• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Zapster

Smash Apprentice
Huh, I'm quite surprise to see another detractor show up on this thread at this point in time.

But for everyone that supports the character of the thread, just calmly avoid being rude back to the members as that doesn't help anything and just causes trouble for the thread. But, @ Zapster Zapster , glad that you have your reasons of disapproving the idea of Shantae as a fighter, but please, try to remind civil and avoid censor dodging like you have done earlier. Or I will have to have the mods handle that if that continues.
Lolz, okay I'm sorry everyone. It was just too juicy to resist trolling with Jynx.

FYI, I think Shantae would be fine as a DLC character. She does have a history and creative looking games. I think she dresses like a Harlem but I guess she's nothing compared to Bayonetta.

So real question, since Theres no transformations this time around, do you think she would use temporary transformation for specials like for her recovery?

And do you think being Indie decreases her chances? Of course if she has enough support it won't matter but my opinion of SAKURAI is that he's very picky and mays resist indie characters just because he may not be able to fully manage and dictate their play style and representation.

I think that's his downfall at least. Maybe Smash wouldn't be so grueling if he didn't manhandle every aspect and stuck to creating and balancing afterwards.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Guess I'll bite...

I think she dresses like a Harlem but I guess she's nothing compared to Bayonetta.
She's barely less-dressed than Jasmine from Disney's Aladdin. Samus has been doing fanservice throughout her whole existance as a character.

They're video game characters. But for the record and for the sake of fairness, I will say Bayonetta is too adult to work in Smash.

And do you think being Indie decreases her chances? Of course if she has enough support it won't matter but my opinion of SAKURAI is that he's very picky and mays resist indie characters just because he may not be able to fully manage and dictate their play style and representation.
Considering several things he's done I don't hold this same view of Sakurai at all. It's disputable whether or not Shantae is "indie" anyway. But in spite of that, if she's popular enough, that's not going to prevent her from being considered. If anything, a popular "indie" character might have better chance than a major third-party character, as they have less to worry about when it comes to licensing the IP.

It'd be way easier to get the cooperation of WayForward compared to trying to get Banjo-Kazooie by attempting to work with Microsoft, a massive rival in the industry, and Rare, a studio that willfully abandoned Nintendo when they were a valuable asset.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Shantae isn't like Samus... She runs around, whips people with her hair *oh creative!* while her boobs flop around. At least Samus fights like a boss and doesn't sexualize herself for popularity... Except for Other M. That was a crap show.

I mean, why not just support a more likely candidate like the infamous Jynx! The ice/psychic type genie looking pokemon! Lol

:124::124:
Lolz, okay I'm sorry everyone. It was just too juicy to resist trolling with Jynx.

FYI, I think Shantae would be fine as a DLC character. She does have a history and creative looking games. I think she dresses like a Harlem but I guess she's nothing compared to Bayonetta.

So real question, since Theres no transformations this time around, do you think she would use temporary transformation for specials like for her recovery?

I think that's his downfall at least. Maybe Smash wouldn't be so grueling if he didn't manhandle every aspect and stuck to creating and balancing afterwards.
Well, not to really judge your reasoning for distasting Shantae for her appearece but keep in mind it's entirely a part of her character and background, as a "genie" and her ethenics being from a land of arab like ultures, thoses that have "belly dancers" as a tradition.

And really, with a game that has half naked Shulk and half Naked Zero Suit Samus, I doubt something like appearances from Shantae figure would mean much by comparison, as well, she's has much more character that doesn't center around her appearance.

But as for her chances, I really don't have the best knowlegde wether or not she will make it in Smash as DLC or as a newcomer in Smash 5 or so, but when it comes down to all the support she's gain all this time of speculation for her inclusion in Smash, I feel like she could make it in. I just don't know if now, but at some point as long as the fans keeps supporting her as a fighter.

And well, moveset, as long as you played the games, or look into Let's Plays of her games, you'll see she has a plenitude of options as a moveset, each game alone carries her with unique ideas as well.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion

I think she will most likely have temporary transformations, for example, she may quickly turn into her Harpy form and fly upwards for her Up+B.

I'm not fully sure that "Indie" decreases her chances, as Nintendo is trying to establish a better relationship with Indie devs, and I'm sure that they would want a character to promote their digital services, as Wayforward's titles are usually the best selling and highest rated original games to come out of them (Heck, how many times has Pirate's Curse reached the best sellers list, and name another time a DSiWare game had multi-issue coverage in Nintendo Power, or heck, an eShop game making the cover).

Believe it or not: Nintendo has acknowledged Shantae via a game before, as she had somewhat of a cameo in WarioWare DIY, with a game called Shantae NAB!, made by Matt Bozon himself.

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413

If you're interested I have help create a moveset for her on my DeviantArt page here: http://twinkledoodle.deviantart.com/art/Shantae-s-Moveset-553081363

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Simple matter of ease of negotiation. This applies for for Shovel Knight than our Genie gal but it still applies. Shantae hasn't had many/any (I keep getting conflicting reports) Japanese releases so Wayforward doesn't have that strong a Japanese base and I'm not sure they'll have dedicated team memebers dealing with Japanese stuff.

Shovel Knight are a small indie dev so any problems WF have will be multiplied for them.

Begs the question, who'd pay for translators? The indies or Nintendo?

I'd love to be wrong though.
Nintendo may be rooted in Japan but they are an international company with a huge American branch. The last thing I expect to be an issue is language barriers or paying for the services of a translator.

The fact that Shantae is from an indie company that has so much to gain from her inclusion in Smash will probably make negotiation a lot easier. An indie developer like WayForward has a massive amount to gain from an inclusion in Smash, so it is very much in their best interests to be very agreeable to whatever terms Nintendo proposes. Compare that with Sonic, Ryu, Snake, etc: those big name characters are already famous enough that the exposure of appearing in Smash probably won't matter a lot for them, so it makes more sense for their parent companies to drive a harder bargain.

I do like Shovel Knight but it would be really bad for us if this is true. If Shovel Knight gets in, I think for most people, that will fill the indie quota, and Shantae's current level of support will become much harder to sustain. Shovel Knight had the advantage of having a massive surge of popularity right at the beginning of the ballot, so if Nintendo picked a character or two from the preliminary results, then Shovel Knight has a pretty decent chance of being one of them.

What are our thoughts on Nintendo possibly doing an Indie Pack and actually including both characters as fighters, and maybe that being a surprise announcement for Nindies@Night/PAX? People have suggested this, and my first assumption was that the idea of two indie fighters was completely out of the question. But considering Nintendo wants to improve relations with indie developers, should it be written off that easily?
If it turns out that Shovel Knight is coming, then I'd say this is our best hope. Combine the Shovel Knight rumors with the suggestive tweet by Professor Layton's voice actor, and the fishiness of Shantae's absence from Runbow, and it's not unreasonable to think there could be an indie 3-pack on the way. That's being very optimistic so I don't recommend getting your hopes up. However that's certainly what I'm going to be crossing my fingers for.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Weird thought, if Sahantae was a Mii costume (gets torn to pieces, repawns) what class would she be? Brawler, Sword Fighter or gunner?

The lazy route would be Gunner with Risky's pistol.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Weird thought, if Sahantae was a Mii costume (gets torn to pieces, repawns) what class would she be? Brawler, Sword Fighter or gunner?

The lazy route would be Gunner with Risky's pistol.
A Mii Character. With a full costume to look just like her and sound like her in 3D. With her own moveset. And her own spot on the character screen. ;_;

But seriously though, I'm thinking Gunner.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I'm really hoping a release date for Half-Genie Hero happens tomorrow...

And a new "Nindies@Home" demo program... I can only replay the original and Pirate's Curse so many times!

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
So I come in to find all of these rumors of shovel knight getting into smash. I'm honestly taking this rumor with a grain of salt. It maybe true or maybe false, but for now I'm just gonna sit and wait for PAX to come around.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
So I come in to find all of these rumors of shovel knight getting into smash. I'm honestly taking this rumor with a grain of salt. It maybe true or maybe false, but for now I'm just gonna sit and wait for PAX to come around.
Those rumors don't seem to hold much water, in my opinion.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Those rumors don't seem to hold much water, in my opinion.
Well for now I'm gonna sit and wait to see what happens because the same guy from yesterday went to question Yacht Club Games about the rumors and they seem to be dodging questions so I don't know.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Well for now I'm gonna sit and wait to see what happens because the same guy from yesterday went to question Yacht Club Games about the rumors and they seem to be dodging questions so I don't know.
Tamaki could be messing with us, y'know.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It could be like Ubisoft and Omni's Rayman in that they're riding the hype out as long as possible.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
This.

This is why I continue to love Wayforward.

Brand new from Planet City Robotics: The "PWagonOfficer" Android unit.

"It's more human than human."

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Rayman's twitter is teasing something.

Yacht Club is teasing something.

Wayforward is coming to Nindies@Night and PAX.

Nintendo will be making new announcements at Nindies@Night.

I AM SWEATING BUCKETS

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Hello, voters. Look at your voted character, then back to me, then back to your voted character, then back to me.
Sadly, he or she is not me. But if they stopped being them and took some belly dancing lessons they could act like me.
Look down, back up. Where are you? We're on Risky's boat! With the character your character could be like!
What's in your hand? Back to me. It's your ballot! With your vote for your character! Look again, you've now voted for me.
Anything is possible when you're a magical half-genie. I've turned into a monkey.
[brief whistling from Burning Town]

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Heh, been awhile since I've been here, as I've been configuring some stuff related to a new temporary pc I've been working with..

Anywho, glad to see everyone has been holding up. If and when Shantae gets in, I'm probably going to go ballistic... XD

Everyone keep up the good work ^_^

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hello, voters. Look at your voted character, then back to me, then back to your voted character, then back to me.
Sadly, he or she is not me. But if they stopped being them and took some belly dancing lessons they could act like me.
Look down, back up. Where are you? We're on Risky's boat! With the character your character could be like!
What's in your hand? Back to me. It's your ballot! With your vote for your character! Look again, you've now voted for me.
Anything is possible when you're a magical half-genie. I've turned into a monkey.
[brief whistling from Burning Town]
:awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.............I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!

GUYS

THEY KNOW
THE SHANTAE MEMENING HAS BEGUN
No freaking way, really?!:bluejump: I don't suppose anyone's retweeted the video to Cristina Vee, BTW? Hey, should we also retweet this to NoA?

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well guys; New avatar. Anime has recently interested me, and the hype in the K. Rool thread over that photo (even if its somewhat minor) encouraged me to do so. :3

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Well guys; New avatar. Anime has recently interested me, and the hype in the K. Rool thread over that photo (even if its somewhat minor) encouraged me to do so. :3
Pirate theme works here too. Come to think of it, wouldn't it be great if Nintendo did a pirate-themed DLC pack? K. Rool, Shantae, and Ridley those are the only two I can think of.

What anime is that from out of curiosity? I've been on an anime kick during what little free time I have these days, and I'm looking for another good one.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Pirate theme works here too. Come to think of it, wouldn't it be great if Nintendo did a pirate-themed DLC pack? K. Rool, Shantae, and Ridley those are the only two I can think of.

What anime is that from out of curiosity? I've been on an anime kick during what little free time I have these days, and I'm looking for another good one.
Space Pirates! :3 (It comes from Kin-iro Mosaic. The character depicted is Karen, who is a British foreign exchange student and one of the 5 main characters in the anime).

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I was fooling around on Photoshop and made a few Shantae alt colors based on some Smash Girls.

Peach

Zelda

Zero Suit Samus
Sorry the quality isn't the best, but you guys get the idea.

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
I was fooling around on Photoshop and made a few Shantae alt colors based on some Smash Girls.

Peach

Zelda

Zero Suit Samus
Sorry the quality isn't the best, but you guys get the idea.
That blond with the blue doe :-)

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I'm surprised the "tantalizing" (if you want to call it that) nature of Shantae's design is still being brought up considering Swimsuit Shulk and Zero Suit Samus. Lewd jokes aside I think that's just one part of what's so appealing about her as a character.

Honestly, denizens of Scuttle Town, I get so worked up over K. Rool and posting in that thread that I often forget I voted for Shantae (I voted for Ridley as well. Ridley and Shantae once, K. Rool twice (after the Mii Costume debacle). You'd think I'd participate in a thread for a character I actually voted for and still has a chance.

I'll always be a Kutthroat but I should also hang out in here too, you guys are a good bunch.

Edit: Oh look, my electric bill is 80 bucks this month instead of 120 like last month. What to do with that 40 extra dollars?

Perhaps Pirate's Curse on 3DS?

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
Rayman's twitter is teasing something.

Yacht Club is teasing something.

Wayforward is coming to Nindies@Night and PAX.

Nintendo will be making new announcements at Nindies@Night.

I AM SWEATING BUCKETS
Oh god tomorrow is going to be one of those I video game news days where now I am scared/extremely curious what's going to happen...if I'm correct the event is at 8 but I'm in Oakland what time does it start for my time zone ?

Last edited:

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
Oh god tomorrow is going to be one of those I video game news days where now I am scared/extremely curious what's going to happen...if I'm correct the event is at 8 but I'm in Oakland what time does it start for my time zone ?
Seeing as Pax Prime is in Seattle, safe bet it's 8pm Pacific TIme

Top Bottom