• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
My guess is that most of those people are Chrom/Lucina supporters, and rather than being realistic they try to skew the poll by putting super low chances for Roy, who they see as competition.
I doubt anybody on GameFAQs actually supports Chrom/Lucina. They just think they'll be in the game because of some dumb pattern.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I doubt anybody on GameFAQs actually supports Chrom/Lucina. They just think they'll be in the game because of some dumb pattern.

Inigo Montoya! Anywho, I've only recently unlocked Roy, and he kind of reminds me of Young Link: A clone with extra fire effects. But I think that Roy could definitely return, he WAS going to be in Brawl (supposedly, but I can't see Roy Koopa or Roy Campbell getting in) with a better moveset, just tweaking it so he's more like a Luigified clone, if I'm doing the terminology right. Since I haven't played a Fire Emblem game (YET), I can only base him off of Melee. But there's just something really cool about using him...

•Col•

Smash Champion
Dunno why you linked to that video.. For the specific Rate their Chances poll...

Want (Gamefaq only):
Lucina: 41.1%
Roy: 29.95%

Yeah there are plenty of dumb people that blindly accept that FE13 is guaranteed because of recency, but there are plenty of Chrom/Lucina supporters on other sites. I'm calling it right now, when the Rate their Chances gets to Chrom he's going to get some super unrealistic chances from Gamefaq. I'm sure he'll have a high want % as well.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Dunno why you linked to that video.
I was implying that a large number of the people who treat Chrom as a guarantee aren't legit supporters, but just bandwaggoning on him because of an alleged pattern. The video was there because I don't think those people can really be called supporters.

Not saying their aren't legit Chrom/Lucina supporters. I'm sure there are. Just that there are as many(if not more) "supporters" who are just saying one of them is a guarantee because of patterns.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Just a quick question but I remember a while back someone said something about Ike originally going to use Titiana's Axe. Does anybody have a sorce for that?
I don't think Ike was ever going to use Titiana's Axe...at least I haven't heard anything stating that...? Sakurai did mentioned something about Ike having a ranged attack like a shock wave and using an overlarge sword + slower movement. However, his B Special became Eruption...possibly being inspired from the Bolganone magic attack. Still think Eruption was initially made for Roy though.

Gamefaqs is well...Gamefaqs. Sometimes no matter how much you debunk misconceptions or present sources they just don't seem to listen. I really don't know why they spew out false information about Roy...I keep saying to myself that those Roy haters are probably just jealous that they couldn't get laid at 15. :pimp:

I'm joking, I'm joking. :laugh:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

I love these things. All that's missing in that pic is Guinevere and Wolt :troll:

In retrospect, FE6 kinda has awkward messages...? Like not only is Roy a pimp, but Roy's concept art depicts him looking a lot younger. And there are a lot of young recruits (under 16). I always thought the game was aimed towards younger players (like kids) in that case. Though now I'm not sure...

•Col•

Smash Champion
One of Roy's potential wives is his teacher.... Is there any other FE lord that does that?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, Ike can support with Titania in FE9, but IDK if there was anything romantic going on there....
Titania loves Greil, Ike's father....

So....probably not....

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Urgh, Japan! I should have known!

Anyway, I believe it's stated that Roy's teacher is in her 20s. I don't really mind the age gap, it's just that I couldn't keep a straight face when reading the beginning of Roy x Cecilia's support conversation.

I kinda hoped that Roy would be able to wed Fir. Oh well...nothing a FE6 remake couldn't fix. ;) and a bunch of other things. :<

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Quick question....

Are there any Roy supporters on GameFAQS? Or are they "silenced" too fast?

TheMasonOrder

Banned via Warnings
You can say I was a Roy supporter on GameFAQS since I had a GameFAQS account back before Awakening release. I never went back on GameFAQS, those people are egocentric and don't care want they do (same with Serenes Forest >_>).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Going to get back to this thread soon (hopefully within the next week or so). My computer for writing composition broke so I am unable to write or post any Smash Bros. related things longer than a few short paragraphs.

Anyway GameFAQs getting dumber with the Roy hate does not surprise me. There is still a lot of Roy supporters there but they are cowwed by the loudness and aggresiveness of FE13 fans.
I have some pretty ambitious plans for Roy's support. Though I have been unable to follow through on them due to being busy and the recent computer problem.

I think Olimar's confirmation for Smash 4 (and that Sakurai used Olimar to promote Pikmin 3) bodes well for characters like Ike, Lucario, Lucas, and of course Roy. It shows that Sakurai does not use recency as the largest factor for chacter inclusion for series with cycling "faces" like many Smash fans think (especially over at GameFAQs). Olimar has not been the main hero of a Pikmin game in nine years, yet Sakurai still brought him back.

We will need to though have to take our fight to GameFAQs some time, and when we do our (ph1r3) arrows will blot out the dumb!

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
We will need to though have to take our fight to GameFAQs some time, and when we do our (ph1r3) arrows will blot out the dumb!
That actually sounds pretty fun. Kind of reminds me of Fire Emblem too. Count me in, if I have survived this long with the amount of Roy haters on Youtube and some on here(though not so much) I'd probably be able to help with GameFAQ's some.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Really hoping Roy makes it into SSB4, don't know why many people give him low chances just because he was a clone in Melee, he can be decloned you know >_>

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
^ I love your avatar. And I'm glad to see new supporters(?). :grin:

If Roy does get in, I'm hoping that his Awakening design sneaks in somehow (alt costume, a design loosely based on Awakening/FE6, etc).

Anyway...

From my experience, there are Roy supporters on Gamefaqs but they're either too quiet/passive when they are Roy detractors there. Especially when a lot of the time threads pertaining to Roy (or FE in general) draw in a lot of people who put down Roy with absurd reasons. For example, some that I've seen pop up a lot:

"Roy is irrelevant and old News!"
"Roy was just cheap advertisement for FE6!"
"Roy's so bland! He has no personality!"
"Roy's the worst Lord! He sucks in Melee! He doesn't deserve to be in!"

It's fine if you don't support a character, but using absurd reasons as evidence that a character won't get in is upsetting. As you can see, I can't stand this negativity, not only towards Roy but towards any legitimate newcomer. I'm glad people here [SWF] for the most part are more educated...or at least don't underrate Roy's chances.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Shulk could replace Ike in similar fighting style. Leaving a slot open for another Fire Emblem warrior for either Chrom or Roy. And if it came to those choices, Roy is the more flavorful pick for me.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Shulk could replace Ike in similar fighting style. Leaving a slot open for another Fire Emblem warrior for either Chrom or Roy. And if it came to those choices, Roy is the more flavorful pick for me.
I think Marth, Ike and Roy could work out in the end I can see Sakurai picking Roy over Chrom. If anything Olimar's reveal shows that being recent isn't a huge deciding factor.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Shulk seems more unlikely to me than Ike tbh.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Shulk replacing Ike would be a waste of Shulk's potential.

Plus I doubt a character would replace one from a different series.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Replace in terms of a sword character with strong and long-ranged melee attacks.
Yeah, it could work... but Shulk is capable of so much more than that, it would just seem extremely lazy and not something Sakurai would do. If any character were to replace Ike with Ike's moveset, seems like it would probably be another FE character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ike will most likely get in before Roy. Hopefully they'll replace his Neutral B with something if they also bring Roy back.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Honestly, I hope both Roy and Ike get new neutral specials. They're fun and unique and all, but they're so pitifully useless compared to your average special.

Y'know, except against hilariously dumb AIs.

I really don't think giving them a projectile is that broken seeming. It could even function very similarly to Roy's original neutral special, just sending out a wave of fire upon release.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
How would you envision Shulk in terms of fighting style?
Not as an exact clone of Ike... I can imagine him with a few strong, long-range melee attacks, but they wouldn't be identical to Ike's if even similar, so he wouldn't really "replace" a character who doesn't function in the exact same way. One character "replacing" another is like what Toon Link did to Young Link, not one character who has a few similarities to another but ultimately doesn't play the same. I'm not sure what you had in mind for Shulk "replacing" Ike, but unless Shulk pretty much took Ike's moveset it wouldn't really be replacing. And like I said, I very much doubt he'd do that.

Sorry for the late reply. Embarrass

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Y'know, Smash does give some characters different personas than what's seen in their source games. They can easily do whatever they want with Roy's character. Really, Roy can become anything...anything...anything...

ib4he'sboring

To which Sakurai's mentality would probably be something like...

Sakurai: We wanted to give the players a more rich and familiar experience with the fighters. So, we've given some of the characters personalities that is prominent in their games. As you can see, we've made Roy dull and boring! *laughs*

To further emphasize, Roy is given a monotone voice. Sound effects such as pain grunts, like "ouch!", and phrases, like battle cries, all sound monotonous. For example, a victory should be a happy and triumphant moment. However, during Roy's victory animation, he says generic lines, all in a lifeless voice. As such, you cannot tell if he's really happy or just bored!

Roy's appearance has changed as well. His facial expression is an emotionless, straight look that is stays throughout the whole game. Even when hurt or taunting, Roy still keeps an emotionless expression. Roy also has more "droopy" looking eyes, and doesn't smile, not even once.

To get an example of the expression:

However, with more "tired" or "droopy" looking eyes.

Roy also has a costume that reflects in his character very well:

Don't you think Roy looks ready to conquer all of Elibe and turn it into a dull, boring corporate city? *laughs*

We've felt that if we gave Roy a spunky personality (due to his child-like looks), or gave him a more hot-headed personality, it wouldn't have been be a good representation for Roy. We feel that a dull personality creates a more intriguing experience, don't you think so as well?

In other words, we made Roy essentially a deadpan. *laughs*

Iwata: Please understand.

Ironically, being a deadpan might make Roy stand out among the rest of the cast, if it's that extreme, though.

Idk...boredom...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hey just popping in to say Roy has my full support. I read through most the thread and I've got to say; you've managed to convert me. Roy's now in my top five most wanted characters.

Hank Hill

Smash Apprentice
I would love for Roy to return alongside Mewtwo in Super Smash Bros 4!

The only thing I would hate though is if he is still a clone though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom