• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
They are going to see a lot of Goku and Master Chief requests because of that post. But I can see Shovel Knight as an amazing assist trophy, smacking people with his trusty shovel. Not as a playable character though. I see Shantae far more playable then Shovel Knight.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
They are going to see a lot of Goku and Master Chief requests because of that post. But I can see Shovel Knight as an amazing assist trophy, smacking people with his trusty shovel. Not as a playable character though. I see Shantae far more playable then Shovel Knight.
Be cool if Shantae were a part of an Indie pack. Adding Shantae as a character, a Shantae stage the Shovel Knight assist, and a few more trophies.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Ah yes, the unofficial viable contenders thing. I personally don't really pay much attention to that. As, the actual ballot itself doesn't end until October. As to the third party characters, they clearly didn't get the information on some of the devs supporting their characters getting into smash as dlc, and the fact Nintendo has said any videogame character is eligible for Smash. We just can't know, who may or may not have an edge yet.. Its just way too early

Last edited:

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at some of the characters on that poll.

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
I always thought the biggest obstacle to 3rd party DLC characters would be getting permission from the companies in question.

Now that there are companies actually wanting their characters to get in Smash, and Nintendo seeming to at least be open to the idea, the whole thing just seems so much more plausible.

That said, if there's any 3rd party character I'd like in, it'd be Shantae. This situation may just earn her my vote.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I'm not trolling, but I don't see how Shantae or other indie reps have a chance to be a viable contender for Smash. I feel that she has the most of the same issues that Shovel Knight, and other indie reps have.
1. Her latest games weren't released in Japan, and is unknown in Japan. Her Virtual Console re-release? USA and PAL regions only.
2. She's a 3rd party character. Does she really stand next to such iconic figures like Megaman, Sonic, Pacman and Solid Snake? This is Nintendo: All Stars, and indies are a far cry being huge stars with a legacy.
3. Expanding on #1 and #2, Japan doesn't get the indie scene. In the latest direct, they showed off Little Inferno and The Swapper. Those games came out a years ago in other regions. Trine is somewhat big in Japan, but I haven't seen any real Japanese support for their inclusions.
4. Does the indie scene really deserve a full playable character? Sure it's a neat concept, but at the end of the day indie characters are still 3rd party characters. NoA had to fight to get Commander Video in Sm4sh as a trophy. And yet, NoJ didn't even feature that part in their direct. Aiming for an assist trophy or more trophies is a far more realistic goal.

The characters are going to be decided by Sakurai alone. AFAIK, he's never talked about any indie games. As far as playable fighting characters go, I think Shantae would be interesting--but I see her chance as very low from a pragmatic point of view.

The reason I'm posting here is because I'd like to see how you guys would address these issues.

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
I'm not trolling, but I don't see how Shantae or other indie reps have a chance to be a viable contender for Smash. I feel that she has the most of the same issues that Shovel Knight, and other indie reps have.
1. Her latest games weren't released in Japan, and is unknown in Japan. Her Virtual Console re-release? USA and PAL regions only.
2. She's a 3rd party character. Does she really stand next to such iconic figures like Megaman, Sonic, Pacman and Solid Snake? This is Nintendo: All Stars, and indies are a far cry being huge stars with a legacy.
3. Expanding on #1 and #2, Japan doesn't get the indie scene. In the latest direct, they showed off Little Inferno and The Swapper. Those games came out a years ago in other regions. Trine is somewhat big in Japan, but I haven't seen any real Japanese support for their inclusions.
4. Does the indie scene really deserve a full playable character? Sure it's a neat concept, but at the end of the day indie characters are still 3rd party characters. NoA had to fight to get Commander Video in Sm4sh as a trophy. And yet, NoJ didn't even feature that part in their direct. Aiming for an assist trophy or more trophies is a far more realistic goal.

The characters are going to be decided by Sakurai alone. AFAIK, he's never talked about any indie games. As far as playable fighting characters go, I think Shantae would be interesting--but I see her chance as very low from a pragmatic point of view.

The reason I'm posting here is because I'd like to see how you guys would address these issues.
Honestly I understand where you're going, but seeing as how Nintendo & Sakurai is pretty much opening the floodgates with this ballot wanting to know what characters we the fans would like to see enter into smash bros has become a whole different ball game because not only Nintendo characters but any video game character can get in now, heck even the indie & third party developers are pushing for their characters to make it into smash which none of them have tried to do before. Also I still believe that the rule of characters having to at least have one game on a Nintendo Console can enter should still be a thing. I know Japan haven't gotten to play any of the Shantae & Shovel Knight games before, but I know a few of them who have played Shantae's games and some of them became fans for playing it, looking back at melee and brawl its hard to believe we get to play as characters like Roy & Lucas who have games exclusive to japan, heck even we get some assist trophy characters who also have japan exclusive games. So pretty much I think of this whole thing is that anything goes with what the fans want at this point & just sit back and wait for Sakurai to pick whatever characters are in the ballot.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It took three games to get Little Mac as a playable character despite his western fan-base. I think the same problem is plaguing Donkey Kong's extended cast and of course Mega-Spyro of the Space Pirates. Unless Nintendo makes American votes only count half of Japanese votes this is a chance to rectify that.

Besides, if Shantae got voted in, maybe Nintendo could help with the Japanese publishing.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Honestly I understand where you're going, but seeing as how Nintendo & Sakurai is pretty much opening the floodgates with this ballot wanting to know what characters we the fans would like to see enter into smash bros has become a whole different ball game because not only Nintendo characters but any video game character can get in now, heck even the indie & third party developers are pushing for their characters to make it into smash which none of them have tried to do before. Also I still believe that the rule of characters having to at least have one game on a Nintendo Console can enter should still be a thing. I know Japan haven't gotten to play any of the Shantae & Shovel Knight games before, but I know a few of them who have played Shantae's games and some of them became fans for playing it, looking back at melee and brawl its hard to believe we get to play as characters like Roy & Lucas who have games exclusive to japan, heck even we get some assist trophy characters who also have japan exclusive games. So pretty much I think of this whole thing is that anything goes with what the fans want at this point & just sit back and wait for Sakurai to pick whatever characters are in the ballot.
Sakurai hasn't included characters like Ayumi Tachibana or Takamaru because he's afraid of alienating the Western fans. In Melee, there were discussion on whether or not to cut the Fire Emblem duo because of their lack of recognition in the West. I'm sure that whoever we get for DLC will have to have worldwide recognition, and indie characters just don't have that. Even if an overwhelming number of English ballots are cast for one indie character (which they aren't, they are being split by the sheer number of developers trying to push their own creation), I can't see Sakurai alienating the Japanese side. Plus due to how more in depth the Japanese poll is (It asks for your name, age, and gender), I'm sure the team is going to look at the Japanese votes way more closely. With the English side, due to issues with translations (can you imagine trying to translate all of these votes?!), they are properly just pulling the most popular names.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I feel as though Shantae is an exception to the first problem. Despite being indie, she has stuck with Nintendo for a long while from the GBC, so I'm certain that it makes her more viable than other indies in terms of loyalty.

Also, Shantae does have fans from Japan, in fact Ken Sugimori seems to be a fan as well.

Now, whether indie characters deserve a spot in this game's roster is something I feel ranges from person to person. Personally, if they've been loyal to Nintendo for a while, I feel like they need a chance.

Also, I feel as though SSB has deterred from the "Nintendo All-Stars" part with Snake in Brawl. As iconic and awesome as he is, he's hardly Nintendo. Heck, Shantae is more Nintendo than he is.

Now, as far as companies fighting to get characters in, Nintendo doesn't need to do that with Shantae. Like, at all. Wayforward is proven to really, really want Shantae in Smash. I bet if Bozon were to get a call from Nintendo, they wouldn't get in a word in before the guy would say "Yes, we would happily let you use Shantae!"

In all honesty, I have my doubts about Shantae getting in as well. But any character has a chance, so why not have it be someone with a potentially diverse style?

Edit: I should also note that Little Mac got in, despite his American origins. He has also had a long history with Nintendo, just like Shantae. And Shulk also got in, despite being from a (mostly) unheard of, but awesome game. I feel like this only bolster's Shantae's chances of getting in.

Last edited:

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
I feel as though Shantae is an exception to the first problem. Despite being indie, she has stuck with Nintendo for a long while from the GBC, so I'm certain that it makes her more viable than other indies in terms of loyalty.

Also, Shantae does have fans from Japan, in fact Ken Sugimori seems to be a fan as well.

Now, whether indie characters deserve a spot in this game's roster is something I feel ranges from person to person. Personally, if they've been loyal to Nintendo for a while, I feel like they need a chance.

Also, I feel as though SSB has deterred from the "Nintendo All-Stars" part with Snake in Brawl. As iconic and awesome as he is, he's hardly Nintendo. Heck, Shantae is more Nintendo than he is.

Now, as far as companies fighting to get characters in, Nintendo doesn't need to do that with Shantae. Like, at all. Wayforward is proven to really, really want Shantae in Smash. I bet if Bozon were to get a call from Nintendo, they wouldn't get in a word in before the guy would say "Yes, we would happily let you use Shantae!"
Listening to one Rogersbase's videos make me realize that nintendo can choose 2 types of 3rd parties, Classic and Indie. Thing about Shantae and why I feel she has a high chance is that she fits both terms.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I despite my loud adversting of her on twitter,tumblr,and here have doubts about shantae being in the game.Dustin brings up a lot of good points but despite that i think we should all still vote for her.I personally think it wuld be smart to try and get wayforward to make a 3d model of shantae.If they really want her to be in the game they should make a 3d model and send it to them and see what happens

D

Deleted member

I already voted for her. She has a higher chance of being in the game than other third parties. She can also representrepresent way forward though transforming into other characters like boy and blob and mighty switch force characters. Her and shovel knight have a very likely chance.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I already voted for her. She has a higher chance of being in the game than other third parties. She can also representrepresent way forward though transforming into other characters like boy and blob and mighty switch force characters. Her and shovel knight have a very likely chance.
As I have brought up before in another thread, it would be blind to deny the likely hood of other parties as well. She, Banjo & Kazooie, and Rayman all have their edges and chances for various reasons.

Shantae having her history with Nintendo, having had a game on the gbc and what not. Not to mention her devs supporting her being in smash.

Banjo & Kazooie's chances also shot up after Phil Spencer, the boss of the Xbox division got his two cents in, saying it would be cool if they were in smash.. even saying there would be no issues, citing they had worked with Nintendo on Rare IPs before. Not to mention they have a history on a Nintendo console as well (Particularly their classic forms)

Rayman has had his following in the past, but thanks to the high hype from the fake rayman leak, and just the way things are going in general, he has his chances too. He already has three trophies from his franchise as well.

There are quite a few candidates in this whole thing, but I'd say those three are probably the largest contenders (that actually have a chance). More than likely Nintendo is pulling our legs on that ballot, and could be planning on adding more character dlc than just a single fighter.. I think it would be just too much of a wasted opportunity other wise.

It looks like alot more people want Shantae, in more ways than one.
And lol... Its probably the dancing. No one can resist the dancing...

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I feel Shantae and Shovel Knight both have a large chance. Mainly based on the fact that Nintendo has been trying to show their support of indie developers. (Commander Video trophy)

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I feel Shantae and Shovel Knight both have a large chance. Mainly based on the fact that Nintendo has been trying to show their support of indie developers. (Commander Video trophy)
i really don't think shovel knight has a change has he's game hasn't even been releaseed in japan yet.Most japaners dont even know who is shovel knight is.I can't see them adding him over someone like quote or shantae

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
i really don't think shovel knight has a change has he's game hasn't even been releaseed in japan yet.Most japaners dont even know who is shovel knight is.I can't see them adding him over someone like quote or shantae
Well that's true. I was mainly using him as an example since there's a noticeable amount of support for him.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Hipster confession time: I critically hit my Shantae vote quite a while before WayForward even thought of the campaign. Like, right after the Ballot was announced. So there.:4falcon:

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
Hipster confession time: I critically hit my Shantae vote quite a while before WayForward even thought of the campaign. Like, right after the Ballot was announced. So there.:4falcon:
Bro. You can't vote for Shantae before she was cool. Shantae's always been cool.

Top Bottom