• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
It's because people are sheep; he's really Flavor of the Month and the Amiibo was seen as a major deal (which I'm not saying it isn't). There's also the fact that Yacht Club Games so heavily played up the retro-nostalgia factor in the game.
OR MAYBE, because they like the gameplay? They like the game?... Like what it has to offer?... Shovel Knight has a fanbase, just like we do...

PLEASE do not use that term... I get super SICK of seeing that term. Being a fan of something doesn't make you a "sheep". The term "sheep", has been applied to many fanbases to be honest. It could be applied to shantae's, it could be applied to smash... and it could be applied to what you like.

People seriously need to drop down from political slander land, and think like a gamer.. We're gamers, not politicians, slandering each other..

I am all for these campaigns, and love the mystery on who could get in... but when I see people start foundlessly trashing fanbases over it, it just kills it personally...

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice

I'm hurt. I said that wasn't what my post was meant for. It wasn't an insult, it was an apt description about how people behave concerning trending things. It was meant to be from an objective point of view.

At the risk of this becoming any more volatile, I'm out.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord

I'm hurt. I said that wasn't what my post was meant for. It wasn't an insult, it was an apt description about people behave concerning trending things. It was meant to be from an objective point of view.

At the risk of this becoming any more volatile, I'm out.
Sorry... I just get SO sick of seeing that term thrown around... pretty much everywhere in general. "Sheep" this. "Sheep" that. "Blindly following" this. "Blindly following" that..

I hate it, because "trolls" use it. People that hate certain fanbases use it.. Unless you are either of these terms, I highly recommend not using these terms, as you WILL get called out for them (like I did earlier).. You seem fairly nice, so it seems like it was a misunderstanding...

However, just remember that this is the internet. Ya always have to watch your wording on here, or you'll get snapped at.. no matter what view point you might actually have on a subject. Sorry I bit your head off.

Incase you doubt what I mean by that, let me just quote one instance of why I hate the term... this is just randomly from one of the various instances..:

"Nintendo fans are basically all just mindless sheep going towards the slaughter tbh"

So yeaah... THAT is why I snapped.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Just a note, it's easy for words on the internet to be misinterpreted, that doesn't justify snapping at someone, maybe you didn't understand what they meant. It's best not to assume too much.

I think it's fine to compare characters based on their merits, even if it's a lot of opinion (so long as we can be discuss calmly, ya know?).

Shovel Knight is Bland, both in the gameplay and the character (incl, personality, etc). Shantae has more interesting gameplay (this is opinion, but if you look at it enough, isn't it obvious?), but especially much more flair and personality in her character :)
Not everyone puts as much weight for personality in characters, but why have something bland? Shantae and how much Fun she could be! And she has such diverse potential for interesting moves.

I'm open to hearing how Shovel Knight is interesting besides the retro feel, it's just not obvious..

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
People think I'm into Shantae just for the cute girls.

Little do they know of the handsomest beast in all the land.
image.jpg

...That, and I tend to feel bad for Bolo.

I swear, he's somehow lower than Luigi on the underdog scale.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Just a note, it's easy for words on the internet to be misinterpreted, that doesn't justify snapping at someone, maybe you didn't understand what they meant. It's best not to assume too much.

I think it's fine to compare characters based on their merits, even if it's a lot of opinion (so long as we can be discuss calmly, ya know?).

Shovel Knight is Bland, both in the gameplay and the character (incl, personality, etc). Shantae has more interesting gameplay (this is opinion, but if you look at it enough, isn't it obvious?), but especially much more flair and personality in her character :)
Not everyone puts as much weight for personality in characters, but why have something bland? Shantae and how much Fun she could be! And she has such diverse potential for interesting moves.

I'm open to hearing how Shovel Knight is interesting besides the retro feel, it's just not obvious..
Yeah... I mostly just saw the word, sheep, and that statement in general, and it just pissed me off..

As I stated, it was a misunderstanding...

I am just too used to seeing detractors and what not bashing a character, or a community.. and I am often quick to deflect them, when I do see them.

I myself, am not for any particular character. I like Shantae, and would love to see her in.. and she is the one I hope for the most.. but I also support many other campaigns, and not just this one. That is often why I often try to defend other campaigns on here when they're thrown into a bad light.. especially if the argument is biased/unfounded.

You're right. Words do get misinterpreted. I just prefer that those words don't get noticed by parrots..

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
People think I'm into Shantae just for the cute girls.

Little do they know of the handsomest beast in all the land.
View attachment 71478

...That, and I tend to feel bad for Bolo.

I swear, he's somehow lower than Luigi on the underdog scale.
I feel kind of bad too. From what I've seen of Bolo, he seems to really be the "Krillin" of the Shantae series. (And no, I'm not saying this as any way to say Goku should be in Smash, I'm only pointing this out.)

LittleToys

Smash Cadet
I feel kind of bad too. From what I've seen of Bolo, he seems to really be the "Krillin" of the Shantae series. (And no, I'm not saying this as any way to say Goku should be in Smash, I'm only pointing this out.)
I would compare him to larry butz haha

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Welp, it's officially one month away til the end of the ballot guys I hope for this last month we can push hard to show that Shantae is a great character to be put in Smash Bros. So spread the word and tell everybody #Shantae4Smash.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I am just too used to seeing detractors and what not bashing a character, or a community.. and I am often quick to deflect them, when I do see them..
I think it's all good.
In the end we just support what we think is best, and like, and try to make sense of why others think differently.. :p
ah, to be human..

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
From another Instagram artist that I bugged about Shantae, here's a painting from Nintendo_n_such. 20"x16" Acrylic on Canvas. The artist has told me he picked up Pirate's Curse and absolutely loves it.
image.jpg

By the way, you can actually buy this, if you'd like.

(55$ USD)

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
From another Instagram artist that I bugged about Shantae, here's a painting from Nintendo_n_such. 20"x16" Acrylic on Canvas. The artist has told me he picked up Pirate's Curse and absolutely loves it.
View attachment 71529
By the way, you can actually buy this, if you'd like.
Damn that looks great and listening to the Pirate's Curse soundtrack and We Love Burning Town my god I can't stop listening to it, I seriously hope if our girl makes it in I hope she has this a theme for her stage (if she gets one) I would to play Smash Run with it playing in the background~

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Wayforward's fantastic track record should have other companies backing them to put Shantae in Smash. Konami had them make Contra 4 and a Silent Hill title, which were fantastic, and Capcom were very interested in the GBC game, not to mention that Ducktales Remastered did well.

Shantae, Snake and/or Pichu are made to hold us over until the ballot characters are finished. Calling it now.

Damn that looks great and listening to the Pirate's Curse soundtrack and We Love Burning Town my god I can't stop listening to it, I seriously hope if our girl makes it in I hope she has this a theme for her stage (if she gets one) I would to play Smash Run with it playing in the background~
The orchestral version of Dance Through the Danger is fantastic.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Has anyone made one of those "Who I mained, what I expected, what I got" memes for Shantae yet?

It'd be fun to see what we could come up with.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
THIS THREAD ALMOST DOUBLED IN MY HAITUS
GOOD JOB GUYS!

Edit: I actually have a moveset I'll be typing up earlier, and I'm expecting some feedback!

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I really do hope all these peices come together for Shantae to get in Smash.

Nintendo allowing Wayforward to port Shantae and Xtreme Sports onto Virtual Console, Wayforward's good affiliations with Capcom and Konami, her cameo in WarioWare D.I.Y, all the love from Nintendo Power, all the ads and representation on the eShop because of their succesful titles on Nintendo's digital game services, her mysterious absence in Runbow, despite 13AM wanting her in and Nintendo being in charge of adding those other Indie characters...

It has to mean something.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I really do hope all these peices come together for Shantae to get in Smash.

Nintendo allowing Wayforward to port Shantae and Xtreme Sports onto Virtual Console, Wayforward's good affiliations with Capcom and Konami, her cameo in WarioWare D.I.Y, all the love from Nintendo Power, all the ads and representation on the eShop because of their succesful titles on Nintendo's digital game services, her mysterious absence in Runbow, despite 13AM wanting her in and Nintendo being in charge of adding those other Indie characters...

It has to mean something.
I...........really, REALLY hope this means something. I REALLY hope it does.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
On the topic of Indie games staring girls who attack enemies with their purple hair and their precense on Nintendo consoles, Freedom Planet finally found the game breaking bug in the WiiU release and will announce a release date soon.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
After the Shantae Amiibo, these need to be merchandise:

>Shantae Hat (Purple hat with Shantae ponytail sticking in the back)
>Ammo Army Hat (Like the one Joe is wearing)
>Shantae plushies and action figures.
>Shantae-themed Belly Dancing instruction DVDs

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
After the Shantae Amiibo, these need to be merchandise:

>Shantae Hat (Purple hat with Shantae ponytail sticking in the back)
>Ammo Army Hat (Like the one Joe is wearing)
>Shantae plushies and action figures.
>Shantae-themed Belly Dancing instruction DVDs
I would totally buy plushies! A cuddly Shantae and Rottytops! How could you go wrong?

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I would totally buy plushies! A cuddly Shantae and Rottytops! How could you go wrong?
If there were plushies, I think this would be the lineup:
-Shantae
-Pirate Shantae
-Rottytops
-Sky (And Wrench)
-Bolo
-Risky
-Tinkerbat
-Squid Baron

I typed "Shantae Plushie" in Google. I found this.

More of these, please Wayforward.
GIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIE

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well there's plush Shovel Knights and Plush Trouple Kings so it's not out of the question.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
If Shantae action figures happened, I'd prefer them to be made by a company that produces figures for collectors, and have them sold in shops that sell gaming collectables, like a Comic Book or Anime store. I'd rather have them be high-quality, and wouldn't mind the higher price tag, over cheap figures that poorly made.

Also, I'd rather have them be made and distributed like that because don't want figures of Shantae & friends torn off the shelves because of the wal-mart stalking, easily offended parents of modern-day society, sheilding their children's eyes and whining about Wayforward on twitter, just because they saw Shantae's outfit and ignore what culture she's based on.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
If Shantae action figures happened, I'd prefer them to be made by a company that produces figures for collectors, and have them sold in shops that sell gaming collectables, like a Comic Book or Anime store. I'd rather have them be high-quality, and wouldn't mind the higher price tag, over cheap figures that poorly made.

Also, I'd rather have them be made and distributed like that because don't want figures of Shantae & friends torn off the shelves because of the wal-mart stalking, easily offended parents of modern-day society, sheilding their children's eyes and whining about Wayforward on twitter, just because they saw Shantae's outfit and ignore what culture she's based on.
NECA or Funko would be fairly good choices. I have Funko's Legacy Rocketeer figure and he's totally awesome.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
NECA or Funko would be fairly good choices. I have Funko's Legacy Rocketeer figure and he's totally awesome.
NECA, Funko, Sideshow... I think KidRobot could make something cute with Shantae, too...

What if Goodsmile made a SHANTAE NENDOROID?!
Quick, help me shovel coal into the hype train's engine.

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
What if Goodsmile made a SHANTAE NENDOROID?!
OMG!! That would make my heart melt with all the cuteness it would bring. I highly agree with this idea. I actually recently started collecting Nendoroids starting with Wind Waker Link, Sonic, & Miku.

I already preordered Majora's Mask Link, Megaman, Kirby & Matoi.

And I can't wait for Marth to come out.

But besides all of that Shantae would be a amazing Nendoroid and since its not out of the realm of possibility since Good Smile does Western themed Nendoroids like Batman, Joker, Ironman, or Darth Vader

You know what, I'm gonna tweet this idea to Matt Bozon.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
OMG!! That would make my heart melt with all the cuteness it would bring. I highly agree with this idea. I actually recently started collecting Nendoroids starting with Wind Waker Link, Sonic, & Miku.

I already preordered Majora's Mask Link, Megaman, Kirby & Matoi.

And I can't wait for Marth to come out.

But besides all of that Shantae would be a amazing Nendoroid and since its not out of the realm of possibility since Good Smile does Western themed Nendoroids like Batman, Joker, Ironman, or Darth Vader

You know what, I'm gonna tweet this idea to Matt Bozon.
................ OH MY FREAKING GOD! GIMME EVERYTHING NAO! O_O SONIC, MIKU, KIRBY, TOON LINK!

Last edited:
Top Bottom