• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Well, at the same time I can agree that it's good for characters to be true to their gameplay.. but that isn't always the case. There are several examples of characters using moves in ways they don't normally work in their games after all.

Some example:

Mario:
The fact he can throw fireballs without even needing a fire flower

Pokemon

-The fact pokemon can use "moves" and attacks indefinitely without PP

Kirby: All of his "transformations" consist of copying the various smash fighters, rather than his actual copy abilities

Not even going to mention the numerous amount of characters who have a moveset pulled out of thin air..

(Looking at you Falcon XD)

Basically put, though it is nice when fighters are as accurate to a character as possible, there are always going to be instances where there will be various moves and aspects of a fighter that aren't possible in the game they come from...

So in all honesty, I wouldn't really be all that surprised if Shantae could go in and out of her transformations in the blink of an eye in Smash... I mean, if other fighters can bend the rules with how their mechanics normally operate, I don't see how she wouldn't be able to do it either.

I bet she would be on an average weight.. That hair just has to weigh her down ya know :troll:
image.jpg

I knew that I'd need this.

Matt is hands down my favorite person in gaming.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Hey guys, I've been working on a new poster for my college's game club, and I would like some feedback before I print it out, what do you guys think?

(I actually have the wrong color mode, I'll have that fixed)
Wow, that looks good. I really like Mario, Megaman, Sonic, and Shantae(of course)! Oh heck with it, all of them look fantastic! Ya did a fine job Wademan94, a fine job.

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
Hey guys, I've been working on a new poster for my college's game club, and I would like some feedback before I print it out, what do you guys think?

That looks awesome man! Keep up the good work!

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
I crave a Half-Genie Hero update...

Time flies on the hype train.
Maybe we'll get a Half-Genie Hero update when Shantae is confirmed for Smash. Y'know, so Wayforward can make another Smash pun... and a link to the reveal trailer.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master

When looking at just the silhouettes with the eyes cut out, it's quite impressive how well Shantae's design meshes with the more cartoony side of Smash Bros (my preferred side of Smash) where Ryu there sticks out like a sore thumb.

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice

I love it! I think Snake should be there as well. I know he's cut, but he still is a 3rd party that's been in Smash. But other than that, this is fantastic. I really do love this art. I hope Shantae gets in so bad.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I was planning on making a Shantae x Freedom Planet crossover crowd drawing. Since I have an instagram, where not a lot of gaming pages hang around (unless you're making mobile titles), does anyone here mind posting it to twitter with text I also made?

From the Shantae side, Shantae, Rotty, Sky, and Bolo will be on the left. On FP's side, Lilac, Carol, Milla, and Torque will be on the right. We need more exposure for the Nindie girl stars!

cringes at accidentally making a double post

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
The tiger transformation might possibly be back for Half-Genie Hero. Most people here probably already know this, but it was among a handful of animal forms that backers (I think) could vote for. Honestly, I'm really hoping that's the one picked; Tiger Shantae looks cute, and it would kind of remind me of one of my favorite video game characters. Someone that transforms between human and wildcat.

About Freedom Planet, I just recently found out that Cobanermani456 happened to do a short video on the game. It does seem interesting and I've been looking to pick up one or two new games, but I'm wondering if it's worth $15 as far as indies go.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
The tiger transformation might possibly be back for Half-Genie Hero. Most people here probably already know this, but it was among a handful of animal forms that backers (I think) could vote for. Honestly, I'm really hoping that's the one picked; Tiger Shantae looks cute, and it would kind of remind me of one of my favorite video game characters. Someone that transforms between human and wildcat.

About Freedom Planet, I just recently found out that Cobanermani456 happened to do a short video on the game. It does seem interesting and I've been looking to pick up one or two new games, but I'm wondering if it's worth $15 as far as indies go.
That's the average price for indies. It's cheaper if you got the Nindies@Home demo. Also, remember that Pirate's Curse is 20$.

After Sonic boomed, I'd happily pay more than what Freedom Planet is asking for.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

Have they said how many transformations there will be? Confirmed thus far, to my knowledge, are monkey, crab, mermaid, and spider. I'm honestly hoping for harpy to make a comeback.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master

These are the options in the backer poll. I like the idea of the bat, because that would open up for unique level design that makes you focus on free range flight and using sonar to guide yourself through obstacles. The other three options don't feel like they'd force more unique level design, compared to what the others already do.

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai

I posted a video talking about whether or not we should be afriad of Mii Fighter costumes. And whether or not Amiibos really confirm anything. Plus I think the Shantae picture I found for it was perfect.

I attempt to plug Shantae in each of my videos.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I don't really see how Shantae could ...work, as a Mii Costume.

For most of the ones we have, most of them can be unisex, with only a couple of them being a little silly (like Daisy's hair and crown on a male Mii)

A Shantae Mii Costume on an obviously male Mii would be mite disturbing.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
So Zenox on twitter decided to point out the art for the cover of the Nintendo Power issue that revealed Pirate's Curse to Matt Bozon, who apparently drew it. Chris Hoffman, one of the staff of NP and a good friend of Matt, also decided to butt in on the discussion.

I think now would be an absolutely great time to start really using Shantae and Wayforward's constant love from the magazine as an argument to support Shantae for Smash, and possibly ask the former NP staff if they'd like to see Shantae in the game after all the hard work they did promoting Wayforward. Even nowadays, on "Power Pros", the podcast Chris Hoffman and Slate work on together, Hoffman brings up Shantae and Wayforward every now and again.

image.jpg

Speaking of art, I try to ask artists I follow on Instagram every now and again if they can try drawing Shantae. They usually enjoy it.

image.jpg

This is from RodKomet.

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Woah. Everyone, on Twitter I just was able to get the attention of a semi-popular Youtuber in an attempt to get his thoughts on a quick look at a Shantae game. I didn't open up with that question right away, he just replied and it was then that I brought up Shantae.

I don't know how likely it is for him to try out as he might worry about it not really appealing to the majority of his viewerbase, one of his main concerns for a while, so it's not like this is some massive breakthrough for us yet. But it's still something. He does know Etika, though. I'll keep everyone posted if something happens.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
By the way, @ Children0fTheStars Children0fTheStars , in case you wanted to try Freedom Planet, there's a free demo of it on the game's website, It runs great on almost any computer and has a lot more content than the Wii U demo.

(I say this because he wanted to try the demo and the crossover drawing is currently in progress)

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
October 3rd, 2015.

"There. I put Shantae, Shovel Knight, and Prof. Layton in Smash, so you guys can have something to be salty about while I actually start developing K. Rool with the Ballot ending as an excuse.

I'm retiring after this, because you all want Pichu back for some reason, and Melee fanboys are turning Nintendo's mailroom into a dump."

-Masahiro Sakurai

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's really tight between Shantae and Shovel knight in the poll-type thing I mentioned. Dunno who's gonna win.

I'm surprised shovel knight has such a big following, I kinda like Shovel knight, but it's nothing too special.. it has a cool retro feel, but any way you look at it Shantae as a lot more going for her (and the games) :)

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
It's really tight between Shantae and Shovel knight in the poll-type thing I mentioned. Dunno who's gonna win.

I'm surprised shovel knight has such a big following, I kinda like Shovel knight, but it's nothing too special.. it has a cool retro feel, but any way you look at it Shantae as a lot more going for her (and the games) :)
Shovel Knight's fun, I'll give it that.

At the end of the day, that's what matters in a game most sometimes.

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'm hoping I was able to get my message across for the Youtuber in question, but because Twitter's UI is balls I don't know for sure. I did get his attention, so time will tell. If he likes my idea, what he would do is make a short video, around 15-30 minutes, showcasing the game he chooses (I told him to check out PC or Risky's Revenge).

It's because people are sheep; he's really Flavor of the Month and the Amiibo was seen as a major deal (which I'm not saying it isn't). There's also the fact that Yacht Club Games so heavily played up the retro-nostalgia factor in the game.

This isn't meant to tear down people that like Shovel Knight... it's just that it's really hard to justify him getting recognition in Smash Bros. before Shantae, someone with a longer and more meaningful history with Nintendo (and we're probably starting to sound like a broken record with this fact, but I feel like it should be emphasized as much as possible), and especially when he just received an Amiibo already.

October 3rd, 2015.

"There. I put Shantae, Shovel Knight, and Prof. Layton in Smash, so you guys can have something to be salty about while I actually start developing K. Rool with the Ballot ending as an excuse.

I'm retiring after this, because you all want Pichu back for some reason, and Melee fanboys are turning Nintendo's mailroom into a dump."

-Masahiro Sakurai
This should happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom