• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

Toadallstar2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BadInfluenceX
I want TF also because I hear great things but I also wish I could play as dixie by herself without this hard mode thing.

anyway, I just want her in smash so bad. Even if she's semi-clone ish.

Altern

Smash Cadet
I would be thrilled if she was in Smash Bros..... There is so much potential for a fantastic character with a wonderful move set

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
By himself he's the fastest Kong, but on DK's back he's overshadowed by Dixie, especially if she's on his back. The double jump is simply better than Diddy's hover and has a slight edge over Cranky's cane hop, and if you're facing a tough time Dixie should be your first choice, whether it's hard mode or not, ESPECIALLY underwater.

Cranky's the slowest kong on foot (key words), but if you get into a good rhythm of cane bouncing you can rip through the stage faster than Diddy by himself in many cases; this is great because that cane bouncing speed works whether Cranky's alone or on DK's back, whereas Diddy's speed only kicks in when he's by himself or underwater--in which case he's a speed demon regardless of riding DK or going solo.

Basically Diddy's the fastest, followed by Dixie then Cranky, but there are ways around it sometimes. Dixie might end up being the go-to kong, but I recommend switching up between them, especially in mid-level as they provide different ways to tackle a challenge, and some spots require specific kongs.

I REALLY wish DK had a special thing of his own...even that soundwave clap from Jungle Beat would go a long way, but he's annoyingly normal in this game. It's like if a hero without powers had super sidekicks with crazy gadgets. Playing solo with him brings this issue to the forefront, but I guess it's a test of skill.
Incorrect... By themselves, their speed is no different from each other. I don't know where you got that from, they all run and move at the exact same speeds. The difference between Dixie, Diddy, and Cranky is based on difficulty. Just like in DKC2, Dixie is easier to play as. Diddy is still helpful, but I feel like his hover being more stable makes it easier to land on platforms (I actually used Diddy's jetpack for jumping on Lord Fredrick, he's best for that), and Diddy is also fastest underwater thanks to his rocket. Cranky is the technical one, and the more difficult buddy to play as, but I find him the most enjoyable. Bouncing through a stage as Cranky takes skill, but it feels oh so good. Plus, Cranky has an offensive advantage being the only character to jump on spiky enemies (which are pretty prevalent in the game).

By themselves, the buddy Kongs are no different than if you were playing as DK with them on your back. As far as gameplay mechanics go, DK + Diddy/Dixie/Cranky = Diddy/Dixie/Cranky. The difference is aesthetic, but it's still an enjoyable aesthetic that makes for a nice bonus at the end of the game.

Last edited:

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
By themselves, the buddy Kongs are no different than if you were playing as DK with them on your back. As far as gameplay mechanics go, DK + Diddy/Dixie/Cranky = Diddy/Dixie/Cranky. The difference is aesthetic, but it's still an enjoyable aesthetic that makes for a nice bonus at the end of the game.
Mmmmm. Not sure about that. I'm fairly certain the non-DK Kongs have smaller hitboxes than our friend DK. This makes hardmode quite a bit easier on many levels.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
I support! I want a DK rep and I love using Dixie in TF because she's op.
BTW......am I the only one who thinks Dixie could use some of Ivysaur's moves like its forward smash and aerial except with her hair.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It does seem like one of the leaks shows Dixie as a fighter. So I'm a bit happy to hear that. But I'm going to remain skeptical. There's always a chance it doesn't end up being true.

If she is in, I hope she won't end up as clone. Though I' sure she'll have a few noticeable differences.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
Hoo boy, I thought I was done with speculating after the big leak, and learned my main hombre Lip wasn't gonna be in...
But then I completely forgot about Dixie, and how awesome she would be.

Now, I've heard from both leakers that Dixie is one of the "mysterious characters that wasn't in the leak but will still be in the game." Which hearing that is honestly a breath of fresh air considering all I've been working with the past year otherwise was hopes and dreams for my other character I wanted.
However, that being said, I'm still trying to maintain a pessimistic "No, they are lying and this is the final roster" sort of attitude, just incase she doesn't actually make it in, so I won't be dissappointed...

... But oh man, would I love to be proven wrong.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hoo boy, I thought I was done with speculating after the big leak, and learned my main hombre Lip wasn't gonna be in...
But then I completely forgot about Dixie, and how awesome she would be.

Now, I've heard from both leakers that Dixie is one of the "mysterious characters that wasn't in the leak but will still be in the game." Which hearing that is honestly a breath of fresh air considering all I've been working with the past year otherwise was hopes and dreams for my other character I wanted.
However, that being said, I'm still trying to maintain a pessimistic "No, they are lying and this is the final roster" sort of attitude, just incase she doesn't actually make it in, so I won't be dissappointed...

... But oh man, would I love to be proven wrong.
Wait, who all said that Dixie was one of the characters that wasn't in the leak but would still be in? I mean, I'm fairly convinced of it myself, but all I've seen (I haven't been following leak speculation since before the official Shulk announcement, but yeah.) is that she was on that 4chan leak that preceded Ninka's info and also had Ridley, Mewtwo and Chorus Kids.

I mean, yeah that's awesome if true, but I'm curious where else she's popped up? Just for my sanity's sake.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Dixie isn't apart of any true leak. There was a just a post where someone added Dixie and some other characters to a true leak (the Ninka leak). The added on part was proven to be false, so we currently have no evidence for her inclusion at the moment. What we do know however is that the leaked roster isn't the final roster, so there's still a chance that she's in.

Last edited:

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai/Nintendo has done a great job of adding female reps this time around (which I love). It almost seems like they are looking for females to put in - e.g. plucking the Wii Fit Trainer from obscurity, adding Rosalina via the puppeteer novelty, and adding characters with female options such as Villager and Robin. So when you have a character like Dixie Kong, who totally deserves it and would be very easy to create and design, I really cannot see any reason why they would snub her. Even though I love all of these female reps they are adding, it just would not sit right with me if they managed to add so many (what is it, like 7 at this point?) and Dixie wasn't one of them. She's a top 5 Nintendo female easily, in terms of notoriety.

Thus, I remain confident that Dixie Kong is in the game. There are other females I am hopeful for (namely, Impa and Sami from Advanced Wars) but Dixie is one who I strongly feel needs to be in. I'd be somewhat gutted if she wasn't, to be honest.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Honestly, I still have hopes for both Dixie and Rool. Johnknight has a good argument as to how both could potentially be in; the roster will likely extend to 10 characters wide, the clones get moved up next to their franchises and K. Rool and Dixie slip in right next to DK and Diddy, pushing the Metroid characters down to the next line, and other franchises get pushed down as well. The only franchise that needs to have characters shift to get pushed down is Pokemon, but it has happened before in Melee and I think most likely will happen again.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I also still have hope for at least Dixie Kong. I don't hate King K. Rool. Heck, I actually want him playable too, but I personally feel Dixie NEEDS to be in before any other DK character. I don't know why, but that's how much I strongly support her. Still, I hope her long, blond ponytail hair is a big part of her moveset!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I also still have hope for at least Dixie Kong. I don't hate King K. Rool. Heck, I actually want him playable too, but I personally feel Dixie NEEDS to be in before any other DK character. I don't know why, but that's how much I strongly support her. Still, I hope her long, blond ponytail hair is a big part of her moveset!
Well, I'm a huge Dixie fan, she's my #1 favorite DK character, and I completely disagree. K. Rool should have priority over Dixie Kong hands down, IMO. But in all honesty we SHOULD have both.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Wait, who all said that Dixie was one of the characters that wasn't in the leak but would still be in? I mean, I'm fairly convinced of it myself, but all I've seen (I haven't been following leak speculation since before the official Shulk announcement, but yeah.) is that she was on that 4chan leak that preceded Ninka's info and also had Ridley, Mewtwo and Chorus Kids.

I mean, yeah that's awesome if true, but I'm curious where else she's popped up? Just for my sanity's sake.
There have been a bunch of supposed leaks with Dixie/Ridley/Mewtwo. It isn't easy to just point to a few. It's hard to know which, if any, are real, but there being so many does give me hope. For what it's worth, the one you mentioned is probably the most likely "leak" to be real that isn't actually confirmed. Remain skeptical, but don't give up.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I've been trying to understand why people want dixie kong so much? I read the forum prologue and i can understand that she is important to the series. The only thing that gets me...it bothers me so much, is that dixie just looks like diddy in drag( as in drag queen) He just puts a whig on , puts a cute pink outfit on and some fake lashes, and he's a girl.

But thats just me, I've always wanted them to put one of the other members of the Dk Crew into the game. Lanky kong would be incredible! In dk 64 he has his stomach balloon ability and his stretchy arms, he could even use his grape air gun as a projective. But instead people want a character that looks like diddy in drag.

Someone pleeeaaassseee explain this to me, I'm completely missing something.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Incorrect... By themselves, their speed is no different from each other. I don't know where you got that from, they all run and move at the exact same speeds. The difference between Dixie, Diddy, and Cranky is based on difficulty. Just like in DKC2, Dixie is easier to play as. Diddy is still helpful, but I feel like his hover being more stable makes it easier to land on platforms (I actually used Diddy's jetpack for jumping on Lord Fredrick, he's best for that), and Diddy is also fastest underwater thanks to his rocket. Cranky is the technical one, and the more difficult buddy to play as, but I find him the most enjoyable. Bouncing through a stage as Cranky takes skill, but it feels oh so good. Plus, Cranky has an offensive advantage being the only character to jump on spiky enemies (which are pretty prevalent in the game).

Just did a co op session, and I'm happy to say that I stand corrected. However, I based the notion of them having different speeds from DKC 1 and 2; in the 1st, Diddy was the fastest kong while DK was stronger (ground pounds and Klumps prove that). In DKC 2, Dixie made levels easier, but Diddy is slightly faster than her. I assumed the same rules would apply in TF, but I'm fine that it didn't.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I've been trying to understand why people want dixie kong so much? I read the forum prologue and i can understand that she is important to the series. The only thing that gets me...it bothers me so much, is that dixie just looks like diddy in drag( as in drag queen) He just puts a whig on , puts a cute pink outfit on and some fake lashes, and he's a girl.

But thats just me, I've always wanted them to put one of the other members of the Dk Crew into the game. Lanky kong would be incredible! In dk 64 he has his stomach balloon ability and his stretchy arms, he could even use his grape air gun as a projective. But instead people want a character that looks like diddy in drag.

I think it's because Dixie is the only potential DK newcomer that is seen to have any chance just because of Tropical Freeze.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

Talk about being as offensive as possible when phrasing your question.

Go play Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 first, and if you still wonder, ask again. You're never really going to understand why a character is wanted if you don't know the character.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
Talk about being as offensive as possible when phrasing your question.

Go play Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 first, and if you still wonder, ask again. You're never really going to understand why a character is wanted if you don't know the character.
Offensive? In no way did I insult the drag queen community. There were no harsh words in there, just making a comparison. The character looks the same , only a female version of it.

Anyhow I didnt play those games, but i did play Donkey kong 64. Wouldn't that be enough?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Offensive? In no way did I insult the drag queen community. There were no harsh words in there, just making a comparison. The character looks the same , only a female version of it.

Anyhow I didnt play those games, but i did play Donkey kong 64. Wouldn't that be enough?
People want Dixie Kong to be in the game. What other reason do they need?

You might want to find a Lanky Kong Support Thread or start one if you would prefer to support Lanky Kong for SSB4.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
People want Dixie Kong to be in the game. What other reason do they need?

You might want to find a Lanky Kong Support Thread or start one if you would prefer to support Lanky Kong for SSB4.

I was asking what captured people's interest about dixie kong , if the equivalent answer is "because people want dixie kong to be in the game" (in other words you might aswell wrote "just because, what other reason do they need" )
Sorry to offend, just expressing my thoughts. When I see youtube vids and most wanted character lists place diddykong as a wanted character i'll just think to myself " oh its just because".

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I was asking what captured people's interest about dixie kong , if the equivalent answer is "because people want dixie kong to be in the game" (in other words you might aswell wrote "just because, what other reason do they need" )
Sorry to offend, just expressing my thoughts. When I see youtube vids and most wanted character lists place diddykong as a wanted character i'll just think to myself " oh its just because".
It is mainly due to her role in the Donkey Kong Country games. She was Diddy Kong's sidekick in DKC2 and was the star in DKC3, plus her hair would bring something to the Smash Table that no other character could.

It also helps that she has a long history with Nintendo and seems to be cherished by Nintendo themselves, looking at how she has a big role in Tropical Freeze.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
It is mainly due to her role in the Donkey Kong Country games. She was Diddy Kong's sidekick in DKC2 and was the star in DKC3, plus her hair would bring something to the Smash Table that no other character could.

It also helps that she has a long history with Nintendo and seems to be cherished by Nintendo themselves, looking at how she has a big role in Tropical Freeze.
Well I think I'll check those games out, I may be able to find some appreciation for the character.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

"But instead people want a character that looks like diddy in drag."

There are clear negative connotations in this statement. Would you take it lightly if someone said that a character you wanted was "just some other character in drag"?

How would it be enough to play a game Dixie is not in?

ihskeyp

Smash Ace

Why come to a support thread and ask why we like her? There are pages and pages of reasons why we want her in.
Also, her and Diddy's facial features are actually different, her nose/mouth is more rounded than his, and sticks outward instead of downward like Diddys. Also her eyes are different... Really all they have in common is their species.
Besides, her looking kinda like diddy really shouldn't matter... Dark Pit looks kinda like Pit. Dr Mario looks just like Mario. Marth and Lucina even share some similarities.
Anyway, I love her because she was my favorite character as a kid, DKC2 and 3 were some of my favorite games ever. (And I personally have never in the slightest been interested in kkrool).

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage

If you want my opinion on the matter, I personally like Dixie so much because I love playing as female characters who can kick ***. Dixie has never been a damsel-in-distress (she even role-reversed the archetype by saving DK in DKC2 and by saving DK and Diddy in DKC3), she is usually the superior character to use in platforming segments because she can slow her decent in the air, and she starred in her own game almost a decade before Peach got her own game. Also, I just like her energetic, fun-loving personality that she has shown in recent games. I'm not going to deny that Dixie's design shares many similarities with Diddy, but, in my opinion, she's broken away from being just "Diddy in drag" because she has done many things that many female Nintendo characters have yet to achieve. But, that's just my take on it.

As far as Smash is concerned, I'll admit that the main reason why I want Dixie playable is because she is my favorite Nintendo character, but I honestly think she could have a very interesting moveset with a large focus on her hair. She could use it for smacking opponents around with disjointed hitboxes, she could use it as a tether grab, and she could possibly use it to add momentum to her aerials, giving her superior aerial mobility. However, I spelled that out in the OP, which you said that you read, so I'll spare you by not going further into detail.

I strongly encourage you to play DKC2 and/or DKC3 if you are interested in learning about Dixie.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I want Dixie because she's the third most important Kong in the series, she's starred in her very own main series game in DKC3, she has unique abilities with her hair (something no other character in Smash uses), she's all girl power (she's never been a damsel in distress, never needed rescuing, she's not a princess), and she's relevant and popular again thanks to Tropical Freeze.

I know K. Rool is the more popular DK rep, but I think Dixie is a more valuable character to the franchise overall.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Diddy and Dixie do look different. She has a completely different face from Diddy. I've seen some photoshopped Diddys that have him wear Dixie's clothes but it doesn't look like her.

See?

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Diddy and Dixie do look different. She has a completely different face from Diddy. I've seen some photoshopped Diddys that have him wear Dixie's clothes but it doesn't look like her.

See?
That picture is disgusting.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
We're so close to release now and we still have some vets yet to be confirmed. I'm starting to think now that if there are vets that remain unconfirmed come the Japanese release, then those vets are unlockables and the unlockables won't be revealed at release. Dixie being an unlockable in this context is our only hope at this point.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
Dixie is cute and she's a prominent female character in gaming... that's why for me, really. I really like her and would love to see more of her in everything she can possibly added to. ^^;

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Well, people have been playing that demo over in Japan, and so far, there haven't been any reports of Dixie ending up as a Diddy skin. I guess that's a good sign, given that there are many characters that have been turned into alts of an existing character (Wolf, Alph, the Koopalings, Daisy, Fierce Deity Link, etc.). We'll finally know Dixie's fate by the end of next week. Still hoping for the best.

At the risk of sounding cheesy and melodramatic, it's been an honor debating and speculating with you guys through the ups and downs over the course of these games' developments. This thread is what caused me to join up with SmashBoards, and I've had a blast.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm quite intrigued - after all, Daisy got shot down now due becoming a palette (again) for Peach. Do we know anything about the Dixie-color palette for Diddy though? If that isn't back, things seem to have changed a bit.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, people have been playing that demo over in Japan, and so far, there haven't been any reports of Dixie ending up as a Diddy skin. I guess that's a good sign, given that there are many characters that have been turned into alts of an existing character (Wolf, Alph, the Koopalings, Daisy, Fierce Deity Link, etc.). We'll finally know Dixie's fate by the end of next week. Still hoping for the best.

At the risk of sounding cheesy and melodramatic, it's been an honor debating and speculating with you guys through the ups and downs over the course of these games' developments. This thread is what caused me to join up with SmashBoards, and I've had a blast.
Reportedly Wolf was said to probably just be Fox's "dark" recolor from Brawl. Either way, not all of those are full skins, some are just recolors. Still, Diddy did have Dixie's outfit in Brawl.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
Wow. A week left? Damn. Time does go fast.

Anyway, the lack of Dixie alt isn't a confirmation or deconfirmation by any means. Dark Samus is an alt of Samus and an assist trophy. In Brawl, Wolf was also an alt for Fox.

I still am optimistic that Dixie is still in. Whether she deserves to be in is debatable because of the whole Dixie vs K. Rool thing but I would be totally stoked if she made it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The reason I want Dixie is because I liked playing as Dixie in DKC2, DKC3, and DKC:TF. I like to glide and double jump with her hair. Even if Dixie is a clone or semi-clone of Diddy, her hair would still enable her to glide... and that alone would make Dixie's playstyle much different from Diddy's.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Wait...Diddy never had Dixie's outfit in Brawl--that was Diddy's shirt with pink, and Wolf was never Fox's alt in Brawl either. If your talking about "Dark Fox" I'm afraid you're mistaken. That may not be the case in SSB4, but in Brawl that's how it is.

Top Bottom