• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Fellow supporters, I need your help. Can you post your 250 character reason for Shantae to be in Smash for the ballot? I need about 10 original ones, focusing on different reasons. like, sentiment, logistics, and flat out begging. Thanks guys!

Also, there's no need to hope, because she is making it for sure. :chuckle:
It's gonna be a bit hard to fit it all in, but here's mine.
#Shantae4Smash due to her long Nintendo status. One can say she is sexualized, but that is only half-true; even with the ass n' boobs her games keep E10, and her looks are about the same level as ZSS. + Ken Sugimori is a fan.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Fellow supporters, I need your help. Can you post your 250 character reason for Shantae to be in Smash for the ballot? I need about 10 original ones, focusing on different reasons. like, sentiment, logistics, and flat out begging. Thanks guys!
Not sure if mine will help, but here's mine.
This ballot has greatly increased Shantae’s notoriety, and it’s no surprise: the Shantae series is very enjoyable, so far with three games on Nintendo systems since 2002 with a fourth game in production, giving her an edge over other “indie” characters and even a few third-party characters. Each game has a plethora of techniques and inspirations to make a good moveset and/or stages from, so I believe Shantae would be a great fit for the Smash Bros. cast. Let’s score one for the indie developers!

Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730

Also, there's no need to hope, because she is making it for sure. :chuckle:
Here's my perfect reasons for Shantae to be in Smash for the ballot to say like this: Because, Shantae definitely, deserves to be confirmed as a New Exclusively DLC Playable Half-Genie Heroine in Super Smash Bros. 4 3DS/Wii U versions in Nintendo's benefits and especially fans shall give majorly praised for their favorite character: #ShantaeForSmash!
jSncElT Shantae card.png

Hello I'm new to this Shantae thread and I'm here to help support Shantae to get into super smash bros, I'm also supporting Geno to get in super smash bros (I'm voting for Geno,Shantae,Knuckles and Toad for super smash bros fighter ballot):chuckle:
Well, welcome to our #ShantaeForSmash thread, friend
CB7b03GW4AAxGUC Shantae.jpg
and don't forget to vote #GenoForSmash too!
geno sign.png

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'll throw my hat in, why not!

What helps seperate Shantae from many other indie-character ballots is the loyalty Wayforward has had with Nintendo, dating all the way back to 2002. She has, and always will be, most at home on Nintendo platforms, which is why she qualifies the most. The Shantae games have a charm that other platforms just can't match, and that charm BELONGS in Smash.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
By the way...
Also if any of you guys have a Miiverse account someone is doing a Top 10 DLC characters, Make sure to put down Shantae.
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkOkXpqeg
...this mock-ballot finished. https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkP8wQNfA

1) Inklings
2) Shovel Knight
3) Snake
4) Banjo & Kazooie
5) King K. Rool
6) Bandana Waddle Dee
7) Shantae
8) Wolf
9) Rayman
10) Isaac (Golden Sun)

...Ye Gods, this is why post polls are not done, not even on Miiverse. Bare in mind this was a very, very minor poll that barely got 50-75 votes, if that, so the results are drastically different from that you'd expect.

On the plus side though, while Shantae's place in these mock-ballots seems to fluctuate heavily, it's nice to see that she's consistently in the Top 10 now and has some love on Miiverse. She still struggles to get past K. Rool and B&K and occasionally Wolf and Snake, but all things considered that's a lot better than expected. Everyone else seen on mock-ballots fluctuates between being in Top 10 and not so much that I'm not sure they're relevant anymore.

Case and point, these old Strawpolls (if you haven't voted in them yet, just remove the "/r" from the end of the link):
http://strawpoll.me/4688981/r
http://www.strawpoll.me/4736426/r
http://www.strawpoll.me/4736435/r

The Inklings and Shovel Knight respectively had #1 and #2 on the Miiverse poll, but utterly failed to impress on the first Strawpoll. Isaac barely hit #10 on the Miiverse poll, but has neatly secured #2 on the second Strawpoll with the Inklings stuck behind him at #3. On the third Strawpoll, Shantae has been gradually pulling away from Shovel Knight and might be within striking distance of B&K's #1 spot soon.

Another poll of interest might be the apparently finished polls on the Super Smash Bros Central tumblr (http://supersmashbroscentral.tumblr.com/). Going by number of votes in both polls, the Top 10 there are:

1) Banjo & Kazooie (224) (3rd)
2) Sora (159) (3rd)
3) Chrom (152) (1st)
4) Bayonetta (139) (3rd)
5) Princess Daisy (125) (1st)
6) Shantae (118) (3rd)
7) Rayman (115) (3rd)
8) King K. Rool (113) (1st)
9) Shovel Knight (113) (3rd)
10) Inkling (112) (1st)

If you (perhaps rightfully) question the validity of spots 3, 4 and 5 (maybe even 2 if you think Squeenix won't play ball), Shantae is comfortably in the Top 5. I think it's safe to say that Shantae has a prominent presence in the official Fighter Ballot by now. My only concern is how much the other entrants not named B&K or K. Rool fluctuate in fan-polls because it makes them very unpredictable in the final results.

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
By the way...

...this mock-ballot finished. https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkP8wQNfA

1) Inklings
2) Shovel Knight
3) Snake
4) Banjo & Kazooie
5) King K. Rool
6) Bandana Waddle Dee
7) Shantae
8) Wolf
9) Rayman
10) Isaac (Golden Sun)

...Ye Gods, this is why post polls are not done, not even on Miiverse. Bare in mind this was a very, very minor poll that barely got 50-75 votes, if that, so the results are drastically different from that you'd expect.

On the plus side though, while Shantae's place in these mock-ballots seems to fluctuate heavily, it's nice to see that she's consistently in the Top 10 now and has some love on Miiverse. She still struggles to get past K. Rool and B&K and occasionally Wolf and Snake, but all things considered that's a lot better than expected. Everyone else seen on mock-ballots fluctuates between being in Top 10 and not so much that I'm not sure they're relevant anymore.

Case and point, these old Strawpolls (if you haven't voted in them yet, just remove the "/r" from the end of the link):
http://strawpoll.me/4688981/r
http://www.strawpoll.me/4736426/r
http://www.strawpoll.me/4736435/r

The Inklings and Shovel Knight respectively had #1 and #2 on the Miiverse poll, but utterly failed to impress on the first Strawpoll. Isaac barely hit #10 on the Miiverse poll, but has neatly secured #2 on the second Strawpoll with the Inklings stuck behind him at #3. On the third Strawpoll, Shantae has been gradually pulling away from Shovel Knight and might be within striking distance of B&K's #1 spot soon.

Another poll of interest might be the apparently finished polls on the Super Smash Bros Central tumblr (http://supersmashbroscentral.tumblr.com/). Going by number of votes in both polls, the Top 10 there are:

1) Banjo & Kazooie (224) (1st)
2) Sora (159) (3rd)
3) Chrom (152) (1st)
4) Bayonetta (139) (3rd)
5) Princess Daisy (125) (1st)
6) Shantae (118) (3rd)
7) Rayman (115) (3rd)
8) King K. Rool (113) (1st)
9) Shovel Knight (113) (3rd)
10) Inkling (112) (1st)

If you (perhaps rightfully) question the validity of spots 3, 4 and 5 (maybe even 2 if you think Squeenix won't play ball), Shantae is comfortably in the Top 5. I think it's safe to say that Shantae has a prominent presence in the official Fighter Ballot by now. My only concern is how much the other entrants not named B&K or K. Rool fluctuate in fan-polls because it makes them very unpredictable in the final results.
Yeah, Shantae is looking pretty good in these Top 10 Picks & These different polls. :)

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I just beaten Pirate's Curse, it was fantastic, if the other two games didn't convince me to want her, this one certainly would. The music, the dialogue, the gameplay, it was a great!

That last section in the palace was a pain though...

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Of the third parties Shante and Shovel Knight are usually on top of English Polls. Both devs have an intrest in getting their characters in but Shantae has the edge in legacy and having actually been released in Japan once. I wonder where they'd stand on French, Spanish or Portuguese polls.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Ironically, even with Shantae's name spelled wrong and me pretending she was one of the top 3, she's #2 on that Multiple character poll. :D

NateCurtis(NJC)

Smash Apprentice
Here is another picture about the smash fighter ballot.This one has less character's because I had really really really small space and so sorry your character that you are voting for is not in this picture and I know there are thousand of character's that people are voting for but I can't put a thousand of character's in one small picture, I was going to put Sonia,Manic,Ice Climbers,Isaac,Bayonetta and Impa in but I just didn't have enough space or I couldn't find a sprite for it, also I didn't make any of these sprites and I didn't rip any of them from a game, so please don't give me any credit for any of these sprites, but any way I hope you guy's like this picture:chuckle::laugh:

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys found another poll put down Shantae when you get the chance.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1FyhREL6FBQtLT3JEQVFGczO3OH63a07Q_L3SXALwUdI/viewform
"Let's throw every single desired character into one gigantic poll, what could possibly go wrong?"

Furries catapulting Krystal up to #2, that's what.:c

It's got nothing to do with Shantae being at #3, I just really don't like Krystal and don't understand what people want her in Smash for. Her debut game was essentially a Star Fox game in name only, and in future games she's either a generic pilot or a deliberate source of storyline drama for Fox to whine about. IMO she's not a defining character for the series, and :4fox:, :4falco:, :wolf: and Andross are all the representation the series is really good for.

I'm kinda glad that in this poll you can pick Multiple characters.
I wish I'd realized that before I voted, I would've thrown in a second vote for :popo:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Hey guys found another poll put down Shantae when you get the chance.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1FyhREL6FBQtLT3JEQVFGczO3OH63a07Q_L3SXALwUdI/viewform
Krystal is in second place on that one, but I am 99% sure that is due to someone spamming votes. I refreshed the results a few times at work (I was bored, don't judge me), and I watched her votes double over the space of about 20 minutes (no one else got hardly any during that same time span). Right now that poll shows Krystal just 8 votes behind K. Rool, which is kind of implausible.

For those curious though, here are the current top 5 in that poll:

1. K. Rool (72 votes)
2. Krystal (63)
3. Shantae (45)
4. Isaac (25)
5. Wolf (19)

EDIT: I just refreshed that poll again, and in the space of about 3 minutes Sora went from a negligible number of votes (<10) to 108, by far the most of any character. I think we have to disregard this poll completely, it's been totally trashed by spammers.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Krystal is in second place on that one, but I am 99% sure that is due to someone spamming votes. I refreshed the results a few times at work (I was bored, don't judge me), and I watched her votes double over the space of about 20 minutes (no one else got hardly any during that same time span). Right now that poll shows Krystal just 8 votes behind K. Rool, which is kind of implausible.

1. K. Rool (72 votes)
2. Krystal (63)
3. Shantae (45)
4. Isaac (25)
5. Wolf (19)
Just to throw it out there, welcome to the thread, and welcome to Smashboards. :)

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
"Let's throw every single desired character into one gigantic poll, what could possibly go wrong?"

Furries catapulting Krystal up to #2, that's what.:c

It's got nothing to do with Shantae being at #3, I just really don't like Krystal and don't understand what people want her in Smash for. Her debut game was essentially a Star Fox game in name only, and in future games she's either a generic pilot or a deliberate source of storyline drama for Fox to whine about. IMO she's not a defining character for the series, and :4fox:, :4falco:, :wolf: and Andross are all the representation the series is really good for.

I wish I'd realized that before I voted, I would've thrown in a second vote for :popo:
We caught wind of the survey too is all, same as you. Supporters will vote for who they support, heh.

I support Shantae too! I love her games. I even laid down a bunch of cash to get Half-Genie Hero going. She's the best choice for a third party inclusion in my opinion and the only so-called "indie" that has a chance. I've just been a Krystal supporter for longer, since Adventures and Assault, and have placed my vote there first and foremost. I did toss Shantae a vote on another device though.

I'm not gonna get into why we support Krystal's inclusion since this is not the thread for it, but we believe in her potential and are fans of the games she's appeared in. Like any fan of anything, it's a view that we may not be able to convince many other people of since people have different tastes and stuff. We're voting as supporters of the Nintendo character and her potential however, as Smash fans and Star Fox fans... and many of use don't even associate with any furry community. There's more to the character than that although lots of people like to point to that and use it to discredit us specifically, which is ironic since Wolf and the other Star Fox characters fit in the same category.

But aye, it happens. As Shantae fans we also have to deal with other people pointing to Shantae as an obscure and apparently sexualized character. They don't see the bigger picture. They think there's some one dimensional reason we must want her and I think some people just don't like that she's popular now more than ever. Where ever you go, you run into this no matter who you're a fan of.

Basically, we may have different tastes, but we know what it's like to be fans. As a Krystal supporter, I'm not getting my friends in that thread to vote because we're "furries" trying to ruin a poll. We're the same as you. We want to show our support. It's competitive, yes... but it doesn't need to be unfriendly. As a Shantae supporter, I'm more literally "the same as you", lol.

1. K. Rool (72 votes)
2. Krystal (63)
3. Shantae (45)
4. Isaac (25)
5. Wolf (19)
Krystal has a pretty big thread here with a lot of supporters and we shared that link in our thread same as you guys. I'm guessing other communities haven't seen it quite yet. I expressed a desire to keep it fair with my fellow supporters over there. I even spoke to the survey's creator about ways to make it more secure and stuff. It's a disproportionate amount of votes, yes... but it's still early in the survey's life and we've thrown in our votes. Chances are good K. Rool and Isaac votes will keep coming and we'll slow down a bit more.

Also, welcome to Smashboards!

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
We caught wind of the survey too is all, same as you. Supporters will vote for who they support, heh.

I support Shantae too! I love her games. I even laid down a bunch of cash to get Half-Genie Hero going. She's the best choice for a third party inclusion in my opinion and the only so-called "indie" that has a chance. I've just been a Krystal supporter for longer, since Adventures and Assault, and have placed my vote there first and foremost. I did toss Shantae a vote on another device though.

I'm not gonna get into why we support Krystal's inclusion since this is not the thread for it, but we believe in her potential and are fans of the games she's appeared in. Like any fan of anything, it's a view that we may not be able to convince many other people of since people have different tastes and stuff. We're voting as supporters of the Nintendo character and her potential however, as Smash fans and Star Fox fans... and many of use don't even associate with any furry community. There's more to the character than that although lots of people like to point to that and use it to discredit us specifically, which is ironic since Wolf and the other Star Fox characters fit in the same category.

But aye, it happens. As Shantae fans we also have to deal with other people pointing to Shantae as an obscure and apparently sexualized character. They don't see the bigger picture. They think there's some one dimensional reason we must want her and I think some people just don't like that she's popular now more than ever. Where ever you go, you run into this no matter who you're a fan of.

Basically, we may have different tastes, but we know what it's like to be fans. As a Krystal supporter, I'm not getting my friends in that thread to vote because we're "furries" trying to ruin a poll. We're the same as you. We want to show our support. It's competitive, yes... but it doesn't need to be unfriendly. As a Shantae supporter, I'm more literally "the same as you", lol.

Krystal has a pretty big thread here with a lot of supporters and we shared that link in our thread same as you guys. I'm guessing other communities haven't seen it quite yet. I expressed a desire to keep it fair with my fellow supporters over there. I even spoke to the survey's creator about ways to make it more secure and stuff. It's a disproportionate amount of votes, yes... but it's still early in the survey's life and we've thrown in our votes. Chances are good K. Rool and Isaac votes will keep coming and we'll slow down a bit more.

I wouldn't mind seeing Krystal myself in Smash Bros. She offers a unique playstyle, she would add more female representation, and if Wolf were included along with her, it would complete Star Fox representation. It's cool to see that you're supporting both her and Shantae! I hope both of them get in! :D

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608

1. K. Rool (72 votes)
2. Krystal (63)
3. Shantae (45)
4. Isaac (25)
5. Wolf (19)

EDIT: I just refreshed that poll again, and in the space of about 3 minutes Sora went from a negligible number of votes (<10) to 108, by far the most of any character. I think we have to disregard this poll completely, it's been totally trashed by spammers.
Yeah, Sora is #1 I think somebody is indeed spamming this poll.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
For everyone's sake, at least this isn't the official Smash poll or anything. Also considering of it was, if Sakurai would even make these characters at the top of the list happen just because they are at the top, rather if they are practical to happen to use in Smash.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Here is another picture about the smash fighter ballot.This one has less character's because I had really really really small space and so sorry your character that you are voting for is not in this picture and I know there are thousand of character's that people are voting for but I can't put a thousand of character's in one small picture, I was going to put Sonia,Manic,Ice Climbers,Isaac,Bayonetta and Impa in but I just didn't have enough space or I couldn't find a sprite for it, also I didn't make any of these sprites and I didn't rip any of them from a game, so please don't give me any credit for any of these sprites, but any way I hope you guy's like this picture:chuckle::laugh:
Can you put Manic & Sonia The Hedgehogs in another picture like this:

Pyropuppet

Smash Cadet

While Krystal is not in my top three, I definitely think she deserves to be in the game. Sorry for the haters.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice

Alas, I apologize too, I should've been a bit less antagonistic in my post. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion in the ballot after all, it's just that Krystal really doesn't do it for me. Ask me to fill out a list of my Top 10 picks and I'm sure Krystal wouldn't be among them, but that's just me; you guys over at the dedicated thread probably have counters to my arguments anyway.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind seeing Krystal myself in Smash Bros. She offers a unique playstyle, she would add more female representation, and if Wolf were included along with her, it would complete Star Fox representation. It's cool to see that you're supporting both her and Shantae! I hope both of them get in! :D
Thanks! Me too.. obviously, heh.

Yeah, Sora is #1 I think somebody is indeed spamming this poll.
I did tell the survey creator that making it secure in some way was highly recommended. You can only count on the honor of an internet community to a point, and sometimes that point isn't far at all. I'd be okay if those votes were legit, but there's no way to know is the problem.

While Krystal is not in my top three, I definitely think she deserves to be in the game. Sorry for the haters.
It's fine. It's something we all have to deal with. As they say, "haters gonna hate". True "haters" care more about hating than the reasons why. I didn't get that at all here.

Alas, I apologize too, I should've been a bit less antagonistic in my post. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion in the ballot after all, it's just that Krystal really doesn't do it for me. Ask me to fill out a list of my Top 10 picks and I'm sure Krystal wouldn't be among them, but that's just me; you guys over at the dedicated thread probably have counters to my arguments anyway.
It's fine. You're in your own thread and just expressed a frustration. There's people in the Krystal thread that would do the same in frustration. Basically, I understand you weren't really targeting anyone or going out of your way to antagonize anyone. I just happened to have been here though, so I thought I'd explain some of the survey results you were seeing while explaining that we're not "all bad", lol.

I'm cool with you not liking the character and I'm not going to come into Shantae's thread and tell you to change your mind. I'd rather talk Shantae in the Shantae support thread. You're welcome to visit the Krystal thread if you want to hear reasons why we support her. Even with all things explained, I'll admit her appeal isn't obvious and we don't expect to make people turn a 180. Likewise, it can be hard to explain why Shantae is cool to someone who's never played her games and/or has no interest in her.

Last edited:

howabe

Smash Rookie
Aaand this is why we only use polls where people are IP-logged so they can only vote once. Welp.
Yup, lesson learnt. Sadly, I was willing to go on trust and allow the maximum number of people to be eligible to vote by not restricting it to one per Google account.
On the flip side, viewing the response list can give a pretty clear view of obvious spam votes. By removing these and manually collating the data, I can make a more accurate set of results (though it won't be live-updated and the live-updated set can't ever have results removed from it).
We'll see what that produces, and if it's something like what we'd expect with the spam removed, all might not be lost. Otherwise, chalk it up as an experience.

...It's also one vote/one account now :p

Jasae Bushae

Smash Cadet
Shantae is certainly my first choice for Smash. Though id be happy to see Krystal, Sami or Daisy make the cut.

Top Bottom