• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cute Baby Pokémon, the Melee underdog: Pichu for DLC Discussion - Under New Ownership! VOTE NOW!

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
Hey, man, I appreciate your input, but you're not really telling us anything we don't already know--WE PICHU FANS WILL NOT TOLERATE NEGATIVITY! PICHU , USE THUNDER BOLT! Lol but in all seriousness, Pichu isn't a character that should need the ballot--he is the beloved Baby pokemon and younger sibling-esque character to Pikachu. The only veterans that need the ballot are the ones with hurdles--Ice Climbers and Snake--
Agreed.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I hate to interrupt...whatever THIS is...:rolleyes:
But what do you all think Pichu's role would have been in the SSE, had he been playable in Brawl?

Furret24

Smash Master
Hey guys, I hate to interrupt...whatever THIS is...:rolleyes:
But what do you all think Pichu's role would have been in the SSE, had he been playable in Brawl?
None. He would probably be a last-minute addition, much like Jiggles, Toon Link, and Wolf.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
He think he would've been the scared trainee under King DeDeDe's wing and every time he and King Dedede encountered someone DeDeDe would make Pichu hold the trophy beam and Pichu would just cry out scared and accidentally turn DeDeDe into a trophy as some sort of running gag. Then when you faced the Blue Butterfly Dude (forgot his name), Pichu would be among the crowd with that tries-to-be-serious-but-looks-cute-regardless face, showing that he grew brave over the course of the game.

Furret24

Smash Master
He think he would've been the scared trainee under King DeDeDe's wing and every time he and King Dedede encountered someone DeDeDe would make Pichu hold the trophy beam and Pichu would just cry out scared and accidentally turn DeDeDe into a trophy as some sort of running gag. Then when you faced the Blue Butterfly Dude (forgot his name), Pichu would be among the crowd with that tries-to-be-serious-but-looks-cute-regardless face, showing that he grew brave over the course of the game.
Neat idea, but it sounds kind of like Lucas' role in SSE (which G&W should've gotten more time in).

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Pichu:172::pichumelee:

Also, I'm assuming you guys have heard about the whole 6 character theory up on reddit. Here is my dreams list
1. Wolf
2. Snake
3. Ice Climbers
4. Pichu
5. Ivysaur
6. SquirTle

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Neat idea, but it sounds kind of like Lucas' role in SSE (which G&W should've gotten more time in).
Actually, I feel that Pichu should have taken the role of Plusle and Minun's role in Pokemon's Deoxys movie, in this case, Pichu would meet Lucas shortly after being rescued by Ness from Porky and Wario. Lucas finds him kind of cute, and Pichu, also growing fond of him, decides to stroll around with him, up until they meet Red and his Squirtle, where they all come into contact with more of the Subspace Army. After remembering Ness's kidnapping, and Red, Squirtle, and Pichu helping him, they fight off the Army, and Lucas and Pichu agree to travel with Red in the meantime.

Last edited:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
If you guys don't vote for Pichu, I will threaten you and never live up to it.

Bootortle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J-Dudd
3DS FC
0259-0284-1711
Switch FC
SW-4554-3900-0616
If you guys don't vote for Pichu, I will threaten you and never live up to it.
Dude, I- uh...

Pichu was one of my favorite characters in Melee. But my vote, I did not vote for him. My heart belongs to another melee veterans... I- I still miss them. You know the pair of whom I speak. ;_;

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
Dude, I- uh...

Pichu was one of my favorite characters in Melee. But my vote, I did not vote for him. My heart belongs to another melee veterans... I- I still miss them. You know the pair of whom I speak. ;_;
There's only 1 other Melee veteran though.

Last edited:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
There's only 1 other Melee veteran though.
I think he was referring to Ice Climbers. They have the unique attribute of being two-time veterans when being cut. Some messed up tragic irony that Sm4sh is supposed to be a Melee-Brawl hybrid yet they were in both and got cut.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Are you ready for this!? LETS GO!!!

Aesthetics:

This is the comparison of Pichu using his melee model and his Pokemon X & Y model.

Pichu, like almost all of the other Pokemon in smash will have an appearance very similar to his X & Y appearance. Unlike Melee, he's a little bit thinner, his mouth isn't all ways open, the black lines on his ears are bigger, his eyes are cross eyed, his head is smaller and more round, and his collar is simplified.

Idle Animations:

Pichu bobs up and down at a steady pace, looking around himself.

Pichu scratches his ear.

Taunts:

His up taunt. He jumps up in the air 3 times while chanting his name.

His side taunt. This taunt actually originated from melee, even though characters could only have one taunt. Pichu and Captain Falcon were different though. When Pichu had its back facing the camera, this taunt would play instead of his regular taunt, making him have two taunts. He lays on the ground wiggling his feet and arms while chanting his name.

Pichu's down taunt shows him sleeping. This is a reference to how people in the smash community denote some one's play as boring causing them to sleep.

Movement:

His walking animation.

His running animation.

His tip toeing animation.

Attacks:

His headbutt. Comes out quick and almost lagless. Deals 3% each time.

His rapid jab. This is like Pikachu's rapid jab in two ways. One way is because it isn't really a rapid jab. It just comes out quick enough to look like one. The other way is because they both use their heads. This attack is virtually lagless. Deals 3% every hit.

His dash attack. It's like Pikachu as it has a bit of ending lag. It has a hit box on its forehead, ears, and its tail.
Tail = 1% damage
Ear = 2% damage
Forehead = 3% damage
Total = 6% damage

His up smash. Just like in melee it deals a great amount of damage. It can KO even heavy characters as early as +100%. Deals a staggering 30% if fully charged, 15% if half charged and 5% if uncharged.
Uncharged = 5% damage
Half charged = 15% damage
Charged = 30% damage
Total = 50% damage

His down smash. Unlike in melee, this attacks casts electricity, so it hurts Pichu. It deals .50% damage each time it hits some one, and does 1% alone if it hits no one. It hits 4 times, so using it on some one would deal 2% damage to pichu each time.
Uncharged = .50% to Pichu
Half charged = .75% to Pichu
Charged = 1.50% damage to Pichu
If it hits some one = 2% damage to Pichu and 10% to whoever it hits

His forward smash. Unlike Pikachu's, this smash is easy to DI out of, but when it hits it deals 20% damage. Whether it hits or not, it deals 1% damage to Pichu. The ball does 15% damage and the electric tail does 5% damage.
Electric ball = 15% damage
Electric tail = 5% damage
Total = 20% damage

Tilts:

His up tilt. Good for juggling characters and comboing into strings. Deals 2% damage each time.

His down tilt. He swings his tail out. Has the tripping effect. Deals 2% damage each time.

His side tilt. He stands on his hands while plugging his feet behind him. A little laggy on start up and is great for keeping people away. Deal 4% damage each time.

Air attributes:

His jumping animation.

His double jump animation.

What happens when he jumps backwards.

His Nair. This move is notorious for being one of Pichu's only useful combo moves. This, up air, and bair are the three attacks in his air arsenal that doesn't deal damage to Pichu. Has a hit box on his tail, ears, and head.
Ear = 1% damage
Tail = 2% damage
Head = 2.5% damage
Total = 5.5% damage

His fair. He twirls around in midair while electricity comes from his head. Deal 3% damage to Pichu and 5% damage to whoever it hits. Has a bit of cool down so it can be punished easily.

His bair. He twirls around horizontally in midair swinging his tail. Has a hit box on his ears, his tail and his feet.
1 foot = .40% damage
1 ear = 1.5% damage
Tail = 2
Total damage = 5.8% damage

His up air. Pichu's up air is strange as at one point it does 3% then it drops down to 2%. He spins around in a circle swinging his tail. Only has a hit box on his tail.

His dair. Has spiking potential, but not easy to perform. Deals 6% damage. If he hits the ground while doing his dair he has a lot of cool down, making it very unsafe to do close to the ground.

His helpless animation.

Being foot stooled.

Getting hit:

His slight flinch.

Getting hit hard enough to fly back a bit.

Getting hit hard enough to fly off the stage.

This animation will play if Pichu has no chance of surviving a blow, no matter how much DI is input.

Grabs:

His grabbing animation.

Grabbing some one.

His pummel. He sends electricity through the victim's body, but startles himself causing him to shock himself. Deals 1% to both the person being grabbed and Pichu.

His forward throw. He puts the victim on his back, sending electricity through them and himself, sending them diagonally upwards. This is his only throw that hurts him.
Deals .50% damage to both each time they're shocked. Since it hits 5 times, it deals 2.5% damage to both.

His up throw. He simply throws the opponent into the air. Deals 4% damage. Can be combo'ed into his down special.

His back throw. While holding the victim, he rolls backwards and throws them behind him. Sends victims flying diagonally downwards, so if done by the edge sends them almost completely below the stage. Deals 5% damage.

His down throw. He throws the player on the ground, and then smacks him with his tail. Sends victims flying diagonally upwards. Good for comboing. Deals 3% damage.

Specials:

His side B. He charges himself up and goes flying into the direction he's facing. Deals various amounts of damages to Pichu and different percents if charged, uncharged, or half charged.
Uncharged = 1%(to pichu) and 5%(to the opponent)
Half charged = 3%(to pichu) and 15%(to the opponent)
Charged = 5%(to pichu) and 25%(to opponent)

His neutral B. He shoots out a ball of electricity that travels along the ground for a period of time. Good for spacing and can be used in the air. Deals 1% of damage to Pichu each time used. Deals 3% to the opponent.

His down B. He casts a cloud of electricity that shoots thunder onto him. Deals 6% to Pichu, 5% to the opponent, and 15% all together if it spikes the opponent onto Pichu.
Thunder = 5% damage
Touching Pichu = 10% damage

His up B. He uses his quick attack that sends him in 2 directions. It can't be aimed in the same direction twice. Players are advised to use it wisely, as it deals 2% damage to Pichu on the first part, and 3% damage on the second. It is also slower than Pikachu's which can leave Pichu vulnerable to being spiked as it doesn't deal damage to others.

Victory Screens:

He jumps up and down chanting his name, then stopping to look at the camera smiling.

He twirls on his left foot with his right in front twice, then stopping with his right arm in the air, and his right foot behind him.

He lays on the floor sleeping, twitching his foot a bit, then goes back to sleep.

Miscellaneous:

His screen KO.

His star KO. He cries out, "Pika Pichu!"

His shield being broken. He says hazily, "Pi-i-ichu-u-u..."

Pichu after Jigglypuff uses her up-b on him or he falls asleep another way. He rocks on his back sucking his thumb.

Getting 2nd place. He claps his hands while swaying his head.

His spot dodge.

Shielding.

His air dodge.

His roll.

Teching the ground.

Trophies:

His first trophy
The description reads:

Pichu is a small, ground-dwelling rodent Pokémon with pale yellow fur. Its eartips, collar, and tail are black and angular. Pichu's pink cheek pouches can store small amounts of electricity, and its tiny nose looks like a dot. Pichu is classified as a quadruped, but it can walk easily on its hind legs.

Pichu is a social Pokémon known for its playful and mischievous demeanor. It is usually found in groups and often touch tails with other Pichu as a show of courage, creating a shower of sparks that can make them cry. It is inept at storing electricity, and may discharge if amused, startled, or subjected to shock. However, it cannot discharge without being shocked itself. Charging up is more easily done on days of dryness or thunderclouds. The crackling of static electricity generated by Pichu is audible. It can zap an adult human, but will surprise itself if it does. Pichu primarily lives in the forest, though it has also been depicted to thrive in urban areas.

His second trophy
The description reads:

Pichu can use its speed to its advantage. While it does take damage if using electrical attacks, the one that don't give recoil damage are very useful tools for comboing. He's the 3rd lightest character in the game, a spot held by Mr. Game and Watch before. If his shield breaks, unlike other light characters excluding Jigglypuff, he will fly up higher. At +100% he will die if his shield breaks, much like Jigglypuff.

His third trophy
The description reads:

All of Pichu's special attacks deal damage to him. When recovering, it is noted to take caution and save your jumps, as his specials will kill him. What makes it even worse for Pichu is the fact that his up special cannot deal damage unlike Pikachu, so he can be easily spiked. However, his side special skull bash is much more powerful than Pikachu, killing very early close to the ledge.
Tier placement:

Pichu has pretty bad range, but it is not nearly as bad when compared to his range in melee. It is only slightly worse than Pikachu's range. Because most of his attacks cause him damage, players are limited to a number of moves they can use. If some one were to down b while Pichu was at 100%, he would die from it because of the multiple strong hit boxes. However, he is very quick on his feet, and his nair and up air can keep opponents in the air for long periods of time. His up smash, like in melee, is also one of the strongest moves in the game. It can kill DK uncharged at 90%. He can be very tricky and hard to catch, and his extended wave dash is easy to do for mind gaming the other player. Pichu would probably be in the C- tier.

Furret24

Smash Master
Are you ready for this!? LETS GO!!!

Aesthetics:

This is the comparison of Pichu using his melee model and his Pokemon X & Y model.

Pichu, like almost all of the other Pokemon in smash will have an appearance very similar to his X & Y appearance. Unlike Melee, he's a little bit thinner, his mouth isn't all ways open, the black lines on his ears are bigger, his eyes are cross eyed, his head is smaller and more round, and his collar is simplified.

Idle Animations:

Pichu bobs up and down at a steady pace, looking around himself.

Pichu scratches his ear.

Taunts:

His up taunt. He jumps up in the air 3 times while chanting his name.

His side taunt. This taunt actually originated from melee, even though characters could only have one taunt. Pichu and Captain Falcon were different though. When Pichu had its back facing the camera, this taunt would play instead of his regular taunt, making him have two taunts. He lays on the ground wiggling his feet and arms while chanting his name.

Pichu's down taunt shows him sleeping. This is a reference to how people in the smash community denote some one's play as boring causing them to sleep.

Movement:

His walking animation.

His running animation.

His tip toeing animation.

Attacks:

His headbutt. Comes out quick and almost lagless. Deals 3% each time.

His rapid jab. This is like Pikachu's rapid jab in two ways. One way is because it isn't really a rapid jab. It just comes out quick enough to look like one. The other way is because they both use their heads. This attack is virtually lagless. Deals 3% every hit.

His dash attack. It's like Pikachu as it has a bit of ending lag. It has a hit box on its forehead, ears, and its tail.
Tail = 1% damage
Ear = 2% damage
Forehead = 3% damage
Total = 6% damage

His up smash. Just like in melee it deals a great amount of damage. It can KO even heavy characters as early as +100%. Deals a staggering 30% if fully charged, 15% if half charged and 5% if uncharged.
Uncharged = 5% damage
Half charged = 15% damage
Charged = 30% damage
Total = 50% damage

His down smash. Unlike in melee, this attacks casts electricity, so it hurts Pichu. It deals .50% damage each time it hits some one, and does 1% alone if it hits no one. It hits 4 times, so using it on some one would deal 2% damage to pichu each time.
Uncharged = .50% to Pichu
Half charged = .75% to Pichu
Charged = 1.50% damage to Pichu
If it hits some one = 2% damage to Pichu and 10% to whoever it hits

His forward smash. Unlike Pikachu's, this smash is easy to DI out of, but when it hits it deals 20% damage. Whether it hits or not, it deals 1% damage to Pichu. The ball does 15% damage and the electric tail does 5% damage.
Electric ball = 15% damage
Electric tail = 5% damage
Total = 20% damage

Tilts:

His up tilt. Good for juggling characters and comboing into strings. Deals 2% damage each time.

His down tilt. He swings his tail out. Has the tripping effect. Deals 2% damage each time.

His side tilt. He stands on his hands while plugging his feet behind him. A little laggy on start up and is great for keeping people away. Deal 4% damage each time.

Air attributes:

His jumping animation.

His double jump animation.

What happens when he jumps backwards.

His Nair. This move is notorious for being one of Pichu's only useful combo moves. This, up air, and bair are the three attacks in his air arsenal that doesn't deal damage to Pichu. Has a hit box on his tail, ears, and head.
Ear = 1% damage
Tail = 2% damage
Head = 2.5% damage
Total = 5.5% damage

His fair. He twirls around in midair while electricity comes from his head. Deal 3% damage to Pichu and 5% damage to whoever it hits. Has a bit of cool down so it can be punished easily.

His bair. He twirls around horizontally in midair swinging his tail. Has a hit box on his ears, his tail and his feet.
1 foot = .40% damage
1 ear = 1.5% damage
Tail = 2
Total damage = 5.8% damage

His up air. Pichu's up air is strange as at one point it does 3% then it drops down to 2%. He spins around in a circle swinging his tail. Only has a hit box on his tail.

His dair. Has spiking potential, but not easy to perform. Deals 6% damage. If he hits the ground while doing his dair he has a lot of cool down, making it very unsafe to do close to the ground.

His helpless animation.

Being foot stooled.

Getting hit:

His slight flinch.

Getting hit hard enough to fly back a bit.

Getting hit hard enough to fly off the stage.

This animation will play if Pichu has no chance of surviving a blow, no matter how much DI is input.

Grabs:

His grabbing animation.

Grabbing some one.

His pummel. He sends electricity through the victim's body, but startles himself causing him to shock himself. Deals 1% to both the person being grabbed and Pichu.

His forward throw. He puts the victim on his back, sending electricity through them and himself, sending them diagonally upwards. This is his only throw that hurts him.
Deals .50% damage to both each time they're shocked. Since it hits 5 times, it deals 2.5% damage to both.

His up throw. He simply throws the opponent into the air. Deals 4% damage. Can be combo'ed into his down special.

His back throw. While holding the victim, he rolls backwards and throws them behind him. Sends victims flying diagonally downwards, so if done by the edge sends them almost completely below the stage. Deals 5% damage.

His down throw. He throws the player on the ground, and then smacks him with his tail. Sends victims flying diagonally upwards. Good for comboing. Deals 3% damage.

Specials:

His side B. He charges himself up and goes flying into the direction he's facing. Deals various amounts of damages to Pichu and different percents if charged, uncharged, or half charged.
Uncharged = 1%(to pichu) and 5%(to the opponent)
Half charged = 3%(to pichu) and 15%(to the opponent)
Charged = 5%(to pichu) and 25%(to opponent)

His neutral B. He shoots out a ball of electricity that travels along the ground for a period of time. Good for spacing and can be used in the air. Deals 1% of damage to Pichu each time used. Deals 3% to the opponent.

His down B. He casts a cloud of electricity that shoots thunder onto him. Deals 6% to Pichu, 5% to the opponent, and 15% all together if it spikes the opponent onto Pichu.
Thunder = 5% damage
Touching Pichu = 10% damage

His up B. He uses his quick attack that sends him in 2 directions. It can't be aimed in the same direction twice. Players are advised to use it wisely, as it deals 2% damage to Pichu on the first part, and 3% damage on the second. It is also slower than Pikachu's which can leave Pichu vulnerable to being spiked as it doesn't deal damage to others.

Victory Screens:

He jumps up and down chanting his name, then stopping to look at the camera smiling.

He twirls on his left foot with his right in front twice, then stopping with his right arm in the air, and his right foot behind him.

He lays on the floor sleeping, twitching his foot a bit, then goes back to sleep.

Miscellaneous:

His screen KO.

His star KO. He cries out, "Pika Pichu!"

His shield being broken. He says hazily, "Pi-i-ichu-u-u..."

Pichu after Jigglypuff uses her up-b on him or he falls asleep another way. He rocks on his back sucking his thumb.

Getting 2nd place. He claps his hands while swaying his head.

His spot dodge.

Shielding.

His air dodge.

His roll.

Teching the ground.

Trophies:

His first trophy
The description reads:

Pichu is a small, ground-dwelling rodent Pokémon with pale yellow fur. Its eartips, collar, and tail are black and angular. Pichu's pink cheek pouches can store small amounts of electricity, and its tiny nose looks like a dot. Pichu is classified as a quadruped, but it can walk easily on its hind legs.

Pichu is a social Pokémon known for its playful and mischievous demeanor. It is usually found in groups and often touch tails with other Pichu as a show of courage, creating a shower of sparks that can make them cry. It is inept at storing electricity, and may discharge if amused, startled, or subjected to shock. However, it cannot discharge without being shocked itself. Charging up is more easily done on days of dryness or thunderclouds. The crackling of static electricity generated by Pichu is audible. It can zap an adult human, but will surprise itself if it does. Pichu primarily lives in the forest, though it has also been depicted to thrive in urban areas.

His second trophy
The description reads:

Pichu can use its speed to its advantage. While it does take damage if using electrical attacks, the one that don't give recoil damage are very useful tools for comboing. He's the 3rd lightest character in the game, a spot held by Mr. Game and Watch before. If his shield breaks, unlike other light characters excluding Jigglypuff, he will fly up higher. At +100% he will die if his shield breaks, much like Jigglypuff.

His third trophy
The description reads:

All of Pichu's special attacks deal damage to him. When recovering, it is noted to take caution and save your jumps, as his specials will kill him. What makes it even worse for Pichu is the fact that his up special cannot deal damage unlike Pikachu, so he can be easily spiked. However, his side special skull bash is much more powerful than Pikachu, killing very early close to the ledge.
Tier placement:

Pichu has pretty bad range, but it is not nearly as bad when compared to his range in melee. It is only slightly worse than Pikachu's range. Because most of his attacks cause him damage, players are limited to a number of moves they can use. If some one were to down b while Pichu was at 100%, he would die from it because of the multiple strong hit boxes. However, he is very quick on his feet, and his nair and up air can keep opponents in the air for long periods of time. His up smash, like in melee, is also one of the strongest moves in the game. It can kill DK uncharged at 90%. He can be very tricky and hard to catch, and his extended wave dash is easy to do for mind gaming the other player. Pichu would probably be in the C- tier.
I like how this is formatted, but Pichu's damage output in this moveset is even worse than Sheik.

SuperSmashCam

Smash Rookie
NNID
SuperSmashBroMas
3DS FC
0877-3679-8331
I would love to see Pichu again! I never played Melee so I never gotten to play as him too... Plus it won't feel like smash bros without him. Almost every single veteran has came back, Pokemon Trainer, and Ice Climbers already have a reason not to be in. Wolf is pretty much at this point guaranteed, so the only character that needs to be confirmed is Pichu...

SuperSmashCam

Smash Rookie
NNID
SuperSmashBroMas
3DS FC
0877-3679-8331
I like how this is formatted, but Pichu's damage output in this moveset is even worse than Sheik.
Fabulous! You know since he is going to deal less damage and knockback than Pikachu, it sounds like he is going to have the same combo potential as Sheik. But what is even crazier to think about is Pichu plus rage..., everytime he uses and attack, he gets stronger... Especially since he is going to be faster than Pikachu like in melee, and harder to hit because he is smaller than Pikachu, he would be like a Combo - Glass Cannon, if he keeps that crazy Up smash, F smash, and combo throws he could potentially become as strong, or even strong then pikachu, hopefully they don't make him as light as Mewtwo tho, but close to Pikachu's weight. Btw they need to fix Mewtwo's weight too.

Top Bottom