• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cute Baby Pokémon, the Melee underdog: Pichu for DLC Discussion - Under New Ownership! VOTE NOW!

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
A Mario Maker DLC stage has been announced for September 30th. I have a hunch that a character will also be revealed. Said character will be Shrek Pichu. I'm probably wrong, but we gotta keep hope going, right?

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
"To put it the other way, if you can win with this character, you’ll look really cool.
If you see some brave warrior using this character in high level tournament matches, please applaud for them." -Sakuri

The best quote ever.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Hello guys! I just wanted to drop by and say I'd love to see Pichu make his return to Smash Bros. I know I'm a little late, but I believe the little critter could be brought back with ease! 'CHU!
Alright, guys, here's my butter and bread about the topic--Pichu is the last remaining Veteran from Melee that hasn't seen another Smash appearance. Now, you might think "what about Young Link?" but to that I say "Toon Link", sure they're different characters, but Toon Link represents the same gimmick--and should this iteration of Link be called Twilight Link? NO!
Another thing is Roy--we got a third Marth clone (now Semi-clone, I suppose) and people tell us that a SECOND Pichu is bad? NO!
Also, Pichu is really popular in the Japanese crowd--why, you might ask?--because the Japanese go berserk over something so cute and adorable! And what's to say Americans don't? I admit, Pichu is fourth on my list of DLC wants--but that didn't stop me from voting for that little munchkin. I want you guys to sit and ponder that poor little creature all alone crying while his fellow pokemon friends are battling it out. I realize that there's six Pokemon already on the roster, but Pichu can be that lucky number #7

Last edited:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Also, Plusle and Minum (who have unfinished data in Brawl) probably would've more or less replaced Pichu in the game in the same vein as Young Link, providing further speculation that no Melee vets were really meant to be cut some (Mewtwo, Roy) were cut in their orignal form, but Pichu was dropped to be spiritually replaced with Plusle + Minum--they are Pikachu-esque characters.

Furret24

Smash Master
Also, Plusle and Minum (who have unfinished data in Brawl) probably would've more or less replaced Pichu in the game in the same vein as Young Link, providing further speculation that no Melee vets were really meant to be cut some (Mewtwo, Roy) were cut in their orignal form, but Pichu was dropped to be spiritually replaced with Plusle + Minum--they are Pikachu-esque characters.
That's a nice double post you got there.

Furret24

Smash Master
That's a nice double post you got there.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'd take this idea in a heartbeat in the chance that Pichu does NOT return to Smash.

Furret24

Smash Master
Ah, sorry. I thought I could get away with it since there was a day or two between the posts
Nah, I'm just messing around. I've made this same post word for word before in similar situations.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I've always thought of Pichu returning to Smash bringing Plusle and Minun as alts, due to the fact that team up characters are no longer a thing (RIP Ice Climbers). That would have been so neat, to see Pichu come back technically as a duo character in terms of Plusle and Minun, I think that would have been one of my favorite characters.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
There was never any Plusle or Minun data. That was a false rumour based upon a misunderstanding of the japanese name of the random button. They would, however, have been pretty cool characters, what with their ability to seperate and then magnetically snap back together.

Last edited:

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
There was never any Plussle or Minun data. That was a false rumour based upon a misunderstanding of the japanese name of the random button. They would, however, have been pretty cool characters, what with their ability to seperate and then magnetically snap back together.
I thought the "fact" that it was a misconception was disproven.

Last edited:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
That'd be cool if there was a Pokemon Pack
-Squirtle
-Ivysaur
-Pichu
-Saffron City
-Pokefloats
-Pokemon Stadium

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
So one more day. I'd encourage anyone to vote for pichu while you can.

Let's see what the ballot brings us, if its pichu I'd be extremely excited. However I'm not sure if they're going to announce the winner on the 3rd or not, I hope they do because suspense

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I think before its too late, consider me a supporter for Pichu's eventual return to Smash Bros. Although I didn't vote for Pichu, and there are a number of characters that I supported that I didn't vote for. Regardless, sign me up on this little spark plug's support wall.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
You know, Pichu actually has a decent advantage. Sakurai has always squeezed out every character he cculd (clones in Melee, I have a theory that Sonic allowed Wolf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff to come in, and the forbidden 3 in 4), who's to say DLC isn't any different? Only thing Pichu needs unique to itself is a model and a different voice actor--similar to Roy. The only thing I'd add is that he shouldn't be 4.99--maybe like 2.99 for one and 3.99 for both--he could be that "cheaper" character and he would also appeal to the younger demographic and his cuteness would practically market itself

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know, Pichu actually has a decent advantage. Sakurai has always squeezed out every character he cculd (clones in Melee, I have a theory that Sonic allowed Wolf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff to come in, and the forbidden 3 in 4), who's to say DLC isn't any different? Only thing Pichu needs unique to itself is a model and a different voice actor--similar to Roy. The only thing I'd add is that he shouldn't be 4.99--maybe like 2.99 for one and 3.99 for both--he could be that "cheaper" character and he would also appeal to the younger demographic and his cuteness would practically market itself
That'd be a good idea! You also make a fair point, considering Pichu's unfortunate rep as THE joke character of Smash among casuals, Nintendo might want to play it safe, and sell him for even cheaper. Though I should mention, Believe or not, but Jun Fukuyama, Roy's voice actor from SSBM, actually returned to reprise his role as Roy for Smash 4 with new voice clips. Sakurai even mentions that he was excited to return to voicing Roy, and that he surprisingly remembered ALL of his lines as Roy in Melee from 2001, even though 13-14 years have passed since then. That being said, who do you guys think would voice Pichu, in the event that he DOES, by some MIRACLE return to Smash? I've personally got my sights set on Satomi Korogi returning to reprise her role as him from Melee, or get, and while I greatly doubt it would happen, I'd like to see it come true, Shoko Nakagawa. Considering her role as the Spiky-Eared Pichu, it seems to be VERY popular in Japan, so maybe they'll want to market that? Also, Nakagawa's voice coming out of the playable Pichu from Smash? That'd be all kinds of adorable!

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
That'd be a good idea! You also make a fair point, considering Pichu's unfortunate rep as THE joke character of Smash among casuals, Nintendo might want to play it safe, and sell him for even cheaper. Though I should mention, Believe or not, but Jun Fukuyama, Roy's voice actor from SSBM, actually returned to reprise his role as Roy for Smash 4 with new voice clips. Sakurai even mentions that he was excited to return to voicing Roy, and that he surprisingly remembered ALL of his lines as Roy in Melee from 2001, even though 13-14 years have passed since then. That being said, who do you guys think would voice Pichu, in the event that he DOES, by some MIRACLE return to Smash? I've personally got my sights set on Satomi Korogi returning to reprise her role as him from Melee, or get, and while I greatly doubt it would happen, I'd like to see it come true, Shoko Nakagawa. Considering her role as the Spiky-Eared Pichu, it seems to be VERY popular in Japan, so maybe they'll want to market that? Also, Nakagawa's voice coming out of the playable Pichu from Smash? That'd be all kinds of adorable!
What are you implying?

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
As Pichu would say , "Pichu, Pichu, Pichu" >:( lol I think he was referring to a different voice actor.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It seems you are saying pichu has a slim chance of making it in smash. We don't talk like that here :pichumelee:
Whoops, you're right. Sorry about that. Don't get me wrong, I REALLY want Pichu back. Heck, if/when he returns, alongside Y.Link I'm done with Melee vets, though if he was in the initial Smash 4 release, rather than Doc, I DEFINITELY wouldn't have cared whether or not Doc returned, though I guess I'm still happy they're bringing Melee vets back at all. However, now that the Smash Ballot has closed, I'm looking at things a little "too" realistically now, and as much as I really, REALLY want Pichu back, I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. Though, with the return of Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, and Roy, I have a lot of hope, just...not enough....

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
imo it makes no sense to leave pichu out. pichu could be like an "extra" dlc alongside the ballot winner.

pichu is the only melee vet not in the game, save young link who has been decloned as toon link

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Young Link was only called so because he was a younger version of the Link in the game--now the two links are from different timelines, so while this incarnation of Link is "young" he is not the same so Young is inaccurate in that sense. Pichu, however, is Pichu--Making him come back would take care of all Melee vets as previously said.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So does anyone here feel like maybe Pichu should be released as DLC for cheap, or be released unannounced as DLC, like, he would come in as a pack-in with someone else?

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
The cut pokemon, while minor on their own, would be great if they were released together--6.99 for ALL THREE on one version and 7.99 for both. Cheaper deal for those three--Pichu is easy, Squirtle could model off Yoshi and uses a F.L.U.D.D-esque B special, Ivysaur would probably be the hardest as he walks on all fours and needs his own model probably. Slap Pokefloats and/or Pokemon Stadium 2 in with them and I think it would sell. Pokemon get's fresh new stages and characters each game--and as a result, has the most cut content of the franchises.

Furret24

Smash Master
The cut pokemon, while minor on their own, would be great if they were released together--6.99 for ALL THREE on one version and 7.99 for both. Cheaper deal for those three--Pichu is easy, Squirtle could model off Yoshi and uses a F.L.U.D.D-esque B special, Ivysaur would probably be the hardest as he walks on all fours and needs his own model probably. Slap Pokefloats and/or Pokemon Stadium 2 in with them and I think it would sell. Pokemon get's fresh new stages and characters each game--and as a result, has the most cut content of the franchises.
For 3 characters and a stage, they'd probably charge $9.99/$10.99 (Both).

I'd buy it either way.
:gawmelee:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
For 3 characters and a stage, they'd probably charge $9.99/$10.99 (Both).

I'd buy it either way.
:gawmelee:
Same here, I'd like to see just how Squirtle and Ivysaur are handled with Smash 4 physics, without Red "holding them back" and again, in the end...I just REALLY want Pichu back. Also, I was actually hoping for a "Poke Floats 2", believe it or not.

Last edited:

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
I doubt Pichu was voted high in the ballot. Not that I don't want him in.

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Same here, I'd like to see just how Squirtle and Ivysaur are handled with Smash 4 physics, without Red "holding them back" and again, in the end...I just REALLY want Pichu back. Also, I was actually hoping for a "Poke Floats 2", believe it or not.
Man I miss Poke Floats. That stage was so hype to play on in friendlies. It makes me wonder why we never got a Poke Floats 2, 3 and 4. A Pokemon DLC Pack (Poke Pack :troll: ) would be great in the future.

DLC includes:
- Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Pichu return
- Team Rocket and Pokemon Trainer Mii costumes
- Saffron City and Poke Floats return

What are the chances of this happening when a new Pokemon game comes out?

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Hey, man, I appreciate your input, but you're not really telling us anything we don't already know--WE PICHU FANS WILL NOT TOLERATE NEGATIVITY! PICHU , USE THUNDER BOLT! Lol but in all seriousness, Pichu isn't a character that should need the ballot--he is the beloved Baby pokemon and younger sibling-esque character to Pikachu. The only veterans that need the ballot are the ones with hurdles--Ice Climbers and Snake--

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
Imagine this: Pichu as an Olimar clone. Now I know this probably sounds like the dumbest thing you've heard all day, but that's because it is. Pichu and Olimar both have similar body types so painting Olimar yellow and slapping some ears on him would probably do the trick. Then they'd make it so he only pulls yellow Pikmin and hurts himself every time he does. I'd buy it.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Imagine this: Pichu as an Olimar clone. Now I know this probably sounds like the dumbest thing you've heard all day, but that's because it is. Pichu and Olimar both have similar body types so painting Olimar yellow and slapping some ears on him would probably do the trick. Then they'd make it so he only pulls yellow Pikmin and hurts himself every time he does. I'd buy it.
What's funny is Olimar was actually going to have a clone, according to Source Gaming.
Also, :pichumelee:

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
Doesn't matter, they never said characters win by popularity of the vote, but the idea

And we all know pichus obs an awesome idea

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Doesn't matter, they never said characters win by popularity of the vote, but the idea

And we all know pichus obs an awesome idea
I read your post too quick and thought you said pichu's abs.

Top Bottom