• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I'm still with the idea that her B-move should let her transform into animals with their simple attacks for a limited time or until they're canceled (preferably with the option to go into another attack, since cancels are awesome), while her other B-Moves are her magic, and her normal moves are based on her hair whip, pirate gear, and physical stuff.

Remember, they have Giga Bowser and Wario-Man as separate models from their owner. I don't see how a few simple transformations can hurt.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Unfortunately, from what I've heard lately, a lot of Japanese fans REALLY seem to prefer veterans.. infact in a lot of polls done where they do get input, veterans often make the top list quite surprisingly frequently..

Yeeaah, the Japanese loove their cut Vets XD. As you might guess, this one was taken from when Lucas wasn't announced as DLC at the time.

Most I have heard come up that get a considerable mention, would be K. Rool.. (then again, that guy is a powerhouse in general in this.)

Personally, in terms of DLC.. not to step on anyone's mains, but... as I have expressed in the past, I REALLY hate the idea of Veteran DLC... It's mostly due to the fact that I've already seen em before. I've seen how they play, and I have experienced them before. I would much rather have new blood... A DLC line-up full of nearly all cut veterans would... disappoint me to be honest. (and before anyone brings up the "they can be reworked" argument... when has that come into play before so far? Mewtwo works fairly the same, Lucas works fairly the same... Roy works fairly the same. (Save for final smashes.. assuming they didn't have one.).. I have yet to see a single Veteran that has returned as DLC get a full blown moveset rework.. and to be honest, I just think they don't want to. Why would you go to all that trouble to do a years worth of work to give them a brand new moveset, when you can just work off of what they already have and improve that?.. (which, they of course have done with Mew2, Lucas, and Roy.. I mean, I'm not saying they are bad characters here. I just mean they haven't had a DRAMATIC change from when they were first introduced to Smash bros.)..)

I mean, I don't mind Veterans returning in sequels. I like seeing some familiar faces in that regard... I just don't like the idea of a DLC line up being OVER RUN with the dang things... especially when it's "paid" DLC...
That poll (if I'm thinking of the right one) was from right after the start of the ballot, and was not very large. @PushDustIn recently put this article out on Source Gaming about his research into Japanese ballot preferences, and is working on a part 2 with more data. If you read his Q&A, you'll see that he is counting "mentions" and assigning more or less points per mention based on the nature of the mention. From what I understand, the reason for this is that they looked high and low and just could not find any polls to draw on. I am clueless as to why this would be if the ballot were even half as popular over there as it is over here. (By the way, in case anyone skims that article, he mentions that he is still working through early ballot results, so his findings in that article might not reflect later developments.)

Is GameFaqs a very popular forum? Every time I see a thread from there, it looks like a cesspool for trolls.

lmao actually I just looked through it again looking at usernames and realized how little support OP was getting from anybody else. Pretty much everybody sided with @ dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10 and @ B Black-magic13 against him. Nice job guys.

You beat me to this, but I was going to bring this up as well. Yes, it is a good game and the most current and well-known one, but I honestly think that if people saw Shantae using mostly pirate equipment and they were unfamiliar with her character, it would probably send the wrong message. Again, she's a half-Genie, so I too would much rather her have far more of a focus on her magic than the pirate weapons/gear.

That said, I'm not saying there should be none of the items. One or two would probably be fine, like maybe Risky's hat for her recovery Special. But personally... I have to say I really hope her moveset doesn't include the cutlass for various reasons. I wouldn't want Sakurai to get the wrong idea and think she's a sword-user.
I can't imagine in a million years that Sakurai would make Shantae of all charaters another sword user. He knows way better than that. However I do really want her dair to be that scimitar move from Pirate's Curse.

My personal feeling is still that genie transformations as regular moves would feel awkward and not true to the source. Say her side b would be a transformation into an elephant, a charge forward, and then a transformation back. Would she just transform instantly without dancing first? I think that would be sending the wrong message to gamers not familiar with her, because that would totally misrepresent how her transformations work in her games.

Plus as I said I think it would be really awkward. If she doesn't initiate them by dancing, what kind of transformation animation would take place then? How long would it take? A transformation animation just to throw out one attack would take way too long. I also have no idea what would happen if she got hit by an attack that out-prioritized her during a transformation move. Would she instantly revert back to normal form as soon as the hit registered? Since the transformations are different sizes from her, and she can't exactly go through a proper transformation animation back if she gets knocked out of the move, where exactly does she re-appear if she gets attacked in a different form with a hurtbox that doesn't match her normal shape at all?

In an ideal world her transformations would work the same way they do in Risky's Revenge: down b could be belly dance, and releasing it during different moves would correspond to different transformations, that would each last 10-15 seconds. However I'm pretty sure the 3DS couldn't handle that, so I'd prefer to see transformations reserved for a final smash instead.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Did they say how many gigs was Half Genie Hero?

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
I'd think going the Shantae GBC route and just make Smash attacks different dances that transform her into an animal could work.
And personally I think it fits. The problem with different models being used for a character isn't that they're new models, it's the possibility that the player may be able to control said model as a character. That's a huge slap on the time spender list if you think about it. You have to not only animate them, but you have to put quite a bit of data there just to make sure each model functions correctly. The reason why the pikmin or luma work so well above the ice climbers, even on the 3DS, is that they don't have to work like a player character. The transformations for Shantae, realistically and financially speaking, could be even less than that tbh. As long as they do their things quick and simply, say, like Zelda's phantom knight, they're perfectly in line.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
After many, MANY, months, i have finally returned.

I have two more days off and i'll try to update as much as possible. Apologies for how everything went. Real life problems and all that take priority after all.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Keep in mind Sakurai went out of his way to use the classic versions of Mega Man and Pac Man when several more recent renditions were readily available. He even threatened Namco about using the most recent version of Pac Man about not including him if he had to use the rendition that originated out of a game.

That being said I would honestly expect most of her moves to involve her hair and her magic. Transformations are out, sadly, unless you do a quick one-move-form. Like her Up Special turning into a bat for recovery and turning back into Shantae when she finishes the move, like Pac Man does. Or like a down smash turning into a Siren and knocking foes back with a sonic scream (I don't know if Siren is actually a form or if it is then what it does, that was just a hypothetical example).

So while transforming can happen, to a very small degree, as in very simplistic transformations for the purpose of a specific move that reverts back to the normal form once it ends.

That said, I have full confidence Sakurai could make a transformation-free Shantae moveset without using any material from Pirate's Curse. Not to mention if Sakurai asked for it, WayForward would gladly and very readily allow Sakurai to play early versions of Half-Genie Hero for moveset ideas, seeings how it's going to come out either just before or just after the Ballot ends and it would be very recent, possibly even cross promotion going on.
Not even going to lie, I would actually WANT the one-transformation-per-special-move gimmick to stay like that for Shantae, even IF the 3DS didn't limit transformations to begin with. Keep them to a limited degree, for specials, and MAYBE taunts.

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
That poll (if I'm thinking of the right one) was from right after the start of the ballot, and was not very large. @PushDustIn recently put this article out on Source Gaming about his research into Japanese ballot preferences, and is working on a part 2 with more data. If you read his Q&A, you'll see that he is counting "mentions" and assigning more or less points per mention based on the nature of the mention. From what I understand, the reason for this is that they looked high and low and just could not find any polls to draw on. I am clueless as to why this would be if the ballot were even half as popular over there as it is over here. (By the way, in case anyone skims that article, he mentions that he is still working through early ballot results, so his findings in that article might not reflect later developments.)

Is GameFaqs a very popular forum? Every time I see a thread from there, it looks like a cesspool for trolls.

lmao actually I just looked through it again looking at usernames and realized how little support OP was getting from anybody else. Pretty much everybody sided with @ dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10 and @ B Black-magic13 against him. Nice job guys.

I can't imagine in a million years that Sakurai would make Shantae of all charaters another sword user. He knows way better than that. However I do really want her dair to be that scimitar move from Pirate's Curse.

My personal feeling is still that genie transformations as regular moves would feel awkward and not true to the source. Say her side b would be a transformation into an elephant, a charge forward, and then a transformation back. Would she just transform instantly without dancing first? I think that would be sending the wrong message to gamers not familiar with her, because that would totally misrepresent how her transformations work in her games.

Plus as I said I think it would be really awkward. If she doesn't initiate them by dancing, what kind of transformation animation would take place then? How long would it take? A transformation animation just to throw out one attack would take way too long. I also have no idea what would happen if she got hit by an attack that out-prioritized her during a transformation move. Would she instantly revert back to normal form as soon as the hit registered? Since the transformations are different sizes from her, and she can't exactly go through a proper transformation animation back if she gets knocked out of the move, where exactly does she re-appear if she gets attacked in a different form with a hurtbox that doesn't match her normal shape at all?

In an ideal world her transformations would work the same way they do in Risky's Revenge: down b could be belly dance, and releasing it during different moves would correspond to different transformations, that would each last 10-15 seconds. However I'm pretty sure the 3DS couldn't handle that, so I'd prefer to see transformations reserved for a final smash instead.
Thank you.when I saw him I was like you just made your account and you're starting s*** already like damn lol.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master

Anytime.

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Also, was bored at work today, thought up a Final Smash for Shantae. A curtain drops behind the stage an music starts. Shantae dances to the rhythm of your button presses and the better your timing, the more gems get thrown at your opponents before it ends in a magical explosion, then Shantae takes a bow.
Actually..... I already had posted a Final Smash like that before. If you are interested check out this link to my DeviantArt page for a whole moveset idea I made with another guy: http://twinkledoodle.deviantart.com/art/Shantae-s-Moveset-553081363

dangeraaron10

Smash Master

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
So, i'd like to know, anything really smash related happen since i was gone?

Any rumors fakes and the like? Because i'm a little lost right now.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

Shantae and Layton were temporarily thought confirmed because some nutjob added them to Smash's IMDB page. Shovel Knight was rumored to be coming to Smash and getting an amiibo, but just the amiibo came true.

Actually..... I already had posted a Final Smash like that before. If you are interested check out this link to my DeviantArt page for a whole moveset idea I made with another guy: http://twinkledoodle.deviantart.com/art/Shantae-s-Moveset-553081363
Nice moveset. I'd like to see the animals as more than taunts, but they'd have to be instant transformations which takes a bit of the coolness out of it. But if they could find a way...
Neutral Special-Fireball/Spider Venom
Side Special-Monkey Bullet
Up Special-Harpy Talon
Down Special-Elephant Stomp.

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice

A huge rumor of shovel knight being in smash cane out cause he recently got an amibo , I saw on a site that said they have one but it wasn't from Nintendo something . sadly haven't heard anything about shantae other than she isn't in the runbow game thats coming out and it can possible mean she is due for something bigger in Nintendo's world (hopefully smash). the leak about shantae and her voice actress has been repeated with professor Layton and people were freaking out a bit. And now there is a rumor that September 13 we supposed to get a update for possibly a character due to something with an anniversary and the maintenance of smash online for Wii u an 3ds. That's all I know so far.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Glad to be back. I have a lot of work ahead of me right now. Especially with this thread. lol

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Shantae and Layton were temporarily thought confirmed because some nutjob added them to Smash's IMDB page. Shovel Knight was rumored to be coming to Smash and getting an amiibo, but just the amiibo came true.

Nice moveset. I'd like to see the animals as more than taunts, but they'd have to be instant transformations which takes a bit of the coolness out of it. But if they could find a way...
Neutral Special-Fireball/Spider Venom
Side Special-Monkey Bullet
Up Special-Harpy Talon
Down Special-Elephant Stomp.
Yeah, as I said in my moveset idea, I wouldn't mind transformations as attacks but it would look weird to me seeing her transform instantly(although charging a smash attack would allow dance animations). But anyways, glad you like the moveset!

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Oh wow. I ignored SmashFAQs up until this point but now these threads are just pure gold.

ANOTHER THREAD

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice

My personal feeling is still that genie transformations as regular moves would feel awkward and not true to the source.
Actually, here's what I was thinking. Sakurai has made a habit of designing a lot of the fighters as composite characters; there aren't many, if any, cases where every part of a character's moveset is taken from one game, or one given version of the character. The most obvious examples being Link (the various versions of him starting from the first Smash game) and Mario to a lesser and subtler extent.

So the same concept would probably apply for Shantae, and putting together a moveset taking into account the abilities from all three games would be easy. I just was saying she shouldn't be too heavily based on her Pirate's Curse iteration; it should be made clear to people that she's a half-Genie, not a pirate. I mean, and this is a little embarrassing to admit, but I actually made this same mistake before fully researching her and the series.

But I think we agree on the transformations; that's actually not what I mean concerning her magic. I'll weigh in here regardless; I know people disagree, but I don't think the transformations should be attempted at all. Aside from the weirdness of programming quick, temporary transformations for single attacks, there's the fact that it doesn't fit her actual gameplay. More often than not, the animal forms aren't for combat; they're for progression and puzzle-solving.

Her dances would work best as one or two of her taunts and victory animations.

In short: My idea of her moveset basically involves one or two items from PC, maybe the Pike Ball, her general hand-to-hand combat abilites (and hair attacks, but that's obvious) and her genie-form combat spells.

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Actually, here's what I was thinking. Sakurai has made a habit of designing a lot of the fighters as composite characters; there aren't many, if any, cases where every part of a character's moveset is taken from one game, or one given version of the character. The most obvious examples being Link (the various versions of him starting from the first Smash game) and Mario to a lesser and subtler extent.

So the same concept would probably apply for Shantae, and putting together a moveset taking into account the abilities from all three games would be easy. I just was saying she shouldn't be too heavily based on her Pirate's Curse iteration; it should be made clear to people that she's a half-Genie, not a pirate. I mean, and this is a little embarrassing to admit, but I actually made this same mistake before fully researching her and the series.

But I think we agree on the transformations; that's actually not what I mean concerning her magic. I'll weigh in here regardless; I know people disagree, but I don't think the transformations should be attempted at all. Aside from the weirdness of programming quick, temporary transformations for single attacks, there's the fact that it doesn't fit her actual gameplay. More often than not, the animal forms aren't for combat; they're for progression and puzzle-solving.

In short: My idea of her moveset basically involves one or two items from PC, maybe the Pike Ball, her general hand-to-hand combat abilites (and hair attacks, but that's obvious) and her genie-form combat spells.
Not sure if you've seen it but here's my moveset idea I made with another guy: http://twinkledoodle.deviantart.com/art/Shantae-s-Moveset-553081363

Feel free to spread it around. Just link'em to my page.

Staarih

Smash Master
After having only played Pirate's Curse, I decided to try out Risky's Revenge and the original Shantae just to get a better feel of the character (even though Pirate's Curse alone made me love Shantae haha). Just got them on the 3DS, can't wait to try them out!

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
K. Rool is the king of the Smash Ballot, with Shantae being the queen.

Goku is the jester.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So, a guy on fb was doing an elimination poll, eliminating 1 character everyday from like a dozen or more, and it looks like it's gonna be down to Shovel Knight vs Shantae in the end, though the elimination of King K Rool isn't official yet, but he was the most voted for in the last round. It's looking really good for Shantae :)

I'm not even trying to invade the poll with shantae lovers, I think that would be unfair, but I'm pretty glad that it looks like she'll win, that she's got good support in lots of places. I'll mention if she does win once it's all over.
<3

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
So, a guy on fb was doing an elimination poll, eliminating 1 character everyday from like a dozen or more, and it looks like it's gonna be down to Shovel Knight vs Shantae in the end, though the elimination of King K Rool isn't official yet, but he was the most voted for in the last round. It's looking really good for Shantae :)

I'm not even trying to invade the poll with shantae lovers, I think that would be unfair, but I'm pretty glad that it looks like she'll win, that she's got good support in lots of places. I'll mention if she does win once it's all over.
<3
We should make Screwattack do a Indie Game One Minute Melee between Shantae and Shovel Knight.

(Shantae would probably win, not saying this from a baised standpoint, but you have to remember she had her magical powers taken away from her, and had to fight Nega-Shantae, who's variations on her magic attacks were stronger. Shantae, as a regular human, still won.)

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of Japanese postings of Shantae, remember those tweets that went out from another person besides Ko Takeuchi? The fan with the name @Seo_T?

One of her (or his) Shantae drawing tweets has reached 625 favorites. That's more than Matt Bozon's "See you in Smash" tweet back from May. In general, that's more than most of the major posts by WayForward and Matt Bozon themselves. It also has only a slightly lower amount of retweets than Matt's.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but still... that's interesting to say the least.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Since moveset potential is being brought up again, thought I'd might as well repost my ideas, I tried my best to represent all the games while trying to make it reasonable and balanced

MOVESET (warning: very long)
Entrance: Shantae flies in on a magic carpet (Half-Genie Hero for that idea) and says "Let's Go"

VA: Cristina Vee (either with new voice clips or recycled from Pirate's Curse)

Neutral Attack: a 3-hit Hair whip combo,
Dash Attack: Elbow dash from the first Shantae game
Side Tilt: consists of the Power Kick from Pirate’s Curse (with some much needed knock back to it),
Up Tilt: Shantae flicks her hair forward similar to Greninja's tongue
Down Tilt: uses the hair whip while crouching

Her Smash attacks will make use of her transformations for a brief time, but needs some time to change back, similar to Mega Man’s cooldown, and her charging animations consist of her bellydancing to change forms,
Side Smash is the Monkey Claw (slashes with her claws in Monkey Form, short reach but decent power)
Down Smash is Elephant Stomp (spins up into the air then transforms into an Elephant mid-air and pounds down, has great knockback)
Up Smash: Mermaid Flip (doing a backflip in her Mermaid form having her tail strike her opponent.)

Neutral Aerial: based of her twirl attack from the first game, she spins around ballerina style with her hair hitting opponents as she twirls around.
Forward Aerial: a midair hair whip
Back Aerial: twirls back and delivers a midair kick.
Up Aerial: In a pose similar to her Half-Genie Hero artwork, she thrusts her hand up into the air with fire in it, hits multiple times.
Down Aerial: The drill attack from the first game, similar to Sonic’s Down air, but can hit an opponent more than once.

Though not really a tether, Shantae can use her hair to grab opponents from a reasonable distance; she’d hold her opponent with her hands and pummel them with her knee.
Forward Throw: She bumps her opponent with her hip.
Back Throw: She spins to throw her opponent behind her with her hair hitting them when she finishes her spin
Down Throw: She throws her opponent to the ground and spins around like a drill on top of them.
Up throw: She performs the spin kick from the first game, with her kicking the opponent up and then somersaulting in midair in a fashion similar to Sonic's Up Smash.

Neutral Special: Bellydance-comes straight out of Risky’s Revenge, hold down the special button to perform a bellydance then let go at the end of it to transform, there are three dances to it, each of which determined by how long you hold down the button,if you let it go after the first, she’ll turn into a monkey and dashes forward using Monkey Bullet-a slightly weak but fast dash attack, the second turns her into an elephant and charges forward with Elephant Charge-a slow but powerful dash attack, the third turns her into a mermaid who jumps into the air and throws some bubble projectiles down onto the stage.

Side Special: Spitfire-shooting out three fire balls at a time, low speed but good distance.

Up Special: Harpy Form-though she doesn't dance for this one, she turns into a Harpy like in the GBC game, giving her multiple wing jumps which lasts about half as long as Villager's Up Special, if she is hit she transforms back and enters a helpless state, however she is able to attack with her talons to defend herself from opponents and even negate projectiles.

Down Special: Pike Ball-similar to Mega Man’s Leaf Shield, except it lasts longer but can’t be thrown.

Final Smash: All-Mighty Half-Genie-she spouts her catchphrase "Ret-2-Go!" and pulls out the Genie Lamp and traps everyone within range, it takes time to an area where the female protagonists from Wayforward's "Mighty" series: Patricia Wagon from Mighty Switch Force, Luna from Mighty Milky Way, and Alta from Mighty Flip Champs, come in and attack the trapped opponents one at a time, sending them flying like a pinball, Alta first uses her staff to flip a wall to strike the captured opponents, then Luna summons a small asteroid and strikes them with it, then Patricia uses her helmet to make block appear and strike them as when, then all three girls join up and Shantae joins them for one final blow.

Her taunts would consist of the dances she uses for those transformations, the D-pad would be mapped to the corresponding dances from the GBC game:
(Up Taunt:
Down Taunt:
Left Taunt:
Right Taunt:
)

Her victory animations are:
Spinning around in midair like she does when she completes a stage from her games;
Her flying in her monkey form to grab a gem, then transforming back to perform a dance (like the Matt Bozon created micro game in WarioWare D.I.W.) ;
Performing her dance from Half-Genie Hero then her transform in/out pose with the other Wayforward girls posing behind her at the same time, Alta is behind her twirling her staff then holds it up and winks, Luna spins around and blows a kiss, Patricia takes off her helmet and wipes some sweat off her blow, then throws up a peace sign.

Victory Fanfare: Stage Clear jingle from Pirate's Curse

Alternate Costumes:

Red: Default (her physical appearance and jewelry would be based of her design in Pirate's Curse, but her top would be from Risky's Revenge, and her pants would be from Half Genie Hero)
Blue: The blue palette swap Backer costume from
Purple: Based of Risky/Nega Shantae (eyes would be yellow, but her irises would be green)
Green: Based off Rottytops
Yellow: Based off Sky
Navy: Based off Bolo
Brown: Based of the guardian genies from the first Shantae game
Pink: Pirate Costume (has the bandana, vest and leg belt and holster, but doesn't lose her sleeves, similar to her Pirate costume on the cover of the second to last Nintendo Power)
Here's my fanart reflecting this:

Other Details: She has the ability to crawl. Her default idle stance would be her full health dancing animation in Pirate’s Curse and Half Genie Hero, but it'd change depending on the damage she's taken like in those two games. Her idle animations consist of her straightening out her hair and her crossing her arms and looking behind her in an impatient kind of way, her shield dash would resemble the backdash from Risky's Revenge, her Star/Screen KO animation would resemble the twirling animation she and Risky share from the first game when she gets knocked back from the explosion from the first boss or when Risky got knocked back from the boss encounters.

Also I do have a feeling they'll made custom moves for the DLC characters so I thought I should share my ideas for hers:

Custom Neutral 1: Storm Puff-like in Risky's Revenge she summons a storm puff that stays on the stage for a bit and shoots lightning randomly, it can also be moved around.
Custom Neutral 2: Risky's Boots- I think Sakurai would think the pistol would be too realistic so I opted it out, this special works a bit differently from in Pirates Curse, you tap the special button to activate it then hold it for distance, (it automatically goes off if you hold the button too long).

Custom Side 1: Fireball-a quick moving fireball similar to Mario's custom but does some knockback.
Custom Side 2: Flamethrower-Like in Risky's Revenge-a stream of fire that doesn't deplete but disappears after a short time.

Custom Up 1: Risky's Cannon-like In Pirate's Curse, can fire cannonballs down and can be used it 3 times.
Custom Up 2: Risky's Hat-a gust of wind blows Shantae upward and she uses the hat to ride it up and can make her glide for a bit, similar to Palutena's Jump Glide.

Custom Down 1: Super Pike Ball: three Pike Balls orbit Shantae, but for a reduced time.
Custom Down 2: Pirate Flare: Like Palutena's Celestial Flareworks, but takes a bit to go off and makes Shantae vulnerable during the fireworks.

STAGE/MUSIC
Scuttle Town Lighthouse (3DS/Wii U)
Shantae's home and the starting point for each game-a medium-large sized stage with a day/night cycle, the island with the lighthouse itself is in the middle of two other islands. The island on the right goes offstage connected by a longer bridge. There's a smaller island with a small bridge connecting them to the lighthouse, but on the far left of the stage is a short cliff that's connected offstage, between the two is a pool of water, Like Green Hill, some areas of the bridge are prone to damage, especially with Risky in the background firing off cannonballs onto the stage, after a while, the Oceanic Tinker Tub becomes a boss with Risky at the helm. It can attack with barrels, it's anchor, or it can jump back into the water for a bit and bombard the stage with cannonballs.
MUSIC:
Dance Through The Danger (Half Genie Hero)
Burning Town (Pirate's Curse Version) (3DS/Wii U)
Risky Boots (Pirate's Curse Version)
Boss Battle (Pirate's Curse Version) (3DS/Wii U)
Cackle Tower (Pirate's Curse)
Day/Night Travel (Propeller Town/A Troublesome Trek from Pirate's Curse)
Scuttle Town (Pirate's Curse Version)
She's Got Moves! (Risky's Revenge)
Trip Through Sequin Land (Pirate's Curse)
Run Run Rottytops! (Pirate's Curse)
Mermaid Slide (Half Genie Hero)
Rescue Girl from Mighty Switch Force 2

TROPHIES
ASSIST TROPHY: Patricia Wagon (Mighty Switch Force)

Patricia runs around the stage and fires off her Pellet Gun to damage opponents, also faded out blocks will appear on the stage and they can become visible by her helmet automatically like in the last levels of her game, damaging opponents on impact, (if KOed with them, they'll always result in a screen KO) but providing can be KOed if caught in her own blocks (albeit with the screen KO from her game)

TROPHIES:
Trophies that will likely be in (based off Ryu's bundle):
Shantae (Classic Mode)
Alt. (Her transformations)
Final Smash (All-Star)
Risky Boots/Oceanic Tinkertub
Patricia Wagon
Other Possible Trophies:
Rottytops
Sky/Wrench
Bolo
Tinkerbat (note. if possible I think Tinkerbats would make great Smash Run enemies)
Mimic
Squid Baron
Ammo Baron
Pirate Master

Speaking of Japanese postings of Shantae, remember those tweets that went out from another person besides Ko Takeuchi? The fan with the name @Seo_T?

One of her (or his) Shantae drawing tweets has reached 625 favorites. That's more than Matt Bozon's "See you in Smash" tweet back from May. In general, that's more than most of the major posts by WayForward and Matt Bozon themselves. It also has only a slightly lower amount of retweets than Matt's.

So I take it that "not popular in Japan" is no longer an excuse against her?

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion

Like I said, Shantae's growing popularity in Japan, despite having no localized game releases in Japan, not to mention Shantae being a western franchise, which rarely appeal to Japanese audiences, is very surprising.

Since moveset potential is being brought up again, thought I'd might as well repost my ideas, I tried my best to represent all the games while trying to make it reasonable and balanced

MOVESET (warning: very long)
Entrance: Shantae flies in on a magic carpet (Half-Genie Hero for that idea) and says "Let's Go"

VA: Cristina Vee (either with new voice clips or recycled from Pirate's Curse)

Neutral Attack: a 3-hit Hair whip combo,
Dash Attack: Elbow dash from the first Shantae game
Side Tilt: consists of the Power Kick from Pirate’s Curse (with some much needed knock back to it),
Up Tilt: Shantae flicks her hair forward similar to Greninja's tongue
Down Tilt: uses the hair whip while crouching

Her Smash attacks will make use of her transformations for a brief time, but needs some time to change back, similar to Mega Man’s cooldown, and her charging animations consist of her bellydancing to change forms,
Side Smash is the Monkey Claw (slashes with her claws in Monkey Form, short reach but decent power)
Down Smash is Elephant Stomp (spins up into the air then transforms into an Elephant mid-air and pounds down, has great knockback)
Up Smash: Mermaid Flip (doing a backflip in her Mermaid form having her tail strike her opponent.)

Neutral Aerial: based of her twirl attack from the first game, she spins around ballerina style with her hair hitting opponents as she twirls around.
Forward Aerial: a midair hair whip
Back Aerial: twirls back and delivers a midair kick.
Up Aerial: In a pose similar to her Half-Genie Hero artwork, she thrusts her hand up into the air with fire in it, hits multiple times.
Down Aerial: The drill attack from the first game, similar to Sonic’s Down air, but can hit an opponent more than once.

Though not really a tether, Shantae can use her hair to grab opponents from a reasonable distance; she’d hold her opponent with her hands and pummel them with her knee.
Forward Throw: She bumps her opponent with her hip.
Back Throw: She spins to throw her opponent behind her with her hair hitting them when she finishes her spin
Down Throw: She throws her opponent to the ground and spins around like a drill on top of them.
Up throw: She performs the spin kick from the first game, with her kicking the opponent up and then somersaulting in midair in a fashion similar to Sonic's Up Smash.

Neutral Special: Bellydance-comes straight out of Risky’s Revenge, hold down the special button to perform a bellydance then let go at the end of it to transform, there are three dances to it, each of which determined by how long you hold down the button,if you let it go after the first, she’ll turn into a monkey and dashes forward using Monkey Bullet-a slightly weak but fast dash attack, the second turns her into an elephant and charges forward with Elephant Charge-a slow but powerful dash attack, the third turns her into a mermaid who jumps into the air and throws some bubble projectiles down onto the stage.

Side Special: Spitfire-shooting out three fire balls at a time, low speed but good distance.

Up Special: Harpy Form-though she doesn't dance for this one, she turns into a Harpy like in the GBC game, giving her multiple wing jumps which lasts about half as long as Villager's Up Special, if she is hit she transforms back and enters a helpless state, however she is able to attack with her talons to defend herself from opponents and even negate projectiles.

Down Special: Pike Ball-similar to Mega Man’s Leaf Shield, except it lasts longer but can’t be thrown.

Final Smash: All-Mighty Half-Genie-she spouts her catchphrase "Ret-2-Go!" and pulls out the Genie Lamp and traps everyone within range, it takes time to an area where the female protagonists from Wayforward's "Mighty" series: Patricia Wagon from Mighty Switch Force, Luna from Mighty Milky Way, and Alta from Mighty Flip Champs, come in and attack the trapped opponents one at a time, sending them flying like a pinball, Alta first uses her staff to flip a wall to strike the captured opponents, then Luna summons a small asteroid and strikes them with it, then Patricia uses her helmet to make block appear and strike them as when, then all three girls join up and Shantae joins them for one final blow.

Her taunts would consist of the dances she uses for those transformations, the D-pad would be mapped to the corresponding dances from the GBC game:
(Up Taunt:
Down Taunt:
Left Taunt:
Right Taunt:
)

Her victory animations are:
Spinning around in midair like she does when she completes a stage from her games;
Her flying in her monkey form to grab a gem, then transforming back to perform a dance (like the Matt Bozon created micro game in WarioWare D.I.W.) ;
Performing her dance from Half-Genie Hero then her transform in/out pose with the other Wayforward girls posing behind her at the same time, Alta is behind her twirling her staff then holds it up and winks, Luna spins around and blows a kiss, Patricia takes off her helmet and wipes some sweat off her blow, then throws up a peace sign.

Victory Fanfare: Stage Clear jingle from Pirate's Curse

Alternate Costumes:

Red: Default (her physical appearance and jewelry would be based of her design in Pirate's Curse, but her top would be from Risky's Revenge, and her pants would be from Half Genie Hero)
Blue: The blue palette swap Backer costume from
Purple: Based of Risky/Nega Shantae (eyes would be yellow, but her irises would be green)
Green: Based off Rottytops
Yellow: Based off Sky
Navy: Based off Bolo
Brown: Based of the guardian genies from the first Shantae game
Pink: Pirate Costume (has the bandana, vest and leg belt and holster, but doesn't lose her sleeves, similar to her Pirate costume on the cover of the second to last Nintendo Power)
Here's my fanart reflecting this:

Other Details: She has the ability to crawl. Her default idle stance would be her full health dancing animation in Pirate’s Curse and Half Genie Hero, but it'd change depending on the damage she's taken like in those two games. Her idle animations consist of her straightening out her hair and her crossing her arms and looking behind her in an impatient kind of way, her shield dash would resemble the backdash from Risky's Revenge, her Star/Screen KO animation would resemble the twirling animation she and Risky share from the first game when she gets knocked back from the explosion from the first boss or when Risky got knocked back from the boss encounters.

Also I do have a feeling they'll made custom moves for the DLC characters so I thought I should share my ideas for hers:

Custom Neutral 1: Storm Puff-like in Risky's Revenge she summons a storm puff that stays on the stage for a bit and shoots lightning randomly, it can also be moved around.
Custom Neutral 2: Risky's Boots- I think Sakurai would think the pistol would be too realistic so I opted it out, this special works a bit differently from in Pirates Curse, you tap the special button to activate it then hold it for distance, (it automatically goes off if you hold the button too long).

Custom Side 1: Fireball-a quick moving fireball similar to Mario's custom but does some knockback.
Custom Side 2: Flamethrower-Like in Risky's Revenge-a stream of fire that doesn't deplete but disappears after a short time.

Custom Up 1: Risky's Cannon-like In Pirate's Curse, can fire cannonballs down and can be used it 3 times.
Custom Up 2: Risky's Hat-a gust of wind blows Shantae upward and she uses the hat to ride it up and can make her glide for a bit, similar to Palutena's Jump Glide.

Custom Down 1: Super Pike Ball: three Pike Balls orbit Shantae, but for a reduced time.
Custom Down 2: Pirate Flare: Like Palutena's Celestial Flareworks, but takes a bit to go off and makes Shantae vulnerable during the fireworks.
Take notes Sakurai

And nerf Zero Suit Samus please

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Well, sadly, I don't know if we can say she's outright "popular" there yet, but mind you, at the same time there's no reliable way of knowing for now.

What it does mean is that people can't say "Unknown to Japan Kappa" with credibility now.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Well, sadly, I don't know if we can say she's outright "popular" there yet, but mind you, at the same time there's no reliable way of knowing for now.

What it does mean is that people can't say "Unknown to Japan Kappa" with credibility now.
She's slowly gaining it. We just have to find ways to give her more exposure.

Someone did mention NicoNico...

And now, for Wayforward's constant shenanigans.
First genie on the moon.

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
It just occurred to me that the release of Mario Maker is right around the corner. Maybe that's why Nintendo's been keeping quiet, they probably want to put heavy focus on the game's release once it's out. With that in mind, I'm thinking we might not get any Smash news for a while; they probably won't want to have many distractions from Mario Maker.

Though, this theory falls flat if Nintendo still doesn't break their overall silence for that release.

My eyes.

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking Shantae might be on the lighter side, but hopefully not at Mewtwo-levels; rather, I hope she'd be slightly below-average. Maybe her attacks would be comparable in speed and power to Mario's. I mean, we have no idea how her moveset would be designed, but mid-tier might be her placement based on these guesses. Especially if her movement speed is also close to Mario's.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord

Well, at the same time I can agree that it's good for characters to be true to their gameplay.. but that isn't always the case. There are several examples of characters using moves in ways they don't normally work in their games after all.

Some example:

Mario:
The fact he can throw fireballs without even needing a fire flower

Pokemon

-The fact pokemon can use "moves" and attacks indefinitely without PP

Kirby: All of his "transformations" consist of copying the various smash fighters, rather than his actual copy abilities

Not even going to mention the numerous amount of characters who have a moveset pulled out of thin air..

(Looking at you Falcon XD)

Basically put, though it is nice when fighters are as accurate to a character as possible, there are always going to be instances where there will be various moves and aspects of a fighter that aren't possible in the game they come from...

So in all honesty, I wouldn't really be all that surprised if Shantae could go in and out of her transformations in the blink of an eye in Smash... I mean, if other fighters can bend the rules with how their mechanics normally operate, I don't see how she wouldn't be able to do it either.

I'm thinking Shantae might be on the lighter side, but hopefully not at Mewtwo-levels; rather, I hope she'd be slightly below-average. Maybe her attacks would be comparable in speed and power to Mario's. I mean, we have no idea how her moveset would be designed, but mid-tier might be her placement based on these guesses. Especially if her movement speed is also close to Mario's.
I bet she would be on an average weight.. That hair just has to weigh her down ya know :troll:

Top Bottom