• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

iam8bit

Smash Ace
So they'd create an entirely new character model, and then make it an optional custom move?
There is literally no way that is happening lol.
Didn't they make that with Mega Man?

Oh God, now I'm scared.

cybersai

Smash Ace
If Dixie isn't in the game by release I see her being first in line for DLC.

Either way she'll be in the game eventually.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Didn't they make that with Mega Man?

Oh God, now I'm scared.
Megaman is a completely different case. He's a guest third party with special treatment (I mean look at his final smash).
If you looked at Kirby's customs shown, they were all just alterations of the animations he already had.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
So they'd create an entirely new character model, and then make it an optional custom move?
There is literally no way that is happening lol.
They made a model from that Xenoblade guy for Shulk's final smash. It IS possible.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
It's possible but I think if Dixie was part of Diddy's moveset, she'd appear more than in just one version of one special move. If she was in she'd likely be in all 3 alternate versions of the move or in some other move all together.

Either way I'm not sure if I see this as a likely alternative for her... I mean, it could happen but I'm not sure if Sakurai would wait to post an update like that about a veteran character he revealed months ago. As far as I remember, every other character who has another character as a part of their moveset had that character being revealed as such pretty soon after their reveal...

Krayon Kaphonie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaphonie
Ugh! Having to wait for information for DK & Star Fox on the wii u is so exhausting!! Dx

Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Legend of Zelda and Kirby are the only franchises from the start without newcomers and I'm hoping they will at some point.

With how bias Sakurai is being, the Kirby and Legend of Zelda fans have nothing to worry about..:glare:

Of course I'm hoping DK gets two but I'll be disappointed if Dixie Kong doesn't get featured in a trailer and she's only unlockable but I guess that'd be better than nothing.. :/

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
So apparently Dixie Kong has a popgun that shoots bubble gum in Tropical Freeze.

Is that true? (I haven't played TF)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Didn't play Tropical Freeze either. But, yes. She does.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
You guys definitely need to play Tropical Freeze, in my opinion it's the best platformer on Wii U, amazing game.

And yes, she has a gumball popgun, it pretty much acts just like Diddy's peanut popgun, but for Smash, I could see working slightly differently... For one, it can't break open and give you something to eat, and two, the gumballs bounce like Mario's fireballs. Perhaps charging the gun will just change the speed in which the gumball travels.

I just hope Tropical Freeze wasn't too new to include anything from. Dixie's playable status could in fact be relying on that.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Yes, if you haven't played Tropical Freeze, you're missing on something. The game is just so fun and addicting, not to mention that you can finally PLAY as Dixie after I don't know how long. I've always preferred her to Diddy (Diddy's cool though), and even though she doesn't copter glide in the air like she used to do in the past, her 'double jump' is really a tool that can save your life.

Also I love playing as her in Hard Mode. :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wanted to be able to team up both Diddy and Dixie. That would've made Tropical Freeze that much more awesome to me.

Not that I doubt I'll have fun with it, not at all! It looks amazing, on all parts. A friend of mine got a Wii U, so no doubt I'll play it one day.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I'm very disturbed by the lack of DK content...
Yeah.

Well, there's the fact that DK as we know him was designed by Rare, an American English company that's no longer part of Nintendo. They also created Diddy, K. Rool and Dixie.

Now, another American non-japanese company (Retro) is handling DK and borrowing a lot from what Rare did with the DKC series.

One has to wonder if Nintendo favors content made in-house or in Japan at least.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am not wondering any more myself. Sakurai and Nintendo clearly favor their own creations.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well, there's the fact that DK as we know him was designed by Rare, an American company that's no longer part of Nintendo. They also created Diddy, K. Rool and Dixie.
. . .

Rare is based in England. Bloody sods thinking every game that isn't from Japan is American.

Last edited:

iam8bit

Smash Ace
. . .

Rare is based in England. Bloody sods thinking every game that isn't from Japan is American.
Well, my bad. The more you know I guess.

I always assume Rare was in the US, like Retro is. And just FYI, I'm not from the US so this isn't some case of "american egocentrism". Do chill.

My original point stands, though.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Do chill.
Chill from what? I was simply correcting the statement of "Rare is American."

What else is going on here in the Dixie thread? Some people seem to think she may be in according to the leak thread.
I don't believe a bit of it without anything concrete, though I would love to see her.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I find it concerning we haven't even seen a new DK stage or AT, let alone a new character.

All we have to go off of is the Kremlins. Hopefully just a hint of things to come.

I'd love to see Rambi as an AT.

PS: @ American ego-centrism:

Last edited:

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Tropical Freeze is awesome. If you liked Returns, TF is on a whole new level. Between Returns and DKC 1-2.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I actually think Tropical Freeze is the best game in the series, better than any of the original trilogy as well. So it's a real shame it didn't come out a bit sooner, or else we would have definitely seen content from it in Smash.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I actually think Tropical Freeze is the best game in the series, better than any of the original trilogy as well. So it's a real shame it didn't come out a bit sooner, or else we would have definitely seen content from it in Smash.
I think we WILL see content out from it in Smash, we just won't see anything more than trophies and maybe a music track (added late in development, obviously). Returns will probably get trophies on 3DS, TF will get them on Wii U.

TF is something I'm still planning to get, they finally brought Dixie back (and they teased the possibility of K. Rool, even though he wasn't in the game). I don't have a Wii U yet, though, so I haven't been able to pick it up, but I will! Its one of the few games I really want for Wii U at this point. (With the MK8 DLC I might consider that one now, as well.)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It's nearly a close tie between DKC 2, 3, and TF for me (Yes, I loved DKC3), they all have their strong and weak points.

But I have to give it to the original trilogy, since you weren't stuck as only DK with the other Kongs being glorified double jumps.
Dixie is also my favorite Kong, and she was the protagonist in both 2 and 3 as well..

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I'm weird, I like 1 and 3 more than 2. Pirates just don't do a whole lot for me...

I also really like DK, and love that he wasn't cast aside for Tropical Freeze. He's the leader of the bunch so its nice to actually see him playing that role for a change. And besides, if you want to play as the other Kongs you can. It's also nice to have simultaneous co-op too. I like the new system a lot (and a little Kong riding DK's back is great imagery too, apes actually do it in real life, so it makes sense).

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Does anyone still wonder why they replaced Dixie with her sister in DK 64? Maybe the twirling animation was easier to make with 2 ponytails?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Does anyone still wonder why they replaced Dixie with her sister in DK 64? Maybe the twirling animation was easier to make with 2 ponytails?
I heard that Rare only wanted to use characters from the original DKC. They ended up throwing Wrinkly Kong in anyway, though.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I suspect Rare wanted characters who looked very distinct from one another, and probably didn't wanna drastically change Dixie and Kiddy, so they replaced them with suspiciously similar substitutes. Personally I disagree with the thought that Dixie is a reskinned Diddy with hair and Kiddy's a toddler version of DK, but I can definitely see others taking them as such at first glance.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Speaking of TF, is there any reason to use Diddy? Dixie's ability seems better in every way. Also do they all have the same properties like running speed and jump length?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Speaking of TF, is there any reason to use Diddy? Dixie's ability seems better in every way. Also do they all have the same properties like running speed and jump length?
By himself he's the fastest Kong, but on DK's back he's overshadowed by Dixie, especially if she's on his back. The double jump is simply better than Diddy's hover and has a slight edge over Cranky's cane hop, and if you're facing a tough time Dixie should be your first choice, whether it's hard mode or not, ESPECIALLY underwater.

Cranky's the slowest kong on foot (key words), but if you get into a good rhythm of cane bouncing you can rip through the stage faster than Diddy by himself in many cases; this is great because that cane bouncing speed works whether Cranky's alone or on DK's back, whereas Diddy's speed only kicks in when he's by himself or underwater--in which case he's a speed demon regardless of riding DK or going solo.

Basically Diddy's the fastest, followed by Dixie then Cranky, but there are ways around it sometimes. Dixie might end up being the go-to kong, but I recommend switching up between them, especially in mid-level as they provide different ways to tackle a challenge, and some spots require specific kongs.

I REALLY wish DK had a special thing of his own...even that soundwave clap from Jungle Beat would go a long way, but he's annoyingly normal in this game. It's like if a hero without powers had super sidekicks with crazy gadgets. Playing solo with him brings this issue to the forefront, but I guess it's a test of skill.

Last edited:

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Honestly, you should be able to pick whatever Kong you want to play as, whether you're player 1 or 2. It's my only gripe with the new DKC games.

But yeah, Tropical Freeze is amazing. Dixie's return made me really happy.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I REALLY wish DK had a special thing of his own...even that soundwave clap from Jungle Beat would go a long way, but he's annoyingly normal in this game. It's like if a hero without powers had super sidekicks with crazy gadgets. Playing solo with him brings this issue to the forefront, but I guess it's a test of skill.
When you think about it he does, his power is to gain the powers of the others and extend his health bar as well.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
Not being able to just pick Dixie by herself is the reason why I'm not interested in TF... that and I'm not the biggest fan of 2D platformers. I don't like having to do tricks to get to play the character I want, either.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
When you think about it he does, his power is to gain the powers of the others and extend his health bar as well.
But when you're playing Co op DK is inferior to other Kongs in every way as they can do everything he can plus more.

This is my biggest gripe with the game (apart from the fact that Diddy's barrel is blue) but those are only minor issues.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Not being able to just pick Dixie by herself is the reason why I'm not interested in TF... that and I'm not the biggest fan of 2D platformers. I don't like having to do tricks to get to play the character I want, either.
Once you beat the game, you can play as any kong you want in hard mode by themselves.
But when you're playing Co op DK is inferior to other Kongs in every way as they can do everything he can plus more.
I suppose, i just think of it as dk being in a bit harder mode then the others. Hes the link between them, and like mario without his mushroom or power ups hes at a disadvantage for the time being.

SwagzillaForilla

Smash Apprentice
...What?

I beat the game and I have no hard mode, and no solo helpers.

Please don't tell me you have to 100% it...
Yep. You don't need all the puzzle pieces, but you need to collect all the KONG letters and beat every secret level.

EDIT: :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well damn, I really don't feel like trying that one secret level that I died on hundreds of times.

But solo Dixie/Cranky...

iam8bit

Smash Ace
So that means the character restriction was purely by design. That's even worse. :glare:

Good to know it's possible, though.

Top Bottom