• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
In this case, my problem wasn't the ground game, it was landing. I just had so much trouble getting back to the stage once she got me off. I can't really do anything against her Uair. The player just kept chasing me and putting me in bad situations. I blame myself for getting flustered and frustrating for missing game winning punishes but I had to outplay the **** out of him to even get to last hit and I still lost. Nothing is more infuriating to me than losing to someone who's just banking on their busted character.

Also doesn't help that my secondary also has a very hard time with ZSS. I really do not want to have to pick up another character just to deal with ZSS.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
In this case, my problem wasn't the ground game, it was landing. I just had so much trouble getting back to the stage once she got me off. I can't really do anything against her Uair. The player just kept chasing me and putting me in bad situations. I blame myself for getting flustered and frustrating for missing game winning punishes but I had to outplay the **** out of him to even get to last hit and I still lost. Nothing is more infuriating to me than losing to someone who's just banking on their busted character.

Also doesn't help that my secondary also has a very hard time with ZSS. I really do not want to have to pick up another character just to deal with ZSS.
Busted character? You main a character that can kill people beginning at 35%.

Excuses do not produce results.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
double eliminated 6wx in a very close tournament today. the streamers equipment broke so no videos.

last game of grand finals set 2 i was at 120% he was at 10% last stock, and got the dash attack-upairx3-upb and killed him off the top. he threw his controller on the table because of the salt, i had the pop off. never give up yo

also won doubles with an old brawl wolf player named isheymoto who plays fox, we had a nice mk/fox team going and beat 6wx in grand who partnered with another sonic player.

http://challonge.com/MADE8Singles/standings

http://challonge.com/MADE8Doubles/standings
Itol's metaknight tech is too much. Savage

ZTD | TECHnology

Busted character? You main a character that can kill people beginning at 35%.

Excuses do not produce results.
Oh cool I main a character with one busted trait about him. The character I lost to can also kill that early and has a bunch of other silly things about it. You're definitely right, I'm just speaking out of frustration though. I lost because I wasn't good enough to overcome the obstacle I encountered today. I will be one day. But I have a lot of work to do. As always.

I need to remember improvement isn't a smooth, straight path. It's usually bumpy and up and down one.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
ZSS is that one MU where MK can't punish certain things, same with Diddy actually with his fair. Knowing that you can't punish it will make things harder for the ZSS player, probably our worst MU our only saving grace is her weight.

We can kill at 35% but is it on average? no. We can kill below 100 against mid weights by baiting airdodges but other than early edgeguards we won't kill at 35 consistently.

Heck ZSS can back throw into down b and kill us at 0 with no rage, that **** ain't funny man. Every MU brings something different and ZSS along with Falcon can play so safe, her grab requires commitment but still.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

^ I'm going back to being a scientist and going back to the lab even harder after this past weekend. My next tournament is in 3 days. I will let you guys know it turned out as always.

Oh on a side note:

http://www.mod-bot.com/

This is so cool. I just emailed them asking them to do a custom Meta Knight design for me. I want it to be Black with Blue and Purple gradients vertically and have MK's beautiful masked face on the front. I hope they agree to it!

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Still shocked that MK is placing high in custom tourney's, even though his custom meta is basically dead it further proves that overall he's a good character. :4metaknight:

I envy US MKs(the good ones not the mediocre ones) getting such a big scene over there.

ZTD | TECHnology

Still shocked that MK is placing high in custom tourney's, even though his custom meta is basically dead it further proves that overall he's a good character. :4metaknight:

I envy US MKs(the good ones not the mediocre ones) getting such a big scene over there.
I love my scene right now. We have anywhere from one to three tournaments a week in Southeast Michigan. Its how I've been leveling up so steadily. Constant exposure.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
Quote from the Competitive Discussion boards but I still think it can be relevant here.
:4metaknight:'s recovery isn't what it used to be nor is his run speed. He's gotta be on his opponent like white on rice to get any real damage down.
[/quote]​
Why does everyone think MK got slower in Smash 4? According to the ssb4 wiki, Mk has got even faster from brawl (Air Speed and Run Speed) but even Top players like Jtails and Zero have also been wrong about this. Even going to saying that he's become much slower. (On their competitive tutorial vids and for glory vids) Is it because of his removal of his old up B or is it just another MK misconception? (smh) I never played MK in brawl so I'm legit interested.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
The biggest problem with sm4sh players is how they bandwagon ZeRo's opinion, Jtails vid was hella bad, his MK was bad, the combo's in training mode vid was low level stuff. Like people say ZeRo has the best MK??? How? He ain't even top 5 nor top 10 counting other players here.

MK ain't Falcon where it was clear ZeRo despite putting in little work, he was the best Falcon. Thats why im against a MK guide, it wont provide any new info to the meta it'll porlly be good for mid level knights.In that tier list vid expect loads of comparisons to Brawl because it makes so much sense comparing a rebalanced character to his broken self amirite?

For Tekken players, compare Tekken 3 and 4 Jin kazamas to TTT2 and 6 Jin, its stupid and pointless because A) Jin had a different martial art in T3 thus different playstyle and B) He was outright broken in 4.

We are almost a year into this meta and nothings changed. On a positive note...

@ Bonk! Bonk! that uair to FF bair combo is sexy, do you get more reward from doing that than footstool combo's? Need to practice that combo in training mode.

Lol no way, its a solid 40% combo if you get at least 3 uairs into shuttle loop. It works on fast fallers but not D3 or Gdorf due to their large hurtnox.

Last edited:

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
It's definitely much less strict than the footstool combos, but the spike from the FF B-air doesn't work on some heavyweights. Also I remember @ ItoI6 ItoI6 mentioning that the opponent has the chance to attack once they hit the ground from the "spike" when we were talking about using B-air to spike when F-air's got patched.

And you don't have to end the lock with a tornado or F-smash. You can do a Dash Attack instead to lead into more things.

Footstools allow for more creativity, but this is just something I've been playing around with for like a month.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Yeah its more to do with fall speed, falcon and diddy's spike animation makes it so Dtilt whiffs ALOT but its still possible once you get used to it. I've been using DA after i landed it on some random FG drone, the damage is meaty with the added 2 or 3 Dtilts.

It works on :4fox::4falco::4falcon::4diddy::4sheik::4metaknight::4greninja::4littlemac::4megaman:

Very good alternative against Fox since footstool combo's won't work on him. It works on Sheik starting at 0% lol. I'll try other fast fallers later nice find Bonk.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Yeah its more to do with fall speed, falcon and diddy's spike animation makes it so Dtilt whiffs ALOT but its still possible once you get used to it. I've been using DA after i landed it on some random FG drone, the damage is meaty with the added 2 or 3 Dtilts.

It works on :4fox::4falco::4falcon::4diddy::4sheik::4metaknight::4greninja::4littlemac::4megaman:

Very good alternative against Fox since footstool combo's won't work on him. It works on Sheik starting at 0% lol. I'll try other fast fallers later nice find Bonk.
I'll make a more in-depth post on it when I get home. I'll need to make a video for it first so it'll probably show up tomorrow.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Update: Dash attack > FH Uair > FF Bair > Dtilt lock > Whatever you want. Works on :4link::4myfriends::4shulk: starting at 0%

Edit: *****, Shulk doesn't fall fast at all.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

I spent some time reading that competitive discussion thread and some other external non-MK board resources on MK.

Basically I learned that Warionumba2 is right and that I should never inquire anyone outside of these boards for info. Holy ****, people are still so ignorant about this character.

People on my Facebook still tell "I think it's so cool you main a low tier character"

-_-

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
don't forget ff bair is techable. So it's punishable given the land lag
Still worth going for especially against Fox since footstool combo's isn't an option, low risk high reward combo set up.

Kinda sucks tho, but a combo this easy to pull off needs a con like that. :[

@Tech that thread is hilarious, the sad thing is that you get these kind of posts on character boards,reddit,youtube,facebook etc. MK isn't a complex character to grasp but now people are saying 'he's like falcon' cuz they're too lazy to research MK. How can you call this character aggressive???

Last edited:

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
I think the combo in itself is a mixup since most ignorant players think we're just going for a bunch of U-airs and won't be ready to tech that quickly.

Qazoo306

Smash Cadet
Name: Qazoo
Talents: Music, Video Games
Dislikes: Loosing to gimmicky / spammy strategies in anything
Goals: To be good enough to win or a least make top 8 in a major tournament in any smash game (Melee, PM, or Sm4sh).
Other facts: I write crappy music,

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Yo, new to smashboards, longtime smash player.

I mained MK is brawl, but didnt play competitively or even interact with any online communities (I didnt find out he was a super OP, top tier, broken until years later). It's been long enough so that I dont remember what playing as MK in brawl was like, but I'm still familiar with his moves.

In smash4, he's one of the characters I keep in rotation. If push came to shove, I'd say dedede is my main, but I like playing multiple characters, and MK was always a character I really liked, even outside of smash.

So it pains me to admit that I'm really not good with him at all. Just going off my W/L record on FG, I lose far more often with MK than I win. Contrast that with my dedede's win rate, which is nearly double the loss rate.

I've been playing him since the game came out on 3DS, but it wasnt until recently I've been really trying to "git gud." Just going off what you guys here on smashboards have said (I've been known to lurk on occasion), it seems MK's matchups are fairly well rounded, and losses with MK are often more the result of the player and not the matchup.

But I also feel that there is some bias in that. Just playing him against randoms in FG, I cant shake the feeling that he's lacking some really basic tools that a lot of other characters have.

Like, you really cant approach with MK; his only approach option seems to be his dash attack.

He also suffers from all of his B moves putting him in a vulnerable state. On top of that, they dont ledge cancel.

Side B would be a fantastic move if it could completely go through projectiles, but in my experience, it only seems to either cancel each other out or only eat up the weaker ones.

Neutral B shouldnt require mashing, but instead, just require you to hold the button, as mashing is pretty inconsistent online.

Fair shouldnt have ending lag. It should auto cancel. That would make it a good option in the neutral game. As it is, it's liable to get you punished.

Fix the stupid range of his sword's hitboxes. And I dont mean just visually; a range buff would be really nice.

Shouldnt he be just a little bit heavier? I mean, he's got all that armor on...

The first hit of his up-B should have less knockback, so that the 2nd hit lands more consistently (at least, in my experience, that seems to be the case).

And finally, his jab SHOULD NOT automatically do the finisher unless it hits something. It should just cancel when it's whiffing and you let go of the A button, ya know, like everyone else's jabs do.

I feel like with these minor changes, MK would see more representation and more people would start to respect him again. As it is, I feel like MK is very inconsistent. Some games, I'll do very well against competent opponents, and others I feel totally helpless. Maybe I can post a few matches in the video thread if you guys would be willing to give me some feedback.

I still love MK and I will keep playing him, but I just wish he was better.

Jatayu

Regal Eagle
3DS FC
4227-4062-5258
Name: Qazoo
Talents: Music, Video Games
Dislikes: Loosing to gimmicky / spammy strategies in anything
Goals: To be good enough to win or a least make top 8 in a major tournament in any smash game (Melee, PM, or Sm4sh).
Other facts: I write crappy music,
Qazoo from Pokemon Showdown Doubles? Crikey, I didn't think I'd see you here of all places! Welcome to the boards!
Also, while I'm here, hello MK boards. I've been lurking for a while trying to learn MK and I sometimes post on the DDD boards. Hopefully, I'll try to contribute on this board and the wario board... eventually.

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
Holy crap alot has changed since I left. I'm happy that this board grew so much and has been trying their best to innovate and push the the MK meta. Hopefully, I can start contributing again. Also @ Bonk! Bonk! I live in Philadelphia too NE to be specific.

Last edited:

MatrixNexus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Whoisthis0
3DS FC
4785-6210-1190
Hello fellow MK mains. I first started using him before patch 1.0.4 arrived and the first time I played him, he felt so natural to play as if I've used him for a long time. As I keep learning and improving, I'll be getting better as I learn more about character and game itself.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Tonight's local did not go very well. 13th out of 61 I believe. Lost to a Sheik player I have beaten before plenty of times but didn't play very well. Then proceeded to struggle in Loser's against a few okay players and lost again to one of the PR players I always lose to. (Rosalina). I now have a much better understanding of how to deal with the character (it was a close Game 3 set) but still frustrating. Maybe not for Rosa but I think I may just need to get a secondary to help keep my stress levels down in tournament. But I refuse to use top tier unless its a character I really love (currently, none fit that description). I guess I'm in a bit of a slump right now. Not so much salty, just a bit disappointed. I feel like when I play MK, I either play really good or I play really half assed. I feel like there is no in between lol

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Lately I've been playing like trash with Meta Knight because he's the type of character I have to practice regularly, or else my terrible memory screws me over badly. I haven't been playing as him much lately because I've mostly been focusing on Diddy Kong because of the balance patch, but I'm not achieving the results with Diddy Kong I want either. It's really frustrating. I just haven't been playing well and feel like I need a short break from the game.

Another thing that's frustrating is that I've realized I'm an extremely defensive player that mains two offensive characters. I'd consider picking up a super defensive character to compliment my super defensive play style, but I've already had to drop 3/5 of my previous mains because of how much the balance patch hurt my Diddy Kong and I'm not achieving the results I want with either of my mains. Not to mention my memory is such trash that I have to play regularly to play "good". Otherwise, I'll constantly **** up my followups from grabs and lose much of my muscle memory of how to handle certain situations. -_-

I really wish all the changes that happened this balance patch initially happened with the first balance patch if they were going to happen at all. I probably would've never had more than three mains and likely would've focused on pretty much just Diddy Kong and Meta Knight for the last four months. I wish I was a player that was better at adapting. :/ Though most Diddy Kong mains in NorCal adapted by using Diddy's Rocketbarrel Attack custom instead of learning how to become more creative and clever at getting their kills. I swear, half of NorCal would drop the character or make the character their secondary if customs get banned. I really hope that custom move gets nerfed hard in a future balance patch.

Last edited:

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
This seems to be a bad week for all of us. I didn't go to Shockwave, but I went to some other tourney. I lost to Denti in WS and then lost to that same ROB as I did last week in Loser's. Felt terrible that entire tourney. I've been busy and haven't practiced MK, and it really showed against Denti. I honestly think that I can win but I do dumb **** that gets me punished for no reason. And I still don't get ROB. He's annoying enough to make me want to get a secondary just to deal with him. I think I got around 7th, but there wasn't a high amount of entrants.

It feels so frustrating to lose when you know you could've played better. I want to start training more seriously and win these entire tournaments.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
As of writing this @ ItoI6 ItoI6 is in winners semis of Come on and Ban 20. He's doing footstool tech and playing very patiently, the way a MK should be played.
http://www.twitch.tv/showdownsmash

So I think some of us are doing good. I wish there was a close by scene for me in the suburbs...

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
This seems to be a bad week for all of us. I didn't go to Shockwave, but I went to some other tourney. I lost to Denti in WS and then lost to that same ROB as I did last week in Loser's. Felt terrible that entire tourney. I've been busy and haven't practiced MK, and it really showed against Denti. I honestly think that I can win but I do dumb **** that gets me punished for no reason. And I still don't get ROB. He's annoying enough to make me want to get a secondary just to deal with him. I think I got around 7th, but there wasn't a high amount of entrants.

It feels so frustrating to lose when you know you could've played better. I want to start training more seriously and win these entire tournaments.
Don't be so hard on yourself. I've been paying attention to Tourney Locator for awhile and they have some excellent players. For example, both AeroLink and Denti are some of Texas's best players and they did very well at Apex which had over a thousand entries. The fact you were able to take a set off of AeroLink one week after he won about four or five Shockwaves in a row says a lot about your skill. Continue practicing hard and become even better as a player, and you'll continue to do very well in the competitive scene where you live. Don't get a defeatist attitude.

As of writing this @ ItoI6 ItoI6 is in winners semis of Come on and Ban 20. He's doing footstool tech and playing very patiently, the way a MK should be played.
http://www.twitch.tv/showdownsmash

So I think some of us are doing good. I wish there was a close by scene for me in the suburbs...
That tournament was hilarious to watch Trevonte and DSS trolled the hell out of people and made the commentators so salty. Grand and Winners Finals looked like easy wins for Ito. Much of NorCal's group page and the Twitch chat now referrer to Ito as "Ito the God". lol Great work Ito.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Guys if you feel the need to use a secondary USE IT, i don't want yall thinking you need to be 100% 'loyal' to MK. Do what you gotta do, remember Ito used to throw in Diddy when he felt uncomfortable but as he got better and more confident with MK he uses him alot more even against Sonic who Katakiri thought it would be wise to get a secondary.

Pick a top tier or high, non of that special snowflake stuff. MK is one of the characters who don't need a secondary to do well, but that doesn't mean you can't have one just in case.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: watching stream and did that DSS dude really go MK? It was awful so eezay moneey for Ito i guess.

Edit harder: and he went diddy at the end, kek. Also i strongly disagree with Omni,

"MK is not a great character, its just Ito" lets get this bull**** outta here, now everytime Ito wins its gonna be, 'oh its not MK its Ito' like really we gonna slap that onto him because MK is winning? I'm honestly shocked i heard that after MK wins a tournament without a secondary, whats with this community?

Its infuriating when i read/hear dumb stuff like this after a well earned victory. If Katakiri wins,whoop don't matter cuz its Katakiri, S2H wins, whoop MKs still bad but its just S2H being S2H. smfh

Congrats on your win Ito, pleasure seeing your MK.

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
i talked to omni for a long time and i told him i thought mk was just barely viable on account of his strong punish game, so really hes just going off of what i said lol theres no reason to really be mad about it

also i didnt drop a game which i havent done in a long time

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
We
Guys if you feel the need to use a secondary USE IT, i don't want yall thinking you need to be 100% 'loyal' to MK. Do what you gotta do, remember Ito used to throw in Diddy when he felt uncomfortable but as he got better and more confident with MK he uses him alot more even against Sonic who Katakiri thought it would be wise to get a secondary.

Pick a top tier or high, non of that special snowflake stuff. MK is one of the characters who don't need a secondary to do well, but that doesn't mean you can't have one just in case.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: watching stream and did that DSS dude really go MK? It was awful so eezay moneey for Ito i guess.

Edit harder: and he went diddy at the end, kek. Also i strongly disagree with Omni,

"MK is not a great character, its just Ito" lets get this bull**** outta here, now everytime Ito wins its gonna be, 'oh its not MK its Ito' like really we gonna slap that onto him because MK is winning? I'm honestly shocked i heard that after MK wins a tournament without a secondary, whats with this community?

Its infuriating when i read/hear dumb stuff like this after a well earned victory. If Katakiri wins,whoop don't matter cuz its Katakiri, S2H wins, whoop MKs still bad but its just S2H being S2H. smfh

Congrats on your win Ito, pleasure seeing your MK.
Well, MK is not great, he's good. I just can't stand people who say he's garbage. His greatest strength is his strong punish game but outside of that his overall gameplay is unsafe due his linear approach options(dash attack, dash grab) and his unsafe aerials. People see this and just say he's garbage, but how can you say that when you don't even try to push the character's meta. MK is all about MU knowledge, strong punishes, and most importantly getting the opponent out of neutral and he has the tools to do that with his off-stage dominance and grab follow-ups. It's kinda funny how people make such blasphemous statements because proving them wrong is so satisfying.

Top Bottom