• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Guys if you feel the need to use a secondary USE IT, i don't want yall thinking you need to be 100% 'loyal' to MK. Do what you gotta do, remember Ito used to throw in Diddy when he felt uncomfortable but as he got better and more confident with MK he uses him alot more even against Sonic who Katakiri thought it would be wise to get a secondary.

Pick a top tier or high, non of that special snowflake stuff. MK is one of the characters who don't need a secondary to do well, but that doesn't mean you can't have one just in case.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: watching stream and did that DSS dude really go MK? It was awful so eezay moneey for Ito i guess.

Edit harder: and he went diddy at the end, kek. Also i strongly disagree with Omni,

"MK is not a great character, its just Ito" lets get this bull**** outta here, now everytime Ito wins its gonna be, 'oh its not MK its Ito' like really we gonna slap that onto him because MK is winning? I'm honestly shocked i heard that after MK wins a tournament without a secondary, whats with this community?

Its infuriating when i read/hear dumb stuff like this after a well earned victory. If Katakiri wins,whoop don't matter cuz its Katakiri, S2H wins, whoop MKs still bad but its just S2H being S2H. smfh

Congrats on your win Ito, pleasure seeing your MK.
I probably wouldn't have a problem with a secondary if I found one that I actually enjoyed to the level of MK. I don't want to just pick up a great character on the basis that he's good alone. It's not my style. But "my style" is going to keep me frustrated at this rate. After the tournament, Ally and everyone told me to just pick up *insert top tier here* and save myself the headache. Maybe if I could find a high tier I'd like I'd being good shape. As I am now though, I am not skilled enough to go 100% MK. Need more experience and practice staying sharp. Tomorrow is going to be a big event so I gotta shake this off.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
So long as you find a secondary soon then its all good, everyone prolly said to pick a secondary after the tourney cuz they think MK is trash but its honestly a good idea for you.

i talked to omni for a long time and i told him i thought mk was just barely viable on account of his strong punish game, so really hes just going off of what i said lol theres no reason to really be mad about it

also i didnt drop a game which i havent done in a long time
Sounds like something you said pre patch, if so then his info is horribly outdated.
Well, MK is not great, he's good. I just can't stand people who say he's garbage.
Don't forget that he loses everyone due to his weight, poor approaches and weight. Amiright or amiright?

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I probably wouldn't have a problem with a secondary if I found one that I actually enjoyed to the level of MK. I don't want to just pick up a great character on the basis that he's good alone. It's not my style. But "my style" is going to keep me frustrated at this rate. After the tournament, Ally and everyone told me to just pick up *insert top tier here* and save myself the headache. Maybe if I could find a high tier I'd like I'd being good shape. As I am now though, I am not skilled enough to go 100% MK. Need more experience and practice staying sharp. Tomorrow is going to be a big event so I gotta shake this off.
You have a Wario, right? Wario isn't a top tier, but he's damn good. Perhaps he could be your secondary? I've seen players do sick stuff with that characters against other top tier characters.

ZTD | TECHnology

Although I like Wario, he doesn't compliment MK very well. He does better in some other MUs but he still gets bopped by ZSS. He still loses to Yoshi and Falcon. I feel like if I'm gonna actually do a secondary, he needs to really cover me well. Wario is more like an all around solid option. I'm looking for definitive coverage.

Also you have to camp super hard to really get anywhere with him. Trying to move away from that life lol.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Sheik seems to be your man (or woman).
Otherwise :4wiifitm::4miibrawl::4pikachu::4fox::4jigglypuff::4megaman:all can handle ZSS and Falcon. I don't know yoshi's MU though. You can play LM if your wise with stage picking too.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Well, ZeRo recently started a tier list series and this was the top 17. [Part 1] [Part 2]

1. Shiek
2. Rosalina
3. Luigi
4. Pikachu
5. Diddy Kong
6. Ness
7. Mii Brawler
8. Sonic
9. Villager
10. Fox
11. Zero Suit Samus
12. Mario
13. Olimar
14. Captain Falcon
15. Yoshi
16. Pit & Dark Pit
17. Wario

Any of those characters sound appealing at all besides Wario? If you hate playing campy, well, most of those characters have good camp options. lol Though both of Fox's defensive moves (lasers and shine) are moreso to force your opponent to approach and Luigi's fireballs mostly creates a wall that limits your opponent's options as he's trying to approach. Captain Falcon is just pure aggression.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Its weird Tech, you hate campy style chars yet MK invalidates some characters via camping around the stage lol.

These guys are helpless against a campy MK circle camping them(with a stock lead)
:4drmario::4olimar::4luigi::4kirby::4zelda::4littlemac::4jigglypuff::4shulk:(shield)
These characters still get circle camped(on certain stages) but its more challenging to do because of projectiles,long range or aerial mobility.
:4villager::4link::4falco::4mario::4gaw::4ness::4ganondorf::4dedede::4shulk:(vallina,buster and smash)

That all depends on stages though, like on castle seige the list grows, but no MK in the US other than Katakiri fully embrace the camping way when the time comes. There's also platform camping but i can't remember who we platform camp other than Mac and Sonic.

I vote for :4pikachu:, i know nothing about him gameplay wise but i know this little bugger does well against ZSS and Falcon who are MKs worst MUs. I think its hard work having a secondary, either your MKs growth stunts or your secondary stays unviable in tournaments.

Edit: Ulevo found a nice quote which is basically said,im an OGG. Bow before me.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Well, ZeRo recently started a tier list series and this was the top 17. [Part 1] [Part 2]

1. Shiek - Boring to me.
2. Rosalina - Cancer.
3. Luigi - Cancer.
4. Pikachu - Really fun but I can't seem to play him.
5. Diddy Kong - As a Nintendo character I love Diddy. I'd consider it.
6. Ness - Cancer.
7. Mii Brawler - Cancer.
8. Sonic - Tried it. Felt dirty.
9. Villager - Hate this thing.
10. Fox - Maybe.
11. Zero Suit Samus - Fun but not for me.
12. Mario - ^
13. Olimar - I'm considering it.
14. Captain Falcon - Can't do it. Half my state plays this character.
15. Yoshi - Cannot stand this thing.
16. Pit & Dark Pit - I like the Pits so maybe.
17. Wario - Already listed why I don't want to use him.

Any of those characters sound appealing at all besides Wario? If you hate playing campy, well, most of those characters have good camp options. lol Though both of Fox's defensive moves (lasers and shine) are moreso to force your opponent to approach and Luigi's fireballs mostly creates a wall that limits your opponent's options as he's trying to approach. Captain Falcon is just pure aggression.
^ My thoughts in a nutshell.

EDIT: I know warionumba2 it makes no sense lol. And yeah that's why I didn't want a secondary to begin with. I didn't want to atrophy my growth.

Last edited:

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Its weird Tech, you hate campy style chars yet MK invalidates some characters via camping around the stage lol.

These guys are helpless against a campy MK circle camping them(with a stock lead)
:4drmario::4olimar::4luigi::4kirby::4zelda::4littlemac::4jigglypuff::4shulk:(shield)
:4littlemac:: depends of the stage
:4zelda:: only on FD and hardly on SV. She can ledge cancel her Up B.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
:4littlemac:: depends of the stage
:4zelda:: only on FD and hardly on SV. She can ledge cancel her Up B.
Only stage MK can't camp him on is FD, 1 stage out of lets see: SV,TnC,Castle seige,Battlefield,Halbard,Delfino,Skyloft and Duck Hunt.

1/8.

No i've camped Zelda's on SV plenty of times but i never resort to a full blown time out because MK doesn't need to, i recommend camping against Luigi,Mario,Mac and Olimar but the rest is optional because MK beats them anyway.

If your ground speed is equal or slower than Mario's you will struggle to catch MK, unless you got some sort of gimmick that force approaches or insane range you ain't catching him.

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
diddy is very strong vs rob, im considering going diddy if i ever play a strong rob again

hes also pretty fun i guess

Last edited:

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
diddy is very strong vs rob, im considering going diddy if i ever play a strong rob again

Euh not really, post patch diddy loses to ROB imo. ROB was actually one of the few characters who standed a chance pre patch.
:4pikachu::4darkpit::4greninja::4marth::4lucina::4robinm::4sheik::4tlink: and :4villager: are all good against ROB, while :4falcon::4mario::4myfriends::4fox::4miibrawl::4miisword::4shulk::4yoshi: can handle him well, maybe slightly more easily than MK.

Ulevo

Smash Master

Yo, Ito. You have any specific R.O.B. advice. I'll be attending tournaments soon and one of the strongest contenders in my scene is Holy. I do not intend to have a secondary for vanilla, so I would like to learn the match up theoretically before I manage to get some R.O.B. practice.

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
We've talked about customs a couple times here. High Speed Drill is his only "good" one. I personally do not like using it, but it's the only one worth talking about. You can get the ability to go through projectiles and kill Luma from midscreen, but lose a recovery option/potential early gimp and make it an easy SD button.

It's worth noting that Meta Knight also drops in tiers and becomes potentially unviable in customs, though. Most (every) MK here hates playing that unbalanced mode, anyway.

EDIT: We need to start a FAQ/forum-guide with common questions, so people can just refer to it instead of make new posts/threads. I think @ ZTD | TECHnology ZTD | TECHnology mentioned this earlier. Are you still planning on it?

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Well Meta Knight is gonna have to work hard regardless in every fight. While Speed Drill loses the ability to angle and by extension that stage hop thing we can do maybe I should test it a bit more.

I'm convinced the rest of his custom moves are garbage.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
It's worth noting that Meta Knight also drops in tiers and becomes potentially unviable in customs, though. Most (every) MK here hates playing that unbalanced mode, anyway.
Meta Knight doesn't lose his viability in customs. I feel Ito's performances with the character is proof of that. Also, I love custom moves, yet Meta Knight is one of my mains. I feel the only reason MK mains have so much bitterness toward customs is because his customs (outside of HSD) are absolute trash.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
@ ZTD | TECHnology ZTD | TECHnology @Katakiri FAQ thread when? Fye's right we get the same questions way too often.

MK is like mid tier in customs which isn't good at all, but you can go in raw and do well by simply being good with MK(Ito,Katakiri and Fye shout outs). Some MUs are stupidly hard in customs, HSD all comes down to preference.

But you cannot ignore its usefulness in certain MUs despite that silly SD button effect it has. Against Rosaluma at mid range it becomes safe on block and it kills Luma from the half way point of FD. Even if she rolls,spotdodges or shields that thing will still get killed. This move is amazing at zone breaking and make projectile users play more carefully.

Its also a good camping tool that random 7% and push effect is ok i guess, i can send replays if anyone wants to see me cheese the custom olimar MU for 8mins. It was friendles as well, but i regret nothing. Up throw into dtilt to kill pikman won't work on one of his neutral B customs. Custom sucks,.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
Yo, Ito. You have any specific R.O.B. advice. I'll be attending tournaments soon and one of the strongest contenders in my scene is Holy. I do not intend to have a secondary for vanilla, so I would like to learn the match up theoretically before I manage to get some R.O.B. practice.
Check katakiri's YouTube channel. He had some games with @Mister Eric's rob and a really god rob he found on FG. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w3gLLrmZOFI. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hcVLe4cTcsg

Last edited:

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
Meta Knight doesn't lose his viability in customs. I feel Ito's performances with the character is proof of that. Also, I love custom moves, yet Meta Knight is one of my mains. I feel the only reason MK mains have so much bitterness toward customs is because his customs (outside of HSD) are absolute trash.
I'll admit that there is some bias because of that, but the more I play customs, the more I don't like to play with them. I don't feel they add more than they hinder in the long run. MK still has the same game plan in customs, it just becomes harder to execute because others gain better/safer moves. And some just straight out switch matchup ratios around DK, Villager, Mii Brawler (and Marth to an extent). Palutena is one of the few buffed characters that I think we consistently win in both default and customs.

I always drill at least once per tournament on accident, so HSD would probably hurt me more in the long run. That Olimar match sounds hilarious, though. Camping with MK frustrates so many people because of our insane options/opportunities when they screw up.

CatcherAndTheRai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CatcherAndTheRai
So, I'll be participating in a wifi tourney today which the top 8 will be streamed so wish me luck fellow knights!

I also have a question. I seem to have A LOT of trouble with :4ness::4sonic:and other projectiley characters like :4link::4rob:, I was wondering your thoughts on a good secondary to work on that would work well against those characters...

warionumbah2

Smash Master
MK doesn't need a secondary to beat :4link::4ness: lol, but you said online so it makes sense.

I recommend a top tier. Easy and simple.

Last edited:

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
I've been looking for someone to deal with ROB as well. I checked the ROB boards and it looks like Sheik, Diddy, and Pikachu are your best bets while Mario, Fox, Yoshi, ZSS, and Captain Falcon are also good. I've talked with Shugo for a bit (a great Sonic player from Ohio) and he says that both Sheik and Fox make it hard for Sonic. Those should be your best bets.

I'm thinking of either going back to Yoshi or start playing Fox for these. Sheik is too boring for me to play.

Qazoo306

Smash Cadet
I'm going to my first tournament tomorrow. It's Bo1, all on FD, Smash 3DS. Any advice for tournament in general? It's my first one, so I would like some advice.

CatcherAndTheRai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CatcherAndTheRai
Take your time in the neutral, since its Bo1. The most important key would be just to take deep breaths, wait for your opponent to throw out something laggy and get your hit confirms in. That is just basics though but more important in Bo1s. Hope i gave some input.

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
Bo1's are pretty brutal in any game... at that point, it's all mental. You could win with god damn Charizard because Bo1 simply isn't enough time to figure out a MU, so long as you bring the better mental game, you will probably come out on top.

Just stay chill. Know you're gonna win even WHEN, not if, but WHEN you are a stock behind. Now do it.

Ulevo

Smash Master
So Forward Smash combos in to dash attack at low % if the opponent DI's towards you.

That is all.

EDIT: Also found out the Shuttle Loop bug where the grounded Shuttle Loop (which I am now calling Shuttle Launch) will do 3% less damage is not restricted to throws. It is bugged for all true combos. In other words, if you land a Shuttle Launch after a launcher and you get 21%, your opponent was out of hit stun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom