear on FD stages if triggered somehow.

Sakurai had sections devoted to general Assist Trophies, Pokemon, Veterans, Stages, and Newcomers, so why focus on one thing?

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
@samsparta21

I don't see **** in the rocks but the branch, especially considering the possibility of Pac-Man in the clouds, is something I'm keeping in the back of my mind.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I agree with this. People who say that Ridley is 100% deconfirmed as a boss are either really missing out on critical thinking and observation, or are deliberately ignoring the situation for their own interests. I wouldn't call the "100% confirmed" camp any better and I'd say it's up in the air, but still. The entire situation is just bizarre on so many levels and points toward a major character reveal far more than it does a disappointing boss reveal.

Of course, people will have their "But Sakurai would never troll us" ideas. But hey, it's been thrown out there.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Oi. I am not attacking people for believing he can be playable, that's what this thread is for. It just aggravates me when people say that Ridley won't be a stage hazard just because of things that Sakurai has said. This thread isn't here to say he won't be a stage hazard, it's here for people in favour of Ridley being playable. Why can't we have both?
We can totally have both.

I was just saying that from a lot of the posts of yours that I've been reading lately, it really sounded like you were doing just that. I totally agree with you that it's silly for people to believe that Ridley is 100% confirmed either playable or hazard. Just try to watch how you argue, I guess, because a lot of the time it really felt as if you were just talking down to people for expressing their opinions, rather than logically arguing that they were being idiots.

Not saying thats what you meant to do, but it's really how it came off. Glad we're on the same page.

also, totally inb4 if Ridley is playable, on his dojo page, one of his screenshots is just a closeup of that branch, with no comment from sakurai

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
If Ridley appears on the Pyrosphere stage at Smash Fest, then he is a stage hazard, but SM Ridley is still a playable possibility.
If Ridley does not appear, it doesn't immediately confirm him playable, because his model might not be done or he is not ready to be shown for some reason.

So even at Smash Fest, we can't be 100% sure unless it's said outright.

Bad_Pantz

Smash Apprentice
@ B Bad_Pantz
What about Ridley being a boss is ignoring evidence? I'd love to know this, I want to improve my own argument.
The narrative we’re given. I may have gotten a little wordy in the details of my previous post, so I’ll try to be more concise.

What we’re given is clearly obfuscated. The ‘logical’ assumption is “hey look, boss section, Ridley shadow, Ridley’s a boss like Yellow Devil.” But when there is so much effort put into obscuring the fact rather than saying “Here’s Yellow Devil stage boss, also here’s Ridley stage boss,” that has to set off an alarm for critical thinking that goes “beep boop why didn’t he say the obvious thing?” Then “maybe it’s not the obvious thing…” follows.

What’s with all of the effort into misdirection if the end result is going to be that Ridley’s a boss? I see that this worked for a lot of people as there are posts all over every board saying “Ridley was already confirmed a boss/stage hazard in the direct.” If he’s a boss, why the tease? Very obviously to show that there may be something else, that the carefully chosen phrasing was just the tip of the iceberg. That Nintendo reps saying “there were hidden things” in the video mean it’s worth investigating things that weren’t explicitly stated. That the behavior and characteristics of the shadow along with the specific wording relating to Ridley in the direct do not point to him being a stage hazard. That the entire segment and all of the hype it would create (which they surely knew) would be a big payoff for fans of a specific character if he’s playable and only serve to sour part of their fanbase if he’s not. The tallies all stack on the playable character side when you look even a little bit into it.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
The narrative we’re given. I may have gotten a little wordy in the details of my previous post, so I’ll try to be more concise.

What we’re given is clearly obfuscated. The ‘logical’ assumption is “hey look, boss section, Ridley shadow, Ridley’s a boss like Yellow Devil.” But when there is so much effort put into obscuring the fact rather than saying “Here’s Yellow Devil stage boss, also here’s Ridley stage boss,” that has to set off an alarm for critical thinking that goes “beep boop why didn’t he say the obvious thing?” Then “maybe it’s not the obvious thing…” follows.

What’s with all of the effort into misdirection if the end result is going to be that Ridley’s a boss? I see that this worked for a lot of people as there are posts all over every board saying “Ridley was already confirmed a boss/stage hazard in the direct.” If he’s a boss, why the tease? Very obviously to show that there may be something else, that the carefully chosen phrasing was just the tip of the iceberg. That Nintendo reps saying “there were hidden things” in the video mean it’s worth investigating things that weren’t explicitly stated. That the behavior and characteristics of the shadow along with the specific wording relating to Ridley in the direct do not point to him being a stage hazard. That the entire segment and all of the hype it would create (which they surely knew) would be a big payoff for fans of a specific character if he’s playable and only serve to sour part of their fanbase if he’s not. The tallies all stack on the playable character side when you look even a little bit into it.
If you look at Ridley's tail when it flashes by on the screen during the Direct, the texture looks surprisingly low quality, especially for an HD game. It might just be that Ridley's model isn't done yet, and that's why he's not being shown. Although another reason for the obscurity might just be Ridley's immense popularity and the hype that this is creating.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
What’s with all of the effort into misdirection if the end result is going to be that Ridley’s a boss?
My guess is that if Ridley's not playable, Sakurai might be buying himself some time to fortify his home against the riots that would occur shortly afterward Ridley's boss status confirmation.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If Ridley appears on the Pyrosphere stage at Smash Fest, then he is a stage hazard, but SM Ridley is still a playable possibility.
If Ridley does not appear, it doesn't immediately confirm him playable, because his model might not be done or he is not ready to be shown for some reason.

So even at Smash Fest, we can't be 100% sure unless it's said outright.
A rumor is a troll will happen they show ridley as a hazard and then playable right after or a few minutes after

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
With magic, my friend.

That and overly sophisticated and ahead of its time technological devices.

But mostly magic.
I would have accepted boredom and grasping at straws, but I guess I can live with that.

Bad_Pantz

Smash Apprentice
If you look at Ridley's tail when it flashes by on the screen during the Direct, the texture looks surprisingly low quality, especially for an HD game. It might just be that Ridley's model isn't done yet, and that's why he's not being shown. Although another reason for the obscurity might just be Ridley's immense popularity and the hype that this is creating.

Do you really think they'd say to themselves "this isn't highly enough quality to show yet" and then let an ugly tail slip through? Do you think they would fully animate the shadow before finishing the model?

I think that's a finished texture on the tail spike. It's a bone, it's gritty. I expect it will still look the same at launch when zoomed in that close.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
My guess is that if Ridley's not playable, Sakurai might be buying himself some time to fortify his home against the riots that would occur shortly afterward Ridley's boss status confirmation.
I wouldn't expect a riot, half the Ridley fanbase is already dead after that shadow, the other will be drown in the excitement and scream of joy that is going to be bring by E3.

Top Bottom