• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I'm supporting this with every ounce in me, though I bet that her tools from The Pirate's Curse will be in over her transformations.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
If her creators support her, maybe something can be made of. Last times something like this was when Suda said he wanted Travis and Harada wanted M.Bison.

D

Deleted member

Just comes from WayForward's Twitter account :

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind seeing her playable... but I feel the chances are so slim... Welp, in the words of April O'Neil, "You have my support!"

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm kinda afraid Shovel Knight being already more voted enough to be in a top of a poll from a Sub-Reddit-thread is sorta giving Shantae lot's to work with (she's just 1.4). But WayForward is really banking on her too, it seems.

I do wonder if Indie Game characters are eligible though.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Shantae has more Japanese Popularity than Shovel Knight (big surprise) but someone should try spreading the work on the Japanese boards.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
If she becomes playable because of the voting. I'm going to have a difficult time of choose who will be (or remain) as my main. I'm so happy that WayForward is helping leading the Shantae train on twitter!
Shantae is love, Shantae is life.

I'm willing to abandon my main man Luigi if she gets in Smash. Hell, I would master her to the point that she'd pretty much be my stand.

...Now that I think about it, that's a bit creepy. And obsessive.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Just come from WayForward's Twitter account :

I don't think I've been in here before, but Shantae is definitely the only indie rep I think should even be considered for Smash. I think the whole Artsy Omni Smashified Shovel Knight is getting him a lot of rather undeserved votes (not that it's a bad game.)

Has anyone retweeted this at Sakurai?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, I've never played Shantae (I'm planning to get "Risky's Revenge" and "Pirate's curse"), but this twitter image alone is a good reason to vote for her.

If I have to think of ONE indie character, it's definitely her.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
She started her career on Nintendo hardware (on the Gameboy color back in 2002) and everyone of her games has at least been on a Nintendo system. Her longevity and history with Nintendo alone should push her above the other Indies.

Also, she's awesome.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I don't think I've been in here before, but Shantae is definitely the only indie rep I think should even be considered for Smash. I think the whole Artsy Omni Smashified Shovel Knight is getting him a lot of rather undeserved votes (not that it's a bad game.)

Has anyone retweeted this at Sakurai?
while i haven't talked to sakurai i have talked to wayforward about shantae and talking to nintendo but apparetnly it's kinda hard to to do.Saying they need to be invited to nintendo before being able to suggest her

edit:

Last edited by a moderator:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Sign me the up, boys. I'm not expecting her to get in, but it doesn't hurt to voice my support.

Staarih

Smash Master
I love seeing the companies support their characters. Shantae would be my #1 pick for an indie rep, even though I do like the likes of Shovel Knight as well. Shantae just has a longer history with Nintendo and is probably more known in Japan (not sure if any of her games have been released there though?). Anyway, guess I'll have to use a vote on her, she's awesome!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Who would be an assist trophy if the Shantae series got in?

Sky? Bolo? Rottytops? Risky Boots?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Shantae plz. We need you to be in the game.

She was the first I voted for.

I don't think multiple votes matter as long as we have enough to be noticed. Sakurai is weird like that.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not to get all Tumblr on everyone but I do think it's cool that Shantae could wind up as one of the first ethnic minorities in Smash. I'm honestly surprised Reddit and Tumblr aren't all over this fact yet. I care more about the character herself but I could see how that could be a huge selling point to Nintendo.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I imagine for stages it would be Scuttle Town in both versions but while the 3DS is done in a pseudo pixelart style the WiiU is done in full HD.

Not to get all Tumblr on everyone but I do think it's cool that Shantae could wind up as one of the first ethnic minorities in Smash. I'm honestly surprised Reddit and Tumblr aren't all over this fact yet. I care more about the character herself but I could see how that could be a huge selling point to Nintendo.
It would but in a game like Smash bros where nearly half of the cast is non-human (especially if you count Pit and his counter part as Angels) that seems a little silly. Plus only the Mario Bros, Little Mac, Ness and Lucas are confirmed Caucasian. We often forget that Anime characters are so stylised that we only see them as white.

Still would be nice to have a dark skinned character that isn't the king of all evil.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I imagine for stages it would be Scuttle Town in both versions but while the 3DS is done in a pseudo pixelart style the WiiU is done in full HD.

It would but in a game like Smash bros where nearly half of the cast is non-human (especially if you count Pit and his counter part as Angels) that seems a little silly. Plus only the Mario Bros, Little Mac, Ness and Lucas are confirmed Caucasian. We often forget that Anime characters are so stylised that we only see them as white.

Still would be nice to have a dark skinned character that isn't the king of all evil.
Ah, right, I forgot about Ganondorf and his *cough* features... I've regularly tried to ignore it since 1998.

Top Bottom