• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
and another thing roy was a way better character than marth enough said
If that's an opinion it's acceptable. If you think that's a fact then the Tier Lists disagree with you. I'm leaning towards opinion.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Also, what about Roy Campbell?
Can't say much since I have like no knowledge of MGS. However, I think Roy can borrow some moves from Roy Koopa.

Omg, I almost forgot about Roy Bromwell.

I could see Roy (FE) delivering uppercuts and creating shockwaves from punching the ground.

x kharmah x

Smash Cadet
If that's an opinion it's acceptable. If you think that's a fact then the Tier Lists disagree with you. I'm leaning towards opinion.
in the speed department marth has roy beat but in power he ruels by using what speed that roy has and his power he can beat marth with doging and his powerful counter special i have also beaten people using marth while as roy and people might say that marth is just as powerful by using the sweet spot of his sword which is the tip of the blade roy has power no matter where he hits with his sword by sticking close and using counter attacks roy can defeat marth

D

Deleted member

in the speed department marth has roy beat but in power he ruels by using what speed that roy has and his power he can beat marth with doging and his powerful counter special i have also beaten people using marth while as roy and people might say that marth is just as powerful by using the sweet spot of his sword which is the tip of the blade roy has power no matter where he hits with his sword by sticking close and using counter attacks roy can defeat marth
Power means **** if you don't have the speed to use it. Battle Manga rule #1.

Real talk though, I've taken down dozens of Roy mains claiming the same thing you just did. Wish we could settle this old school style.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Please use punctuation... I had a hard time understanding what you said there.

x kharmah x

Smash Cadet
Power means **** if you don't have the speed to use it. Battle Manga rule #1.

Real talk though, I've taken down dozens of Roy mains claiming the same thing you just did. Wish we could settle this old school style.
same case as u i have beaten tons of marths using this method and that sounds like on hell of a challenge

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The thing is that if an update/re-release to Melee was ever made with an online feature added, there would likely be a lot of balancing work, so Marth would probably be nerfed pretty heavily, while Roy would get serious buffs, so the outcome would be down to whoever is the better skilled played as opposed to the character that they chose to play as.

D

Deleted member

The thing is that if an update/re-release to Melee was ever made with an online feature added, there would likely be a lot of balancing work, so Marth would probably be nerfed pretty heavily, while Roy would get serious buffs, so the outcome would be down to whoever is the better skilled played as opposed to the character that they chose to play as.
>would

The word you're looking for is COULD

There is no guarantee they would change much, especially considering the acknowledgement Melee gets from Sakurai and Nintendo as a competitive game. They might do some slight changes here and there, but nothing is set in stone, especially considering an online Melee would be done JUST to cater to the hardcore audience, so they'd listen to them first.

Likewise, if changes were made, they'd be made to Fox, and the lower end of the tier list (barring Pichu of course). Still, Marth is good because Marth has flow, something Roy lacks.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There is no guarantee they would change much, especially considering the acknowledgement Melee gets from Sakurai and Nintendo as a competitive game. They might do some slight changes here and there, but nothing is set in stone, especially considering an online Melee would be done JUST to cater to the hardcore audience, so they'd listen to them first.

Likewise, if changes were made, they'd be made to Fox, and the lower end of the tier list (barring Pichu of course). Still, Marth is good because Marth has flow, something Roy lacks.
Considering Marth got hit with some nerfs with the European version of Melee, there is a good chance that Marth could be hit with further nerfs in a re-release for Melee while Roy could enjoy some buffs.

I think even Sakurai knows the balance could have been better for Melee even among those who play the game casually.

x kharmah x

Smash Cadet
i agree because they way i play with roy is way different than i have seen others play as him

D

Deleted member

Yeah, but the point is that there is no certainty. It's not like balancing is an easy task. What's most likely to happen is the same game with online, and many people would be very pleased with just that.

Likewise, I think it's safe to assume a Melee remake would be catered to the hard-core audience, as the casuals already have Brawl.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
This is my Roy:

Dtilt to Fsmash all day, every day.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yeah, but the point is that there is no certainty. It's not like balancing is an easy task. What's most likely to happen is the same game with online, and many people would be very pleased with just that.

Likewise, I think it's safe to assume a Melee remake would be catered to the hard-core audience, as the casuals already have Brawl.
A Melee re-release with great online features and extensive balancing would probably go down as one of the best fighting games of all time.

I think that may be the "bone" that Sakurai throws to the competitive side of the Smash Bros. fanbase if Smash 4 continues to focus mostly on the casual side of things.

My personal opinion is that Smash 4 will have better balance than Melee and Brawl, but it won't be as geared to competitive players as Melee was, but definitely a better competitive game than Brawl.

D

Deleted member

A Melee re-release with great online features and extensive balancing would probably go down as one of the best fighting games of all time.

I think that may be the "bone" that Sakurai throws to the competitive side of the Smash Bros. fanbase if Smash 4 continues to focus mostly on the casual side of things.

My personal opinion is that Smash 4 will have better balance than Melee and Brawl, but it won't be as geared to competitive players as Melee was, but definitely a better competitive game than Brawl.
Who knows, deep down. I'd like it if Sakurai took some ideas to make Smash4 fresh and new, but still competitive. Blazblue does a good job at teaching casuals how to play a deep game. The problem with Melee is that it was indeed too hard in the sense that all the hidden mechanics were well hidden. If Smash4 takes the time to teach casuals how to play well, there shouldn't be a problem. Canceling and such isn't hard.

Who knows at this point though...

But yeah, a Melee remake would indeed rock.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
This is my Roy:

Dtilt to Fsmash all day, every day.
Down tilt to Forward Smash normally works on fast falling characters like Fox or Captain Falcon. For slower falling characters like Jigglypuff and Peach, it's not very effective. However for most characters, you can use a combination of a down tilt and a down aerial to juggle the opponent. Of course due to to awkward properties of the down aerial, it's a bit tricky to execute due to the meteor smash properties being around Roy's torso.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Down tilt to Forward Smash normally works on fast falling characters like Fox or Captain Falcon. For slower falling characters like Jigglypuff and Peach, it's not very effective. However for most characters, you can use a combination of a down tilt and a down aerial to juggle the opponent. Of course due to to awkward properties of the down aerial, it's a bit tricky to execute due to the meteor smash properties being around Roy's torso.
Ah yes, it's true. I do find it harder to use that combo on more "floaty" characters, like Jigglypuff, Kirby, etc. Speaking of awkward properties, Roy also has some very, very awkward spike moves, like Usmash and Dsmash? Dsmash in particular I haven't pulled of, but I've seen videos. Spiking with DED3^ is very tricky for me (I've done it a few times). But when timed right, the KOs are always satisfying. Roy's such an awkward fighter, like I don't even know sometimes lol.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well the thing to remember about Roy is that he's essentially Marth but under a different light. The properties are different but the moves are the same, which naturally leads to an awkward case of inappropriate disadvantages. Marth is a character designed to flow with his graceful sword play to dazzle the opponent in combos. It's like a rhythm; get the beat right and you're golden, screw up and you'll be slaughtered. The problem with Roy is that he lacks that type of synergy, which is why he generally feels more awkward to play as.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Well the thing to remember about Roy is that he's essentially Marth but under a different light. The properties are different but the moves are the same, which naturally leads to an awkward case of inappropriate disadvantages. Marth is a character designed to flow with his graceful sword play to dazzle the opponent in combos. It's like a rhythm; get the beat right and you're golden, screw up and you'll be slaughtered. The problem with Roy is that he lacks that type of synergy, which is why he generally feels more awkward to play as.
Do you think that Roy could have good synergy if done right, even as a Marth semi-clone? Or perhaps it would be better if they drop that all together and give Roy new standard moves that better suits his playstyle. Sorry, I know you don't care much for Roy, but I'd love to hear your (and other's) opinion.

At any rate, I do agree that Marth has good synergy...However, online I have problems stringing together combos. I think the littlest lag spike throws me off, especially using Dancing Blade. Anyone else experience this? Or maybe it's because I suck too much lol.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

D

Deleted member

Do you think that Roy could have good synergy if done right, even as a Marth semi-clone? Or perhaps it would be better if they drop that all together and give Roy new standard moves that better suits his playstyle. Sorry, I know you don't care much for Roy, but I'd love to hear your (and other's) opinion.

At any rate, I do agree that Marth has good synergy...However, online I have problems stringing together combos. I think the littlest lag spike throws me off, especially using Dancing Blade. Anyone else experience this? Or maybe it's because I suck too much lol.
I think Roy would be better off having something totally original. Like a focus on more ranged fire attacks, and an ability to close the distance with his foes. Something to let him make better use of his added power.

Roy is a good example of why clones are a bad idea. Falco is the example of why they are good.

As for Marth in online, yeah, lag will do that to you. Throw off the dude's groove and you're SOL. Miss the beat and Marth now has to play catch up. He is one of the best examples of a Momentum character in Smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Falco is still a semi-clone in Brawl though, thinking that Roy will end up in the same boat. And I do not consider Falco a good example of why clones are good just because Falco is good, but if you mean the difference in properties in stats between Fox and Falco, then I'd agree. They really screwed up with Roy's characterisation compared to Marth.

Dr.Mario is still worse however.

x kharmah x

Smash Cadet
I think Roy would be better off having something totally original. Like a focus on more ranged fire attacks, and an ability to close the distance with his foes. Something to let him make better use of his added power.

Roy is a good example of why clones are a bad idea. Falco is the example of why they are good.

As for Marth in online, yeah, lag will do that to you. Throw off the dude's groove and you're SOL. Miss the beat and Marth now has to play catch up. He is one of the best examples of a Momentum character in Smash.
i think that roy should have his own diverse move set

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Some slight similarities with Marth are no problem. But for the most part, yes that would be the best thing for Roy.

D

Deleted member

Falco is still a semi-clone in Brawl though, thinking that Roy will end up in the same boat. And I do not consider Falco a good example of why clones are good just because Falco is good, but if you mean the difference in properties in stats between Fox and Falco, then I'd agree. They really screwed up with Roy's characterisation compared to Marth.

Dr.Mario is still worse however.
I was mostly referring to Melee Falco, who's the only clone I like using. I was mostly referning to him being a good example because it effectively did what clones are meant to do. Though that only worked because Fox is such a well-rounded character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Captain Falcon -> Ganondorf in Melee also isn't half bad. Both are good in their purpose. And especially since Ganondorf was a last minute addtion, and even the last character added to the game. Despite this he had the most unique moves out of all Melee clones.

Jab, Forward Aerial and Up Tilt where all drastically different attacks from Falcon, in design, usage, and even animation.

It's also this which makes me pissed which Brawl Ganondorf gave us, yet I stil llike playing as him. :ganondorf:

Cause besides a new Side B, Forward Tilt, Up Smash, and maybe Up B, Ganondorf was still a semi-clone of C.Falcon, no more unique than Falco again was from Fox. Which is a damn shame.

Hence why I also don't have HUGE hopes for a completely unique Roy. I think Roy will make it in as a last minute semi-clone addtion.

D

Deleted member

Captain Falcon -> Ganondorf in Melee also isn't half bad. Both are good in their purpose. And especially since Ganondorf was a last minute addtion, and even the last character added to the game. Despite this he had the most unique moves out of all Melee clones.

Jab, Forward Aerial and Up Tilt where all drastically different attacks from Falcon, in design, usage, and even animation.

It's also this which makes me pissed which Brawl Ganondorf gave us, yet I stil llike playing as him. :ganondorf:

Cause besides a new Side B, Forward Tilt, Up Smash, and maybe Up B, Ganondorf was still a semi-clone of C.Falcon, no more unique than Falco again was from Fox. Which is a damn shame.

Hence why I also don't have HUGE hopes for a completely unique Roy. I think Roy will make it in as a last minute semi-clone addtion.
Yeah, I forgot about Ganondorf, it's mostly because I hardly ever play as heavy characters in ANY fighter.

He's another good example too in Melee. Doc is another good example, though I always preferred to play Vanilla Mario.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Link and Young Link are also quite evenly balanced from each other I always felt. But generally felt Pichu, Doc and Young Link where the worst clone additions to Melee.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I'm glad some people would like a more original Roy. There are some really innovative ideas floating around. Unfortunately, I'm not expecting that to happen, but you never know. Well, I'm hoping for something like Lucas/Wolf if not original.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think Roy will most likely get a new Neutral B attack. Well, not that that is really needed, since Marth already had his Neutral B changed in Brawl, but he could easily still inherrit Ike's Eruption, while Ike gets a different attack (hopefully).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
In a little over a month, the next stage of speculating will commence. New users will flock onto the scene, but the ones that should be watched over are the ones from GameFAQs. The people as you know are not the brightest bunch of the group, but will swarm in large masses. To tame them you'll need to stay sharp, diligent, and cunning.

I say this because of their attachment to Chrom and their denial of anything else. As said by Chrono, these discussions are like a Fire Emblem game and there is a notable division between "nations". Prepare yourselves for the frontal assault from the east, since those people will likely strike at Roy. Though I am not keen to Roy or any Fire Emblem characters, I will join the side of Flare Boy to teach the fools what for. Those people need a good punch in the face to see their foolhardy ways.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
In a little over a month, the next stage of speculating will commence. New users will flock onto the scene, but the ones that should be watched over are the ones from GameFAQs. The people as you know are not the brightest bunch of the group, but will swarm in large masses. To tame them you'll need to stay sharp, diligent, and cunning.

I say this because of their attachment to Chrom and their denial of anything else. As said by Chrono, these discussions are like a Fire Emblem game and there is a notable division between "nations". Prepare yourselves for the frontal assault from the east, since those people will likely strike at Roy. Though I am not keen to Roy or any Fire Emblem characters, I will join the side of Flare Boy to teach the fools what for. Those people need a good punch in the face to see their foolhardy ways.
As a lurker in the GFAQs boards, I can say this is very much true.

The sheer amount of stupidity going on there every day is astounding. Guess we will need some mods to take care of the stupid posts that will come.

D

Deleted member

Meh, I'm not too particularly fond of Roy, so I'll just sit back and watch the fireworks. I may poke a couple laughs at both sides for ****s and giggles. And try to piss off the Chrom fans by rubbing Lucina's popularity in their face. Then I'll go off on my usual tangent of how Lyn is the best choice because gameplay. And then rub the fact that she matches Chrom in popularity in the West right across their stupid grins.

It'll be a good time... I can't wait actually.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Crushing ignorant morons like playing a Whack-a-Mole arcade game... it will surely be interesting. :evil:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Guuuys, I don't think I'll be ready for this. I'm not that emotionally strong...But I'll try my best against ignorant fans. Gamefaqs is far, far more worse, especially when it comes FE like Roy, Chrom, etc, as I'm sure you all know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom