• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cute Baby Pokémon, the Melee underdog: Pichu for DLC Discussion - Under New Ownership! VOTE NOW!

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
People like to underestimate the little guy but he really is the underdog that we need.I say if we can get roy,lucas,mewtwo,and doctor mario back.Than nothing is stopping the little guy from coming back.Wouldn't be surprised if he was found in the data after the lucas patch

shane3x

Saint of Swords
He has no chance, that being said he needs to be more powerful then pikachu to justify taking damage to himself when he attacks otherwise its pointless.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
He has no chance, that being said he needs to be more powerful then pikachu to justify taking damage to himself when he attacks otherwise its pointless.
no character has no change.Pichu has a higher change than a lot of characters seeing as he's a vet.I wouldn't mind if he hit harder than pichu tho

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
He has better stats to compensate for it:
- a bit better jump stat
- a better speed stat.
- a better knockback (somehow)
(Also, grab + back throw = good combo that doesn't give him damage either)

no character has no change.Pichu has a higher change than a lot of characters seeing as he's a vet.I wouldn't mind if he hit harder than pichu tho
Yeah, Sakurai is trying to avoid "alienating" the Melee fans.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
He has better stats to compensate for it:
- a bit better jump stat
- a better speed stat.
- a better knockback (somehow)
(Also, grab + back throw = good combo that doesn't give him damage either)
And yet Pichu and pikachu are on other end of the tier lists, pichu needs some serious buffs.

If the argument is that pichu technically cant have a 0% chance of being included that doesnt speak very highly of him.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
And yet Pichu and pikachu are on other end of the tier lists, pichu needs some serious buffs.

If the argument is that pichu technically cant have a 0% chance of being included that doesnt speak very highly of him.
He's a vet,has a fanbase,easy to make,Sakurai hats removing characters so he might try to bring back as many as possible,etc. You know just for a few

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
He's a vet,has a fanbase,easy to make,Sakurai hats removing characters so he might try to bring back as many as possible,etc. You know just for a few
So, you're saying this to counter his argument:
- Veterans are mostly brought back in Smash 4 (Roy leaked, Lucas confirmed, Mewtwo and Dr Mario returning alongside some of the "Brawl newcomers" like Toon Link...)
- Pichu has quite the number of people voting for him.
- Pichu has his sounds from Melee ready to be reused, and possibly his model from Melee too. Plus, he has an "already created" moveset, making him even easier to make.
- Sakurai's bias goes against removing or cutting veterans, hence why most cut veterans from Melee are brought back in Smash 4, and also why some "Brawl newcomers" are also coming back in Smash 4.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
So, you're saying this to counter his argument:
- Veterans are mostly brought back in Smash 4 (Roy leaked, Lucas confirmed, Mewtwo and Dr Mario returning alongside some of the "Brawl newcomers" like Toon Link...)
- Pichu has quite the number of people voting for him.
- Pichu has his sounds from Melee ready to be reused, and possibly his model from Melee too. Plus, he has an "already created" moveset, making him even easier to make.
- Sakurai's bias goes against removing or cutting veterans, hence why most cut veterans from Melee are brought back in Smash 4, and also why some "Brawl newcomers" are also coming back in Smash 4.
exactly thanks for expanding upon that

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here is a moveset that I made to declone Pichu. Red text are nerfs, green text are buffs, and blue text is astetic. (In a spoiler box cause it's a bit long.)
Pichu takes more Recoil from electric attacks.
Neutral Attack has more range
Dash Attack has less ending lag.
Forward tilt fires a beam of energy (Signal Beam), improving range.
Up Tilt has the up smash’s animation, giving it better range.

It is slower.
Down Tilt has more range.
Neutral Areal has more range.

It does less damage
Pichu has a new Forward Areal. He twirls around as rain appears diagonally in front of him (Rain Dance).
It doesn’t hurt Pichu.
Pichu has a new Back Areal. He kicks behind himself while shooting electricity from his leg.
This has more range, damage, and KO power.
It also has more ending lag, and hurts Pichu for 4%.
Up Areal has more range.
Pichu has a new Down Areal. He pauses for a moment, then kicks diagonally downward.
This has no recoil.
It has more ending lag and does less damage.
Pichu’s Forward Smash deals more damage and knockback.
It has more recoil and ending lag. It does 4% to Pichu.
Pichu has a new Up Smash. Pichu fires electricity straight up.
This has more range, damage and knockback.
This attack has recoil and ending lag. It does 3% to Pichu.
Pichu has a new Down Smash. He fires electricity all around him.
This attack has more range, damage and knockback.
It has more recoil and ending lag. It does 6% to Pichu.
Pichu has a new Pummel. He punches the opponent, so there is no recoil.
Pichu has a new Forward Throw. He cutely throws the opponent.
No Recoil.
It deals less damage and knockback.
Pichu no longer uses electricity with his Up Throw.
Pichu no longer uses electricity with his Down Throw.
Pichu has a new Neutral Special: Volt Switch. He fires a ball of electricity. If it hits, he swaps places with the opponent.

This improves Pichu’s recovery.
He takes more recoil damage. He takes 3% using the move, and 5% switching.
Skull Bash no longer deals electric damage.
Agility no longer hurts Pichu.
Thunder has more KO power.

It has more recoil. It does 4% to Pichu if it hits him.
Pichu has a new final Smash: Bide. he hits all opponents around him with 2 times the damage he has. This is the only final smash that can do 1% or 999% damage.

Number Three

Smash Cadet
I would love for Pichu to make a return. Sure, he sucked in Melee but he was so fun to play as that I really didn't care. I don't think he's very likely, mostly because six Pokemon reps is already a ton, but the argument of "this character has to be relevant" is thrown out the window now because Roy got in and he's far from relevant. He also represents Generation II, so 4 out of the 6 generations would be represented by playable characters.

Personally, if he does miraculously come back, I think all recoil attacks should do just 1% to him. Also, Agility and Skull Bash should not have any recoil because they're not electric type moves. Sure, he will need some more serious buffs to put him in line with a majority of the cast, even though he was a joke character, but I think that is a good start. I could see Pichu being somewhat decent in Smash 4, assuming he gets a ton of buffs. Since there's the rage mechanic, he could just boost his damage to to rage for KOs if he wants.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
mostly because six Pokemon reps is already a ton
If we got all veterans back we would have 9 Pokémon characters. That is a lot compared to the other series but it isn't invading the entire roster. Also "reps" means nothing t Sakurai.
I think all recoil attacks should do just 1% to him. Since there's the rage mechanic, he could just boost his damage to to rage for KOs if he wants.
That would take a loooooong time if you only hit yourself for one damage each electric attack.
Also, Agility and Skull Bash should not have any recoil because they're not electric type moves. Sure, he will need some more serious buffs to put him in line with a majority of the cast, even though he was a joke character, but I think that is a good start. I could see Pichu being somewhat decent in Smash 4, assuming he gets a ton of buffs.
If you want my opinion on what should happen to Pichu, look at my decloned Pichu moveset above your post. :3

Last edited:

Darth Nightmaricus

Smash Cadet
NNID
105087bradyisman
I really want all previously playable characters to be in this game, too.

Plus, Pichu is just too adorable. He's my favorite Pokemon.

So sign me up.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U has the biggest roster yet, but there are some characters missing from the previous games. With DLC, now is the perfect time to get them back. All they need is support!
Wolf
The leader of the rival team: Star Wolf is looking more likely every day! But every supporter counts. :3
http://smashboards.com/threads/cant-let-you-cut-me-sakurai-wolf-for-dlc.324209/page-128
Ice Climbers
These two kids had some trouble working on the 3Ds version, but with the proper adjustments, I believe that SoPo won't be the only way they can rejoin the fight. Let's support a fellow veteran in their darkest hour!
http://smashboards.com/threads/brea...ion-thread-under-new-ownership.324176/page-71
Squirtle
This Pokémon was most likely worked on before, and maybe even after Charizard's reveal. Popularity was the only thing keeping him out then, and it's the only thing keeping him out now. He needs your support now more than ever!
http://smashboards.com/threads/squi...-squirtle-in-the-fighter-ballot.380462/page-2
Ivysaur
Ivysaur was cut along side Squirtle because Charizard was more popular. Ivysaur is going to need your help so he can join Squirtle and Charizard back into the fray with a shiny new Down Special!

http://smashboards.com/threads/ivys...-the-smash-ballot.386368/page-6#post-19460373
Snake
Most people think Snake can't get in because he is owned by a third party company that isn't doing well, and that de wouldn't fit the cartooney style of Super Smash Bros. for the 3Ds/Wii U. It's time to show them how wrong they are, and with enough support, anything can happen!

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-solid-snake-for-smash-dlc-thread-new-revamped-op.324205/page-174
Young Link
Young Link was cut back in Brawl, supposedly replaced by Toon Link. It's time to show everyone how different Young Link can be from Toon Link. The dawn of the third day is upon us. This is Young Link's last chance!

http://smashboards.com/threads/dawn...hope-for-moveset-changes-rises.324215/page-12
Pichu
This poor Pokémon has been the center of hate for years. Not only was he a Pikachu clone, but he hurt himself when using an electric attack. But now that Sakurai has shown us that he is willing to put work into the clone veterans, Pichu has a chance to become something better, and more unique. All he needs is the support!

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...n-under-new-ownership-vote-now.324198/page-14
Now is our time! Let's get our veterans Back!
We are going to need more people if the Pichu thread is going to survive. I think it would be in our best interests for the veteran supporters to join together.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I support Pichu. He was a fun and cute character in Melee. I don't think he's likely, but he would be fun to play as if he got in.
Three things that must be brought back if he DOES come back though is his naircopter, multiple-pose taunt and that top-tier cute voice.

Last edited:

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
My sister voted for Pichu as a joke.
It'd be funny if Pichu actually made it back because of this.

(She has a habit of voting for characters with no chance, like Ridley)

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533

As long as it helps the cause. That's what matters.

And pichu will return because the gods desire it. It will happen.

Darth Nightmaricus

Smash Cadet
NNID
105087bradyisman

No chance?
You have committed heresy against our lord Ridley.
Just kidding.
Still, I hope for Ridley....since his Super Metroid design could be playable...
But still, watch what you say.
Pichu and Young Link, along with the other cut vets, have a way higher chance than a random newcomer. Ridley, King K. Rool, Isaac, Shovel Knight, Dixie Kong, Banjo and Kazooie, Shantae, etc. are also up there in the most likely list. I bet you Plusle/Minun, Toon Zelda, and Tetra are also in the high ups of the list.

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
No chance?
You have committed heresy against our lord Ridley.
Just kidding.
Still, I hope for Ridley....since his Super Metroid design could be playable...
But still, watch what you say.
Pichu and Young Link, along with the other cut vets, have a way higher chance than a random newcomer. Ridley, King K. Rool, Isaac, Shovel Knight, Dixie Kong, Banjo and Kazooie, Shantae, etc. are also up there in the most likely list. I bet you Plusle/Minun, Toon Zelda, and Tetra are also in the high ups of the list.
Well, I would personally rather have a veteran back then a newcomer..., after all.

Top Bottom