• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Speaking of stuff.

I like how the Skylanders creators are working with Nintendo and making two hybrid(make that 4 for their Dark version) Figurines of Bowser and Donkey Kong. That Dark starter pack for Superchargers is going to be the first time I get into the series and I get an extra function for the DK as an Amiibo :D

On to Shantae: Just voted about 20 times today for Shantae. I am going to keep voting 20 times daily until October.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Don't spam vote. That may actually hurt us, then help us.
Don't worry, I only use the name Shantae for character vote. I change the gender of the person voting every 2 votes and give a different reason everytime so no worries about spamming.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry, I only use the name Shantae for character vote. I change the gender of the person voting every 2 votes and give a different reason everytime so no worries about spamming.
It's reason to worry because you're posting it from the same IP address. And I don't mean your router giving you a different IP every time you connect to it, I mean the general IP that your ISP provides so you can actually use the internet. Yes Nintendo does actually check for this, they know when someone is spamming votes and they know not to count the spam. So please don't.

I'm not sure how exactly it works, but I think they only count either the first or the last vote you make. So spam-voting is literally pointless.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
It's reason to worry because you're posting it from the same IP address. And I don't mean your router giving you a different IP every time you connect to it, I mean the general IP that your ISP provides so you can actually use the internet. Yes Nintendo does actually check for this, they know when someone is spamming votes and they know not to count the spam. So please don't.

I'm not sure how exactly it works, but I think they only count either the first or the last vote you make. So spam-voting is literally pointless.
Hence why spamming is bad in the first place. I can understand the want for these characters, but it should be fair for a reason.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
I saw this on reddit the other day: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3e4im4/who_do_you_think_the_top_4_smash_ballot/

In that post he links to this "ultimate smash poll" with more than 2000 votes. In the comments, the creator of the poll states that it actually has over 50,000. That would make it by far the largest collection of data on the subject I have ever seen. According to those results, Shantae is doing pretty badly - 36th overall, and not even top 10 for third party characters. Behind Crash Bandicoot even.

What are your guys' thoughts on this? Are we really doing that badly?

EDIT: I looked more closely and the reader's digest version is that this poll (or more accurately, aggregate poll) is complete garbage. It has a ton of problems, and can be considered pretty much invalid. My bad for raising a false alarm. I was caught pretty off guard there myself. I should have done my homework before bringing it up here. On the other hand, it is a potentially dangerous piece of misinformation that we should be aware of as Shantae campaingers, so maybe it's good if it gets talked about here

Last edited:

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
I saw this on reddit the other day: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3e4im4/who_do_you_think_the_top_4_smash_ballot/

In that post he links to this "ultimate smash poll" with more than 2000 votes. In the comments, the creator of the poll states that it actually has over 50,000. That would make it by far the largest collection of data on the subject I have ever seen. According to those results, Shantae is doing pretty badly - 36th overall, and not even top 10 for third party characters. Behind Crash Bandicoot even.

What are your guys' thoughts on this? Are we really doing that badly?
This kinda makes me want to give up to be honest.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
This kinda makes me want to give up to be honest.
lol well fear not. I looked again more closely at where he is getting those numbers, and I feel way better now. To say they are total bull**** is only slightly overstating it. Those "global" poll results are riddled with huge flaws. If anyone is interested in the gory details I can elaborate.

Now my only concern about that poll is that it is spreading misinformation that could be harmful to Shantae. If people start referencing that as definitive in any way, then it could hurt Shantae's stock.

EDIT: Sorry for raising a false alarm. I was caught pretty off guard there myself. I should have done my homework before bringing it up here. On the other hand, it is a potentially dangerous piece of misinformation that we should be aware of as Shantae campaingers, so maybe it's good if it gets talked about here.

Last edited:

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
lol well fear not. I looked again more closely at where he is getting those numbers, and I feel way better now. To say they are total bull**** is only slightly overstating it. Those "global" poll results are riddled with huge flaws. If anyone is interested in the gory details I can elaborate.

Now my only concern about that poll is that it is spreading misinformation that could be harmful to Shantae. If people start referencing that as definitive in any way, then it could hurt Shantae's stock.

EDIT: Sorry for raising a false alarm. I was caught pretty off guard there myself. I should have done my homework before bringing it up here. On the other hand, it is a potentially dangerous piece of misinformation that we should be aware of as Shantae campaingers, so maybe it's good if it gets talked about here.
For real its bs? I hope so bad you are right like omg lol. Also i am so interested in the gory details. I'm almost positive each and every one of us are interested.

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413

Yes do share. I never put much stock into these "polls" anyways lol.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Yeah I don't mind explaining in more detail. In fact if that "ultimate smash poll" rears its ugly head somewhere else, the more people who can explain what's wrong with it, the better (especially for us). I am also posting the body of this analysis on reddit to hopefully minimize any skewed impressions it causes there.

Here is the "ultimate smash poll" again: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469. It came from this tumblr: http://ssb4dojo.com/. This "ultimate smash poll" is not a poll itself, but rather an aggregation of several different past polls that have been done on DLC characters. He obtained his "global" poll results in the following way. He took all Japanese polls he had (just two), combined them directly, and then found the percentage of the total votes that each character got. He did the same thing for all of his "USA/Euro" polls. Then he weighted the Japanese percentages by 1/3, the USA/Euro percentages by 2/3, and then combined these. He then dropped characters that didn't show up on enough polls on the USA/Euro side.

Here is the math for K. Rool as an example. Across all US/Euro polls, he got 2949 votes, which accounted for 6.91% of the votes. Across both Japanese polls, he got 30 votes, which accounted for 3.21% of the votes. 6.91(2/3) + 3.21(1/3) = 5.677%. His number is slightly higher, because the dropped characters inflate everyone else's percentages slightly.

The first and probably biggest problem is that the Japanese results are heavily over-weighted. If you look at the two Japanese polls he included, they are outdated (one is from February, before the announcement of the ballot) and minuscule compared to the others. Thus a tiny number of questionable results are being given a huge influence in the global results he lists.

If you look at his NA/EU results, two polls there are by far the largest and dominate the results, and the data from both is old. One of them in particular (the larger of the two I think) is from before the ballot was announced, and the results look very different from later polls. For example, Shovel Knight doesn't show up at all and Ice Climbers are number 1, even though they aren't even top 5 on any other USA/Euro poll.

In summary, four polls, all of which are outdated, and two of which are tiny, dominate the results. These problems result in the "global" data he compiles being highly distorted, and it shows in the results. Ice Climbers have more than double the votes of Shovel Knight? That seems fishy to say the least.

There are other issues too. Some of the included polls were protected against vote spamming, others were not. There is undoubtedly some degree of cross contamination between polls (in other words if you saw and voted in every poll, then all 8 of your votes counted). Finally there have been more online polls than are included on this list, so it leaves out some potentially significant results.

In conclusion, looking at the individual polls and paying attention to when they are dated will give you some sense of who the popular characters are, but looking at the “global” results as presented there is extremely misleading. Notice that in the more recent NA/EU polls Shantae does very well. This is consistent with the observation that she has risen hugely in popularity and prominence in the months following the opening of the poll. Almost every single video about DLC candidates on YouTube talks about her. We have no good data on Japan whatsoever. The polls he included are interesting to read and not worthless when you take them for what they are, but they don't tell us a lot about what Japanese gamers are voting for right now.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608

Yeah, it's not really all accurate when most of the polls were done before the ballot was announced.

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Here's a Bikini Day pic I made this evening. Had lots of fun with it! Though I'm not used to drawing behind views like this.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
How odd. Are you on mobile or something? You sure you don't see this under your comment box?

upload_2015-7-23_22-49-8.png

Maybe yours is under "More Options" or something...

Oh, nvm, I know why, you just got your 10 post. You can only get it after 10 posts.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I tried that button and it didn't work. And no it still isn't there. Guess I'll have to wait. Sorry if I caused any trouble.
It's fine, I believe there is a post limit on this site before you can use all of it's functionalities, so people that just join doesn't just spam images or something. Sorry I couldn't remember, it's been a year since I had to deal with that issue.

But if theirs one more thing you could try, just post the link of the image by copying it in your comment box, like this.

http://pre07.deviantart.net/516f/th..._capcom__shantae_by_maxgomora1247-d72xgl6.png

I hope that can help you at least...

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
It's fine, I believe there is a post limit on this site before you can use all of it's functionalities, so people that just join doesn't just spam images or something. Sorry I couldn't remember, it's been a year since I had to deal with that issue.

But if theirs one more thing you could try, just post the link of the image by copying it in your comment box, like this.

http://pre07.deviantart.net/516f/th..._capcom__shantae_by_maxgomora1247-d72xgl6.png

I hope that can help you at least...
Like this? http://twinkledoodle.deviantart.com/art/Bikini-Day-Shantae-548508453?ga_submit_new=10%3A1437710592

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Yeah, I can see it like that. It's nice! But now I'm curious, if it's from DA, did you take the link from that page or did you link it like from the download tab? Using that link from clicking the download tab on DA then using the tab here;

View attachment 63413

And it should show up that way.
Nope. still didn't work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom