• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
One thing I haven't seen discussed very much recently is the significance of the big tunnel that was shown in a PotD, and how it affects arguments for and against the likeliness of Ridley being playable:

Sakurai's Miiverse comment: "Inside the corridor along one of the walls in Pyrosphere, a view that's really not visible in-game. You can't tell from the picture, but it's actually a gigantic open space."

Why show this as a PotD if it's simply an unseen part of the level geometry? It has to be hinting at something. But is it hinting at the possibility that Ridley flies through it on his route towards the hole/crack in the wall, which he then emerges from to attack players?

Or is it possible that there is much more to Pyrosphere than has been revealed so far, and perhaps players travel through this tunnel on a moving platform during the fight, on their way to other, as-yet-unrevealed sections of Pyrosphere? In this case, Sakurai's statement that it's "not really visible in-game" may be another intentionally misleading comment: what he may actually mean is that the tunnel is barely visible from the main area of the Geothermal Power Plant that we're al familiar with that's been shown in so many screenshots and videos.

If this is the case, this heightens the possibility that the teased Pyrosphere boss isn't Ridley, but instead another Pyrosphere boss from Other M.

Just some food for thought, since I think this picture and accompanying comment may provide some insight into Sakurai's plans for Pyrosphere as well as the hype/teasing game he's been playing.
If this hole is actually not visible in-game, then why bother showing it at all?

I always thought that hole is suspicious...it is possible that the hole can fit the GEOTHERMAL POWER PLANT platform and move the stage into others areas of the Pyrosphere Sector from Other M.

Take a look at this:

In all honesty, don't these purple crystals beneath the stage platform strike you as odd? I assume that these things levitate the stage...since there is no pillar supporting the stage.

They look like JETS to me...:idea:...Maybe those crystals would move the Geothermal Power Plant platform towards the Big Hole on the wall and a roller coaster ride starts all over the Pyrosphere?

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Seeing as we don't have any other Ridactly's to look at, how do you think Ridley's species works colour wise, were they all Purple?
Orcould they have been all colours across the rainbow?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Seeing as we don't have any other Ridactly's to look at, how do you think Ridley's species works colour wise, were they all Purple?
You mean like a Yoshi?

...I wonder if the two are related...

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
It's obvious that the K. Rool and Ridley support groups are in close tandem with each other, but I must ask this: If both characters got in the roster, which one would you play as first?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ridley can change his color as he wishes, so, they can be colored as they want. This means that they can be colored in any way and change color whenever they want to. It wasn`t something that only Roidley could do since he changed color at least once - between events of Zero Mission and Prime.
It's obvious that the K. Rool and Ridley support groups are in close tandem with each other, but I must ask this: If both characters got in the roster, which one would you play as first?
Of course not as Ridley. Why would i first chose him when i have him used as icon for every account other than deviantart one?..yeah, Ridley, hands down. Unless i will need to unlock him by using K. Rool somehow.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
One thing I haven't seen discussed very much recently is the significance of the big tunnel that was shown in a PotD, and how it affects arguments for and against the likeliness of Ridley being playable:

Sakurai's Miiverse comment: "Inside the corridor along one of the walls in Pyrosphere, a view that's really not visible in-game. You can't tell from the picture, but it's actually a gigantic open space."

Why show this as a PotD if it's simply an unseen part of the level geometry? It has to be hinting at something. But is it hinting at the possibility that Ridley flies through it on his route towards the hole/crack in the wall, which he then emerges from to attack players?

Or is it possible that there is much more to Pyrosphere than has been revealed so far, and perhaps players travel through this tunnel on a moving platform during the fight, on their way to other, as-yet-unrevealed sections of Pyrosphere? In this case, Sakurai's statement that it's "not really visible in-game" may be another intentionally misleading comment: what he may actually mean is that the tunnel is barely visible from the main area of the Geothermal Power Plant that we're al familiar with that's been shown in so many screenshots and videos.

If this is the case, this heightens the possibility that the teased Pyrosphere boss isn't Ridley, but instead another Pyrosphere boss from Other M.

Just some food for thought, since I think this picture and accompanying comment may provide some insight into Sakurai's plans for Pyrosphere as well as the hype/teasing game he's been playing.
Would have thought a simple boxing stage still has secrets......
i wouldnt pit nothing past Sakurai

zlCfzR49WlwfvFEqPb.jpeg

majora_787

Smash Hero
This is actually a really interesting analysis of Pyrosphere. Considering it IS called "Pyrosphere" and not "Geothermal Plant", and it HAS traded out its large support column for strange tubes... As well as the fact that the hole in question is different from how it is in Other M, instead going off on an infinity hallway into who knows where...

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
You guys do know that the column is still there, right?
Heh I feel silly.

But now that the holes in the walls have my attention.....Comparing the holes to the size of the door can Ridley even fit through the holes without being downsized? The holes look smaller or about the same size as the door.

I don't think Ridley is a stage hazard but how hilarious would it be if Ridley just walks through the door all casual instead of coming out of the holes all crazy. lol

NastCF

Smash Apprentice
I just noticed that the hole below and to the left of the circular hole has the shape of Ridley's head. xP

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The whole has a gigantic open space so something gigantic can fit through it

Serpdrako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Imperfect_Scars
3DS FC
3136-6642-7063
I actually kind of like the idea of the stage moving to different sections of the Pyrosphere. With the strange purple tube-like things that are absent from Other M, the major difference in the hole that Ridley flew through, and the fact that the stage is called "Pyrosphere" as opposed to "Geothermal Power Plant." These may not mean a thing at all knowing Sakurai, but I would be perfectly fine with it. Although that might just be because I want Ridley in and that could point to him being a character as much as I would hate it, he could still be a hazard on that specific section of the Pyrosphere, and then moves to another boss such as Vorash in another area.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I think Hazardley would just hang around in the background plane and smoke a cig between the periods where he has to come in and wreck **** up.

majora_787

Smash Hero
More like he gets high, and then slowly flails onto the stage and hugs up on people. That's what seemed to be happening in the direct, anyway. :p

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
More like he gets high, and then slowly flails onto the stage and hugs up on people. That's what seemed to be happening in the direct, anyway. :p
I don't know why but the image of a rastafari Roidley came to my mind....

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
First Zero Suit Ridley, then Maidley, and now Rastaley?
. . . . . . .
I don't even know anymore

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
I have a theory, but a sad one. Maybe Sakurai was trying to announce Ridley as a non playable character in a nicer way by only showing his shadow to let his fans down easier, and the TWO Metroid assists are to make up for it, as well as ZSS return as her own character.

(Or he is just a HUGE troll.) Most likely the latter.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I have a theory, but a sad one. Maybe Sakurai was trying to announce Ridley as a non playable character in a nicer way by only showing his shadow to let his fans down easier, and the TWO Metroid assists are to make up for it, as well as ZSS return as her own character.

(Or he is just a HUGE troll.) Most likely the latter.
Please explain how its nicer? I think its the complete opposite of nicer.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Silently letting you down, with quiet apology, rather than reveling your most wanted newcomer will never be playable for the sole reason of the same reason you have argued for years. Plus Two assists and a character. Seems nice enough, compared to other deconfirmed characters.
Imagine an alternate reality which Sakurai showed Ridley as a boss. I think it is better if we don't. Boss

majora_787

Smash Hero
It IS nicer. I've used the cake analogy before, but the fact of the matter is, it's nicer to let someone know when something is going to not happen. It's NOT nicer to give people false hopes for extensive periods of time and then springing the worst news on them afterwards. It is the exact opposite of nice, ESPECIALLY if it's done on purpose. And I don't know how that kind of thing can be done on accident.

EDIT: Hugo, which of the following scenarios would you prefer?

A) Your friend says they will not purchase a cake for you. They don't purchase a cake for you.
B) Your friend says they might purchase a cake for you. They don't purchase a cake for you, but keep saying they might. They then one day purchase a cake, but it's not for you. And then they say they're not purchasing a cake for you after all. Oh well.

If you honestly somehow think B is actually better, you've... got some things you need to work out, I think.

Last edited:

Serpdrako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Imperfect_Scars
3DS FC
3136-6642-7063
It IS nicer. I've used the cake analogy before, but the fact of the matter is, it's nicer to let someone know when something is going to not happen. It's NOT nicer to give people false hopes for extensive periods of time and then springing the worst news on them afterwards. It is the exact opposite of nice, ESPECIALLY if it's done on purpose. And I don't know how that kind of thing can be done on accident.

EDIT: Hugo, which of the following scenarios would you prefer?

A) Your friend says they will not purchase a cake for you. They don't purchase a cake for you.
B) Your friend says they might purchase a cake for you. They don't purchase a cake for you, but keep saying they might. They then one day purchase a cake, but it's not for you. And then they say they're not purchasing a cake for you after all. Oh well.

If you honestly somehow think B is actually better, you've... got some things you need to work out, I think.
If someone "B'd" me, I might have to slap a freak.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Marketing wise it doesn't seem smart either. Both scenarios.

Ridley deconfirmed at the direct.....Disappointment and anger but giving us a few months to cool off and look at the other great reasons to get the game.

Ridley deconfirmed at E3......YOU ***!!!! WHY DIDN'T YOU DECONFIRM HIM AT THE DIRECT!!!! Sakurai: "Now please buy this game which I most likely just upset you with..." [Sakurai Laughs]

If he isn't in fine just tell us like you said don't piss us off at the last minute. Buuut I don't think it will come to that personally. I think Ridley is most likely playable. :p

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
Silently letting you down, with quiet apology, rather than reveling your most wanted newcomer will never be playable for the sole reason of the same reason you have argued for years. Plus Two assists and a character. Seems nice enough, compared to other deconfirmed characters.
Imagine an alternate reality which Sakurai showed Ridley as a boss. I think it is better if we don't. Boss
So why didn't he do that for waluigi

majora_787

Smash Hero
The problem isn't when Sakurai is deconfirming Ridley. It is what he is *doing* instead of deconfirming him. He could not deconfirm Ridley until release if he didn't TEASE him.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
The problem isn't when Sakurai is deconfirming Ridley. It is what he is *doing* instead of deconfirming him. He could not deconfirm Ridley until release if he didn't TEASE him.
Yeah there really is no way Sakurai doesn't look like a **** in the end UNLESS he confirms Ridley playable.

Top Bottom