• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
I know, and I can understand that, I heard of that complaint from others, and I can get what you mean. I think it was just to insinuate the whole "belly dancer" persona, but other than that, I don't mind either one.
Yeup after all Shantae is Shantae no matter what she looks like. Although I still like the other designs more.

I like all of Shantae's different art styles, though 1/2 Genie Hero's style is my least favorite.
Really? I like that design the most but ehh to each there own I guess.

I can understand where you're coming from. I always saw the first two games going for a more "cartoony" design while Pirate's Curse and even Half-Genie Hero to an extent are going for a more "anime-esque" design.
Well in that regard Anime wins. It had to win something right Goku fans? :troll:

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I kinda disliked her Risky's Revenge style... I mean, it just looked so derpy to me, and I don't know why.
The GBC one is pretty alright, and so is the remade version. Pirate's Curse is pretty damn good, even if the eyes seem kinda odd at some points. The Half-Genie hero artstyle looks pretty damn adorable, though.

D

Deleted member

I'm also kinda in the Pirate's Curse/Half-Genie Hero team on this one. Pirate's Curse looks very clean and charming, but the Half-Genie Hero design is just incredibly adorable.

Seriously, the demo itself showcases that beautifully. Her expression when finishing a dance is just too precious.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Just want to bump this list here.
@ 8-peacock-8 8-peacock-8 Whenever you get the chance please update the support list with these new supporters.

Mighty Minotaur
Felix_the_Slayer
LittleToys
Creativion
Fralex
Kevandre
Pyrofishy
DaemonDD
MachRider94
Solo Bolo
DarkAura64
Jasae Bushae
NateCurtis(NJC)
GoldLiger
Black-magic13
ThePsychoWolf
Midnight Twinkle
conTAgi0n
taoxadasa
ScatmansWorld25
Mental Surge

Last edited:

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Oh boy, comparing the art styles between the games.

-Shantae: One of the most beautiful games on the GBC. YMMV on calling it art since it's mostly a bunch of pixel sprites, but for what it is it's very well-done. As a hobbyist spriter myself, I can safely say that putting multiple expressions onto a human character barely 40px high, using a limited colour palette, and making them clear is not an easy task, let alone having to do it for every animated instance in the game. I don't think y'all give this enough credit: of course they're going to pale in comparison to their future projects, but you need to look at it from a "How good was this for its time?" perspective to truly appreciate the effort.

-Risky's Revenge: WayForward's next big entry, and their first attempt in a long time at making a 2D platformer for the current generation. Obviously the pixel art is a major step up, so most of the complaints I've seen have been to the somewhat-awkward art style used for the character portraits. From what I know, WayForward themselves drew the portraits even though their field of expertise was sprite art, and while the art-style portraits weren't great, they were okay for a first attempt.

-Pirate's Curse: For this one, Inti Creates partnered up with WayForward and started handling the non-sprite artwork, allowing them to focus on the sprites and gameplay aesthetics. The only complaint one can direct at the sprites are that they were in the exact same style as Risky's Revenge so they cite a lack of effort, but that doesn't mean there aren't still a plethora of new sprites; indeed, there's a lot of new, charming and awesome animations that make use of the old style. And the new character art is much more expressive and generally better-drawn. The previous two games didn't have bad art, but Pirate's Curse was definitely the series' peak so far.

-Half-Genie Hero: What appears to be happening in this drastic art shift is that WayForward is straying from sprite art, and is instead using 3D worlds with some of Inti Creates' character art and using some Flash-like tween techno-sorcery to animate them. If you've seen Flash animations on places like Newgrounds or have dabbled in Flash yourself, you'll know what tweens are and after seeing how some of those animations turned out might have questioned this design choice. However, Inti Creates and WayForward's combined efforts show us that this kind of animation and medium-blending can be done right and done well, and even in the demo version of Half-Genie Hero it all looks amazing. It makes me look forward to the full game.

tl;dr: Certainly PiCu and HGH have the best art style and animation, but that doesn't mean their predecessors are bad. They were the first games in the series, cut them a little slack.

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
Just want to bump this list here.
@ 8-peacock-8 8-peacock-8 Whenever you get the chance please update the support list with these new supporters.

Mighty Minotaur
Felix_the_Slayer
LittleToys
Creativion
Fralex
Kevandre
Pyrofishy
DaemonDD
MachRider94
Solo Bolo
DarkAura64
Jasae Bushae
NateCurtis(NJC)
GoldLiger
Black-magic13
ThePsychoWolf
Midnight Twinkle
conTAgi0n
taoxadasa
ScatmansWorld25
hey, you still didn't add me :(

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

-Shantae: One of the most beautiful games on the GBC. YMMV on calling it art since it's mostly a bunch of pixel sprites, but for what it is it's very well-done. As a hobbyist spriter myself, I can safely say that putting multiple expressions onto a human character barely 40px high, using a limited colour palette, and making them clear is not an easy task, let alone having to do it for every animated instance in the game. I don't think y'all give this enough credit: of course they're going to pale in comparison to their future projects, but you need to look at it from a "How good was this for its time?" perspective to truly appreciate the effort.

-Risky's Revenge: WayForward's next big entry, and their first attempt in a long time at making a 2D platformer for the current generation. Obviously the pixel art is a major step up, so most of the complaints I've seen have been to the somewhat-awkward art style used for the character portraits. From what I know, WayForward themselves drew the portraits even though their field of expertise was sprite art, and while the art-style portraits weren't great, they were okay for a first attempt.

-Pirate's Curse: For this one, Inti Creates partnered up with WayForward and started handling the non-sprite artwork, allowing them to focus on the sprites and gameplay aesthetics. The only complaint one can direct at the sprites are that they were in the exact same style as Risky's Revenge so they cite a lack of effort, but that doesn't mean there aren't still a plethora of new sprites; indeed, there's a lot of new, charming and awesome animations that make use of the old style. And the new character art is much more expressive and generally better-drawn. The previous two games didn't have bad art, but Pirate's Curse was definitely the series' peak so far.

-Half-Genie Hero: What appears to be happening in this drastic art shift is that WayForward is straying from sprite art, and is instead using 3D worlds with some of Inti Creates' character art and using some Flash-like tween techno-sorcery to animate them. If you've seen Flash animations on places like Newgrounds or have dabbled in Flash yourself, you'll know what tweens are and after seeing how some of those animations turned out might have questioned this design choice. However, Inti Creates and WayForward's combined efforts show us that this kind of animation and medium-blending can be done right and done well, and even in the demo version of Half-Genie Hero it all looks amazing. It makes me look forward to the full game.

tl;dr: Certainly PiCu and HGH have the best art style and animation, but that doesn't mean their predecessors are bad. They were the first games in the series, cut them a little slack.
No I hate the art style and that never going to change but will agree the sprites do look really well animated.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
...Oh, right, I was actually going to post a thing before I got sidetracked with that wall of text.
Source is... well, this video. It's a speedpaint!

He has a website, but since some of the content is NSFW, I won't be linking it here.

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
hey, you still didn't add me :(
Sorry, Added.

Mighty Minotaur
Felix_the_Slayer
LittleToys
Creativion
Fralex
Kevandre
Pyrofishy
DaemonDD
MachRider94
Solo Bolo
DarkAura64
Jasae Bushae
NateCurtis(NJC)
GoldLiger
Black-magic13
ThePsychoWolf
Midnight Twinkle
conTAgi0n
taoxadasa
ScatmansWorld25
Mental Surge

Wolley2xjd

...Oh, right, I was actually going to post a thing before I got sidetracked with that wall of text.

He has a website, but since some of the content is NSFW, I won't be linking it here.
That's a very well done picture and since you won't be linking the website I'll guess I'll just have to link a funny video about another genie that this picture reminded me of.

LOLZ.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I would say that my favorite design for Shantae, which I've always believed to be the "de-facto" artstyle for her has been:

Alongside:

In other words, Shantae: Risky's Revenge, holds my hands-down favorite artstyles for Shantae.

Not too (IMO) "freakishly" skinny, (GBC boxart), not too "chibi", (artstyle of Half-Genie Hero) and not too "anime-styled" (Pirate's Curse)

Last edited:

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
I would say that my favorite design for Shantae, which I've always believed to be the "de-facto" artstyle for her has been:

Alongside:

In other words, Shantae: Risky's Revenge, holds my hands-down favorite artstyles for Shantae.
This art style is also my favorite because it's the most unique IMO

Wolley2xjd

Alongside:

WHAT?!

HOW DEAR YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION FROM ME!!!!!!!!

1436996956830.jpg

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

Alongside:

Not too (IMO) "freakishly" skinny, (GBC boxart), not too "chibi", (artstyle of Half-Genie Hero) and not too "anime-styled" (Pirate's Curse)
This is basically how I feel about the design. I like them all, but Risk'y revenge has the style I like mostly for originality, and a nice mix between the west and the east. Maybe make her "less skinny" for those that thinks that, at there you go.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
I actually really like her Pirate Curse's design.
But I'm also starting to like her Half Genie Hero design a lot better lately.....man its hard to choose.

Wolley2xjd

I actually really like her Pirate Curse's design.
But I'm also starting to like her Half Genie Hero design a lot better lately.....man its hard to choose.
Her 1/2 genie hero appearance reminds me of :4tlink:and the cel-shaded Zelda game's in general which is a good thing. :)

I'm good, you?

Regardless of which game it is, Shantae's design in general is pretty good.
I'm fine, just ceiling and listen to some music.

Preach it brah! :chuckle:

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
Eh, tbh I'm not really a huge fan of her original design or RR design. Pirates Curse one is much better imo. HGH is also really good.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
We should do a poll to see which of her designs is more popular.
I think since most people wasn't aware of Shantae until post-Risky's Revenge / pre-Pirate's Curse, the newer design would most likely be the most popular by standards. Most that known her before those games would cater to the original styles.

Wolley2xjd

I think since most people wasn't aware of Shantae until post-Risky's Revenge / pre-Pirate's Curse, the newer design would most likely be the most popular by standards. Most that known her before those games would cater to the original styles.
True but it'll still would be fun.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't recall people making a comparison between the in-game sprites in this discussion to be fair. If that actually was the case, I'm sure the first game would be mentioned more often, as yes, the sprite work in that game is fantastic, especially considering the limitations. In terms of my preferences there, I'd still say Risky's Revenge/Pirate's Curse just because of the extra detail, but the first game would definitely be a runner-up.

As for Half-Genie Hero's integration of base art-style into the in-game sprites, I think it's more or less just a testament to our modern lack of limitations at this moment. Of course, the ease of Inti Creates' abilities to make "drag-n-drop"-esque animation is a factor too, but I think this is the first time we can say that the in-game visuals will mimic the cover art to a large degree.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930

...Saving both of these. These are amazing.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I like both Pirates Curse and Half Genie Hero's design.

For Pirates Curse I like how they made her look serious for the situation she is in at that time(without her powers)

For Half Genie Hero I like how they made her style similar to Wind Waker because cell shading is one of the best engines there is.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
As Raheem said, "Haters gonna hate." Just have to ignore them.[/quote]

Yeah, Haters always Bound to H-A-T-E for every time good true enthusiasm believers like us for example must always protect our Shantae's reputation & especially prove them HATERS wrong for good! Otherwise in a bad note, haters may have their way something so, idiotic and especially ironic like this about cancellation of The SPECTACULAR Spiderman:
P.S: I love and miss that show!

went ahead and Googled this username, i find it odd that he calls himself a "Shantae fan" and yet seems 100% against her inclusion, you'd think if you were a fan of a character you'd support that character in whatever the developers would want to put them in.

ah well. one voice against many is how I'm looking at this. all we really can do is drown him out with our own voices. and on that note: #ShantaeForSmash
[/quote]
Yes, I perfectly totally agreed about to drown DevilX90 out, once and for all our sakes to fight through all the negativism of haters:
& we must spam the Smash Bros Ballot votes for SHANTAE's inclusion cuz it's half-almost over in about 3 more months before until Oct. 3rd! Good-Luck and personally I'm also spamming the votes for Geno, Izuna, Neku Sakuraba and finally my two personal favorite Hedgehogs: Manic & Sonia!

Of Course!
&
Looks like Bomberman got Smashified folks.
Hopefully, this can happen in time:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom