• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Bowser Questions and Advice Thread

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
Bowser is too cool and sexy lol. Koopa Klaw is definitely Bowser's second best move. If you guys wanna see me use it effectively to help ya out a bit, watch these two tournament matches.

Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94EsZdpzwl4
Match 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xy84UdD094

I didn't put match 2 because I played extremely horrible in that match and I don't think I did anything to help you guys out lol.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Jeez. Your last stock on match one lasted FOREVER.

The fulljump Klaw grab from behind was sick.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
does bowsers flame cancel change his spot on the tier list at all from vers. 1.1 to 1.2 or w/e? really just curious i almost never play bowser lol.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I don't think so. Tournament standard is 1.0 though, and that's the version his flame cancel is in.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
how do I fortress to the ledge and grab it perfectly on stages other than yoshi's where it does it for you?
I've never played bowser but I'm picking him up just now :p

Oracle

Smash Master
You time it so that you fall off the stage while still spinning and as soon as you leave the stage, hold backwards.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
When you Fortress to the ledge (let's say the left side), you kinda have to do a half circle motion similar to a moonwalk. So while you're tilting the control stick to the left heading towards the ledge, right before you reach it, you have to do a half circle motion to the right on your control stick. When you do the half circle motion to the right, don't do it fast. Although don't do it super slow either lol. Its really easy to get used to. I hope what I said helps lol. I explained it in my own ghetto way lol.

Just in case you didn't know, there are other stages that have ledges like Yoshi's Story that allow Bowser to grab for you when you Fortress. These stages are the following: The ship on Rainbow Cruise (Both sides. The game Fortress grabs the ledge for you thats on the left side of a half-circle hill. The half-circle hill is next to three donut platforms. You have to remove the donut platform next to the ledge), Corneria (Both sides), Princess Peach's Castle (Both sides), DK Island's Kongo Jungle (Both sides of the stage and the rock on the right), Venom (Both sides), Yoshi's Island's Yoshi's Island (Both sides from the pit, even if the blocks are in the way), Hyrule Temple (The long slope located at the bottom. You can also Fortress grab the middle ledge from the middle part of the stage, which is the one thats in between the big pit. You have to Fortress towards it from the mini platform thats on the right side of it), Onett (The left ledge on the left house. You can also Fortress grab that left ledge from the taller green bush on the right. You can Fortress grab the right ledge from the left house if you Fortress towards it from either the top platform or bottom platform in the middle of the stage) Big Blue (Both sides of the big cruiser and the circular black pod), Icicle Mountain (The two black stone platforms that appear on each side of the stage).

There are other stages that meet special conditions for the ledges to Fortress grab for you. The following are: Great Bay (Both sides on the tipsy rock on the left. The rock will only let Bowser Fortress grab for you if its tilted downward in your current position or tilted downward in the direction you wanna Fortress grab to), Green Greens (You can fortress grab to the ledges from the big platform in the middle if you Fortress towards them while you're on little platforms on the sides. You can also Fortress grab the ledges on the big platform from the big platform if there is a block located in the middle or outermost part, which it will stop your Fortress momentum to Fortress grab), Jungle Japes (You can Fortress grab the ledge from the right side of the left little platform and the left ledge from the right little platform if you Fortress towards them from either the bottom part of the middle platform or the top part. You can Fortress grab any ledge from the side platforms if you Fortress under them. Depending on which ledge you're closer to when your Fortress is almost done, thats the ledge you'll end up grabbing), Mushroom Kingdom (You can Fortress grab both sides of both pits if you just Fortress towards them), Mushroom Kingdom II (You can Fortress grab both sides of the middle platform if you Fortress towards them), Fourside (You can Fortress grab the right ledge from the left building if you Fortress towards it. You can Fortress grab the left ledge from the middle building if you Fortress towards it while you're on the brown platform thats above the left building), Yoshi's Island (You can Fortress grab the left ledge if you Fortress towards it from the could platform on the left side of the stage).

On a special note: In Pokemon Stadium on the water stage with the windmill, if you have less than 100% and you perform Bowser's get-up attack, your get-up attack will go a bit farther and faster than usual. Thats because of the sexy water there lol.

LoganW, I hope this helps you out and other people as well =)

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
When you Fortress to the ledge (let's say the left side), you kinda have to do a half circle motion similar to a moonwalk. So while you're tilting the control stick to the left heading towards the ledge, right before you reach it, you have to do a half circle motion to the right on your control stick. When you do the half circle motion to the right, don't do it fast. Although don't do it super slow either lol. Its really easy to get used to. I hope what I said helps lol. I explained it in my own ghetto way lol.

Just in case you didn't know, there are other stages that have ledges like Yoshi's Story that allow Bowser to grab for you when you Fortress. These stages are the following: The ship on Rainbow Cruise (Both sides. The game Fortress grabs the ledge for you thats on the left side of a half-circle hill. The half-circle hill is next to three donut platforms. You have to remove the donut platform next to the ledge), Corneria (Both sides), Princess Peach's Castle (Both sides), DK Island's Kongo Jungle (Both sides of the stage and the rock on the right), Venom (Both sides), Yoshi's Island's Yoshi's Island (Both sides from the pit, even if the blocks are in the way), Hyrule Temple (The long slope located at the bottom. You can also Fortress grab the middle ledge from the middle part of the stage, which is the one thats in between the big pit. You have to Fortress towards it from the mini platform thats on the right side of it), Onett (The left ledge on the left house. You can also Fortress grab that left ledge from the taller green bush on the right. You can Fortress grab the right ledge from the left house if you Fortress towards it from either the top platform or bottom platform in the middle of the stage) Big Blue (Both sides of the big cruiser and the circular black pod), Icicle Mountain (The two black stone platforms that appear on each side of the stage).

There are other stages that meet special conditions for the ledges to Fortress grab for you. The following are: Great Bay (Both sides on the tipsy rock on the left. The rock will only let Bowser Fortress grab for you if its tilted downward in your current position or tilted downward in the direction you wanna Fortress grab to), Green Greens (You can fortress grab to the ledges from the big platform in the middle if you Fortress towards them while you're on little platforms on the sides. You can also Fortress grab the ledges on the big platform from the big platform if there is a block located in the middle or outermost part, which it will stop your Fortress momentum to Fortress grab), Jungle Japes (You can Fortress grab the ledge from the right side of the left little platform and the left ledge from the right little platform if you Fortress towards them from either the bottom part of the middle platform or the top part. You can Fortress grab any ledge from the side platforms if you Fortress under them. Depending on which ledge you're closer to when your Fortress is almost done, thats the ledge you'll end up grabbing), Mushroom Kingdom (You can Fortress grab both sides of both pits if you just Fortress towards them), Mushroom Kingdom II (You can Fortress grab both sides of the middle platform if you Fortress towards them), Fourside (You can Fortress grab the right ledge from the left building if you Fortress towards it. You can Fortress grab the left ledge from the middle building if you Fortress towards it while you're on the brown platform thats above the left building), Yoshi's Island (You can Fortress grab the left ledge if you Fortress towards it from the could platform on the left side of the stage).

On a special note: In Pokemon Stadium on the water stage with the windmill, if you have less than 100% and you perform Bowser's get-up attack, your get-up attack will go a bit farther and faster than usual. Thats because of the sexy water there lol.

LoganW, I hope this helps you out and other people as well =)
wow, this is great thanks alot :)
This should be stickied or something haha
Also your bowser is incredible

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I don't get DJ Nintendo's Bowser. It like. Wins. Like how does that happen? It's still just Bowser...

I think he cheats.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Yeah. I dunno. It's like that one set against Armada where Mango's Jigglypuff suddenly seemed fast. That's the sorta vibe I get off your Bowser. And it doesn't make sense to me.

You should either explain it or stop.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
My follow-ups and edgeguarding are pretty accurate and fast and I try not to miss L-cancels ever lol. At high level play (lets say a Falco) if you miss an L-cancel with Bowser, you can receive heavy damage or death that easy.

Bowser can powershield Falco's lasers but he sucks at it compared to other characters. You just have to figure out how the Falco player's approach with lasers are. If he doesn't approach and laser camps you, figure out your way around the lasers to get to him. Once Bowser gets to Falco and you're on the offensive, if you do certain things right, you can perform even a zero to death on him. Especially if you get Falco off stage. Despite lasers being annoying and you have to change up your approach style with Bowser, Falco is an easier fight than Fox.

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
I've got a question on a edguard possibility of Bowser:
As you might know, Bowser can ledgehop into a bair, uair, fair or nair (no dair) OFFSTAGE and then return to the ledge with the fortress, if pulled of quickly.
Is this any good for edgeguarding? I especially like the ledgehopped bair to push people out a bit more and then return to the ledge quickly for edgehogging.
Or is it always more effective to stay on stage and use your edgeguard moves there, or follow your opponents offstage with your first + second jump instead of ledgehopping away from the stage?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^I've seen both in video's. I perfer to wait onstage, but that's just because I don't practice much, so I'd prolly SD if I tried something from the ledge >_<

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
@TresChikon:
Thanks for the tip.

So using that directly after fortresshog or ledgehop + ledge-regrab will do the trick, I suppose.
I'll try it out!

Edit:
Yeah, breaks good through recovery moves when invincibillity is used. I'll keep that as an option.

Now for something else:
I usually don't use D-smash for edguard because it pushes the opponent up instead of out. However, I recently noticed that if the opponent doesn't get sucked into the attack but hit only once (for example by trading blows), he seems to get spiked, quite straight down. Has this happened to anyone else, too?
I don't know if it's possible to achieve that constantly, but I'll try it out.

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
Man ive been slackin on Bowser vs Marth vids. I swear i'll try to record a game with an excellent marth player for your references.

For now tho, please enjoy my tourney set against a really well known and top level Captain Falcon player.

3 Game Tournament set VS Scar's Captain Falcon in back in September with Commentary. The set is super intense..
Game 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWPm1fE4Klw

Game 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGa-geUPvzY

Game 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aNllt-IJLI

Sorry for the horrid quality it was a rip from livestream and I tried to improve the quality as much as possible so that it is at least watchable.

This is how you have to play against Falcon (Try to be grounded, crouch cancel as many knees as possible. When falcon is off the stage at mid percent, make sure he never gets on again. REally easy to gimp. All the game changing edgeguard mistakes in near the end of game 3 were technical mistakes and clearly prooved that I choked.

If you guys ever have any questions about DI'ing with bowser, dont hestitate to ask. (DI's for getting out of combos and survival DI in general).

TresChikon

Smash Lord
@TresChikon:
Thanks for the tip.

So using that directly after fortresshog or ledgehop + ledge-regrab will do the trick, I suppose.
I'll try it out!

Edit:
Yeah, breaks good through recovery moves when invincibillity is used. I'll keep that as an option.

Now for something else:
I usually don't use D-smash for edguard because it pushes the opponent up instead of out. However, I recently noticed that if the opponent doesn't get sucked into the attack but hit only once (for example by trading blows), he seems to get spiked, quite straight down. Has this happened to anyone else, too?
I don't know if it's possible to achieve that constantly, but I'll try it out.
I recall a combo video showcasing something like that. You need to hit them with the ending part of the d-smash and it shoots them down and tacks on 1%. It was a Fox trying to get on, but kept getting sent down for like 6 times till he ate a full d-smash.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Holy crap.

I realized on the last stock that that was Scar.

Whoa oO;

Also, wtf, it's uploaded in high definition? Way to build me up, buttercup =(

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I don't think it shoots them down, it's just one of the minor hits. The main hit box would send them up, right?

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
@TresChikon:
Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about.
But it seems that this only looks like a spike when used against fastfallers. The Fastfallers get their recovery move stopped by a weak hit and until they are able to move again, they fall a certain distance.
That's everything about it, I believe, but I haven't tried it against floatier characters yet.

@WarriorKnight:

Excellent Videos, your Bowser is great!

You offered advice for DI, so I will ask.^^
I know that there are three kinds of DI and in which order they can be done. I've also read that the C-stick outprioritizes the Analog-stick during ASDI. However, I often see players doing some arieals after getting hit out far, so they hold the C-stick for a long time AFTER the hit. I thought the C-stick would only work for ASDI and anything else could only be done witch the other stick.
So, when you DI to survive a powerful attack, which Stick do you use for what?
For example in your matches against Scar's Falcon, what exactily did you do when you got hit by one of his aerials when he edgeguarded you to get into one of the upper corners of the screen?

I am not very good at DI at the moment, but I really want to learn it, because the super heavy weight Bowser combined with great DI is awsome at surviving! :D

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
Analog stick like at a 45 degree angle and the C-stick aimed down at a 45 degree angle to get to the upper corners of the screen. You gotta make sure you don't DI too high or you'll die off the top of the screen. The thing is that it all depends on the attack you're getting hit with, the percent you're at and your location on the stage right before you get hit.

DI-ing, especially being consistent at it, depends on your reaction time to DI perfectly. Me and WarriorKnight have the best DI since our reaction time is fast and we know how to DI perfectly depending on the situation most of the time.

Many people don't know about WarriorKnight since he barely gets recorded but he's a really old school player. Me and him play all the time. He's definitely the second best Bowser player in the world. He's my team partner and we play all the time. His Bowser fights better than mine and is far more entertaining lol. His Bowser is the offensive type and mine is the defensive type. I go for setups most of the time and I punish more when I finally get an opening. I know a lil more about matchups than him. I help him, although he's lazy lol. So when we team and do double Bowser, it works out perfectly. He's my ***** =)

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the advice man! I have seen your DI in your vids and I am very impressed. I will try improving my DI, but getting the required knowledge of attack's angles and speeding up my reaction will probably take me a long time before I will get it right at least nearly constantly.

Yeah, I have seen some of your double Bowser matches, they were great and absolutely entertaining.^^
Whenever you and WarriorKnight record some double Bowser stuff again and upload it, I'll be glad to watch it!

Vienna

Smash Rookie
somebody please tell me how to beat Ganondorf. I've gotten rusty...:(
Ganon is a pretty patient fight for me. I like to play really shield heavy, like wd > shield, into jc fairs (careful for jabs) or fortresses, just be sure to mix it up frequently; like running straight past them instead of wd > shield then a bair or something if you think they're going to dj to better space something. The ledge is a relatively safe play for Bowser to play at too, I think. You can do lots of shield > fortress to ledge, then start being really gay with your recovery. Just make sure you don't do it too much because the Ganon will start to wait the recovery out then run in and fair you. Some loose dd gives you a lot more opportunity to capitalize on their mistakes as well.

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
I believe that the frotress oos is the best way to face his approach commonly consisting of shuffled fairs to jab. Ganons jab is a good move to avoid shield-grabbing, because it is so extremely fast (first hit on frame 3) considering it's strength, but Bowsers fortress beats the jab just as it beats Foxs Shine due to it's 4 invincibillity frames.
Of course spamming it can put you into trouble, being predictable is never a good idea. However, if you cancel it at the ledge, there is not much to fear when using the fortress.
Personally the move which I would fear most against a good Ganon is his uair... It hits roughly 240° around Ganon with exceptional range. It will hit the giant Bowser (un)fairly often if you are not careful enough... It can be used as a defensive weapon, as a combo move, as an airjuggler and it even serves for edgeguarding.
Well, I probably need advice for getting around some options of Ganon too, so I won't speculate on that too much.^^

Top Bottom