• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Today's tournament:

4th out of 36 teams. Teamed with my static Mario. Did very well.

Singles: 13th out of 111. Katakiri got 17th.

Today, I faced the meta game.

Seriously my pool was 2 Falcons, a Falcon/Pikachu, a Ness/Rosa, a Fox and a Sheik. Got first seed. One of the Falcons was the projected first seed and is PRed (11th)

Bracket, I played a Sheik (6th on the PR) and lost. Then had to play two Ness and a Luigi (good player).Beat them and then lost to #9 on our PR using Rosalina. All today needed was a Diddy.

Annoying AF but I did solid. 100% MK. I'm seeing gains!

Unfortunately Katakiri got Luigi'ed again. Lost to the same two Luigi's he lost to at Shuffle. -_-

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
i played against luigi in the first, second, and third round every single game i played until i ran into trevonte in winners finals at made. hes like as common as diddy now lol

ZTD | TECHnology

All the Diddys I encounter now are actually good because all the frauds dropped him after the patch. Luigi is the new Diddy now ROFL

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Luigi = Joker

No matter how many times batman puts him down he always bounces back.

Edit: I think its time we start y'know camping them, maybe not for Ito since he's the best MK user in the world. Katakiri is the only MK i've seen who WILL camp when he wants to win, why do you guys not do such a simple tactic that this game supports?

Its not just bottom tiers it works on its also effective against a few high tiers.

4th out of 36 teams. Teamed with my static Mario. Did very well.
:4mario: back throw --> :4metaknight: tornado --> :4mario: FLUDD is absolutely disgusting. All you gotta do is improve MK basically, Mario generally struggles to kill but we got kill throws, up smash, f smash etc.

Seriously that combo is dangerous on TnC.

Last edited:

Dogivet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dogivet
3DS FC
1375-7594-5859
Hey guys,
Thought it might be time while I rarely log in to this site to somewhat give a little greeting to this board, outside of the 1(2?) post I made here a while ago.

I picked up Meta Knight on a whim wanting to try something different this game and he has surely clicked with me very well, and given the more flexible time, this is my first smash game that I've taken (somewhat) seriously, I've been to a few locals and done, I think, rather well.
(Only just found this summery site, Results: http://qldsmash.com/Players/VIC?p=Dogivet [also a 13th/49th, was my first tourney but was not registered for some reason]). But, most of my losses have been of me playing to recklessly and getting punished since I thought Meta Knight was more of a rush down character.

However, I've been lurking around recently every couple of days ever since I took a nice break from smash, seen some great advice about bait and punish, walking back to dashing forward, combo's I didn't even think existed outside of Dash Attack and D-Throw, as well as watching the first stream of Smash 4 in a while (Foundry, wow Ito...), that I can see so much more potential in my play, so hopefully I can break some habits.
I have another tourney in 2 weeks from now (if all goes well in timing), so might post some results after that.

Depending on if I re-burn out on smash, I may hang around here some more.
See you around.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Luigi = Joker

No matter how many times batman puts him down he always bounces back.

Edit: I think its time we start y'know camping them, maybe not for Ito since he's the best MK user in the world. Katakiri is the only MK i've seen who WILL camp when he wants to win, why do you guys not do such a simple tactic that this game supports?

Its not just bottom tiers it works on its also effective against a few high tiers.

:4mario: back throw --> :4metaknight: tornado --> :4mario: FLUDD is absolutely disgusting. All you gotta do is improve MK basically, Mario generally struggles to kill but we got kill throws, up smash, f smash etc.

Seriously that combo is dangerous on TnC.
The Luigi I beat yesterday: After I dropped Game 1, I just never approached until he committed. He took me to Castle Siege Game 3 and I almost timed him out. Managed to kill him with about 20 seconds left lol.

I just go for the timeout now but look for the openings. Haven't lost to a Luigi that wasn't a top level player in a while. Also if they get cocky with Fireball spam, Dimensional Cape that ass. It will make them reevaluate pressing that B button a second time lol.

And we actually labbed it up to perfect Fluddnado. We're doing it out of Mario's F Throw too. Fluddnado is a true 0 to death on Rosalina on normal roofs. Its a true 0 to death on most characters on low roofs too. I'm so glad @smasher1001 and I discovered this jank ROFL.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
The Luigi I beat yesterday: After I dropped Game 1, I just never approached until he committed. He took me to Castle Siege Game 3 and I almost timed him out. Managed to kill him with about 20 seconds left lol.

I just go for the timeout now but look for the openings. Haven't lost to a Luigi that wasn't a top level player in a while. Also if they get cocky with Fireball spam, Dimensional Cape that ***. It will make them reevaluate pressing that B button a second time lol.

And we actually labbed it up to perfect Fluddnado. We're doing it out of Mario's F Throw too. Fluddnado is a true 0 to death on Rosalina on normal roofs. Its a true 0 to death on most characters on low roofs too. I'm so glad @smasher1001 and I discovered this jank ROFL.
Ma *****

ZTD | TECHnology

http://smashboards.com/threads/rebirth-iv-111-entrants-livonia-mi-6-6-15.405431/

Results thread to Rebirth for those who are interested. Check out that Top 16 (business as usual until you see Ike @ 4th and that random Meta Knight at 13th lol).

This weekend taught me a lot and some things clicked for me. I'm about to put in my lab coat though in preparationf for the big Canadian event I am going to in July. I'm right on the cusp of breaking in to the next level. I gotta make some big strides to get there though. But I know I can :)

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace

I've heard people talk about camping with MK, but I've never actually done it myself. How and why would MK go about camping? Is it really as simple as forcing the other playing to approach you?

Qazoo306

Smash Cadet
Just finished that tournament I mentioned a few posts ago. I got second (we even convinced the TO to let the finals be Bo3!) I lost against my friends Rosalina, then I lost to his Lucario (I did SD and was bringing
It back). Forgot to save replays.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I've heard people talk about camping with MK, but I've never actually done it myself. How and why would MK go about camping? Is it really as simple as forcing the other playing to approach you?
How? You just run away nothing complicated, i can send you replays if you'd like.

Why? So you can win and crush your opponents moral. By simply running away with a stock lead your opponent is being pressured by the clock, when this happens it'll be easy to chip in damage while timing them out.

Honestly a campy MK invalidates certain characters.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
How? You just run away nothing complicated, i can send you replays if you'd like.

Why? So you can win and crush your opponents moral. By simply running away with a stock lead your opponent is being pressured by the clock, when this happens it'll be easy to chip in damage while timing them out.

Well damn, that is easy. I usually never consider such a tactic because I'm impatient.

But I did do that vs. a shulk yesterday. I was playing as Little Mac, though. This person was playing kinda trolly, just rolling a lot and only attacking when I got close. So I got the stock lead and camped, but he never approached, so we spent the next 3+ minutes whiffing moves until timeout, and I won. I was like "um, ok, thanks for the win, bro."

I guess I should try that out with MK sometime.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I won a tournament in Posadas, Argentina where I went with some friends. Only 32 participants but the prize was a 2DS. I went MK 100%.

Last edited:

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
No vids right? Good job holding it down with MK in South America. Sounds like u dominate in your region.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
No vids right? Good job holding it down with MK in South America. Sounds like u dominate in your region.
Thanks, man! Yeah I have replays of games I've played. I didn't get to sleep the night before the tourney so I played aggressive to finish the matches faster lol.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master

That's one way to win a match I guess. It ain't pretty but it works considering you could technically flap around your opponent like an annoying bat.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I think Meta Knight is solidly high tier. That being said, part of what artificially inflates the perception of his strength is when opponents gets frustrated having to deal with a Meta Knight's defensive play. A high level player who is patient will probably get a lot more milage going against one than an intermediate player who hates not having control of the match. Having good punish tools, multiple jumps and a near unpunishable, high reward read tool, it is all part of the territory.

CatcherAndTheRai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CatcherAndTheRai
Hey everyone, so i have a local im going to next week. and i was wondering if any of you skilled MK would be so kind into playing some matches with me online. and maybe give me some pointers of some things i can improve on?? We dont have a stream set up, so I was thinking this would be the only way for my MK to be seen by you guys. So if any of you guys are interested, please, let me know!!

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
I'm starting to realise that we can't win against top tiers and bad MUs unless we play super campy. I can manage playing aggressively against lesser skilled opponents but decent top tier users force me to play like that. And I kinda hate 7 minutes games when training in friendlies, but I have to if I want to play correctly later on in competitive play.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Howdy fellas, I'm a long time lurker of these boards, finally made an account and am looking to actively participate and contribute :) I live in Maine and finding any sort of competition here is pretty rough, however our first ever monthly tournament started last month. I wasn't able to attend but I'm planning on going this month and repping the bat.

Name: Amadeus (Derek Higgins)
Talents: Working on Computers, being a massive weeb
Likes: Anime, Electronic Music, Smash, Anime, and animating
Dislikes: Cauliflower
Goals: Get a degree in Computer Science!
Other facts: Don't know, I don't think I'm that interesting x)

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
I'm messing around with uair strings. How exactly are you supposed to consistently fast fall between uairs? Without a trigger set to jump it just seems too finicky. Also this community is pretty awesome, you all seem very helpful ^_^

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
Itol uses completely default settings. I think he just uses control stick for upair AND fast falling, maybe not. Whatever you use, make sure it's comfortable and just practice.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Yeah, I have trouble doing those up-air strings, too. I have jump mapped to the X and Y buttons, and jump disabled on the stick. So it's kinda awkward to do, especially on a 3DS.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Picked him up and I'm liking him loads. The patient and bait heavy playstyle is fun. Planning on sticking with him since he complements Wario pretty well I think.

Right now I'm trying to get a feel for his edgeguarding and combos. Mostly curious on what are the best situations to use Tornado in since I'm only using it to cover get up options now. Also wanna know if he gets anything out of a short hop?

ZTD | TECHnology

Picked him up and I'm liking him loads. The patient and bait heavy playstyle is fun. Planning on sticking with him since he complements Wario pretty well I think.

Right now I'm trying to get a feel for his edgeguarding and combos. Mostly curious on what are the best situations to use Tornado in since I'm only using it to cover get up options now. Also wanna know if he gets anything out of a short hop?
Copy/pasted from Q and A thread:

My primary uses for Mach Tornado include:

Follow ups from Dash Attack/D/F-Throw/Dair/etc when allowed.

Punishing roll and spotdodges.

Trapping people on platforms above me. (Up-Airing them first greatly increases your chances of a shield poke. If you tend to Up Air them, they sometimes spotdodge. If you can bait that, free Nado. If they ever roll on a platform above you for any reason: free nado.

Punishing airdodges (You can either just wait for it if they are above you or bait it after an Up Air or Up Air chain.

Going through weak projectiles and catch opponents in their end lag.

Punishing big commitments in general and I need damage.

Covering ledge options.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
When someone is on a platform hit them with one or two uairs then jump tornado to get a guranteed shield poke. On some characters I camp with dair then fastfall onto them with nado.

Low percents use it out of DA to get an easy 30%, it works on
:4falcon:
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4charizard::4darkpit::4dk::4fox::4megaman::4mewtwo::4pit::4rob::4samus::4shulk::4sonic::4wario2:

Edit: At a certain height it auto cancels like the cape and when MK spins around in his helpless state, he can slide off platforms to avoid punishment. It allows you to slip away very well on BF if your nado whiffs and your opponent is waiting to punish.

He gets nothing from sh, you can sh and fast fall into dtilt but i don't find sh useful at all on such a ground based character.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Recalling how I previously mentioned that Meta Knights Shuttle Launch is bugged, and does 3% less than it should, I am starting to believe this might have been done on purpose. When I attempt to do combos with Mach Tornado, I am never able to achieve the 22% maximum damage output that would yield the full combo %, while I can consistently get 22% by itself or when the combo drops. I think this might have been a deliberate form of psuedo-proration.

Does anyone know if other characters have something like this?

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
I'm pretty sure it's just that the first hit of Shuttle Loop has an early and late hit box.

I think this is the data for Shuttle Loop (Taken from here: http://pastebin.com/PzTjdtx8)

unknown substate 0x23a
Frame 8- 8: 9% 130b/10g (KO@ 809%) 86° 1.5-Hitlag Slash
Frame 8- 8: 9% 127b/10g (KO@ 847%) 88° 1.5-Hitlag Slash
Frame 8- 8: 9% 98b/10g 86° 1.5-Hitlag Slash
Frame 8- 8: 9% 98b/10g 88° 1.5-Hitlag Slash
Frame 9-12: 6% 90b/10g 86° Slash
Frame 22-27: 6% 55b/130g (KO@ 174%) 80° 1.5-Hitlag Slash
Max Damage: 15%
Enables state transition on real frame 6
Enables all ledge grabs on real frame 8

So if the first hit hits on frame 8, then it does 9%, otherwise it does 6%. When used out of combos, the opponent is usually launched too far to be hit by the early hit box, so it does 6% instead of 9%.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Tap jump is the best for MK IMO, its easy to fast fall then fling it back up for a fast uair, shuttleloop OOS. It also makes footstool combos easy to set up.

Also forgot to add that down throw to nado wokrs depending on how your opponent DI's, if you whiff the nado will auto cancel so long as you mash correctly after short hopping.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

So I was watching some of Ito's videos as well as Salena (Japanese) and I just notice they move so fast when it comes to starting those Up Air strings. Like when Ito Up-Airs a Luigi, they don't get to Nair out of it. I'm always worried about that so I just stop them short.

Then I started wondering why I can't Up-Air chain consistently like they can.

Then it dawned on me. Tap Jump. I have it off. I think for the first time ever, I'm gonna actually have to turn it back on. I just can see where I'm losing precious frames on the transition of having to use X + Up + C-Stick. Not only that but multiple top players have been telling me I need to OoS Loop more. I could simply just use my R for Jump but honestly I might as well make the switch since it will help with both of those problems. I keep not punishing optimally out of fear of not doing it fast enough. At this point, that's not an excuse. I just need to grind hardcore with Tap Jump on now.

I hope this transition won't be too bad.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
So I was watching some of Ito's videos as well as Salena (Japanese) and I just notice they move so fast when it comes to starting those Up Air strings. Like when Ito Up-Airs a Luigi, they don't get to Nair out of it. I'm always worried about that so I just stop them short.

Then I started wondering why I can't Up-Air chain consistently like they can.

Then it dawned on me. Tap Jump. I have it off. I think for the first time ever, I'm gonna actually have to turn it back on. I just can see where I'm losing precious frames on the transition of having to use X + Up + C-Stick. Not only that but multiple top players have been telling me I need to OoS Loop more. I could simply just use my R for Jump but honestly I might as well make the switch since it will help with both of those problems. I keep not punishing optimally out of fear of not doing it fast enough. At this point, that's not an excuse. I just need to grind hardcore with Tap Jump on now.

I hope this transition won't be too bad.
That's exactly what I've been struggling with. The problem is my muscle memory is really, really stuck on x as jump lol. It will take a lot of practice to switch to tap jump for me. If it means playing optimally though? Then yeah I'll try it.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Back in the days of Brawl I strictly had tap jump on but with the limiting controls of the 3DS (before the new came out) I had to learn how to play with tap jump off so I could up b and uair without using my double jump. Thanks to that, I'm comfortable with both tap jump on and off so I've got two names I use, obviously one having it on and the other having it off. MK, Ike, Toon Link and Pika have it on while most of the time the others have it off. It wasn't too hard for me to get used to though there's times where I use X to jump even when tap jump is on.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Guys its not hard, just slide your thumbs from x to a and get the rhythm. Its basically chop...chop...chop. There's times where you either finish early with shuttle loop or fast fall to keep it going which is the difficult part.

Uair strings aren't the center of his gameplay anyway but it seems everyone feels the need to get it asap, it'll come naturally when you play MK alot. That's how I got it anyway, I hold up for a fh uair then I keep my analog stick up(diagnally sometimes because my opponent tries to DI) while I slide my thumb from a to x or whatever and when I notice the character going at an angle where my next uair will fail I'll flick it down then up real fast then press a. That is why tap jump is better.

Its alot of experiance that shines with uair strings tbh, you need to know the height of MKs jumps and when you can or cannot continue. If you go too deep you'll mess up and waste the shuttle loop finish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom