• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if you guys know but SGDQ is gonna be speedrunning Shantae and the Pirates Curse & Mighty Switch Force! 2 Wednesday Morning at around 2:49AM and 4:09AM
If you don't know about SGDQ they are an amazing big speedrunning group who speedrun 100s of games and who are currently streaming speedruns throughout the week for charity right now: July 26th - August 1st
If you want to watch their amazing speedruns throughout the week, Here's their schedule & Stream channel
https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule
http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

Also Wayforward will be interviewed tomorrow by SGDQ in case you're interested.
Did anyone see it? I fell asleep and missed it.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
This is interesting. Make sure to link the speed run once it actually begins. Can't wait to see the fastest time for Pirate's Curse.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Hey guys, anyone interested in talking campaign strategy? Ever since I got on the Shantae bandwagon, I've been advocating for her wherever it makes sense to do so. I know a lot of you have been doing the same. What I've been wondering about lately is, which avenues are the most effective for campaigning? Are there any good places to campaign that we haven't taken full advantage of? What voters haven't we reached, and where are the best places to reach them?

The main avenues I have advocated for Shantae are the smashbros subreddit, 3DS Street Pass, miiverse, and irl (persuading gamer friends and a sibling to give her games a look). I don't really frequent other gaming sites, so that's about the extent of my reach right now.

People who browse Smash-specific online forums are the easiest to reach, and most of them (at least in the English-speaking world) have probably already at least seen Shantae's name tossed around. People who browse Smash forums are also the ones most likely to be invested enough to actually cast a vote.

There are also a lot of general Nintendo online forums and resources. I'm not very familiar with these, but they might represent a larger voting pool than Smash specific forums. Since most ballot discussion takes place in Smash-specific forums, this also might represent the largest pool of voters we haven't reached. What are the best general Nintendo forums to campaign in? Miiverse is one, and I have made a status and some miiverse stage posts, but I don't know really know Miiverse that well.

Maybe there are also some potential voters who check general gaming forums or websites but nothing else. I'm not sure how to go about reaching them.

There may be some voters who don't really look at any online resources related to gaming, but in spite of popular perception, I think this must be a fairly small group. If someone is invested enough in Smash to not just know about the ballot, but actually cast a vote, they probably browse some game-related resource online.

Finally I wish we had some way to spread awareness of Shantae on Japanese forums, but I don't see how we could (unless any of you speak Japanese).

What are your guys' thoughts on this? Can you think of any other avenues through which we can support Shantae? Are there any forums or anything that stick out to you as battlegrounds where Shantae could use a little more support?

As a follow up discussion, we could talk about how to most effectively advocate for Shantae as well, if anyone is interested. That's a topic for a separate discussion though.

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
Wait is this real?
Its on twitter and looks really legit as well. Chrom is a costume to and just like krool it looks very legit. It also said that there are more costumes to be announced as well. I'm hoping SO BAD THAT SHANTAE IS NOT ONE OF THOSE COSTUMES!

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
Okay so I just finished watching the Pirate's Curse speedrun and all I can say is one thing:

I MUST LEARN AND MASTER THESE EXPLOITS!!!

Last edited:

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
Its on twitter and looks really legit as well. Chrom is a costume to and just like krool it looks very legit. It also said that there are more costumes to be announced as well. I'm hoping SO BAD THAT SHANTAE IS NOT ONE OF THOSE COSTUMES!
This is scaring me too honestly

EDIT: sorry I did not mean to double post

Last edited:

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
Wait is this real?
It's definitely real. Even so, unless stated by Sakurai himself in some way like with Heihachi and Akira, I wouldn't take this as a deconfirmation of the character...especially one this popular.

It also said that there are more costumes to be announced as well. I'm hoping SO BAD THAT SHANTAE IS NOT ONE OF THOSE COSTUMES!
I doubt that, and in the case that she is, just consider what I said above. She sure may not be as popular as K. Rool and indie, but we still know too little about how this whole thing works to jump to conclusions. The safest thing to do until some kind of official confirmation/deconfirmation is to keep on supporting.

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
Man, I think Sakurai is trying to pull some mad mind games on us right now... and it's totally working. I don't think Shantae will become a costume though however. But if she does her chances of getting in will become VERY slim... I'm legit scared but also hyped at the same time.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
Man, I think Sakurai is trying to pull some mad mind games on us right now... and it's totally working. I don't think Shantae will become a costume though however. But if she does her chances of getting in will become VERY slim... I'm legit scared but also hyped at the same time.
I believe Shantae's chances are the same but becoming more likely. So we shan't worry for now.
We might be getting a Dr.Mario stage.
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/304375986
I reiterate from the other thread - Why wasn't this in the game in the first place?

Last edited:

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
While I'm enjoying seeing all the K. Rool fans producing a lifetime supply of salt, it might be a bit too soon for them to be diving headfirst into the mines. Remember, folks: Sakurai pulled this exact same stunt with Meta Knight. We have no reason to doubt he'd do it again.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Yeah I was like: 'Phew, that was close'.

Now that K-Rool is a costume that makes his inclusion into the DLC a moot point. So who was the other characters that is still more likely then Shantae when it comes to chances of being made into a DLC character for this game?

PS. Try and use either Nintendo's 2nd party characters or 3rd party characters. Not 1st party and 2nd party characters from different console company.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
While I'm enjoying seeing all the K. Rool fans producing a lifetime supply of salt, it might be a bit too soon for them to be diving headfirst into the mines. Remember, folks: Sakurai pulled this exact same stunt with Meta Knight. We have no reason to doubt he'd do it again.

Except with Meta Knight he was already in a previous Smash game and K-Rool would have been a new characters(would have been if not for this detailed costume).

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Except with Meta Knight he was already in a previous Smash game and K-Rool would have been a new characters(would have been if not for this detailed costume).
As much as I can't confirmed Mii kill character chances, is there really any reason why a Mii dressed up like a character would mean the actual character can't happen? 9 out of 10, you'd seriously couldn't get them confused with the real deal, especially someone like KKR.

Also, I would like to point out that Newcomer characters has indeed been hinted out, before their reveal. Metaknight being a veteran, his name could easily be dropped like that before he himself was confirmed. Newcomers however, hasn't. And from what I have been hearing from the translated version of the Miiverse post, it doesn't even mention KKR's name, just a "title" that means reference to him, like with Palutana when she was hinted at before being confirmed.

Just saying, we shouldn't think someone being "deconfirmed" is a good reason to think other characters we support get's more greenlight, and shouldn't expect that, if Miis does kill chances, something doesn't happen the same way to your requested character, Shantae being that in this case.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Well, s**t.

There's still Firday where we could see K. Rool getting confirmed but this are looking rough right now.

Seeings how Ridley and Shantae are the only other characters I voted for, let's hope at least ONE of my picks still has a chance (assuming K. Rool gets inevitably addressed if he's not playable, like Ridley and Ice Climbers were).

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Warning Received
I just visited the K. Rool topic... and I swear people panic and give up at the slightest (perceived as negative) event.
Now, here's some Shantae art:

Oh for god's sake...

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Last edited:

Solo Bolo

Smash Rookie
If there's a link to the archive for the speed run, can someone please link it? I'd like to give it a look.

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
If Shantae doesn't become a mii costume I guess you could say she "Danced Through the Danger"?
But seriously though. Here's to hoping that the next few Mii costumes revealed tomorrow don't cause the internet apocalypse.

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
Thought this was pretty funny

On IMBd, Smash Bros is credited under Shantae's voice actor's filmography

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2583829/?ref_=fn_al_nm_2

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Video Game)
Shantae (voice, as Cristina Vee)
Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
Shantae (voice, as Cristina Vee)

Obviously IMBd is unreliable as I'm pretty sure anyone can edit it not unlike wikipedia

However, I was looking at Ms. Vee's twitter and came across this:

https://twitter.com/CristinaVee/status/626600252666044420

Is it possible she edited herself?

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
I don't care much what happens I just want shantae as a playable dlc full fledged character in the roster to play as. Not a costume in any shape of form.

Top Bottom