• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Honestly Dixie's chances are looking really good right now. DK not having a new rep is just a really terrible idea
It's possible that we won't get a new rep. Sakurai is illogical enough to do something like that. I highly doubt we're getting no new stages though. We don't know if she's considered recent in Sakurai's eyes because we don't know how much he knew about TF. Being one of the forgotten 7 isn't really an argument either.

The only sliver of hope is that the lack of DK content being shown means something, like a trailer. At this point I'm starting to doubt it though.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's possible that we won't get a new rep. Sakurai is illogical enough to do something like that. I highly doubt we're getting no new stages though. We don't know if she's considered recent in Sakurai's eyes because we don't know how much he knew about TF. Being one of the forgotten 7 isn't really an argument either.

The only sliver of hope is that the lack of DK content being shown means something, like a trailer. At this point I'm starting to doubt it though.
Yeah, all evidence points to a new DK stage on 3DS. DK is still extremely popular and has gotten TWO games since Brawl, as well as one remake, one of which sold around 5-6m copies (the 6m figure was from VGChartz, its possible it is 6m but its at least 5m). F-Zero and Mother both have a new stage, there's no way DK is getting left out of a new stage, they just might not want to show it off yet.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Yeah, all evidence points to a new DK stage on 3DS. DK is still extremely popular and has gotten TWO games since Brawl, as well as one remake, one of which sold around 5-6m copies (the 6m figure was from VGChartz, its possible it is 6m but its at least 5m). F-Zero and Mother both have a new stage, there's no way DK is getting left out of a new stage, they just might not want to show it off yet.
Technically we can only know that Returns counts as a recent game, because we don't know if Sakurai knew about TF. So for all intents and purposes TF could have been a non-factor in Smash's development.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Technically we can only know that Returns counts as a recent game, because we don't know if Sakurai knew about TF. So for all intents and purposes TF could have been a non-factor in Smash's development.
Which is actually better in a way. Tropical Freeze I don't think has topped a million yet, it might be around 600k or so at this point (I don't know for sure), but Returns should show that DK is still relevant to Nintendo, because of its massive sales. There's no way we're NOT getting a new stage on 3DS, and I think its going to be a factory level of some sort (because of Gear Getaway).

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Add me to the Dixie supporters please!

Always wanted to see Dixie in over K Rool. so I'm happy with the leaks that are going around. But honestly, DK deserves all four reps to make the game.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Everyone says in other threads that Dixie would be a Diddy clone.

All of my WHY. That would be almost worst than Falcondorf. It doesn't make any sense. I'd honestly rather not have Dixie in the game at all than have her in as a clone.

Not because I hate clones. I'm actually usually pretty down for them since they're just extra slots not taking anybody's slot, just wouldn't be there otherwise. Clones like Lucina, Dr. Mario, Lucas, Falco, etc make sense because their movesets would be similar to the original character. Dixie's moveset absolutely shouldn't be like Diddy's at all. I'd rather she got a fair chance at being an original character in Smash 5 than stuck forever as a clone like Ganondorf is

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Everyone says in other threads that Dixie would be a Diddy clone.

All of my WHY. That would be almost worst than Falcondorf. It doesn't make any sense. I'd honestly rather not have Dixie in the game at all than have her in as a clone.

Not because I hate clones. I'm actually usually pretty down for them since they're just extra slots not taking anybody's slot, just wouldn't be there otherwise. Clones like Lucina, Dr. Mario, Lucas, Falco, etc make sense because their movesets would be similar to the original character. Dixie's moveset absolutely shouldn't be like Diddy's at all. I'd rather she got a fair chance at being an original character in Smash 5 than stuck forever as a clone like Ganondorf is
No, actually, Falcondorf is far worse. Dixie somewhat makes sense as a barebones clone. Ganondorf doesn't make sense as a clone whatsoever. Dixie and Diddy play identical in the original games except Dixie has the gliding mechanic. If translated into a full moveset, Dixie could potentially have some similarities to Diddy Kong, but she'd mostly be unique by using her hair as a mechanic. She'd probably never get in as a full 100% clone, though, I can't see that one happening at all.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman

I disagree that she was in the forbidden 7 isn't a good argument for this game. It confirms that Sakurai did consider her which in my mind is a massive boost for her. In fact it's pretty much the only reason why I think she's playable this time(although I am prepared if she is not). I'm going to quote a bit of myself here:

Sure, Dixie was planned to be in a duo with Diddy before Sakurai couldn't make it work but the fact that he considered her is still something that is great for her chances. Sakurai has already revisited old ideas. Villager was 'unfit for battle' in Brawl yet he's seen here. Miyamoto suggested Pac-Man to Sakurai but he thought an incomplete pizza shape would be too farfetched for a character. Dr Mario is back too who was also part of the forbidden 7.
A lot of characters that have been found with data/coding/whatever in game that weren't playable have eventually been playable. Mewtwo has almost made every Smash game to date except for Melee when he actually did become playable. Same for DeDeDe. Bowser almost made the original. It is believed that Pit, Wario, Peach and Meowth were also considered at some point, though this has considerably less evidence but 3/4 isn't bad at all. In Melee, as well as D3, Pit, Snake, Meta Knight and Lucas were planned all of which made it into Brawl.

Only a few have not made it in eventually when they have had data files in game. I'd think Dixie would join them. Of course you may disagree.

If they didn't add a new DK stage, it would be a massive slap to the face from Sakurai.

Onto a different topic, Nintendo is holding a Smash panel at PAX this year.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Add me to the Dixie supporters please!

Always wanted to see Dixie in over K Rool. so I'm happy with the leaks that are going around. But honestly, DK deserves all four reps to make the game.
Welcome to the thread! I am 100% in agreement with you. I'd prefer both Dixie and K. Rool because DK deserves it, but if it comes down to it, I'd prefer Dixie over K. Rool. Part of me hopes the 4chan leak containing Dixie is legit, but I still think K. Rool should be in as well.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
DK deserves more than four at this point if Mario is getting seven...

Thanks a lot, Sakurai.
No, this is the thing I disagree with. The total worth of the Mario franchise is over 400m sales as I have read, DK is over 50m. DK would be perfectly fine with four characters, but two is a disgrace.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Oh, I'd be fine with even three. Four is fair though. But come Smash 5, a lot more franchises will have four, and at that point, I'd like to think DK would deserve five. DK, Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, K. Rool makes sense.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
DK deserves more than four at this point if Mario is getting seven...

Thanks a lot, Sakurai.
You know what's a bit worse? If the leak is true about the Koopalings and the picture leak of Larry Koopa in Jr.'s Clown Car is any indication, Super Mario may just have around 14 CHARACTERS. DK definitely needs at least 4 reps if that's the case.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I always preferred to have Dixie Kong over K Rool. I would like to have both but if we just get one, I'm glad it's Dixie.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
You know what's a bit worse? If the leak is true about the Koopalings and the picture leak of Larry Koopa in Jr.'s Clown Car is any indication, Super Mario may just have around 14 CHARACTERS. DK definitely needs at least 4 reps if that's the case.
Their just alts.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Mario and Pokemon getting the most reps makes sense. However Zelda, Donkey Kong and to a lesser extent Metroid should all have gotten more.

Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem getting so many reps makes my head spin.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Mario and Pokemon getting the most reps makes sense. However Zelda, Donkey Kong and to a lesser extent Metroid should all have gotten more.

I shrug. I agree completely that DK & Metroid should have more reps than they have, but I don't believe in the "overrepresented" argument at all. To be perfectly honest, Fire Emblem has three representatives with one of them having an extra variation. Kid Icarus has two with an extra variation (This is an assumption, if Dark Pit is original then sweet, but for the moment I'm assuming he's a clone).

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

I completely agree that DK deserves more reps, but Fire Emblem has 13 games and existed before the DKC series (which is where most of the DK content in Smash starts from). 3 + 1 clone, and not much else on the side, is not too much.

Kid Icarus could use some humbling, though.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I completely agree that DK deserves more reps, but Fire Emblem has 13 games and existed before the DKC series (which is where most of the DK content in Smash starts from). 3 + 1 clone, and not much else on the side, is not too much.

Kid Icarus could use some humbling, though.
But the Donkey Kong series as a whole existed before Fire Emblem and DK is what made Nintendo huge in the gaming industry in the first place. Donkey Kong has always been far more popular than Fire Emblem in all ways. One clone still counts as a full character. Why should the niche series get more content?

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
But the Donkey Kong series as a whole existed before Fire Emblem and DK is what made Nintendo huge in the gaming industry in the first place. Donkey Kong has always been far more popular than Fire Emblem in all ways. One clone still counts as a full character. Why should the niche series get more content?
For the record, Fire Emblem isn't niche in Japan, and it's growing out of that in the west, as well.

The thing with Donkey Kong is that what we traditionally think of as the "Donkey Kong series" did, in fact, start with Donkey Kong Country. Before that was the original arcade Donkey Kong (featuring Jumpman), the Donkey Kong Jr. games, and a couple other games no one cares about. If I recall correctly, even DK in the original arcade game was actually who we know as Cranky Kong today, with the DK in Smash being the one that started in DKC.

And yet, I never said Fire Emblem should get more content, just that it's not the best series to bring up to say DK should have more content than it. I would love to see more DK content than the game currently has. My #1 most-wanted newcomer right now even happens to be Dixie Kong.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm pretty sure Fire Emblem got this much because of the runaway success of Awakening. And there's nothing wrong with it.

Just because DK got less doesn't mean other franchises shouldn't get their fair share. Our objective is to get more from DK, to bring it up to the amount of representation that other franchises are enjoying. THAT is the attitude we should adopt. Everyone wins that way.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Fire Emblem got this much because of the runaway success of Awakening. And there's nothing wrong with it.

Just because DK got less doesn't mean other franchises shouldn't get their fair share. Our objective is to get more from DK, to bring it up to the amount of representation that other franchises are enjoying. THAT is the attitude we should adopt. Everyone wins that way.
Not if it's not getting said representation, which we know it isn't.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Complaining about other franchises won't really do us any good though. We won't get more DK content by complaining about Fire Emblem, and it would just create unnecessary negativity...

And I'd prefer to wait till the games come out. Looking at Mario Kart 8, DLC is definitely something that is on the cards, I'm not going to lose hope.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
May we get our Whirl Girl Dixie Kong. I shall not give in, until she is officially confirmed.
That's the spirit! I may not be expecting her, but that means I haven't lost my hope. This thread is what caused me to join Smashboards 2 years ago, and I'm not giving up hope now.

Wow. 2 years. Hard to believe it's been that long...it's so surreal knowing that the final roster is going to be known within 2 weeks.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
We really shouldn't be upset about other franchises and what they get. We should be upset about what DK is NOT getting. We all agree DK deserves more than what has been shown so far. That's what's important.

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
I remember during pre-Brawl, Dixie didn't have nearly as much support as she does now ( Krystal actually had much more than her...funny how things have changed). I think it was because Diddy was the obvious next choice, and then she and K. Rool were fighting for that 3rd DK spot, and it was a spot that was most likely not gonna exist anyway. But now, it's a spot that is way overdue, as is there for Dixie to claim.

To me she is one of the most important Nintendo females...probably 4th behind only Samus, Peach, and Zelda. So now that we already have 11 female reps confirmed, it would simply be an injustice if Dixie is not playable. I remember watching my brother play DKC on his gameboy when I was only single-digits, and was always interested in Dixie Kong. She's an iconic character. She fronted a major Nintendo game, and along with Samus (and Peach, I guess) is the only female to do so.

I would be happy if both she and King K. Rool were playable, but to me she is far more likely and deserving. People just know Dixie Kong...in truth, I didn't even remember K. Rool until I joined Smashboards and saw his support. He unfortunately hasn't been relevant in many years - Dixie is in TF, and there's no way Sakurai wasn't aware of that during production. Plus, he had already planned for Dixie in Brawl so we know she is on his mind. On top of this, she'd be incredibly easy to design a model for, and has an easy moveset to come up with as well.

If there are more characters unlockable (which I do feel like there will be), Dixie should very well be one of them. Dixie fans has hope, which is more that 95% of the threads here have right now. Go Dixie Kong!

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I remember during pre-Brawl, Dixie didn't have nearly as much support as she does now ( Krystal actually had much more than her...funny how things have changed). I think it was because Diddy was the obvious next choice, and then she and K. Rool were fighting for that 3rd DK spot, and it was a spot that was most likely not gonna exist anyway. But now, it's a spot that is way overdue, as is there for Dixie to claim.

To me she is one of the most important Nintendo females...probably 4th behind only Samus, Peach, and Zelda. So now that we already have 11 female reps confirmed, it would simply be an injustice if Dixie is not playable. I remember watching my brother play DKC on his gameboy when I was only single-digits, and was always interested in Dixie Kong. She's an iconic character. She fronted a major Nintendo game, and along with Samus (and Peach, I guess) is the only female to do so.

I would be happy if both she and King K. Rool were playable, but to me she is far more likely and deserving. People just know Dixie Kong...in truth, I didn't even remember K. Rool until I joined Smashboards and saw his support. He unfortunately hasn't been relevant in many years - Dixie is in TF, and there's no way Sakurai wasn't aware of that during production. Plus, he had already planned for Dixie in Brawl so we know she is on his mind. On top of this, she'd be incredibly easy to design a model for, and has an easy moveset to come up with as well.

If there are more characters unlockable (which I do feel like there will be), Dixie should very well be one of them. Dixie fans has hope, which is more that 95% of the threads here have right now. Go Dixie Kong!
"Deserving"? I don't think that's a word people should be throwing around when arguing for characters but even so, I would still disagree with you on who is more "deserving".

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I know how we can get more DK ontent in Smash: we convince Sakurai to work on a DK game; it can't be DKC because Retro's got that, so it'll have to be a new type of game. Knowing Sakurai it'll be an action platform adventure game, with tons of characters both new and old and badass villains. After it releases it will be popular and, come Smash 5 we'll get tons of DK content and 3 newcomers: Dixie, K.Rool and a brand new character.

IT'S FOOLPROOF.

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
I know how we can get more DK ontent in Smash: we convince Sakurai to work on a DK game; it can't be DKC because Retro's got that, so it'll have to be a new type of game. Knowing Sakurai it'll be an action platform adventure game, with tons of characters both new and old and badass villains. After it releases it will be popular and, come Smash 5 we'll get tons of DK content and 3 newcomers: Dixie, K.Rool and a brand new character.

IT'S FOOLPROOF.
Foolproof? I dunno. Remember the last time a mainline DK game was developed in Japan? EAD gave us Jungle Beat. While fun, Koizumi wanted to get rid of everything that was in DKC excluding DK, and even then he changed his personality in that game.

What's stopping Sakurai from doing the same? If you ask me, we should do a petition. It's unreal that one of Nintendo's earliest Heroines still isn't in Smash. We got our voices heard with the Reggie petition, I think we have a better shot if we tried this with Dixie (or DKC content in general).

Last edited:

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I'm gonna be disappointed if they don't have Dixie's alt from DKC2 cause I'd love to see her with that red ponytail and purple clothes in HD! ^^
This would be really cool actually... Man, I didn't even remember that alternate scheme, it was pretty rad. :shades:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Oh God, I just thought of something. What if Dixie is just a custom recovery move of Diddy? D:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Oh God, I just thought of something. What if Dixie is just a custom recovery move of Diddy? D:
So they'd create an entirely new character model, and then make it an optional custom move?
There is literally no way that is happening lol.

Top Bottom