• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Hey guys; Matt Bozon tweeted on August 23rd how Shantae was created not in 2002, but 1994. (you might say that her first significant moment was in 2002 with her first game, but the fact she was created in 1994 shows she has even more history that we might all think). Basically, this piece of info is HIGHLY significant in a way. Getting that info out there might help her chances (If I could link the tweet, I would, but I don't know how to do it).
Fun fact! Not only did Erin Bozon create Shantae, she also animated the first few seasons of Futarama.

There was also many ideas tossed around between Erin and Matt. Shantae was originally going to be spelled Chantae, and Shantae was originally going to use her dances to charm animals and monsters to do her bidding, rather than transform into them.

Last edited:

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
Anyone know where to watch the Nindies@Night? Like a Twitch link or Youtube link?

Last edited:

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Well, I wasn't expecting this at all. That Shovel Knight amiibo looks pretty baller. I might buy it if it's usable in Mario Maker.

Also, I like how Nintendo finally managed to not tread on any leak-related landmines while still promoting a character. On the one hand many would agree that the Shovelmiibo not being Smash-related is somewhat damning, but on the other hand you know Shovel Knight's ballot votes are going to go up like a nuclear mushroom cloud.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Well, I wasn't expecting this at all. That Shovel Knight amiibo looks pretty baller. I might buy it if it's usable in Mario Maker.

Also, I like how Nintendo finally managed to not tread on any leak-related landmines while still promoting a character. On the one hand many would agree that the Shovelmiibo not being Smash-related is somewhat damning, but on the other hand you know Shovel Knight's ballot votes are going to go up like a nuclear mushroom cloud.
I'm sure the Shovel Knight amiibo will have average functions for games like Hyrule Warriors and Mario Party 10, and most likely be usuable in other Yacht Club games make in the future for Nintendo.

I'd totally buy one if there was a Shovel Knight costume for Half-Genie Hero!

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I definitely find the presence of that amiibo interesting... I of course am not laying down any cards until we get more information.

Everyone remember the ESRB leak? Though that was real in game screenshots, at the time, no one knew that. Many trashed that leak, and tried greatly to debunk it, and INSISTED that it was fake...

When you count your chickens before they hatch, you'll only get disappointed. Therefore, I myself am not jumping on the <character> is not in the game train. The ballot is no where near over, and we can't see into the future... We haven't had an official direct in regards to DLC in a while.. (Not counting the new mii wave we got... that was done very quietly and very suspiciously...)

How do we actually "know" if Shovel Knight isn't going to be in the game or not? The answer is of course, we don't.

They could be planning anything. If Shovel Knight gets in? Alright. We are all still thinking this is just about the character. About their standings, and about their worth... at this point, it's all about fan service. Shovel Knight has a large following... and, Shantae does too :). A lot of the big candidates do.

This is a big dice roll... and we have no clue on who will end up on top, and who will end up at the bottom. Whatever the case, we just have to keep pushing, and keep dancing through the danger keep the campaign strong.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
lol how is SK able to move like that with all that armor!?
lol

As a little, somewhat unrelated fun-fact, real knights were actually VERY athletic, and very strong. Many were often prone to showing off their strength (like performing handstands in full armor, for example..)... Many of them were often short as well! XD

Last edited:

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
lol

As a little, somewhat unrelated fun-fact, real knights were actually VERY athletic, and very strong. Many were often prone to showing off their strength (like performing handstands in full armor, for example..)... Many of them were often short as well! XD
Huh, the more you know.

13AM games has announced that there is going to be more content for Runbow.

There is hope.
Imagining her introduction have her lighthouse shine on her in the background for a grand entrance.

Wait does that lighthouse even work?

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Where do I have to go to see the Nindies presentation?
At this point, unless someone can correct me, it doesn't sound like anyone official will be broadcasting anything for now. Unless they have yet to announce a stream (which would be kind of weird with the event happening in the next few hours), we might have to rely on attenting fans passing along information. Which, out of all the Twitch streamers and Youtubers I follow, none are at this event to my knowledge.

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
At this point, unless someone can correct me, it doesn't sound like anyone official will be broadcasting anything for now. Unless they have yet to announce a stream (which would be kind of weird with the event happening in the next few hours), we might have to rely on attenting fans passing along information. Which, out of all the Twitch streamers and Youtubers I follow, none are at this event to my knowledge.
If you want to watch the Yacht Club Games stream its at 8pm PST & 11pm EST.
http://www.twitch.tv/yachtclubgames

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
After Run Run Bodywash, all we need is Duane and Brando to do a rap based on the original GBC Shantae.

Or Dan Bull.

Last edited:

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
Apparently sever is down for maintenance. Guys, this could be Shantae. I highly doubt this update will contain nothing. We could finally get Shantae playable after so long of waiting. Don't get your hopes up but at the same time... GET HYPE! THIS COULD FINALLY BE IT! With the whole indie thing going on the timing couldn't be more perfect! #Shantaeforsmash

Last edited:

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
Lifestyle and power come at no cost for Shantae! She would be a great DLC character for The super smash bros battlefield! I wish good luck to all those who support Shantae, and I want her to win the VOTE!!!

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
Apparently sever is down for maintenance. Guys, this could be Shantae. I highly doubt this update will contain nothing. We could finally get Shantae playable after so long of waiting. Don't get your hopes up but at the same time... GET HYPE! THIS COULD FINALLY BE IT! With the whole indie thing going on the timing couldn't be more perfect! #Shantaeforsmash
Oh god please don't play with my heart right now...

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
If that's actually going to happen, I may as well run around in circles. :4kirby:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Okay let's talk about something that doesn't play with my heart strings.

Someone on reddit just posted a very fun topic: "So your favorite character gets in... Are they any good?"

How do you guys think Shantae would stack up if she made it into Smash? Here are my thoughts, which I just posted over there:

Shantae's hair whipping moves (probably ftilt, dtilt, and fair) would give her some excellent pokes, since they'd be fast with great range and disjointed hitboxes (low damage and knockback to compensate). She'd probably also have decent mobility, an okay projectile, some quick, safe moves, and some decent follow ups off of a grab. All of this would combine to give her an excellent neutral game. However she would be fairly light herself and wouldn't have great kill options.

I imagine she'd settle in at the low end of high tier, or possibly high end of middle tier.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'm sorry, can someone tell me just what's going on here? (I am SO in the dark right now...:confused:)

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Are you referring to Monday? If so, that is when the maintenance is. However, I think we'll get some sort of news in advance on who we might see in Smash (either today or tomorrow). That is, if the maintenance is intended to add a new character. :3

Last edited:

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice

Someone on reddit just posted a very fun topic: "So your favorite character gets in... Are they any good?"

How do you guys think Shantae would stack up if she made it into Smash? Here are my thoughts, which I just posted over there:

Shantae's hair whipping moves (probably ftilt, dtilt, and fair) would give her some excellent pokes, since they'd be fast with great range and disjointed hitboxes (low damage and knockback to compensate). She'd probably also have decent mobility, an okay projectile, some quick, safe moves, and some decent follow ups off of a grab. All of this would combine to give her an excellent neutral game. However she would be fairly light herself and wouldn't have great kill options.

I imagine she'd settle in at the low end of high tier, or possibly high end of middle tier.
The main thing I hope for is that she's on the faster side. Other than that I don't know how she would play. Her moveset potential is endless. I'm sure Sakurai would put a bunch of thought and creativity into her moveset. She would definitely be B+ worthy.

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
I hope that Shantae gets in for the DLC list on super smash bros! If she did, one of my top 5 characters would finally make it to become an official fighter! I really am bitting my nails, I truely have the morale to support Shantae! Please keep me updated @ BoltDragon BoltDragon . I really could use the support, and Shantae is a favorite fighter of mine!

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7

I'd be okay if she was low-tier. I always make make it a goal to master whoever I liked as a character even if they are considered bad. But I have a feeling with her potential moveset she would at least between mid-high tier.

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
She could be bottom tier and I'd still main her. xD

But man guys I want to be excited due to the last few posts but I don't want to be let down. Trying to stay grounded here

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
Are you referring to Monday? If so, that is when the maintenance is. However, I think we'll get some sort of news in advance on who we might see in Smash (either today or tomorrow). That is, if the maintenance is intended to add a new character. :3
Where did you two get that news from ? Seriously I am LOST right now >.>

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
I am confused. But besides the point, go Shantae!!! I feel obliged to giving you a serious chance of winning for the character DLC vote. Hopefully the matiencence is Shantae! I really do enjoy pirates curse after all. Keep me updated!

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Where did you two get that news from ? Seriously I am LOST right now >.>
Here's an image of what I was asking about:

Maintenance is going on in both versions of Smash. Normally, this happens in preparation of a character of the sorts, so this could be foreshadowing something.

Last edited:

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice

Maintenance is going on in both versions of Smash. Normally, this happens in preparation of a character of the sorts, so this could be foreshadowing something.
Oh God, I'm scared... o-o;

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327

Cool and no offense to the both of you but maybe next time don't come out of the blue posting stuff like that without giving some info first >.>

Last edited:

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
Anybody got a link to a stream showing this stuff off?

I'm at the yacht club games twitch page but nothing seems to be coming up yet

Top Bottom