• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
You know Chrono, your fierce passion towards Roy is quite inspiring. And really, you're one of the best we have here amongst the community. Lately I've been wanting Marth, Ike and Roy to happen more than any other possibility. Chrom really doesn't interest me much. But this is also cause I haven't played Awakening yet. I do however view him as likely as Roy is at this point. But if I had to pick, I'd pick Roy as of now.
Thank you for your kind words and praise. I appreciate it. Although I have been supporting Roy's returns for over five years now, I also have been supporting Ridley for over 12 years and supported King Dedede for over six years. By the time Smash 4 releases, my fight for Roy will have certainly have been longer than the one for King Dedede though (assuming I decide to stick around after the probable Ridley confirmation six weeks from now).

I am truly humbled and honored that you would call me among the best of this community. I really appreciate any compliments I receive.

Practically every Nintendo character I really liked already was added with Brawl. Had Brawl had Ridley, Mewtwo, and Roy, I would have though the roster was perfect, and have had no interest in Smash 4.

I have been supporting characters to get in since the pre-Melee days, and at this point there is barely anyone left for me (Ridley, Mega Man, Mewtwo, Roy).

It was really Ridley not making it for Brawl that made me even have an interest for Smash 4.

At this point Smash 4 is the only upcoming game I have an interest in buying.

If Ridley is confirmed at E3, and if I still feel some passion left for the Smash Bros. community, I will work hard on building Roy' support and helping defend his return for Smash 4.

I gotta hand it to Chrono, he sure has worked hard to raise support for Roy.

I can't claim the same for my favorite characters, as I'm too damn lazy, hahahahaha.

Anyway, I've recently been thinking up of a moveset for Roy. Though maybe you guys'd be interested in seeing it. It'd be something somewhat inspired from my all-time favorite fighting game character, considering the two do bear SOME resemblances:

Picture of Sol

Of course, Roy will never be as cool as Sol, then again, not many people are, I mean the dude is based of Freddie Mercury after all, and his name is mother****ing SOL BADGUY! I mean, how more cool can you get?

Anyway, I'll try to get it posted soon. I also owe the Ashley thread their moveset which I still gotta finish...
Wow. I never thought I would hear that from you (admiring my dedication to Roy's return). I am honored to hear you say that. It truly means something.

Though to be fair since Brawl's release, I have only put in a lot of effort to defending two characters (Ridley and Roy). During pre-Brawl and pre-Melee there were a lot more characters I was doing that for. So I guess I am pretty lazy nowadays too depending on how you look at it. :laugh:

I am curious to see your moveset for Roy as you have a lot of knowledge about other fighting series, and for another swordsmen like Roy, he needs all the help he can get to make him a captivating addition for those who did not like his Melee incarnation.

I do think the fire sword for Roy (with the sword actually being on fire like it is in FE6) would help at the least help Roy stand out from the rest of the cast from an aesthetics point of view.

I am really looking forward to it. :)

Well, it's kind of hard to talk about Roy in general considering he's pretty uninteresting. So give him props for at least trying, though he rarely talks from a game play prospective. Which bothers me because that's what matters in the end anyway.

Which reminds me, I bet most of you filthy casuals don't even know the in and outs of how Roy plays and are simply supporting Roy because of some sort of bandwagon like a bunch of sheep.
I will take that as a compliment. :laugh:

As for me not discussing about Roy through a gameplay perspective, its mostly because I am basically from a much different time period for Smash Bros. speculation and fandom. This is a person that used to talk about how the likes of Wario, Ganondorf, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Olimar, Pit, and Sonic deserved to be in Smash Bros. All of the characters in which I very much supported were incredibly important to their series, so that did not need a gameplay argument to in support of their inclusion. Only for King Dedede, Olimar, and Sonic did gameplay arguments against them sometimes come up, however, I argued more along the lines of their importance to Nintendo (sans Sonic) instead of addressing gameplay matters (though the Dedede gameplay arguments were incredibly dumb, with detractors saying Dedede would be redundant since we already have a hammer-wielder in Smash Bros. in the form of the Ice Climbers).

Really, the only character I ever had to make gameplay arguments in support of them was Ike, and after FE10, it was pretty easy being able to sell him through a gameplay point-of-view (a powerful, slow swordsman).

As I have said elsewhere on this forum, the only fighting game series I play is Smash Bros., so I don't really know much about making possible movesets or gameplay ideas for characters outside of the Smash Bros. sphere.

That being said, I have made movesets for the following characters:
- Dr. Mario (decloned)
- Toad
- K. Rool
- Ganondorf (decloned)
- Tingle
- Ridley
- Mewtwo (changed up a bit)
- Roy (decloned)
- Little Mac
- Isaac
- Starfy
- Ray (Custom Robo)
- Lip
- Diskun
- Mega Man

As for the reason why most people (at least in the West), support Roy, its because we loved playing as him in Melee. For many of us, our fun times with Roy is what led up to check out the Fire Emblem series.

Once again I am really looking forward to the moveset ideas for Roy, and will really appreciate them. :)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Me and Manly are trying to brainstorm a Roy moveset... but we're hitting a brick wall. Manly does like the concept of his fire sword playstyle due to his favorite character Sol from Guilty Gear also using something similar, but feels as though Roy himself is restricting possibilities. He says that the character is "boring", but he does like the concept of Roy having a charge gimmick in place the generic Counter that I came up with.

Still, it's harder then we anticipated due to the character being generic otherwise. We're not talking Chrom amounts of generic, but both of us don't find him exactly desirable regardless.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I never liked playing as Roy in Melee; he always seemed inferior to Marth, even when I was little. He was slower, weaker (sword gimmick), weirder (wtf is up with his K.O. pose?) and just... dumber. I didn't like his "HEEEYAH", which is quite ironic, considering I loved Young Link.

I don't support Roy, but I wouldn't care if he got in.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In PAL, Marth has received some nerfs in weight and power, so I always felt both where equal as a kid. Later I realised Marth was much better though.

D

Deleted member

Well, the problem with Roy is that he's not a bad enough dude to go around Punching people with his bare fists like Sol can:

Though Corph DID mention his resemblance to Roy from FMA, so any ideas people?

The main idea behind his playstyle is that he should have a charge up gimmick like Habanero said, to boost all his flame based techs for a limited time, but also be a sort of Jack-of-all-trades like Sol. We wanna keep the "middle of the sword" deal from Melee, but he'll need good Vertical, and horizontal approach options.

D

Deleted member

Of course Roy doesn't go around throwing fire punches.
That's Captain Falcon's shtick. :falcon:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
"Heeya" and "Falcon Punch" is not one thing. Roy has Flare Blades and ****.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Yes. Possibly. Maybe.

Ninian is half-Dragon, so If she is Roys mother, then Roy would only be quarter dragon.
Every Lord -except Sigurd and possibly Chrom- has married a generic girl, let's not bring about the couples issue here. Touchy subject for me I apologize.

Habanero, it's always struck to me that the focus on Roy's moveset should be mostly on his B (Special) attacks. In Melee, it was said that he excelled in that, and a little of combo potential on his A (Normal) moves. Now if we're to keep Marth and Ike, then Roy could stand in-between the two of them regarding physical damage.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Every Lord -except Sigurd and possibly Chrom- has married a generic girl, let's not bring about the couples issue here. Touchy subject for me I apologize.

Habanero, it's always struck to me that the focus on Roy's moveset should be mostly on his B (Special) attacks. In Melee, it was said that he excelled in that, and a little of combo potential on his A (Normal) moves. Now if we're to keep Marth and Ike, then Roy could stand in-between the two of them regarding physical damage.
Eliwood married Ninian.
Roy and Lilinia are potential lovers.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@ManlySpirit
Not sure how much help it will be, but here's my suggestion.

Since you want to keep the middle of the sword sweetspot, I think the tip of the sword should do more hitstun and obviously less damage, so that Roy can get in closer while the opponent is stunned.

Or you could make the tip of the sword actually deliver negative knockback, so that the enemy gets pulled closer to Roy to hit with the sweetspot.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Being a lazy asshole with nothing better to do, I just read through this whole thread. I fully support Roy's return, even more than Mewtwo's (don't tell them that though) and hope to see him return from his hiatus.

Are we expecting him to be an E3 reveal, or a later confirmation?

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I'm don't have that much knowledge and what not in fighting games (I only play Soul Calibur and MvC), but every time I try to declone Roy, I picture something like Phoenix, but also with a sword (though teleporting tricks would be neat). :/ lol So something like a rushdown and a zoner character, but also being a glass cannon? Dunno.

I'm really not fond of the sword's sweetspot. But if it could work out nicely (like some ideas I've already seen), not hindering him in the long run, I'd gladly accept it. Though, I'm not really sure what idea would be best.

Being a lazy ******* with nothing better to do, I just read through this whole thread. I fully support Roy's return, even more than Mewtwo's (don't tell them that though) and hope to see him return from his hiatus.

Are we expecting him to be an E3 reveal, or a later confirmation?
Glad to see another Roy supporter. I'm not really sure if he'll be revealed at E3, however, I could see him being a late confirmation if he's a secret character. Of course I'm hoping he'll appear at E3, but I'm not expecting it. But it would be a nice surprise if we see Returnee: Roy or Returnee: Mewtwo in the trailer.

x kharmah x

Smash Cadet
i miss roy he was a good character he should be added to the next smash bros and that they alter some of his move so he wont be like a marth type clone

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
and another thing roy was a way better character than marth enough said
Tier list says hi. Marth dominated Roy competively.

But outside of competitive matches they were both awesome. :awesome:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
well okay i agree because marth was faster
More powerful too. Marth's sweetspot (tip) is easier to hit and more practical in a fight.

Plus Marth is faster as well. :awesome:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
lol just a reaction he came hard and i had to come back not to hit on a personal note
Revenge does nothing but make you look stupid.

Keep that in mind.

NUH-UH! I hate everything about him. >=C

just kidding don't kill me
KILL THE INFIDEL!!!

I keed. You're a really cool guy.

D

Deleted member

That made my day. Thank you.

But Golden you don't get back.

You get even and then some.
Aw, my Godzilla jokes on Anna's thread didn't do that already?
But anyways, you are welcome.
And yes. Yes I do.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
And a nifty sword, I've heard. Something about...fire?
Ah yes, the Sword of Seals.

From what I've heard, it grants Roy the ability to use the power of marine mammals to smite his opponent. It's a sacred weapon passed down from the sacred Shamu clan of the southern hemisphere, said to be a bringer of much prosperity and sushi.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
And a nifty sword, I've heard. Something about...fire?
FIRE!!

Anyway...

Though Corph DID mention his resemblance to Roy from FMA, so any ideas people?
Do you mean ideas on how Roy (FE) could resemble Roy from FMA? Oh man, I haven't seen Fullmetal Alchemist in a long time, but since you kinda asked...

For those who don't know...Roy Mustang has control over heat and fire alchemy and with the snap of his fingers, he can create fire ranging from tiny flames to huge explosions. Mustang can also create different flame effects depending on which hand is used:

- Right: large inferno explosions
- Left: smaller flames, but very strong and accurate, used for pinpointing

Mustang has the ability to raise the oxygen density in an area. This causes dizziness to people affected. He can also do some weird **** with water, like separating hydrogen atoms from water molecules, creating combustible fuel that just needs a spark to blow up.

So how does this related to Roy (FE)? Hmm, unless you want Roy to have different flame effects, I'm not too sure really. I don't know much about the FMA games, but I do know that Roy Mustang is a playable fighter in Fullmetal Alchemist: Dream Carnival. It seems that Mustang can create different fiery explosions that string into combos.

D

Deleted member

@Croph

Noted.

I remember Roy Mustang being among my favorite characters in FMA, though it's been ages, and I never watched Brotherhood.

Also, what about Roy Campbell?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@ManlySpirit
Not sure how much help it will be, but here's my suggestion on Roy's moveset.

Since you want to keep the middle of the sword sweetspot, I think the tip of the sword should do more hitstun, so that Roy can get in closer while the opponent is stunned.

Or you could make the tip of the sword actually deliver negative knockback, so that the enemy gets pulled closer to Roy to hit with the sweetspot.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
Since you want to keep the middle of the sword sweetspot, I think the tip of the sword should do more hitstun, so that Roy can get in closer while the opponent is stunned.
This would need the tip of the blade to deal much more knockback.

No, just no. I've seen it in action, and it fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom