• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Shantae's more a Nintendo character than Solid Snake was at least.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Not to get all Tumblr on everyone but I do think it's cool that Shantae could wind up as one of the first ethnic minorities in Smash. I'm honestly surprised Reddit and Tumblr aren't all over this fact yet. I care more about the character herself but I could see how that could be a huge selling point to Nintendo.
LOL Tumblr. They had been redeeming themselves in some way since characters like Waluigi, Daisy, and many others had been trending lately thanks to the Smash Ballot. At least they aren't saying that Shantae would be a sexist addition in Smash with her skimpy outfit and sexy dancing. :troll:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
LOL Tumblr. They had been redeeming themselves in some way since characters like Waluigi, Daisy, and many others had been trending lately thanks to the Smash Ballot. At least they aren't saying that Shantae would be a sexist addition in Smash with her skimpy outfit and sexy dancing. :troll:
Which isn't an argument anymore cuz Shulk and ZSS

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Please, Zamus wears sportswear, Shulk outright shows us his abs and nips, clearly Nintendo is being sexist towards men
But what about Wario's well toned ass and inflation habits? Clearly that's another example of oversexualization on the male part of the the spectrum. :troll:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
risky's revenge is the second game in the series.Pirate's curse is the thrid one for the wii u

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Correction, Pirate's Curse was first released on the 3DS and was just recently released on the WiiU. Her games were handheld exclusive for the longest time.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I'm not particularly familiar with Shantae's franchise, but she seems like she could be cool. I might throw a vote in for her later on down the road too.

Anyway, I really hope we get more clarification on the ballot soon... It would be a darn shame if it was only just one character that was being considered out of the hundreds of great candidates that are cropping up... :( I still have so many questions.. What characters are they considering exactly? Is it just Nintendo, or is any videogame character fair game? Will there be more than just one character DLC?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I'm not particularly familiar with Shantae's franchise, but she seems like she could be cool. I might throw a vote in for her later on down the road too.

Anyway, I really hope we get more clarification on the ballot soon... It would be a darn shame if it was only just one character that was being considered out of the hundreds of great candidates that are cropping up... :( I still have so many questions.. What characters are they considering exactly? Is it just Nintendo, or is any videogame character fair game? Will there be more than just one character DLC?
Based on the wording they used, I'd guess at least 2-3 new characters will be added.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Based on the wording they used, I'd guess at least 2-3 new characters will be added.
I guess that could be a possibility.. I certainly hope you're right lol :/

Hmm... Let me look at the roster count real quick.. So as of right now, there are 49 fighters. (Including Mii Fighters. That will be 51 by the time Mewtwo and Lucas are available.)

I could at least imagine 4 extra possible fighter DLCs, which would bring the slot count up to 55. Thats probably just wishful thinking though on my part XD

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Shantae's in a weird spot...

From what I can tell, she never got any official release in Japan, although at least one source says otherwise. The website of the localizer lists "Mighty Switch Force!", another game by WayForward, but it doesn't list any Shantae games. A comment from the first source said the localizer tweeted, but I'm not slogging through that. If anyone can make any sort of official statement, I'm all ears.

Regardless, she does have a noticeable Japanese fanbase. Ken Sugimori, Pokemon's official character designer and art director, is a known fan, and WayForward also is aware of other Japanese fans. Shantae's kind of like the Mother series to us; Never quite localized, yet a well known cult classic anyway.

While I'm not confident about any third party (Shantae included) appearing as DLC, in my mind, she's a top pick for the next game, and you have my support.

Best wishes, everybody! :p

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Shantae's in a weird spot...

From what I can tell, she never got any official release in Japan, although at least one source says otherwise. The website of the localizer lists "Mighty Switch Force!", another game by WayForward, but it doesn't list any Shantae games. A comment from the first source said the localizer tweeted, but I'm not slogging through that. If anyone can make any sort of official statement, I'm all ears.

Regardless, she does have a noticeable Japanese fanbase. Ken Sugimori, Pokemon's official character designer and art director, is a known fan, and WayForward also is aware of other Japanese fans. Shantae's kind of like the Mother series to us; Never quite localized, yet a well known cult classic anyway.

While I'm not confident about any third party (Shantae included) appearing as DLC, in my mind, she's a top pick for the next game, and you have my support.

Best wishes, everybody! :p
Really, the way I see it, it all depends on the holder of the IP. Rayman has his chances for obvious reasons (What, from the heavy support shown when he was "leaked" that one time.. lol. Not to mention Ubisoft and Nintendo's relationship has been good (at least most of the time anyway...))

Banjo & Kazooie you wouldn't think would have a chance either, but then you see stuff like this..: https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/584023190692737024

I personally think you would have to be dumb as a box of rocks NOT to want your character in Smash bros. as paid dlc to be honest.. they would net tons of side profits from the affair, plus it would gain that IP more attention.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Really, the way I see it, it all depends on the holder of the IP. Rayman has his chances for obvious reasons (What, from the heavy support shown when he was "leaked" that one time.. lol. Not to mention Ubisoft and Nintendo's relationship has been good (at least most of the time anyway...))

Banjo & Kazooie you wouldn't think would have a chance either, but then you see stuff like this..: https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/584023190692737024

I personally think you would have to be dumb as a box of rocks NOT to want your character in Smash bros. as paid dlc to be honest.. they would net tons of side profits from the affair, plus it would gain that IP more attention.
The reason I'm doubting third parties is that I'm not certain Nintendo is wiling to go through third party contracts for charters not already in the game, so that's a big question mark. Currently I'm doubting unless a single third party gets, what, 75%, maybe 60% of the votes? Going through all that is allot of work and money, so who knows.

Of course everyone wants their charter in, but Nintendo might not want to work with third parties for the rest of the game. Being wrong would be a pleasant surprise, of course.

All this support won't stop them from possibility considering them for the next game, though!

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
The reason I'm doubting third parties is that I'm not certain Nintendo is wiling to go through third party contracts for charters not already in the game, so that's a big question mark. Currently I'm doubting unless a single third party gets, what, 75%, maybe 60% of the votes? Going through all that is allot of work and money, so who knows.

Of course everyone wants their charter in, but Nintendo might not want to work with third parties for the rest of the game. Being wrong would be a pleasant surprise, of course.

All this support won't stop them from possibility considering them for the next game, though!
Heh, yeah. That thirdparty stuff is always funky business. I would be quite amazed and happy if Nintendo surprised us on all of this.

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Shantae from an Indie developer?.. I guess it WOULD be pretty cool if an Indie character made it into the roster for the first time ever actually o_o

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Heh, yeah. That thirdparty stuff is always funky business. I would be quite amazed and happy if Nintendo surprised us on all of this.

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Shantae from an Indie developer?.. I guess it WOULD be pretty cool if an Indie character made it into the roster for the first time ever actually o_o
The only 2 Indie reps to really consider, are Shantae and Shovel Knight.

But I feel Shantae deserves it more, since she's been with Nintendo for 13 years.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord

Shantae became indie with her second game, as the first was published under Capcom. They've been indie ever sense.

It'd be cool to see some indie representation too. It's interesting to see the comparison between Quote and Shantae; Quote seems more famous as an indie game, but Shantae seems more famous overall. I'm willing to say Shantae gets a bit higher due to being older and starting on Nintendo, though.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608

The indie developer is Wayforward and they're even supporting Shantae to be in Smash bros on their twitter account so if Shantae was picked I'm sure Wayforward wouldn't even have a problem with working with Nintendo, heck they even put up a design concept on what alt costumes/colors they would like to see for her.

Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Attention, fellow Shantae-ians supporters! If, you have your Wii, Wii U, 3DS XL and/or New Nintendo 3DS XL! You can actually vote multiple times on your internet browser to vote in different strokes of ways for voting our precious Shantae as a New DLC Magical playable character in T-I-M-E for LEGENDARY Super Smash Bros Franchise, so extremely and easily useful of resources necessarily too!

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Welp... there's going to be a war now.
*Puts on a hard hat and jumps in a bunker*

Indeed there will be. These thread campaigns' pages are going to soar through the roof now.. lol
I kinda like it. Now everyone has a reason to support the <insert non 1st party characters here>, and can't be discouraged thinking they have no chance whatsoever just because their third party/indie... lol

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
I'll be honest, I'm going to be really upset if a Mario or Zelda character get in. We have enough of those. This ballot should be for really unique characters.

I'll be honest again, I'll be really really upset if Shantae doesn't get in. I know she practically has a snowball's chance in hell, but I'm going to believe dammit! I'd also like to think Nintendo isn't going to just base this on vote alone, but actually determine the character based on their potential in the game. If that's the case, I do feel that Shantae has a chance. It's just such a shame that she isn't as well known as other characters.

Shovel Knight would be a lame fighter.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I'll be honest, I'm going to be really upset if a Mario or Zelda character get in. We have enough of those. This ballot should be for really unique characters.

I'll be honest again, I'll be really really upset if Shantae doesn't get in. I know she practically has a snowball's chance in hell, but I'm going to believe dammit! I'd also like to think Nintendo isn't going to just base this on vote alone, but actually determine the character based on their potential in the game. If that's the case, I do feel that Shantae has a chance. It's just such a shame that she isn't as well known as other characters.

Shovel Knight would be a lame fighter.

I can understand what you mean by Mario, but there's a reason people are upset with the way the Zelda series has been treated this installment. They literally have the same exact line up before. They practically just split Zelda and Sheik up and said "Ok. thats enough for Zelda!".. Heck Falcondork is probably the biggest issue people have.. I mean he has practically had the same cloned moveset since melee... Same goes for Metroid. "Me, myself, and I" is not a valid line up. I don't really care who it would be at this point. Rundas could be good. I just wish they would go with anyone that isn't a Samus copy... lol

I do know what you mean by the fact it should just be unique characters here. People need to stop spamming the same things they have always asked for blindly and think about the character first. I mean heck. we have the chance to get practically ANYONE in at this point. Might as well not waste it on a veteran thats already been in the game before, or characters that will never get in. Ever. (*COUGH* GOKU *COUGH)

Top Bottom