• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cute Baby Pokémon, the Melee underdog: Pichu for DLC Discussion - Under New Ownership! VOTE NOW!

NNID
Tyblade363
I would! And he would too!
First of all, now instead of definite damage on yourself, it's only a chance. (Well, it's more of a semi-clone moveset) Standard Special: same as Pikachu, but smaller and faster. Side Special: Tail Whip. Does no damage, but does make foes trip. Can be spammed for horizontal recovery. Up Special: Agility: Like Pikachu's Quick Attack, but no damage, and can change directions three times. Down Special> Rest: Ok, Pichu's electricity is a problem. So, this move will heal a little! Also, if attacked while doing this, he'll wake up and bawl like a sad baby, damaging and stunning opponents. It has a cooldown where when you press the button, Pichu doesn't act sleepy and shakes his head.

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
First of all, now instead of definite damage on yourself, it's only a chance. (Well, it's more of a semi-clone moveset) Standard Special: same as Pikachu, but smaller and faster. Side Special: Tail Whip. Does no damage, but does make foes trip. Can be spammed for horizontal recovery. Up Special: Agility: Like Pikachu's Quick Attack, but no damage, and can change directions three times. Down Special> Rest: Ok, Pichu's electricity is a problem. So, this move will heal a little! Also, if attacked while doing this, he'll wake up and bawl like a sad baby, damaging and stunning opponents. It has a cooldown where when you press the button, Pichu doesn't act sleepy and shakes his head.
Nothing on normals except the chance of self damaging?

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
Well, I guess just also the standard special a tiny bit. Anyway, anyone like it?
The rest move seems like an interesting idea, almost like Wii fits down b, but with no damage/knockback (I forgot exactly what it does) but more healing. Not sure if I'd rather have that replacing thunder though, but under pichus circumstances, it might be useful. Tail whip on the other hand would probably have to have very low cool down in order to follow-up with it, unless it relies on reads, which then would be kinda unreliable. Nonetheless, I definitely wouldn't mind pichu having these specials. His upb change I think is a no brainer, it would be much better than pikachus. 3 ways would mean great mind games on stage and obviously much better recovery lol

Edit: dang now that I reread it, rest seems like a very good move. It's basically a counter that heals

Last edited:

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
Tail Whip would have cooldown like Fox's uptilt. That's fast. Or maybe like the cape in Super Mario World...
In that case, that move could be... Very, very good. Ez kill setups

I'd say it'd have to have kinda bad range to compensate, can't make it too easy to hit with because imagine just using it at like 100-110% for guaranteed kills (for instance tailwhip>usmash at basically any ko percent)

Furret24

Smash Master
Personally, i'd like to see Pichu return, but only if he got some major buffs.
- Make him bigger, about as big as Jigglypuff. That way, he would have enough range to hit things, while still being hard to hit.
- Make him heavier (About 65-70) so he could survive past 70% so he could take more than three hits.
- Either remove the self-harm attributes from his moves or make them cap at certain percent. I'd say 100%, which is when Kirby and King Dedede's hammers stop hurting them. Replacing some of his electrical moves with new ones would also be nice.
- Buff his power significantly. This would give him a high risk/high reward playstyle that would be a joy to play as.

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
- Make him bigger, about as big as Jigglypuff. That way, he would have enough range to hit things, while still being hard to hit.
- Make him heavier (About 65-70) so he could survive past 70% so he could take more than three hits.
- Either remove the self-harm attributes from his moves or make them cap at certain percent. I'd say 100%, which is when Kirby and King Dedede's hammers stop hurting them. Replacing some of his electrical moves with new ones would also be nice.
- Buff his power significantly. This would give him a high risk/high reward playstyle that would be a joy to play as.
Or, just buff his range and not his size. As many buffs we can squeeze in! :p

Last edited:
NNID
Tyblade363
I liked Pichu's size, so I think it' better just to buff his range. The Pichu damaging himself is staying, and if he were to return, I don't know what Nintendo would do about the capping. Anyway, I kinda wish Nintendo would use my moveset, despite tht they never will and Pichu will stay a clone.

NNID
Tyblade363
The rest move seems like an interesting idea, almost like Wii fits down b, but with no damage/knockback (I forgot exactly what it does) but more healing. Not sure if I'd rather have that replacing thunder though, but under pichus circumstances, it might be useful. Tail whip on the other hand would probably have to have very low cool down in order to follow-up with it, unless it relies on reads, which then would be kinda unreliable. Nonetheless, I definitely wouldn't mind pichu having these specials. His upb change I think is a no brainer, it would be much better than pikachus. 3 ways would mean great mind games on stage and obviously much better recovery lol

Edit: dang now that I reread it, rest seems like a very good move. It's basically a counter that heals
Asperusual, you can still grab Pichu to cancel the heal.

BoN~

Smash Cadet
NNID
Riskyx
3DS FC
4742-7971-2374
Oh,Here's The Pichu Support Thread!
I Want The Return of all the veterans,So Please Add Me To The Support List :)

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Like @ BoN~ BoN~ , I want to see every veteran in 1 game! This makes it only when Pichu is also back! I'd also like it to be on the Support List.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
The healing counter is a very interesting move. If Pichu is left alone it will regain some of its health, but if anyone relies on instinct to smack Pichu out of Rest, Pichu could actually be hiding a Counter attack to send them flying, meaning they have to go for a grab or interrupt via projectile. Healing aspect aside, as useful as it is, it would be nice to see a counter crop up outside of sword fighters (I know Lucario has one too but still). Counters are very effective, and I think Pichu seriously needs something like that. The healing portion is just a bonus to offset his self-harming tendancies.

NNID
Tyblade363
Thanks!
The healing counter is a very interesting move. If Pichu is left alone it will regain some of its health, but if anyone relies on instinct to smack Pichu out of Rest, Pichu could actually be hiding a Counter attack to send them flying, meaning they have to go for a grab or interrupt via projectile. Healing aspect aside, as useful as it is, it would be nice to see a counter crop up outside of sword fighters (I know Lucario has one too but still). Counters are very effective, and I think Pichu seriously needs something like that. The healing portion is just a bonus to offset his self-harming tendancies.
Thanks!

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
But can't we do that: if Pichu has been hurt for ...%, then he gets stronger than with 0%? Isn't that a good comparisation.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Personally, I would love to see Pichu in this way:
it keeps all his weight, speed and size from Melee, plus the self-hurting, but with HUGE move hitbox and strong as hell. Thinking about a little hard-to-hit speedy mice that hits stronger than Bowser with an huge range would makes me happy!!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I don't really like the idea of Pichu hitting harder than Pikachu but maybe we could compromise with a Roy-like sweetspot for more damage and a high range lesser hitbox that's weaker than his evolved form. Note that the size of Pichu gives high range attacks an incredible proportion of disjoint though, balance would be quite a fine tuned thing for the little guy.

D

Deleted member

I haven't posted here in a while, but I think that Pichu is one of the most unique fighters in Smash history, its just that his design was executed extremely poorly in Melee. Pichu should be a character that utilizes his normals for combos while having overwhelming electric attacks, either in terms of KO power, utility, or combos. If Pichu did far more damage and knock back per hit while having the damage taken be increased, his design would be incredibly glass cannon based. He would essentially become Flare Blitz: the character while being lighter. His range on normals could be increased a bit, while his electric moves should have large, risky, and rewarding disjoints. I'll try to make a move set later if I remember (more or less the changes to his electric attacks and a few normals).

tl;dr Glass Cannon

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
If Pichu returns I think I'd like him to be as 'poor' as he was in Melee. It's intentional weakness, it seemingly being created to be a 'joke' character, makes it endearing and unique to me as well as fun to play as.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
If Pichu returns I think I'd like him to be as 'poor' as he was in Melee. It's intentional weakness, it seemingly being created to be a 'joke' character, makes it endearing and unique to me as well as fun to play as.
Jigglypuff was also intended to be a joke, now look at him: he is great!

Purple_Anteater

Smash Cadet
I would like to see Pichu return with a few slight changes to his move set. Nothing too drastic, still want to keep that clone feel to him. Some specs:

• Most moves have similar properties to melee, Pichu is still the faster and (much) lighter "glass cannon" version of Pikachu
  • Fsmash semi spikes with great knockback, multi hit
  • Dsmash semi spikes, single hit, no electricity
  • Uair is a fantastic combo tool (think mario, capt. falcon, ZSS, ect) no semi spike hitbox
  • Dair is now a powerful spike
  • Bair is now more reminiscent of something between N64 Pikachu's Bair and Squirtle's Fair
  • All aerials auto cancel on short hop, and have very little to no landing lag
  • Nair is still beastly
  • Pichu still takes recoil from all electric based attacks
  • Poor tech rolls, and rolls in general.
  • Classic taunts return as well as a new taunt where Pichu accidentally shocks himself dealing 1% recoil damage
This is what I would hope for from Pichu returning. He would be considered competitively viable due to his amazing speed and small size and ability to take quick stocks. But he would be held back by his ability to die at lower percents than any other character, his poor range, and lack of quick attack cancels that Pikachu has access to for combos. A true glass cannon.

The Ganondorf match up would be hilarious.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I would like to see Pichu return with a few slight changes to his move set. Nothing too drastic, still want to keep that clone feel to him. Some specs:

• Most moves have similar properties to melee, Pichu is still the faster and (much) lighter "glass cannon" version of Pikachu
  • Uair is a fantastic combo tool (think mario, capt. falcon, ZSS, ect) no semi spike hitbox
  • Bair is now more reminiscent of something between N64 Pikachu's Bair and Squirtle's Fair
  • Nair is still beastly
  • Classic taunts return as well as a new taunt where Pichu accidentally shocks himself dealing 1% recoil damage
This is what I would hope for from Pichu returning. He would be considered competitively viable due to his amazing speed and small size and ability to take quick stocks. But he would be held back by his ability to die at lower percents than any other character, his poor range, and lack of quick attack cancels that Pikachu has access to for combos. A true glass cannon.

How about for that "shocking" taunt, Pichu has a 1-in-30 chance of electrocuting someone else with him (if they're right next to him, of course.) and it causes GREAT damage, but NO knockback? May as well give the cute little guy SOMETHING to truly fall back on right?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

• Nair is still beastly

I really like the idea of making Pichu the ultimate glass cannon. I think that would be hella fun.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
I've supported the inclusion of Pichu since it was confirmed we'd be getting DLC, can't believe I didn't see this thread until now.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
if Pichu was ported over from melee he would be fine xD

actually, putting a hitbox on pichu's head for SKULL bash would be good

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Pichu is my secondary in Melee, so I guess I ought to have already supported him, shame on me for not doing this earlier. Really the only veteran left that I'd be truly ecstatic for if he was to be brought back. Also, wouldn't Pichu's self damage be a great way to introduce the concept of rage to newcomers? I feel like Mr. Sakurai would have noticed something that glaring and might favor Pichu because of that. Hopefully Pichu gets in, and this time he's less of a joke character and gets noticeably buffed the Roy way, not the Mewtwo way.

Last edited:

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
Pichu is my secondary in Melee, so I guess I ought to have already supported him, shame on me for not doing this earlier. Really the only veteran left that I'd be truly ecstatic for if he was to be brought back. Also, wouldn't Pichu's self damage be a great way to introduce the concept of rage to newcomers? I feel like Mr. Sakurai would have noticed something that glaring and might favor Pichu because of that. Hopefully Pichu gets in, and this time he's less of a joke character and gets noticeably buffed the Roy way, not the Mewtwo way.
dangit i never thought of this

only downside is pichu would probably be pretty light, so its a double edged sword

but why did i never thought of that helping his rage >_> maybe his meta will involve hurting himself on purpose so he can kill easier :p

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So this leak's been circulating quite a fair bit. I think it's probably fake, the models look very stiff and out of place. But who knows, maybe it's real, maybe it's fake, I'm not a prophet, but I wouldn't trust the image, especially without any gameplay footage whatsoever. Would love for it to be real, but I doubt it, and by doubt it, I mean it's got less than 10% chance of being real in my eyes. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
So this leak's been circulating quite a fair bit. I think it's probably fake, the models look very stiff and out of place. But who knows, maybe it's real, maybe it's fake, I'm not a prophet, but I wouldn't trust the image, especially without any gameplay footage whatsoever. Would love for it to be real, but I doubt it, and by doubt it, I mean it's got less than 10% chance of being real in my eyes. Hopefully I'm wrong though.
im going pretty obvious here but im going with fake, the number one reason being ice climbers is impossible because of the 3d's limitations. it doesnt have 8 player smash because it cant handle it performance wise, and when you have 4(=8) ice climbers in a match, it gets the same result.

maybe it was a lie to bring a big surprise, but i doubt it. not saying i dont want this to be true, if it is real, i cant express

also pichus mouth looks kinda strange lol

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Fake image is fake, the individual character renders have been found elsewhere and Ice Climbers seem sadly unlikely.
This does not, however, mean that we won't get Pichu, despite what idiot fans think. Sure, Pichu isn't relevant right now but nor is Roy. Yes, he's a clone that few people liked but what about Dr. Mario? He had an amazingly positive welcome back to the franchise. And do people hate Charizard for Flare Blitz, I don't think so.

Pichu isn't exactly the likeliest of DLC but nor is he someone Nintendo would never consider and I wish people would be more open to the possibility of a new, good Pichu.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Fake image is fake, the individual character renders have been found elsewhere and Ice Climbers seem sadly unlikely.
This does not, however, mean that we won't get Pichu, despite what idiot fans think. Sure, Pichu isn't relevant right now but nor is Roy. Yes, he's a clone that few people liked but what about Dr. Mario? He had an amazingly positive welcome back to the franchise. And do people hate Charizard for Flare Blitz, I don't think so.

Pichu isn't exactly the likeliest of DLC but nor is he someone Nintendo would never consider and I wish people would be more open to the possibility of a new, good Pichu.
Roy may not be that relevant, but he had huge fan demand, especially in Japan. In addition, he was also planned for Brawl, so Sakurai definitely had plans for him. As for Doc, he was planned as a costume but separated later on. And Charizard's recoil only applies to one move, not the majority of his move set.

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
Oh Pichu... why are you so endearing as a smash character? i, like some others on this thread, would love for all the Veterans to return. and this includes this little guy. add me to the support list.

i'd love to see him be similar to his Melee incarnation, but with some minor tweaks (not sure what exactly, just make him slightly better than what he was in Melee), and maybe he can even have Pikachu's old hats from Melee as alternate costumes.

Top Bottom