• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I think Nintendo SHOULD have an Indie rep in this Smash, especially if we're considering how much Nintendo HAS supported indie games on the wii u.

Knowing Sakurai, I think it's possible. Shantae is certainly unique enough for him to want to create her.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I think Nintendo SHOULD have an Indie rep in this Smash, especially if we're considering how much Nintendo HAS supported indie games on the wii u.

Knowing Sakurai, I think it's possible. Shantae is certainly unique enough for him to want to create her.
To be honest, if I have to bet, if there is an Indie Rep that Sakurai wants to do or just a really awesome third party character, he'd pick Shantae.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Last edited:

Felix the Slayer

Ret-2-Go!
3DS FC
3093-7620-3358
Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Sounds like it's Zelda related because of this sentence
" It might not be quite what you expect… but keep an eye out for another MEGATON announcement soon!"

In Ocarina of Time you get the Megaton Hammer in the Fire Temple. So either it has to do something with that or they just wanted to make a Nintendo pun.
My guess is that Shovel Knight will be Hyrule Warrior DLC.

Edit: I should have read more carefully...

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Sounds like it's Zelda related because of this sentence
" It might not be quite what you expect… but keep an eye out for another MEGATON announcement soon!"
In Ocarina of Time you get the Megaton Hammer in the Fire Temple. So either it has to do something with that or they just wanted to make a Nintendo pun.
I'd say it is still a rather foggy statement, honestly. I mean Kirby Super Star had that Megaton Punch game, so it isn't like it is Nintendo's only time using the word Megaton.

Oh boy.... That better not be them saying Shovel Knight will be in Smash. Trust me, I will be angered if they actually announce him being in the game when there's a more deserving Indie Rep. No offense to any Shovel Knight fans, but that's just my opinion.
I sincerely doubt Nintendo content implies anything about him being in Smash. All that exclusive content really is for is to help persuade people into buying the Wii U / 3DS versions of the game. I mean if content like that implied a character's chances, we'd have a Monster Hunter, Soul Calibur, One Piece, Tekken, and / or Samurai Warriors character in Smash by now because of the fact they have had Nintendo content in a heavy fashion.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I noticed you folk and the King K. thread are both having a hubub about
shiffil knit.png

Now what would all this be about, exactly :4pacman:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
The way they say "It might not be quite what you expect" for Nintendo exclusive Shovel Knight content tells me that they didn't collaborate with Nintendo. Curious what it is regardless.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
I'd say it is still a rather foggy statement, honestly. I mean Kirby Super Star had that Megaton Punch game, so it isn't like it is Nintendo's only time using the word Megaton.

I sincerely doubt Nintendo content implies anything about him being in Smash. All that exclusive content really is for is to help persuade people into buying the Wii U / 3DS versions of the game. I mean if content like that implied a character's chances, we'd have a Monster Hunter, Soul Calibur, One Piece, Tekken, and / or Samurai Warriors character in Smash by now because of the fact they have had Nintendo content in a heavy fashion.
Monster Hunter, Soul Calibur, One Piece, Tekken, and / or Samurai Warriors character in Smash
One Piece [...] character in Smash

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
*looks at it*
*reads it thorougly*
And this has to do with Shantae and King K. because....?
If anything,
shiffil knit.png
is merely attempting up w/ the dancing femme fatale (Because she too has a multiplatform game also coming to Wii U soon, along with more games under her belt in general, and lest we forget every single time WayForward has been poking at Nintendo and Smash) and King K. is just sorta being there, doing K. Rool things

Plus the "MEGATON" announcement is probably Nintendo's call to Kratos and Battletoads (For XBOX and PlayStation), probably something like the Megaton Hammer from Zelda, Villager being a skin for
shiffil knit.png
, or something amongst the lines.

You mates are being a bit too hasty about this :4pacman:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
*looks at it*
*reads it thorougly*
If anything, View attachment 59376 is merely attempting up w/ the dancing femme fatale (Because she too has a multiplatform game also coming to Wii U soon, along with more games under her belt in general, and lest we forget every single time WayForward has been poking at Nintendo and Smash) and King K. is just sorta being there, doing K. Rool things

Plus the "MEGATON" announcement is probably Nintendo's call to Kratos and Battletoads (For XBOX and PlayStation), probably something like the Megaton Hammer from Zelda, Villager being a skin for View attachment 59376 , or something amongst the lines.

I think I must have not been paying much attention round here, but is people going "Shovel Knight Confirmed" because of this?

When isn't this always the case with any character that gets anything "Nintendo" added to them and everyone talks about it? This ins't really news.

But I checked the Rool thread...umm, ok, I think I get why you made that statement earlier. But I didn't see any one act out around here like that, more just a bit a the concern side, which always happens around this site because "x character threaten's my character from Smash DLC".

Just saying, this isn't anything new around here, imo...

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
The way they say "It might not be quite what you expect" for Nintendo exclusive Shovel Knight content tells me that they didn't collaborate with Nintendo. Curious what it is regardless.
"It might not be what you expect" could be implying anything. It doesn't necessarily mean they didn't collaborate with Nintendo.

If you guys want my thoughts on the matter, I think I know exactly what it is. I posted something a little while back related to this topic when I got a reply from Yacht Club Games.

Just my two cents on the matter.

I was trying to make a point that despite a game having Nintendo content, it doesn't mean we will get a character in Smash from those particular games. But lol anyways. xD

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
*looks at it*
*reads it thorougly*
If anything, View attachment 59376 is merely attempting up w/ the dancing femme fatale (Because she too has a multiplatform game also coming to Wii U soon, along with more games under her belt in general, and lest we forget every single time WayForward has been poking at Nintendo and Smash) and King K. is just sorta being there, doing K. Rool things

Plus the "MEGATON" announcement is probably Nintendo's call to Kratos and Battletoads (For XBOX and PlayStation), probably something like the Megaton Hammer from Zelda, Villager being a skin for View attachment 59376 , or something amongst the lines.

meh, pretty much some people jumping the gun thinking Shovel Knight's popularity will guarantee him a spot in the roster.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
meh, pretty much some people jumping the gun thinking Shovel Knight's popularity will guarantee him a spot in the roster.
Little do they know
One of the two Nindies is in Japan, meaning more people know them 'round the world
The other isn't even close to being there yet, meaning only 'Murica gets them
Take a guess which one goes where :4pacman:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Hard to say we'll see what the future holds.
And by "The Future", I'm assuming August
My reasoning behind that is that every seemingly "major" update has come in a 2-month timeframe
:4mewtwo: > April
Nothing happened in May
:4lucas:, :4feroy: and :4ryu: > June
Nothing planned for July
Youtube and Tourney Mode > August
Nothing planned for September
Fighter Ballot Ends > October

It's a nice little pattern, so I'm expecting to see atleast 1 newcomer come August :4pacman:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
And by "The Future", I'm assuming August
My reasoning behind that is that every seemingly "major" update has come in a 2-month timeframe
:4mewtwo: > April
Nothing happened in May
:4lucas:, :4feroy: and :4ryu: > June
Nothing planned for July
Youtube and Tourney Mode > August
Nothing planned for September
Fighter Ballot Ends > October

It's a nice little pattern, so I'm expecting to see atleast 1 newcomer come August :4pacman:
We could also be getting both Peach's Castle & Hyrule Castle in August and maybe 1-2 characters announced along with the update.

Pyropuppet

Smash Cadet
*looks at it*
*reads it thorougly*

Just letting you know, you sound a tad condescending to me. Anyways, I don't see anyone here freaking out, just some speculation, which will always happen when a company says that they have a secret.

Mighty Minotaur

Smash Cadet
Kind of want to throw this out there, but along with Shantae what others characters would you guys like to see make it in smash?
If I had to pick 3 (Outside of Shantae, of course) I would pick Inkling from Splatoon, Banjo & Kazooie (Wanted him since 64, but ever since Nuts & Bolts he's kinda been dead to me ;_;), and Quote from Cave Story.
My honorable mention would be Isaac from Golden Sun. (I haven't played the game, as I can't find any legal ports of it. I wouldn't ever pirate a game.) I like the look of his character, and I was originally against him because of my "UGGGH. ANOTHER SWORD USER?!" mindset. But now that I've opened up a little bit, I would actually like to see him in. Golden Sun fans really got robbed this time around, since Isaac's trophy was removed. And seeing the fanbase clamoring for him back is kinda sad, and it makes me want to play the game(s?).
Another honorable mention is Lilac from Freedom Planet. A criminally underrated Gunstar Heroes/Sonic combo game. I'm not even going to try to gush on how amazing it is ;_;.
Come to think of it, what do you guys think about Gunstar Red/Blue being in Smash?
(Sorry to draw this post out)

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Reminder that Shantae's first game was a physical copy, albeit very rare. I still think she has an edge over Shovel Knight.

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
Reminder that Shantae's first game was a physical copy, albeit very rare. I still think she has an edge over Shovel Knight.
That's true. Although we didn't have access to digital stores back in the day.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
That's true. Although we didn't have access to digital stores back in the day.
Yep. We had to go and buy our games miles away in the snow uphill both ways! Back then, being a gamer meant gaming as much as it meant fighting polar bears to get to the software!

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well guys, Sakurai recently had an interaction with Ken Sugimori (the guy from Japan who is the drawer of all Pokemon. He liked the Shantae games and voted for her in the Ballot, including the rest of his staff, as I heard). It was about these two books that related to all the Famitsu articles that was published about Sakurai or something like that (we can thank the somewhat terribleness that is Google Translate for being able to at least present the general idea). It's significant because that means they have interacted, and the chances that he could of told Sakurai about Shantae might be an even greater possiblity.

Last edited:

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Yeah uh, I think people all over the forums definitely overreacted to Shovel Knight's alleged "ascension". Perhaps now would be a good time to remind everyone of the gaming hierarchy:

First-Party: games made by, or someone who directly works for, the hardware company
Third-Party: a big-name company making games independently
Indie: a small-time company making games independently

As you can see, the differences between Third-Party and Indie are very slim. One has a bunch of popular and well-known people working on a game, the other has less popular and less known people working on a game. That's really it. Calling a company third-party just because it became a publisher is hardly fair; Yacht Club Games with physical merchandise is still Yacht Club Games, and Shovel Knight is still Shovel Knight. If this is the logic you're trying to apply to it, you could argue that WayForward is Third-Party because the first Shantae game was on a physical cartridge, and that certainly hasn't stopped everyone from dubbing Shantae and WayForward as Indie anyway. And all that besides: the physical Shovel Knight games aren't even coming out until after the Fighter Ballot is over, so this news' effect on it is going to be negligible at best.

Stop panicking and put your pants back on. Nothing in regards to the ballot has changed because of this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom