• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
A lot of new Roy supporters popping up in this thread. I like that. Once I get back on track with my Smash 4 Character Analysis topic, Roy support is going to be my top priority.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Fun Fact: The Fire Emblem fanbase's general opinion on Roy is negative.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Fun Fact: The Fire Emblem fanbase's general opinion on Roy is negative.
Nope. Its just a superhardcore fragment of the fanbase that does not like him. I am beginning to think a lot of it has come from memes that are not true (namely that IS forced Roy upon Sakurai, and that FE6 was poorly received in Japan). A lot of those bitter Roy haters were hissing when I posted those Japanese links showing how well-received FE6 was relative to the rest of the series, with even a few people outright saying they were mad about how they were lied to all these years by the "FE superhardcore".

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Nope. Its just a superhardcore fragment of the fanbase that does not like him. I am beginning to think a lot of it has come from memes that are not true (namely that IS forced Roy upon Sakurai, and that FE6 was poorly received in Japan). A lot of those bitter Roy haters were hissing when I posted those Japanese links showing how well-received FE6 was relative to the rest of the series, with even a few people outright saying they were mad about how they were lied to all these years by the "FE superhardcore".
Well, it shouldn't matter here, since this is Smash Boards. But I mean FE sites and polls. Their general opinion is bad, general by more than 70%. The rest love him. But you have to remember Sticker Star also got generally good reviews, but it's still hated. Most Roy lover are just Smash players.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well, it shouldn't matter here, since this is Smash Boards. But I mean FE sites and polls. Their general opinion is bad, general by more than 70%. The rest love him. But you have to remember Sticker Star also got generally good reviews, but it's still hated. Most Roy lover are just Smash players.
Less than 10% of Western FE fans have even played the Japan-only games, so most of them are just parroting the opinions of the "super hardcore". In Japan (which actually properly received his game), he is well liked among FE fans. I think Japan's opinion in regards to Japan-only lords matters more than the West's does, especially considering mostly only pirates have played the Japan-only games in the West, and a very small minority of the overall Western FE fanbase.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
To be honest I don't want Roy back either :/ I never found him "cool" or "awesome" in Melee. All I see is a Souless Ginger trying to be as cool as Marth when he's not. But anyways I'd rather have Chrom in instead of Roy ._.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
To be honest I don't want Roy back either :/ I never found him "cool" or "awesome" in Melee. All I see is a Souless Ginger trying to be as cool as Marth when he's not. But anyways I'd rather have Chrom in instead of Roy ._.
I wonder how many Roy naysayers would be singing a different tune about him if he was top tier in Melee, and an overpowered lord in FE6?

Personally, the only way I see Chrom getting in is at the expense of Ike.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I do want Ike to come back but I just don't want Roy.......He was never interested me most likely because he was a clone of Marth :/

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I do want Ike to come back but I just don't want Roy.......He was never interested me most likely because he was a clone of Marth :/
Roy can easily be decloned. He has canonical abilities that stand apart from what Marth and Ike can do in Smash Bros.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Less than 10% of Western FE fans have even played the Japan-only games, so most of them are just parroting the opinions of the "super hardcore". In Japan (which actually properly received his game), he is well liked among FE fans. I think Japan's opinion in regards to Japan-only lords matters more than the West's does, especially considering mostly only pirates have played the Japan-only games in the West, and a very small minority of the overall Western FE fanbase.
I know his game is well receive, but his actual character isn't. Not at least in that game. He is a terrible lord in there.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I know his game is well receive, but his actual character isn't. Not at least in that game. He is a terrible lord in there.
The West does not like weaker lords, and very few Westerners have even played FE6. In Japan, of which the mainsteam FE fanbase HAS played FE6, does like Roy.

To sum it up: The Japanese FE fanbase and Japanese Smash Bros. fanbase likes Roy.
In the West (of which the only way to play Roy's game is to either pirate it or import it): Smash Bros. fanbase likes Roy

The way the Western FE fanbase is, mostly likes lords that are overpowered.

If FE6 gets remade (which will happen if Roy returns for Smash 4), I would not be surprised if that turned Roy into an overpowered lord to cater to the Western fanbase.

Since a much greater proportion of Japanese FE fans have played FE6 than Western ones (again very few Westerns have even played FE6), it makes much more sense to look at how the Japanese FE fanbase feels about the character, as well as for other Japan-only lords.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
The West does not like weaker lords, and very few Westerners have even played FE6. In Japan, of which the mainsteam FE fanbase HAS played FE6, does like Roy.

To sum it up: The Japanese FE fanbase and Japanese Smash Bros. fanbase likes Roy.
In the West (of which the only way to play Roy's game is to either pirate it or import it): Smash Bros. fanbase likes Roy

The way the Western FE fanbase is, mostly likes lords that are overpowered.

If FE6 gets remade (which will happen if Roy returns for Smash 4), I would not be surprised if that turned Roy into an overpowered lord to cater to the Western fanbase.

Since a much greater proportion of Japanese FE fans have played FE6 than Western ones (again very few Westerns have even played FE6), it makes much more sense to look at how the Japanese FE fanbase feels about the character, as well as for other Japan-only lords.
Do you at least have some sources to look at to prove he isn't disliked in Japan? "if Roy returns for Smash 4" Why should IS allow the use of Roy instead of Chrom, or Lucina? Fire Emblem is big enough for 3 characters how ever. No way Roy has priority over Ike, Chrom, or Lucina.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Do you at least have some sources to look at to prove he isn't disliked in Japan? "if Roy returns for Smash 4" Why should IS allow the use of Roy instead of Chrom, or Lucina? Fire Emblem is big enough for 3 characters how ever. No way Roy has priority over Ike, Chrom, or Lucina.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/afej/k_tohyo/index.html

This was an official poll done by Intelligent Systems.

There was also a poll done by Nintendo Dream (the official Nintendo magazine in Japan) about popularity for the entire GBA FE trilogy in May 2005, and Roy got first place in that poll.

Those are just polls among the FE fanbase alone.

As for your assertation about Roy not getting in over Chrom and Lucina, well the problem with both of those two characrters (especially Lucina), is that aesthetically they are extremely similar to characters already on the roster, and their own native abiltiies and attributes dont differ much than Marth and Ike. Keep in mind one thing Sakurai has repeatedly stressed is having characters that stand out more and do something that has not been done before in regards to the roster.

Just because someone is the latest protagonist in a game does not automatically mean that he/she will get in. Just ask the Pikmin 3 protagonists. Sakurai himself used Olimar (who was not even a protagonist of Pikmin 3) to promote that game.

Sakurai could just simply have a Marth in his FE13 re-design (which looks similar to Lucina) and Ike with a modification of his FE10 design (which is similar to Chrom's) as a way to reference the FE13 duo.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/afej/k_tohyo/index.html

This was an official poll done by Intelligent Systems.

There was also a poll done by Nintendo Dream (the official Nintendo magazine in Japan) about popularity for the entire GBA FE trilogy in May 2005, and Roy got first place in that poll.

Those are just polls among the FE fanbase alone.

As for your assertation about Roy not getting in over Chrom and Lucina, well the problem with both of those two characrters (especially Lucina), is that aesthetically they are extremely similar to characters already on the roster, and their own native abiltiies and attributes dont differ much than Marth and Ike. Keep in mind one thing Sakurai has repeatedly stressed is having characters that stand out more and do something that has not been done before in regards to the roster.

Just because someone is the latest protagonist in a game does not automatically mean that he/she will get in. Just ask the Pikmin 3 protagonists. Sakurai himself used Olimar (who was not even a protagonist of Pikmin 3) to promote that game.

Sakurai could just simply have a Marth in his FE13 re-design (which looks similar to Lucina) and Ike with a modification of his FE10 design (which is similar to Chrom's) as a way to reference the FE13 duo.
Or Chrom and replace Ike all together. I mean IS tells Sakurai who to add, I don't see they wouldn't want to add their most successful lord in the game. And given how well-recieved FE:A was, plus Chrom being high Smash polls, I don't see him NOT getting in. Pikmin isn't like Fire Emblem at all. FE has over 13 games, while Pikmin has 3. Hell, maybe we will have the new captains will the new pikmin types (I doubt it). Olimar appears in all 3 games, stars in 2. Ike hasn't. Fire Emblem is on the same boat as Pokemon

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
IS doesn't tell Sakurai who to add, he approaches them and they make suggestions, it still all boils down to Sakurai's call. And Sakurai likes Roy. The reason Sakurai even chose Roy and Ike is because he liked how they brought something different from what already existed in the FE representation, there's no guarantee he'll find Chrom diverse enough from what already exists to include him.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I mean IS tells Sakurai who to add,
Nope.

- Marth got in through popular demand.

- Roy got in because Sakurai thought he stood out more than other possible choices for a Marth clone due to his fire sword.

-Ike got in because he was SUGGESTED by IS and Sakurai agreed with that suggestion because he thought no other character could bring a powerful, slow swordwielding style.

In the case of Roy and Ike, it was because they distinguished themselves relative to other characters.

And given how well-recieved FE:A was, plus Chrom being high Smash polls, I don't see him NOT getting in.
FE7 was just as well received as FE13 did and it did not receive a playable character in Brawl.

Secondly, you do know that Roy is even higher than Chrom is Smash Bros. fan polls, right? Like Roy is even within the Top 5.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
IS doesn't tell Sakurai who to add, he approaches them and they make suggestions, it still all boils down to Sakurai's call. And Sakurai likes Roy. The reason Sakurai even chose Roy and Ike is because he liked how they brought something different from what already existed in the FE representation, there's no guarantee he'll find Chrom diverse enough from what already exists to include him.
Yeah, so different, that Roy was a clone, right? Sakurai didn't originally want Roy in Melee though, he wanted another one (God I wish I remembered his name) But IS told him to use Roy for for promotion, and Sakurai just went for it and liked him.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, so different, that Roy was a clone, right? Sakurai didn't originally want Roy in Melee though, he wanted another one (God I wish I remembered his name) But IS told him to use Roy for for promotion, and Sakurai just went for it.
Hey, it was Sakurai's opinion, not mine, and for a clone, yes Roy would be more different than Leif or Sigurd or something. t3h ph1r3...

And I don't know where you're getting your sources, but including Roy was Sakurai's idea, not IS's. Like Chrono said, Sakurai thought he stood out more than other choices and felt Roy was also a good representation of FE as a whole. IS has never dictated which FE characters to add, the most they do is show Sakurai upcoming characters and make suggestions.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yeah, so different, that Roy was a clone, right? Sakurai didn't originally want Roy in Melee though, he wanted another one (God I wish I remembered his name) But IS told him to use Roy for for promotion, and Sakurai just went for it.
That was a lie perpetuated by the Sigurd fanbase. Roy was never forced upon Sakurai by Intelligent Systems. Sakurai said himself that putting in Roy in Melee was his idea. IS was so grateful to Sakurai for this that they even thank him in the credits to FE6. Sakurai himself is a big fan of the Fire Emblem series.

Its funny how I said a few days ago that much of the anti-Roy animus comes from lies and miconceptions that went on for years (and went unchallenged), and here right here shows that much of the reasons behind anti-Roy people is that they believe untrue things about Roy.

I really need to make a massive push about stuff like those Japanese review links (which lay for rest once and for all about FE6 being poorly received) and the Japanese fan polls. Not to mention stuff like sales data, and Sakurai's own statements.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
That was a lie perpetuated by the Sigurd fanbase. Roy was never forced upon Sakurai by Intelligent Systems. Sakurai said himself that putting in Roy in Melee was his idea. IS was so grateful to Sakurai for this that they even thank him in the credits to FE6. Sakurai himself is a big fan of the Fire Emblem series.

Its funny how I said a few days ago that much of the anti-Roy animus comes from lies and miconceptions that went on for years (and went unchallenged), and here right here shows that much of the reasons behind anti-Roy people is that they believe untrue things about Roy.

I really need to make a massive push about stuff like those Japanese review links (which lay for rest once and for all about FE6 being poorly received) and the Japanese fan polls. Not to mention stuff like sales data, and Sakurai's own statements.
Most of the Roy fans I see ignore that Ike replaced Roy. And Ike and Chrom look nothing a like. Why would most successful Fire Emblem not be represented? Because Chom has the same body as Ike? Hell, Chrom and Lucina have another upcoming game (that crossover) and they are the faces of it. I would be hypocritical to not include Chrom, but have Roy in Melee, even though they have the same moveset and starter armor color.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Most of the Roy fans I see ignore that Ike replaced Roy.
Sakurai was planning to have both Ike and Roy in Brawl. Roy was among the last two characters that failed to make it into Brawl to be dropped (the other was Mewtwo). Sakurai himself said that he had more characters planned but could not finish them due to time constraints, had Sakurai been given more time, Mewtwo and Roy (and possibly Dr. Mario and Toon Zelda) would have been in Brawl.

Secondly, its obvious as why people would compare Chrom with Ike. Both are mercenary-like lords, who wield a two-handed sword, and have the ability to do Aether and Quick Draw. Chrom is also just as muscular as Ike is.

Lastly, it looks like Roy (along with Marth and Ike) will be in SMT X FE too (simply judging from that teaser).

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Sakurai was planning to have both Ike and Roy in Brawl. Roy was among the last two characters that failed to make it into Brawl to be dropped (the other was Mewtwo). Sakurai himself said that he had more characters planned but could not finish them due to time constraints, had Sakurai been given more time, Mewtwo and Roy (and possibly Dr. Mario and Toon Zelda) would have been in Brawl.

Secondly, its obvious as why people would compare Chrom with Ike. Both are mercenary-like lords, who wield a two-handed sword, and have the ability to do Aether and Quick Draw. Chrom is also just as muscular as Ike is.

Lastly, it looks like Roy (along with Marth and Ike) will be in SMT X FE too (simply judging from that teaser).
Whose to say that Chrom won't replace Ike? But if Fire Emblem is big enough 3. So Ike might stay. Looks isn't what matters, it's about the characters. When you are talking about looks, it only matters of they are clones. The reason why the Fox clone was Falco was because Sakurai feared people would just think of Wolf as "a grey Fox" But if Chrom had an original moveset, then it wouldn't matter.

I know Roy and Marth are in the crossover, but the camera makes it so that Chrom and Lucina appear as the main ones. Roy was just a background one. It would be kinda stupid to include Roy over Chrom because Sakurai doesn't like to have 1 off characters (or characters like Roy and Tingle who appear as very small roles in other games)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Roy is in the foreground when the camera pans to him. Maybe you should watch it again.

And obviously Chrom and Lucina are going to be focused on in a trailer that was released during the height of Awakening's promotion, that hardly means they'll have a larger role than other FE characters in the actual game.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Whose to say that Chrom won't replace Ike? But if Fire Emblem is big enough 3. So Ike might stay. Looks isn't what matters, it's about the characters. When you are talking about looks, it only matters of they are clones. The reason why the Fox clone was Falco was because Sakurai feared people would just think of Wolf as "a grey Fox" But if Chrom had an original moveset, then it wouldn't matter.

I know Roy and Marth are in the crossover, but the camera makes it so that Chrom and Lucina appear as the main ones. Roy was just a background one. It would be kinda stupid to include Roy over Chrom because Sakurai doesn't like to have 1 off characters (or characters like Roy and Tingle who appear as very small roles in other games)
And in terms of characters, Chrom and Ike have similar abilities as well. That is what I mentioned in my previous post, that not only their appearances give off similar vibes, but their own abilities are also similar enough to one another.

Also, Roy was in the foreground in that trailer. The reason why it stopped on Chrom/Lucina is because they are the latest lords, nothing more.

Secondly, your comment on one-off characters... Ness, Lucas, Ice Climbers, and Sheik all say hi.

Chrom too is also a "one-off" character as of now.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Roy is in the foreground when the camera pans to him. Maybe you should watch it again.

And obviously Chrom and Lucina are going to be focused on in a trailer that was released during the height of Awakening's promotion, that hardly means they'll have a larger role than other FE characters in the actual game.
Your right, how can I be so wrong. Roy will be the star of SMTXFE, and will his game will get a remake for the 3DS. He will be a starter character for Smash 4 as well.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Your right, how can I be so wrong. Roy will be the star of SMTXFE, and will his game will get a remake for the 3DS. He will be a starter character for Smash 4 as well.
I'm glad we're in agreement. :troll:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Ikr? Every time these arguments go on, I'm always at work. :laugh: :urg:

But speaking of SMT x FE...

Omg, we know very little about the game but omg there's Roy. And his daddy. And Lilina. And all those other people in the background. I'm really excited for this game haha.

I'm hoping they'll take this opportunity to give Roy yet another badass redesign. :grin:

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
I hope he looks and sounds the same as in Melee. I don't mind clones as long as they play differently. All he needs is a better aerial game and more strength.
I wouldn't mind his FE13 look as an alternate costume, but I loved his voice in Melee.

Roy's sourspot hits are really bad in Melee, weak and have little knockback, His aerials are pretty good besides maybe his dair, but if he's in Smash 4 he will no doubt have his own set of moves.

low tier user

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't mind his FE13 look as an alternate costume, but I loved his voice in Melee.

Roy's sourspot hits are really bad in Melee, weak and have little knockback, His aerials are pretty good besides maybe his dair, but if he's in Smash 4 he will no doubt have his own set of moves.
We'll I at least hope his side b, neutral b, counter, Bair, and Dair are the same. He could be a semi clone, like Ganondorf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom