• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

D

Deleted member

Also, if Shantae gets in, what do you think about Risky Boots being an AT? After all, Shantae's eternal frenemy should get some recognition.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut. Is this going to be on Wii U?

D

Deleted member

Topic's title said:
(WayForward wants her in Smash)
At last ?

Supporters:
[...]
Matt Bozon (WayForward :awesome:)
Really ? When and where ?

Also why I'm still not on this list ?
I thought that with my thoughts on Pirate's Curse it would be obvious. :bee:

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've played Pirate Curse for about 2 and a half hours and enjoy everything so far, fighting Cacklebats, the puzzles, the Rottytops minigame thing. The only thing I'm not happy with is the backdash nerf, in Risky's Revenge you could use it in rapid succession, but there's a delay here

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Hey Shantae fans!

Just been browsing this part of the board finally after being elsewhere mostly. Had to come in a throw my support in too. I know she's a long, long, long shot, really... but I'd rather have her than a lot of other characters. She's so fun and has a ton of potential for a really unique moveset.

I like the idea that Wayforward is in support of her being in the game too.

Realistically, I'm not sure what it would take to get her added. Nintendo is supporting 3rd party characters of course, but they're really big names. I'm guessing Shantae and Wayforward need a few high exposure and successful Nintendo titles. But I'm sure their business plan isn't necessarily bending over backwards to woo Nintendo into including their character in Smash. We can see from Half-Genie Hero that they're open to as many ports as they can get. Still, her start and success so far is rooted in Nintendo titles, so she's got a shot.

Been a fan of hers for a long while now, btw. Helped out Half-Genie Hero's kickstarter when that was still going and got contributor status even. It's been fun watching it develop.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Hey Shantae fans!

Just been browsing this part of the board finally after being elsewhere mostly. Had to come in a throw my support in too. I know she's a long, long, long shot, really... but I'd rather have her than a lot of other characters. She's so fun and has a ton of potential for a really unique moveset.

I like the idea that Wayforward is in support of her being in the game too.

Realistically, I'm not sure what it would take to get her added. Nintendo is supporting 3rd party characters of course, but they're really big names. I'm guessing Shantae and Wayforward need a few high exposure and successful Nintendo titles. But I'm sure their business plan isn't necessarily bending over backwards to woo Nintendo into including their character in Smash. We can see from Half-Genie Hero that they're open to as many ports as they can get. Still, her start and success so far is rooted in Nintendo titles, so she's got a shot.

Been a fan of hers for a long while now, btw. Helped out Half-Genie Hero's kickstarter when that was still going and got contributor status even. It's been fun watching it develop.
Welcome new supporter!

Added

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I really hope we actually get to see shantae in some way,shape,or form before this is all over i really want to see her playable but a trophy would be just as great.I think i posted a moveset for her eariler in the thread.Anyway can you add me to the support list peacock

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Sorry for the late replies everyone. I've been busy with real life stuff.
I really hope we actually get to see shantae in some way,shape,or form before this is all over i really want to see her playable but a trophy would be just as great.I think i posted a moveset for her eariler in the thread.Anyway can you add me to the support list peacock
Added! Also loved your image for Shantae.
I want this.
I really want this.
Put me on supporters, pls.
Added

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
You know it really is werid out of all the thrid party choices Shantae really has the highest change.Her only real competiotrs being Rayman,Quote, and Wright.I mean all of her games are on nintendo consoles.She is pretty famous in the indie community and wayforward is on great terms with nintendo.Kinda werid we got a bit.runner trophy before her in all honesty

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I would like to be added to the support list. I recently bought the original and Risky's Revenge, I haven't beaten the first yet, but I have liked what I played, and would like to see Shantae as a character, her moves in the game fit naturally into Smash.

Plus she's cute.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
You know it really is werid out of all the thrid party choices Shantae really has the highest change.Her only real competiotrs being Rayman,Quote, and Wright.I mean all of her games are on nintendo consoles.She is pretty famous in the indie community and wayforward is on great terms with nintendo.Kinda werid we got a bit.runner trophy before her in all honesty
y u no Professor Layton and Black Mage?!

I think the issue her is just that: indie. Sakurai's made it clear that, to be viable, a third-party character has to be "legendary". Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man fit that criteria to a tee, and Snake is a modern classic (and, y'know, his daddy is Sakurai's confidant). Shantae doesn't have that kind of legacy to her.

As much as I am hesitant to refer to the "star power" argument, it may apply here. Shantae has a cult following and a series of hugely successful titles under her swashbuckled belt, but so do a lot of third-party characters. That alone does not distinguish her. She needs something more.

Good news is, she does have something to set her apart from others: to wit, WayForward's express interest in Shantae appearing in Smash, and the fact that she is very popular by indie game standards. She's also been around for quite some time, and while lineage should not determine the merit of a character, it certainly can't hurt. And it's not like she's short on the "muh relevance" front, either: following her massively successful revival, she's been going from strength to strength over the past few years, and she seems to have a bright future ahead of her.

Now the other thing to consider is her target demographic. She's a character created by a western studio and whose fanbase is largely concentrated in the western sphere of gaming; with the exception of Little Mac and (arguably) Duck Hunt, Sakurai seems to prefer concentrating his efforts on the requests of the Japanese demographic. Now I won't deny that Shantae has a strong fanbase in Japan as well, and Nintendo as a company are very keen to work with WayForward, but at the end of the day, the buck stops at Sakurai. We've already seen how he has a (considerably abstract) set of criteria for choosing characters: who's to say the "familiarity" angle that's scuppered Takamaru so far won't be used to sink Shantae? Or any number of Sakulogic approaches that the great man may care to conjure up.

Right now, I think the best thing to hope for is for Shantae to get into Smash at all. A trophy would be a great start, and if WayForward and the fanbase can make their case, there's a chance that Shantae will gradually make enough of a splash to get her chance. The hardest part for any Smash character, as I am wont to point out, is getting their foot in the door. WayForward's already taken a very positive first step in that regard, now it's up to Sakurai to see if he's willing to let them on board. Yargh, pirate analogies~

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730

I think the issue her is just that: indie. Sakurai's made it clear that, to be viable, a third-party character has to be "legendary". Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man fit that criteria to a tee, and Snake is a modern classic (and, y'know, his daddy is Sakurai's confidant). Shantae doesn't have that kind of legacy to her.

As much as I am hesitant to refer to the "star power" argument, it may apply here. Shantae has a cult following and a series of hugely successful titles under her swashbuckled belt, but so do a lot of third-party characters. That alone does not distinguish her. She needs something more.

Good news is, she does have something to set her apart from others: to wit, WayForward's express interest in Shantae appearing in Smash, and the fact that she is very popular by indie game standards. She's also been around for quite some time, and while lineage should not determine the merit of a character, it certainly can't hurt. And it's not like she's short on the "muh relevance" front, either: following her massively successful revival, she's been going from strength to strength over the past few years, and she seems to have a bright future ahead of her.

Now the other thing to consider is her target demographic. She's a character created by a western studio and whose fanbase is largely concentrated in the western sphere of gaming; with the exception of Little Mac and (arguably) Duck Hunt, Sakurai seems to prefer concentrating his efforts on the requests of the Japanese demographic. Now I won't deny that Shantae has a strong fanbase in Japan as well, and Nintendo as a company are very keen to work with WayForward, but at the end of the day, the buck stops at Sakurai. We've already seen how he has a (considerably abstract) set of criteria for choosing characters: who's to say the "familiarity" angle that's scuppered Takamaru so far won't be used to sink Shantae? Or any number of Sakulogic approaches that the great man may care to conjure up.

Right now, I think the best thing to hope for is for Shantae to get into Smash at all. A trophy would be a great start, and if WayForward and the fanbase can make their case, there's a chance that Shantae will gradually make enough of a splash to get her chance. The hardest part for any Smash character, as I am wont to point out, is getting their foot in the door. WayForward's already taken a very positive first step in that regard, now it's up to Sakurai to see if he's willing to let them on board. Yargh, pirate analogies~
Shantae shall be a new DLC playable character in Super Smash Bros.4 3DS/Wii U and check my two links in this 1 box thread of Shantae support Community Club! P.S:https://miiverse.nintendo.net/replies/AYMHAAACAAADVHjTjpjzHw

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion

TBH i just want a shantae and risky trophy

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I would like to be added to the support list. I recently bought the original and Risky's Revenge, I haven't beaten the first yet, but I have liked what I played, and would like to see Shantae as a character, her moves in the game fit naturally into Smash.

Plus she's cute.
And a welcome to both of you.

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
WE HAVE A CHANCE! If you guys know Shantae fans, send them that link!

Seriously, I can't believe this is happening. Nintendo taking recommendations for a new Smash character? It almost blows my mind.

I plan to vote for her more than once z despite what the rules say.

#ShantaeForSmash

Also, spread this around!

Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
We can actually vote more then once it appears. I just did it for a small giggle, thinking it won't. But it appears there is no actual limit on voting.
Guys! I've got more supporters on Facebook, which I'm running up for Shantae as a New DLC playable character in T-I-M-E for LEGENDARY Super Smash Bros Franchise! P.S: First, I voted Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja, Shantae especially Shantae YEAH BOY, Geno, Manic & Sonia The Hedgehogs, Neku Sakuraba, Ninten, and more! Keep supporting our Shantae, no matter what and Good-Luck for us all, Y'all and give it EVERYTHING YOU'VE GOT TIL THE END OF OCT. 3RD 2015!
original Shantae.jpg

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Shantae would be a great fighter, especially if they could work in her transformations.

Besides, it waould also be the first time she's offically got a 3D model.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
i voted for her(twice this is the first time were her odds is just as good has everyone else.Let's try to get her in the game either playable or a trophy.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Beside the half genie hero herself what else from the series do you want to get in with here? I''m hoping for this tune for one thing.

Top Bottom