• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Burruni

Smash Hero
Wait...Isn't she a Touhou character?
Yes, she is.
Yes.
Touhou being the indie series to end indie series when it comes to scale of fans who manage to translate out games in matter of weeks or even days and large enough to have literally hundreds of fan games and countless videos crossing it with damn near everything (but is 100% PC).

And of the two main protagonists, Marisa is far more fantastic than Reimu.

Like I said, want, not any damn chance xD

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Yes.
Touhou being the indie series to end indie series when it comes to scale of fans who manage to translate out games in matter of weeks or even days and large enough to have literally hundreds of fan games and countless videos crossing it with damn near everything (but is 100% PC).

And of the two main protagonists, Marisa is far more fantastic than Reimu.

Like I said, want, not any damn chance xD
Reimu would be a great character to represent the Touhou franchise in smash.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Reimu would be a great character to represent the Touhou franchise in smash.
Reimu'd be great, but as she's got one game more as a protagonist (which was PC-98, which ZUN wholly ignores at this point) but Marisa being a more popular character out of the two gives her more of an edge.

BACK TO SHANTAE THOUGH.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
On the subject of other indies, Quote is probably the only other "realistic" choice as Cave Story has only been ported to Nintendo consoles and it's got a pretty big fan base in Japan. As for what people have been actually seem to want, the only other one I've seen outside of Shantae, Shovel Knight, Quote, Yooka-Laylee, and Beck is Lilac from Freedom Planet. Lucky for us, the only other indie that's still going "strong" with support is Shovel Knight.
Marie Poppo, anyone? poppoppoppo poppo
plsno, I don't want her stealing my money in smash either ; _ ;

MachRider94

Smash Rookie
NNID
MachRider94
3DS FC
5198-2646-6379
I must support her in Smash! SHANTAE UNITE!

Last edited:

Atown1z

Smash Rookie
Maybe Quote from Cave Story? I'm surprised at the little support for him.
He only had one game that has been ported a lot, and it is more than 10 years old at this point. Shovel Knight is brand new, and Shantae may be a little older than Quote, but she has had more games, including one that was just released and one on the way. It makes sense based on that that people forget about Quote sometimes.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Hoo boy, comparing the indie frontrunners again. I could go on a long spiel about each one's merits and demerits...

...In fact, thanks to the ~*magic*~ of spoiler tags to make my post less of a block of text, I think I will!

Shovel Knight had the blessed luck to be released just a few months before Super Smash Bros. U/3DS. Work on post-release content continues to this day, and there have also been releases on new gaming platforms, so Shovel Knight continues to be relevant and will be for a long time to come. But alas, that timely release is as much of a blessing as it is a curse... the main argument you'll hear against Shovel Knight is that he's too new to be included in something as large-scale as Smash, which is somewhat true: Shovel Knight has only been around for a year and (while the localization is planned) won't see an official release in Japan for a while yet, so the first exposure Shovel Knight had to the important Japanese audience was through the Fighter Ballot, which doesn't amount to much if he has no notable Japanese following going into the ballot.
Released way back in late-2004, Cave Story was the freeware brainchild of a one-man development team that ended up being such a hit that Nintendo and Nicalis couldn't help but cash in on it. Ask most people of the day what a good indie game is, and Cave Story will usually be their reply. But what does that mean for Quote's chances in Smash? Well... his iconic status, while a big thing, is all he has going for him, really. There's only so long that a game can be considered "new", and try as they might, Nicalis' remasterings of the original game aren't going to change that. Indeed, stagnation is the major obstacle between Quote and Smash, because outside of remastering there hasn't really been anything new to the "series". While Quote has followers in both the American and Japanese fandoms, it took the Fighter Ballot to remind everyone that he still existed, which doesn't bode well for the little robot.
Shantae's titular character has ended up in a bizarre mish-mash of both of the above situations. On the up-side: she has Shovel Knight's relevancy with a recent entry into her series and another game in production, and she has a bigger helping of Quote's legacy in predating him by two years, giving her the distinction of being the oldest known and notable Indie character, all with a long-standing series that is still going strong. On the down-side: she shares Shovel Knight's Japanese situation with localization for one or two of her games being planned but not yet completed, alienating her from the Japanese fanbase (though unlike Shovel Knight, she does have some Japanese following despite this). Though while Shantae realistically has a leg-up over both Quote and Shovel Knight in most categories, obscurity is where she falls short: support for Shantae in the ballot only really kicked off when enough people learned who she was, an unfortunate effect of her first GBC game (regardless of how good it was) being released towards the tail-end of the GBC's life cycle. This is becoming less of a problem in recent days thanks to WayForward's PR and the fanbase's vocality, but whether it will be enough remains to be seen.

The short version: Shovel Knight vs. Quote vs. Shantae ultimately comes down to a battle of Relevant vs. Iconic vs. Long-Lived, or if you're looking at the negatives, Too New vs. Stagnant vs. Obscure. Were I to choose between the three though, I'd almost certainly give it to Shantae because that obscurity has been gradually evaporating as of late, and fan support for her was and still is going stronger than for the other two.

This being said though, any Indie character getting into Smash is still going to be very difficult with the "Indie" stigma they have and the tons of stiff competition they face. Is it possible though? I think so. It'd be one hell of a Cinderella story, but I think it's possible.

Last edited:

Mighty Minotaur

Smash Cadet
Hey guys! I practically made an account on this website (Like, five seconds ago) just to show my support for Shantae being in Smash Bros.! So, cheers!

And while my vote, bar none, goes to Shantae, I do believe that it would be pretty neat to see Inkling(s), Rayman, Banjo & Kazooie, and even King K. Rool in Smash! (As you can tell, I'm all for newcomers! Not like I have anything against Veterans, of course. :D)

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Hey guys! I practically made an account on this website (Like, five seconds ago) just to show my support for Shantae being in Smash Bros.! So, cheers!

And while my vote, bar none, goes to Shantae, I do believe that it would be pretty neat to see Inkling(s), Rayman, Banjo & Kazooie, and even King K. Rool in Smash! (As you can tell, I'm all for newcomers! Not like I have anything against Veterans, of course. :D)
Welcome to the Group!! :)

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730

Welcome to the #ShantaeForSmash Club Thread, friend!
jSncElT Shantae card.png

Solo Bolo

Smash Rookie
After much lurking, I figured I'd at least make an account to show my support too. Finished up the first game and Risky's Revenge, and Shantae's definitely the one on the top of my list to be included.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

Welcome, hope you enjoy it here on Smashboards. Also, I heard you'd like Rayman as well, threads a plenty with him included too. Hope to see you again in that one. :)

After much lurking, I figured I'd at least make an account to show my support too. Finished up the first game and Risky's Revenge, and Shantae's definitely the one on the top of my list to be included.
Another supporter, welcome to the thread and to Smashboards. :)

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Kind of want to throw this out there, but along with Shantae what others characters would you guys like to see make it in smash?
Other than Shantae? Hm... hard to say really, I was mostly satisfied when I got Lucas back.

If veteran characters are allowed, I'd probably say the Ice Climbers, because if it weren't for the (possibly fixable) 3DS issue then they never should've been cut in the first place.

If not, then I'd probably say Tharja from Fire Emblem: Awakening, because Nintendo removed her trophy for being too sexy and having to put her back in as a playable character would be worth it just for the hilarity that would follow. (Fun fact: Tharja was my first vote in the ballot for exactly this reason before I found a character (Shantae) worth getting behind.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It isn't a new game.
It's the old game with DLC added.
Still, it proves that Shovel Knight's gonna get more spotlight to the largest audience, which means more popularity gains for him, endangering Shantae's.

On one way, I'm happy for Shovel Knight's fans, but on another, it irks me that other indies get overshadowed by it, especially WayForward's games, which, despite having much longer longevity that Shovel Knight, don't get as much recognition, not to mention when you remember that Yacht Club Games is founded by a former WayForward employee.

EDIT : @ Warlock*G Warlock*G , my bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Still, it proves that Shovel Knight's gonna get more spotlight to the largest audience, which means more popularity gains for him, endangering Shantae's.

On one way, I'm happy for Shovel Knight's fans, but on another, it irks me that other indies get overshadowed by it, especially WayForward's games, which, despite having much longer longevity that Shovel Knight, don't get as much recognition, not to mention when you remember that Yacht Club Games is founded by a former WayForward employee.
Read carefully:
My Nintendo News said:
The game is coming [sic] North America on October 13th and to Europe on October 16th.
Meaning, by the time the game hits retail, the Smash ballot will be over.

Top Bottom