• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
rocket_heels_by_monster_man_08-d7h6sjn (1).jpg

Oh my God.....those DAMN heels...they are contagious! D:

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
This thread goes into some weird places sometimes. But at least it's entertaining. But to be on topic, I'm still holding out a bit of hope that Ridley is playable. At the very worst, he's a boss. I feel as if Sakurai is being coy on purpose, but I could be wrong. And if he is playable, I'd probably stick with the Zero-Mission Ridley color swap.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
If a man is certain of Ridley being a fighter, he has no brain.

If a man is certain of Ridley being a boss, he has no heart. :awesome:
Either way, he dies because he lack those internal organs.
I enter the Ridley thread to find conversations of beak stroking... The hell?
...SCIENCE!
View attachment 13620

Oh my God.....those DAMN heels...they are contagious! D:
Um...why does Nightmare wears them on his arms while Ridl- STUPID SEXY RIDLEY! I CAN`T UNSEE HIM!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Does the thread even take itself or anything seriously anymore? I scratch my head wondering why the hell I just read the last however many pages I missed from not being on another day.

Staarih

Smash Master
I always get stressed when this thread has jumped many pages and I feel like I've missed so much of great discussion...

...but then I see it and I'm like, oh well. At least the thread is active and entertaining haha!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah... I'm pondering on whether to respond to a couple lengthy posts from several pages ago, but it may not be worth it at this point, as those conversations have already passed.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Does the thread even take itself or anything seriously anymore? I scratch my head wondering why the hell I just read the last however many pages I missed from not being on another day.
Not really, we either over analyze things, post Ridley-related things like fan art and go off-topic. That will continue until Ridley`s confirmation/deconfirmation. In former outcome`s case, we will move to his own thread and do all of this stuff again and again, but without over analyzing and possibly without fan art.
Yeah... I'm pondering on whether to respond to a couple lengthy posts from several pages ago, but it may not be worth it at this point, as those conversations have already passed.
Respond to whatever you want unless its too late to respond.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Oh wow, that's really just grasping for straws there. Why would Sakurai hint at Pac-Man through a reveal trailer for a Pokemon newcomer? I would've thought the Namco-Bandai items shown in the Direct would be good enough.

Then again, I'm finding myself worried about Sakurai's sanity regarding the constant hints and nods towards Ridkey's presence in SSB4.
Ehh Its one thing to doubt the Pac-Man cloud....(Even though I think thats what it is)

But there is just no way that Ridley NES sprite in the rock formations is by accident....JUST NO WAY. The shape is absolutely 100% put in there intentionally. Hidden well cause your eyes naturally focus on Greninja.

Kinda goes back to this link...

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/nintendo-employee-says-smash-direct-is-hiding-a-few-things#.U2i2OnCzYk0

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ehh Its one thing to doubt the Pac-Man cloud....(Even though I think thats what it is)

But there is just no way that Ridley NES sprite in the rock formations is by accident....JUST NO WAY. The shape is absolutely 100% put in there intentionally. Hidden well cause your eyes naturally focus on Greninja.

Kinda goes back to this link...

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/nintendo-employee-says-smash-direct-is-hiding-a-few-things#.U2i2OnCzYk0
You know...i think we are slowly losing sanity while waiting for confirmation or deconfirmation since we started to analyze ROCKS AND CLOUDS. What will be next? Sounds? Reflection in Sakurai`s eyes?! Or we are bored so much we analyze such things.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
You know...i think we are slowly losing sanity while waiting for confirmation or deconfirmation since we started to analyze ROCKS AND CLOUDS. What will be next? Sounds? Reflection in Sakurai`s eyes?! Or we are bored so much we analyze such things.
Next we analyze infrared waves of Sakurai's body.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Next we analyze infrared waves of Sakurai's body.
Or his body temperature and thoughts through mind-reading machine! But first we must dissect that direct video and see what it is made of. Oh, and we must get one of the creators of Ridley part of direct`s brain and analyze it! Our Science Team will enjoy this!...but they still have vapour for bra- *promptly shot*

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
OH, I get why people are over analyzing it now

Because of that statement

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Someone said that Ridleys shadow was the size near if not slightly bigger then bowser? Is this true? Sorry haven't been on this thread in a long time :(

Just wondering if new analysis stuff was found

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ok, now for 2nd part of why we have this thread:
Someone said that Ridleys shadow was the size near if not slightly bigger then bowser? Is this true? Sorry haven't been on this thread in a long time :(

Just wondering if new analysis stuff was found
Well, at least close to what you`ve said. New analysis stuff? Well, we found rock formation shaped like NES Ridley nearly perfectly in Greninja trailer and just tree with part of it being shaped like Ridley`s head and neck.

And i have an idea - how about posting list of all members of our "Science Team" (those guys who analyze and over analyze things) on the front page? Just something i had in my mind. Its unimportant of course and i just can`t forget those guys from Prime games that had vapour for brains.

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Last one, Ridley have been talked to death since melee, we have nothing to talk about who haven't been brought up hundreds of times already, we're just borred space pirates, borred at the point that we either :

-Over analyze every single new thing that we got, just look at the shadow discussion for exemple, in less than a month we have talked more about that 10 second video than Palutena have been talked in general in her own thread in nearly 2 years.

-Or go off topic and talked about the weirdest things just because it's something about Ridley that we haven't talked about yet and it avoid us to talk about Ridley's moveset and Ridley's size for the 8264 time.

Not that I complain, I love this thread, it's the only one that I'm active on =p (even if way less now than before the direct).

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Last one, Ridley have been talked to death since melee, we have nothing to talk about who haven't been brought up hundreds of times already, we're just borred space pirates, borred at the point that we either :

-Over analyze every single new thing that we got, just look at the shadow discussion for exemple, in less than a month we have talked more about that 10 second video than Palutena have been talked in general in her own thread in nearly 2 years.

-Or go off topic and talked about the weirdest things just because it's something about Ridley that we haven't talked about yet and it avoid us to talk about Ridley's moveset and Ridley's size for the 8264 time.

Not that I complain, I love this thread, it's the only one that I'm active on =p (even if way less now than before the direct).
Well, Ridley is TOO BIG to have a small thread, right?
And off-topic things here is something that is not related to Ridley or metroid franchise at all like Toad and Mario Kart discussion. But yeah, we rarely talk about his size and moveset.
And that is the only thread i reply on.
Wait what Rock is shaped like Ridley? Like what part of the video?
Yoink!

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Look here. Pause right away. (Spam pause/play a few times to inch closer) Its in the rock formations.

http://youtu.be/BgmC56ndgeg?t=1m14s

Then look at the NES sprite here for reference.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111230141333/villains/images/7/73/Ridley_(NES).png

Its there 100% Sakurai is messing with us.
Ninja`d you...right?
And i think its not something he wanted to do since WHO WOULD ANALYZE A ROCK FORMATION AND JUST LOOK AT IT FOR MORE THAN 5 MINUTES?!

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Ninja`d you...right?
And i think its not something he wanted to do since WHO WOULD ANALYZE A ROCK FORMATION AND JUST LOOK AT IT FOR MORE THAN 5 MINUTES?!
ME!!! lol

Ridley sticks out like a sore thumb now that its pointed out. Like I said a Pac-man cloud with a simple design can be questioned this CANNOT! Without a doubt they knew what they were doing when making that more complex NES Ridley shape.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
ME!!! lol

Ridley sticks out like a sore thumb now that its pointed out. Like I said a Pac-man cloud with a simple design can be questioned this CANNOT! Without a doubt they knew what they were doing when making that more complex NES Ridley shape.
...NES Ridley for Smash 4! But yeah, its kinda suspicious...hm...

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
...NES Ridley for Smash 4! But yeah, its kinda suspicious...hm...
Reminds me of this back in the Brawl days lol. Ganondorf, Master Hand, Bowser, and Ridley.

But this situation is much more different. This was just showing the main villains of Subspace Emissary.

Ridley in the rocks is just random and feels more like a hint lol.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not really, we either over analyze things, post Ridley-related things like fan art and go off-topic. That will continue until Ridley`s confirmation/deconfirmation. In former outcome`s case, we will move to his own thread and do all of this stuff again and again, but without over analyzing and possibly without fan art.

Respond to whatever you want unless its too late to respond.
Screw it then. Some response time:

Retro will likely complete a DKC: Returns triology before making another Metroid. Why kill their DKC-vibe? Mother Brain and Dark Samus are already ATs. Adam Malkovich is dead in the series, and likely won't be featured in another game, whilst Anthony easily could. He's thusfar the only potential reoccuring supporter character. And supporting cast is really missing in Metroid. Also: a supportive 'second banana' character always gets in Smash before the villain.

See: Luigi :luigi64: Jigglypuff :jigglypuff64: Falco :falcomelee: Diddy :diddy:
Adam's only dead in body. He lives on as a computerized CO, so I don't see why he wouldn't be in another Metroid after Fusion.

Those character examples at least had a decent history with Nintendo before being added to Smash though... Anthony would need at least a little more time and exposure before being deserving of it like those other sidekicks if you ask me, else he'd just feel like he was shoehorned into Smash. If he does get more appearances though then I'd even be a bit more accepting of him getting in over Ridley than I am currently (just as most others would be if Dixie got in over K. Rool), since supporting characters having priority before villains are added is already a trend as pointed out.

Think the whole deal about Ridley is just a full blown-up internet hype thing that has gone wayyy out of hand. I mean, with the technologic advance between Smash 64 and Melee, yes sure one COULD HAVE slight hopes for Ridley after seeing him in the Melee trailer. But the fact that Melee couldn't even balance 'weirdly shapen characters' as, Bowser and Mewtwo would really give you hope for him in Brawl? Too many people thought so. Even too many people where ignorantly screaming that Ridley should be put in before anyone, this is before even the obvious needed characters as :warioc: :diddy: :dedede: :metaknight: and :pit: where added. Even :ike: :olimar: and :pt: supporters had way more to say in this matter than the overly-load Ridley fanbase.
I wouldn't deny either that most (if not all) those Brawl newcomers deserved to get in over Ridley at least, but regardless of balance, don't see what's wrong with people to have wanted Ridley in Brawl or hoped for him as much as they did. I loved :mewtwomelee: and :bowsermelee: despite the lack of balance with them.

The fact that :zerosuitsamus: got in should've satisfied the true Metroid fans. Seeing as Samus is literally the only 'character' Metroid has. Yes, tell me more about that manga and stuff... Doesn't matter much. Ridley serves it's role as boss, a beast that wants Samus's blood. Sure, there's a backstory, but what really do we see of that in the games? This is not similar at all to say, the situation Mewtwo is / was in. Mewtwo had tons of more content to draw personality from.

So really, unless Ridley starts to actually influence any sort of plot in Metroid, or better yet: starts to talk like he's supposed to be able to I wouldn't expect him in Smash. The fact Sakurai even references him so much should already have some of you being grateful. Two time boss status in Brawl is already a great sign of respect. And I feel so is him being a 'stage hazard' in PyroSphere. Why? A whole stage being 'given' to Ridley, and having to fight him (he's probably gonna be one of the hardest bosses in the game) isn't bad. Plus, Metroid got a few new ATs for more representation.
Based on this much I'm really questioning how much Metroid you've actually played now, at least after implying that Ridley hasn't influenced any sort of plot in the series. Like, there's so much wrong with that, I'd feel insulted to even bother counter-pointing. And I doubt Sakurai cares much whether Ridley talks or how much of his and Samus's backstories are actually shown in the games when looking into potential characters, based on others he's chosen as playable. The amount of ATs Metroid's gotten this time around would make sense though (representation-wise) if it doesn't get another newcomer.

As for Zero Suit Samus, whether people count her as a 2nd character or not (I accept it; don't like that she got in over Ridley but I accept it), of course not every Metroid fan would be satisfied with her addition alone when even the deceased Star Fox series had three characters (one of which could be considered a villain)... And with how you are towards like :sheik:, it's kinda self-righteous hypocritical of you to tell us Ridley fans how "grateful" we should be of :zerosuitsamus: and everything (Ridley fans aren't any worse when it comes to Zamus than you are towards Sheik ironically, lol). I'm not gonna attack your fandom of Impa or other characters in some attempt of a petty comeback like other people constantly have, but still.

Sorry, had to get this off my chest. Don't get me wrong, supporting Ridley is fine, but watch the arrogance of the tone you guys are setting. It's getting far more blown up than it ever should've been. Doubt that anyone outside of the internet is so seriously hyped about Ridley, not without having been told about Ridley. And I guess that's where the main source of problems lie for playable Ridley.
You may be right about the tone some here are setting (I dunno, haven't been as frequent on this thread as I used to be), but uh.. As for that last comment, I've casually known or talked to at least a few outside the internet (that don't regularly visit forums) who think Ridley would be an awesome character addition for Smash from Metroid AND without me bringing it up to them first. Was pleasantly surprised to have witnessed support for him like that outside cyberspace, and I doubt I'm the only one who can relate. It's no myth that Ridley/Metroid has plenty popularity in the west like Mac.

Ridley shouldn't have been in Melee. If anything, characters like :dedede::diddy: and :warioc: would.
Ridley shouldn't have been in Brawl either. All newcomers outside of :snake::sonic::ivysaur: and :rob: deserved it more.
And even in this game, I feel Ridley just isn't on par with the likes of :4megaman::4littlemac::4villager::4greninja::rosalina:and :4wiifit: (even if I myself don't quite like all these characters either)

Again, I mean no big disrespect, but again: I feel Ridley has been overhyped ever since the beginning 'support' of him started to emerge.

Ask yourself this, overly-proud supporters of the purple space dragon:

If it wasn't for this trailer:

Would you have supported Ridley in?

Honest answers please!
I agree that Ridley shouldn't of been in Melee with how Metroid was still dead at the time (or idle due to the post-Super Metroid drought). Brawl? Maybe, maybe not, but it was within reason for him to have had at least some popular support by then with Metroid's revival and him becoming established as a more significant foe than ever (the manga being advertised on Metroid's official site and all that). Smash 4? Strongly disagree that he's not on par with some of those other characters, but if he's not in this time then I reckon he won't ever be until maybe someone other than Sakurai takes the helm of Smash. What reason Sakurai may have for not seeing Ridley as playable material is anyone's guess, but with previous updates he himself showed how characters' canon sizes don't mean **** for Smash Bros, so let us not get into any of that "he couldn't of worked" shenanigans. And gliding being removed didn't exactly stop :charizard: from becoming a solo character either.

I know you mean well and no disrespect intended toward you either (still respect you plenty as a user/person in fact), but had to be brutally honest on some points made or things said... And the Melee intro would not of changed that much of how I see Ridley as a potential/plausible addition. If he was flipping a stage around like Kraid in Melee on the other hand, then it'd be a different story, but even without the Melee intro, Ridley still stage cameo'ed in the N64 original (with his Super Metroid sprite) like Dedede did if I recall right, so yeah. =p

Last edited:

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I think we need more Ridley scientists looking for evidence of his arrival in smash.

I have my thoughts the reveal of Ridley may have happened earlier than we may all thought. This is undeniably the presumed skeleton of whatever creature came from little birdie.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
No, this is what happens when you get at least 100 peoples bored and doomed to wait for confirmation/deconfirmation of their favourite character.
It's also what happens when these people ignore the already given facts that he's a bloody stage hazard... ah well. E3 should clear things up, one way or another.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
It's also what happens when these people ignore the already given facts that he's a bloody stage hazard... ah well. E3 should clear things up, one way or another.
Define "facts." There's evidence pointing to him being a stage boss, but unless Sakurai proclaims Ridley, by name mind you, is or is not a character, "facts" account for nothing.

Remember: it was a "fact" Toon Link was deconfirmed, and look who's back now. While I'll concede boss Ridley is way more likely, playable Ridley isn't out of this game yet.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Define "facts." There's evidence pointing to him being a stage boss, but unless Sakurai proclaims Ridley, by name mind you, is or is not a character, "facts" account for nothing.

Remember: it was a "fact" Toon Link was deconfirmed, and look who's back now. While I'll concede boss Ridley is way more likely, playable Ridley isn't out of this game yet.
The Toon Link argument isn't really enough... Toon Link is a background character while Ridley actually interacts with the fighters on the stage. Something like that is difficult to replace. On the other hand Other M Ridley is a clone of the original, so it is possible for two Ridleys to be on the stage at the same time, but it comes down to whether Sakurai wants two Ridleys in the game.

Facts? You mean the ones you don't have.
Tell me more about how Sakurai has never talked about Ridley on Pyrosphere.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Get out this thread, dude. Please. There are no facts, for god's sake.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
The Toon Link argument isn't really enough... Toon Link is a background character while Ridley actually interacts with the fighters on the stage. Something like that is difficult to replace. On the other hand Other M Ridley is a clone of the original, so it is possible for two Ridleys to be on the stage at the same time, but it comes down to whether Sakurai wants two Ridleys in the game.

Tell me more about how Sakurai has never talked about Ridley on Pyrosphere.
Ok.....He has never talked about Ridley on Pyroshere. Never even spoke Ridley's name once. Now there is a fact for you.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Ok.....He has never talked about Ridley on Pyroshere. Never even spoke Ridley's name once. Now there is a fact for you.
Get out this thread, dude. Please. There are no facts, for god's sake.
I'll rephrase it then. They're not "facts" but it's pretty strong hinting. When he says an enemy from Samus's past, when he shows Ridley's shadow, he knows he is talking about Ridley. I've heard the "he hints around too much" argument already, but flip it around for a second. If Ridley was playable, why would Sakurai be hinting him as a stage hazard so much? He would be saying nothing at all, like he has done with every other newcomer.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I'll rephrase it then. They're not "facts" but it's pretty strong hinting. When he says an enemy from Samus's past, when he shows Ridley's shadow, he knows he is talking about Ridley. I've heard the "he hints around too much" argument already, but flip it around for a second. If Ridley was playable, why would Sakurai be hinting him as a stage hazard so much? He would be saying nothing at all, like he has done with every other newcomer.
Just making sure we are talking about the same man who lied and said this....

http://youtu.be/X7eiegi83mc?t=30s

Yes you can say that he was just joking and told us right away but the point still stands. Sakurai enjoys messing with us. He also basically confirmed Palutena with that Pseudo Palutena fakeout and I think he basically confirmed Ridley with the shadow fakeout. I feel there is way more going for Ridley then against him and thats not just based off what I'm saying right now. We will see who's side is right very shortly.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Just making sure we are talking about the same man who lied and said this....

http://youtu.be/X7eiegi83mc?t=30s

Yes you can say that he was just joking and told us right away but the point still stands. Sakurai enjoys messing with us. He also basically confirmed Palutena with that Pseudo Palutena fakeout and I think he basically confirmed Ridley with the shadow fakeout. I feel there is way more going for Ridley then against him and thats not just based off what I'm saying right now. We will see who's side is right very shortly.
"Basically confirmed Ridley"

Ok, he's basically confirmed Ridley by saying an enemy from Samus' past will appear on Pyrosphere, and someone with Ridley's shadow (and visible tail) is a boss appearance. Personally I think he is a stage hazard no matter what, and Ridley's only chance to be playable is that the original (non-cloned Ridley) is playable. That way the stage hazard thing would work out. Cloned Ridley is a bit bigger than original Ridley, so that's a point in his favour. You can't just twist the meaning of everything he says to what you want, he knows what he means.

Edit: "whose side is right" You seem to think I don't want Ridley in the game. I would love to see him as a playable character, but you have to look at it from both perspectives. I'm not just going to blindly hope.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
"Basically confirmed Ridley"

Ok, he's basically confirmed Ridley by saying an enemy from Samus' past will appear on Pyrosphere, and someone with Ridley's shadow (and visible tail) is a boss appearance. Personally I think he is a stage hazard no matter what, and Ridley's only chance to be playable is that the original (non-cloned Ridley) is playable. That way the stage hazard thing would work out. Cloned Ridley is a bit bigger than original Ridley, so that's a point in his favour. You can't just twist the meaning of everything he says to what you want, he knows what he means.
I also said "Thats not just based off what I'm saying right now." There is way more going for him then just that. Interestingly phrased words in a pic of the day/direct and a shadow does not equal stage hazard/boss.

Keep telling yourself what you like.

Top Bottom