• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Do you really think they'd say to themselves "this isn't highly enough quality to show yet" and then let an ugly tail slip through? Do you think they would fully animate the shadow before finishing the model?

I think that's a finished texture on the tail spike. It's a bone, it's gritty. I expect it will still look the same at launch when zoomed in that close.
I'm just offering a possibility. The vagueness is strange, I agree, and it's not something I'm going to ignore if I want to make an argument. I've seen the "Ridley is playable" and "He's just hyping the stage hazard" as reasons for his vagueness, but do you think it could be for a different reason?

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Do you really think they'd say to themselves "this isn't highly enough quality to show yet" and then let an ugly tail slip through? Do you think they would fully animate the shadow before finishing the model?

I think that's a finished texture on the tail spike. It's a bone, it's gritty. I expect it will still look the same at launch when zoomed in that close.
Yeah I was gonna say it being super zoomed in on will make it look lower quality.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Speaking of that pic, I'm going to try resurrecting a dead topic;

While on the surface, Smash Bros is spending a ton of focus on Other M, it appears that they're not neglecting other parts of the series.

Take a look at Mother Brain.

List of references:
Metroid: Rounded glass containment case, three neatly arranged tubes that reconnect to her gray matter rather than to the mechanical portions. Rinkas.
Zero Mission: "Lid" and "Base" similar in texture. Lacks mouth and teeth given in Super. Back cylinders resemble back tubes.
Super Metroid: Flashback Mother Brain also has rounded glass containment. The Laser Brain attack.

There's nothing that suggests this Mother Brain has any elements from Other M that hasn't been in previous iterations, not even eye color or jaws or anything.

Pics for reference:

It may not mean anything, but I like to imagine that Sakurai is going to surprise us with some more Prime or Fusion representation.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I just want to point out something: we've been arguing about the size of ridley a lot but there's far worse just look at how paper mario's arm would be too big

http://www.vgfacts.com/trivia/6003/
(trivia and content found and made by me)

When I found this, only one of them was taking my whole 40-ish inches LCD TV.

That would be more worthy to argue than ridley :troll:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
@Bad_Pantz Very good post.

Like this pic you mean and others?

I dunno what to think about this pic....but if its accurate then my...its something.....

View attachment 13628
Even with the wings spread that looks to be pretty small model for Ridley. Good enough to be playable I'd bet. I suspect that the Other M Ridley will fly on stage and if there is a playable Ridley they will use the same basic skeleton and animations but it would be Super Metroid Ridley.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Even with the wings spread that looks to be pretty small model for Ridley. Good enough to be playable I'd bet. I suspect that the Other M Ridley will fly on stage and if there is a playable Ridley they will use the same basic skeleton and animations but it would be Super Metroid Ridley.
I would hope that if there's two Ridleys that the Other M one would be slightly bigger. I mean SM Ridley's pretty big, but Other M's Ridley is massive.

majora_787

Smash Hero
How are people still arguing over the possibility of Ridley being unfinished. If you are claiming Ridley is unfinished, you are saying that the PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPERS working on SSB4 are *SO INCOMPETENT* that they can't finish a *SINGLE STAGE HAZARD* in at the very least six months. After six months of working on it, it is STILL so unfinished that they can't show it. But then they *DO* show it. They show a fully animated shadow and part of the model, which is even fully textured in what is shown.

... Is this SERIOUSLY considered to be a more likely scenario than Sakurai misleading slightly to build hype for a playable character? I'm genuinely curious.

EDIT: I don't know why I asked, considering this is a legitimate thing actual people somehow believe.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
@Bad_Pantz Very good post.

Like this pic you mean and others?

I dunno what to think about this pic....but if its accurate then my...its something.....

View attachment 13628
If you take off the wings you can fit a couple of Ridley shadow bodies into Mother Brains shadow. lol

I don't see it being a big deal if a Bowser sized character had rather large wings. They would most likely only ever look that big when in the air and when grounded his wings would fold up.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
So let's see what happened while I was gone since yesterday:

Derailment
Beaks
High heels
Rocks and clouds
More rocks and clouds
Arguments

Yep, all is normal at the Ridley thread.
:smirk:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Have you seen Other M Ridley. Samus fits entirely into his hand, but in SM he's maybe about 1 3/4 taller than Samus.
Yes. I have seen Other M Ridley. The thing about him is that his hands are gigantic. We were able to scale him down to playable size and he still could hold Samus with one hand.

But there is the issue of his changing sizes between one cutscene to the next...

@ Oasis_S Oasis_S or @Angelglory or someone else, could you get out a gigantic tape measure and compare really quick? I'm curious about this one.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Also before someone says "What about his wings clipping?!!?" Lets not forget these 2 pics of the day.....The man doesn't care about clipping...The man enjoys clipping.

Kirby and Samus

http://smashbros-miiverse.com/images/daily/daily-2013-08-05.jpg

Kirby and Yellow Devil

http://smashbros-miiverse.com/images/daily/daily-2013-07-01.jpg
Speaking of which, have any bosses or enemies in previous versions of Smash suffer clipping not brought upon by the player characters?

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
:/ I saw the cutscene of brawl and other m....and i think Roidley is actually smaller than Ridley...but his donkey kong-like arms and body make him look massive...maybe its just me....

Untitled.png

I did this out of boredom....

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
:/ I saw the cutscene of brawl and other m....and i think Roidley is actually smaller than Ridley...but his donkey kong-like arms and body make him look masive...mabe its just me....

View attachment 13633

I did this out of boredom....
Has anyone else noticed how freakishly big Ridley's head is in Brawl? His head as big as his body!

Even if Roidley lacked those neck muscles, at least I could believe that twiggy neck could support that head.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
One thing I haven't seen discussed very much recently is the significance of the big tunnel that was shown in a PotD, and how it affects arguments for and against the likeliness of Ridley being playable:

Sakurai's Miiverse comment: "Inside the corridor along one of the walls in Pyrosphere, a view that's really not visible in-game. You can't tell from the picture, but it's actually a gigantic open space."

Why show this as a PotD if it's simply an unseen part of the level geometry? It has to be hinting at something. But is it hinting at the possibility that Ridley flies through it on his route towards the hole/crack in the wall, which he then emerges from to attack players?

Or is it possible that there is much more to Pyrosphere than has been revealed so far, and perhaps players travel through this tunnel on a moving platform during the fight, on their way to other, as-yet-unrevealed sections of Pyrosphere? In this case, Sakurai's statement that it's "not really visible in-game" may be another intentionally misleading comment: what he may actually mean is that the tunnel is barely visible from the main area of the Geothermal Power Plant that we're al familiar with that's been shown in so many screenshots and videos.

If this is the case, this heightens the possibility that the teased Pyrosphere boss isn't Ridley, but instead another Pyrosphere boss from Other M.

Just some food for thought, since I think this picture and accompanying comment may provide some insight into Sakurai's plans for Pyrosphere as well as the hype/teasing game he's been playing.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
We know for a fact Smash 4 Ridley is smaller then Smash 4 Mother Brain by a good amount. Smash 4 Ridley is the smallest Ridley sense NES easily.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm not sure about the wall hole. I could see it being nothing more than Sakurai using a background object to misdirect people away from playable Ridley. Though really it's really just hard to say what it could be used for. Stages have useless background areas often enough, and at the end of the day we also don't know the true nature of Pyrosphere's hazards.

Staarih

Smash Master
Seeing as we got new, pretty unexpected info on the Boxing Ring stage, I wouldn't be surprised if there was more to Pyrosphere than we know of... but surely there's a reason for keeping any additional info under wraps though. We'll see in due time I guess.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Seeing as we got new, pretty unexpected info on the Boxing Ring stage, I wouldn't be surprised if there was more to Pyrosphere than we know of... but surely there's a reason for keeping any additional info under wraps though. We'll see in due time I guess.
The most apparent would be to make people think that the only hazard is Ridley being a boss so that his reveal would be a surprise.But other than that, who knows.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
I sure hope so. If we don't get an answer by the end of E3 I think I'll go crazy.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Has anyone else noticed how freakishly big Ridley's head is in Brawl? His head as big as his body!

Even if Roidley lacked those neck muscles, at least I could believe that twiggy neck could support that head.
IMG00014.jpg

xD The thing that I will always ask myself is....how is he able to swallow with that bone neck.....the only 3D designs that I have seen that have a neck that doesn't look so thin are Omega and Roidley.....xD i love making these out of boredom things

I must thank again @BaganSmashBros for those references

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@ Oasis_S Oasis_S or @Angelglory or someone else, could you get out a gigantic tape measure and compare really quick? I'm curious about this one.

This was neat. Was pretty curious myself.

The one closest to Samus is sort of an estimate on his hand size from Super Metroid (1.2m), the next one is its size from Brawl (1.5m), and obviously the last one is its size from Other M (1.8m). Though his Other M and Brawl hands are basically the same size, his fingers are just longer in Other M.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I think the real question here is: can this topic reach 666 pages before E3?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

This was neat. Was pretty curious myself.

The one closest to Samus is sort of an estimate on his hand size from Super Metroid (1.2m), the next one is its size from Brawl (1.5m), and obviously the last one is its size from Other M (1.8m). Though his Other M and Brawl hands are basically the same size, his fingers are just longer in Other M.
Do you have on hand an estimate on the overall size of Super Metroid Ridley and Roidley as well?

Last edited:

Serpdrako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Imperfect_Scars
3DS FC
3136-6642-7063
Considering we go through several pages in a day (sometimes in a few hours, depending on the discussion), we'll likely reach 700+ before then.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So if Ridley is confirmed to be playable once and for all at E3, what will your reactions be?

I would probably be too happy to try to rage at Sakurai for trolling us for the past year or so.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
HELL YES.
View attachment 13635

xD The thing that I will always ask myself is....how is he able to swallow with that bone neck.....the only 3D designs that I have seen that have a neck that doesn't look so thin are Omega and Roidley.....xD i love making these out of boredom things

I must thank again @BaganSmashBros for those references
His neck may be able to expand like snake`s to swallow large pieces or he shreds food to very small pieces in his mouth and then swallows. Who knows...
Have you seen Other M Ridley. Samus fits entirely into his hand, but in SM he's maybe about 1 3/4 taller than Samus.
SM Ridley still can grab Samus in his hand, but not as easily as Roidley since he has smaller arms and he is just not as bulky, so, It doesn`t helps anyhow. Unless Roidley would be resized SM Ridley of course.
So if Ridley is confirmed to be playable once and for all at E3, what will your reactions be?

I would probably be too happy to try to rage at Sakurai for trolling us for the past year or so.
I will break something, kill something, then crush everyone while hugging them, etc, from over excitment and happiness. I doubt i will break something...and i won`t kill something real of course.

Last edited:

Serpdrako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Imperfect_Scars
3DS FC
3136-6642-7063

Of course I would be happy of his appearance as a Smash fighter, but I would probably keep my cool be overjoyed scream in complete bliss pretty much have a heart attack and wake up to celebrate my most wanted newcomer's introduction!!

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
Man, this thread gets hard to read sometimes. There's only so many times you can see the exact same argument happen over and over again, each time failing to convince anyone of anything, before it starts to get tiresome and perhaps a little upsetting. I keep seeing people put forth an argument, then not only fail to actually refute counterarguments, but restate the original argument almost completely unaltered, as if the other side had simply made fart noises in response and they clearly must not have read it right or else they'd have been easily swayed. Then this keeps happening, those involved not already doing it start doing it, things in general start rapidly falling apart, and ta-dah! It's now boiled down to "You're in denial, listen to me!" versus "No, you're in denial, listen to me!", though in all likelihood that was being thrown around from the start.

I get there's really not much that can be done to curb - or at least improve - this until more information is released, but it's still pretty frustrating to see happen again and again when it's so blatant that barely anybody has ended one of those arguments with even a slightly changed perspective on things, and when it so often just turns unnecessarily nasty.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Man, this thread gets hard to read sometimes. There's only so many times you can see the exact same argument happen over and over again, each time failing to convince anyone of anything, before it starts to get tiresome and perhaps a little upsetting. I keep seeing people put forth an argument, then not only fail to actually refute counterarguments, but restate the original argument almost completely unaltered, as if the other side had simply made fart noises in response and they clearly must not have read it right or else they'd have been easily swayed. Then this keeps happening, those involved not already doing it start doing it, things in general start rapidly falling apart, and ta-dah! It's now boiled down to "You're in denial, listen to me!" versus "No, you're in denial, listen to me!", though in all likelihood that was being thrown around from the start.

I get there's really not much that can be done to curb - or at least improve - this until more information is released, but it's still pretty frustrating to see happen again and again when it's so blatant that barely anybody has ended one of those arguments with even a slightly changed perspective on things, and when it so often just turns unnecessarily nasty.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Do you have on hand an estimate on the overall size of Super Metroid Ridley and Roidley as well?

It's possible the Super Ridley estimation is off, but that's because it's hard to match one design to another since their proportions don't match. I think what I have here would be on the taller end of any estimations though.

I mean, you can give a number to the height presented by the sprite in Super Metroid, which is about 4.1m, but he's not standing straight like the models here. The size of the model here can scrunch down to 4.1m and look like he's standing "normally," but because his limbs are longer than in Super Metroid, that means he's overall larger here. NOT TERRIBLY SO, maybe 10%, but y'know just putting that out there.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

This happens every time someone brings one of those vague arguments like him appearing in Yellow Devil section, that PotD quote, his size (rarely), etc. It will stop only if he will be confirmed/deconfirmed or when Earth/humans will cease to exist. It annoying and everyone is tired of those things here as far as i know. Its pointless to bring them up since it will do nothing other than annoy someone unless Sakurai will say that by himself. No one can change someone`s opinion, only said person can for whatever reasons he/she wants to. For now, we can only wait, analyze things and post fan art. And go off-topic. It won`t help Ridley`s chances, but it helps us to wait without getting tired too quickly...at least in my case...Anyway, we are bored and we are waiting for confirmation of Ridley`s fate as at least something.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
The narrative we’re given. I may have gotten a little wordy in the details of my previous post, so I’ll try to be more concise.

What we’re given is clearly obfuscated. The ‘logical’ assumption is “hey look, boss section, Ridley shadow, Ridley’s a boss like Yellow Devil.” But when there is so much effort put into obscuring the fact rather than saying “Here’s Yellow Devil stage boss, also here’s Ridley stage boss,” that has to set off an alarm for critical thinking that goes “beep boop why didn’t he say the obvious thing?” Then “maybe it’s not the obvious thing…” follows.

What’s with all of the effort into misdirection if the end result is going to be that Ridley’s a boss? I see that this worked for a lot of people as there are posts all over every board saying “Ridley was already confirmed a boss/stage hazard in the direct.” If he’s a boss, why the tease? Very obviously to show that there may be something else, that the carefully chosen phrasing was just the tip of the iceberg. That Nintendo reps saying “there were hidden things” in the video mean it’s worth investigating things that weren’t explicitly stated. That the behavior and characteristics of the shadow along with the specific wording relating to Ridley in the direct do not point to him being a stage hazard. That the entire segment and all of the hype it would create (which they surely knew) would be a big payoff for fans of a specific character if he’s playable and only serve to sour part of their fanbase if he’s not. The tallies all stack on the playable character side when you look even a little bit into it.
You all Remember this Bull* that was posted hours after the direct or was it the next day after on FB.

Wow......this is just being a Asshole RealTalk how can you post this after?
Serious?

No wonder PeePz are MaD...if obvious becomes fact then Space pirates be MaD and that is not fricking cool.......

(Trying so hard not to swear...)
.sorry just rememberd this pic to show and remind people this is pisstake no matter how or who looks at it.

(RealTalk Moment:)

''Look i understand people support chracters that they want to be playable in Smash everytime one is being made some chars get in some dont i get that i understand that do i like it? Well no if its a char i want but im mature enough to deal with it.

I get it hes not gonna add all fandom newcomers but every smash game atleast theres 5/6 fandom chars about 50/-60Percent

Brawl:

DeDeDe
Metaknight
Diddy Kong
Pit
Wario
Olimar
These were all popular deserving & wanted
Hell the game was delayed to Fandom Sonic
(i believe the Sal leak)

This game we gotta fair ammount of Fandom too

Little Mac
Palutena
Chrom
MEGAMAN
Shulk
Greninja (wasent requested much but people are happy)

And this is coming from someone who Brawl didnt add no one for instead took something away from me....Mewtwo.

I can handle Ridley or K.Rool not making it if Mewtwo Returns but if your gonna tease this hard and take the utter piss i cant handle that....

Thats jst being a Prick on a different level uncalled for''

Please someone tellme how this picture aint taking the piss.....

downloadfile-9.jpeg

Top Bottom