• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Bowser Questions and Advice Thread

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Hah, I was just reading some stuff about Koopa and turns out he's top 3 in Theory Bros.

In frame by frame play, his 3 frames of invincibility will eat through everything and give him the lead, then he can just retreat to the ledge and use his broken as f*ck ledgestall to win.

Realistically though, I don't think Bowser has much to offer against Ganon save for his fortress.

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
I found some posts by Gimpyfish about this matchup in the matchups thread (where this discussion actually should take place lol).
At the ledge Ganon is the easiest to kill for Bowser of all characters because of his absolutely bad recovery (predictable + slow + a fat Ganon-shaped hurtbox doing a salto at the ledge before grabbing it = really bad). I think you can edgeguard him any style you want, preferably with bairs and the terrifying forward smash.
Bowsers recovery options are actually better, I think, especially because Ganons moves (except the weak hit of the uair) usually hit him in a relatively high angle off stage. And if Bowser can recover above the ledge, he is able to make use of his good vertical recovery or fake the oppenent out by grabbing the edge via downb, or fastfall to fortress or whatever.
Ganon usually is doomed to recover with downb > double jump > upb or just upb when closer, and that is really easy to edgeguard. If he is very close, he also can recover with his sideb. Well, however, this option also is not too amazing... I once got edgeguarded when doing it (I picked up Ganon as a secondary) just by my opponent jumping in it to receive its hit. Ganon hit his opponent up, stopped his vertical movement and then fell to his doom.^^
To get Ganon of the ledge grabbing and tech chasing him would work, Gimpy said in the other thread. And otherwise... Well, Bowser is a knockback beast, you should be able to hit your opponents out far enough at some point of the fight, I suppose. If you don't ever land a hit onstage your opponent is definitly playing better, no matter which character he uses.^^
Ganon outranges Bowser of course, but if you're playing on a small stage, which is always a nice thing for Bowser, this matchup definitly is winnable, I believe.
If anybody thinks I am wrong, don't hesitate to correct me. :)

@KingJiggyWiggy:
Swichting to a better character of course is the best thing a Bowser player can do to increase his chance of winning. He is bottom tier, so most of his matchups are bad.
But if you actually are playing better than your opponent so that you can beat him with Bowser, it freakin' ROCKS. Bowser rocks a lot of things, like the stage when wding or your opponent's damage scale when landing a forward smash.
This basically is why I play Bowser.^^

By the way, the posts by Gimpyfish about the Ganonmatchup where on page 7 of the Bowser matchup thread.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I believe that the frotress oos is the best way to face his approach commonly consisting of shuffled fairs to jab. Ganons jab is a good move to avoid shield-grabbing, because it is so extremely fast (first hit on frame 3) considering it's strength, but Bowsers fortress beats the jab just as it beats Foxs Shine due to it's 4 invincibillity frames.
Of course spamming it can put you into trouble, being predictable is never a good idea. However, if you cancel it at the ledge, there is not much to fear when using the fortress.
Personally the move which I would fear most against a good Ganon is his uair... It hits roughly 240° around Ganon with exceptional range. It will hit the giant Bowser (un)fairly often if you are not careful enough... It can be used as a defensive weapon, as a combo move, as an airjuggler and it even serves for edgeguarding.
Well, I probably need advice for getting around some options of Ganon too, so I won't speculate on that too much.^^
Why would Ganon ever need to jab after he spaces any of his ranged aerials on your shield?

Anyway, Ganon's Bair and Fair > Bowser. If Bowser's above, Uair > Bowser.

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
You're right, I think. If Ganons spacing with his fair and bair is all right => no fortress oos can hit with the strong initial hitbox. It can only punish poor spacing, so it is not as great as against characters with lower range.
Thanks for correcting me.

dashdancedan

Smash Journeyman
Things being left out imo:
For Bowser
Bowser's fair is faster than Ganon's (you can easily squeeze it in if you know he's going to fair, or if he jumps too close to do a safe aerial)
Fsmash "beats" a well spaced fair.
For Ganon
Ganon's stomp off stage is pretty much death for bowser.
Ganon can also jump off to edgeguard with fair/reverse uair, hitting a fairly helpless falling Bowser (no matter how good you DI, you end up having to upB above the edge or get stomped.) Because Ganon's offstage fairs/bairs/uairs eliminate your previous "high and safe" recovery.
I'm pretty sure bair camp beats Bowser.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
LOL @ the wk matches

i really don't know why you guys hate me so much

anyway really good matches - i was amused wehn everyone freaked out by basic (but still great) edgeguards like getup attack -> backair

EDIT: you shoulda won ;P haha you hadddd himmmm

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
It's because you're famous and your fanboys are annoying. I mean, thats not your fault but people are still gonna hate you for it. xD

Kinda like SS.

Technodeath

Smash Champion
my question is, being i've kinda not long picked up Melee, and have decided to main Bowser.

What are some good Combos with him and whatnot? usually the only thing that comes to mind is following up throws.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
Even though Bowser is all about setups and what I call "mindgame combos", he has a good combo game. The player just has to know when to apply it and to do it right.

By-Tor

Smash Cadet
I've got a question about bowsers (what do you call it?) attack to get back on the stage from the ledge move when he's under 100%. I believe this may be one of the best edgeguarding moves in the game, as it hits anywhere from off the stage close to the ledge to right on the stage, and it lasts for a LONG time, making it a great edgehog. It starts off the stage, then travels a significant amount into the stage, then goes back. No one ever talks about it though. Here's a link so you can see what I'm talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6mx4LOb3SY Watch 3:17

By-Tor

Smash Cadet
I just suspect it to be one of the best edgeuarding moves in the game, but no one ever talks about it. IS it?

PNaleek

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it's definitely the best. You can catch a lot of people off guard and get some easy kills with it. And it has nice range and whatnot.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Nobody has posted in the entire Bowser board for almost a month.

So hi. =D

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Thanks. <3

Umm, so where are all the Bowsers? I heard DJ isn't playing Bowser much in tournaments anymore and WarriorKnight mostly goes Falcon (I think).

So are you going to be the next great Bowser? =D

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
Thanks. <3

Umm, so where are all the Bowsers? I heard DJ isn't playing Bowser much in tournaments anymore and WarriorKnight mostly goes Falcon (I think).

I don't play Bowser anymore in tournament. The only time I'll pick him in tournament is if in teams, my partner really wants me to pick him or its a big crowd who really wants me to use him. I still use him in numerous friendlies and money matches though. So I could just pick Bowser and still beast in tournament, whether its teams or singles. WarriorKnight doesn't go to tournaments. When he randomly does end up going to a tournament, he goes more Bowser than Falcon. In addition, whenever we team, we always go double Bowser.

For another Bowser to reach the competitive level and skill that WarriorKnight and especially myself have taken Bowser, is something that would be to the most extreme degree of difficulty. Although it'll be something that we would both love to see. So to the Bowser players out there, ya better get to work. Any Bowser player has to beat WarriorKnight and I in Bowser dittos lol.

So I'm the King of Bowser in 1st, WarriorKnight is 2nd, who's gonna be 3rd?

PNaleek

Smash Journeyman
Thanks. <3

Yes. That would be me. :D

So I'm the King of Bowser in 1st, WarriorKnight is 2nd, who's gonna be 3rd?
Right here, sir. I called dibs!

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
We've been around lol. WarriorKnight has a ton of team matches with our double Bowsers and I think even singles matches recorded. He's just been mad lazy to put them up.

MU wise? Nothing new really except that Bowser vs. Falco is not that bad lol. Of course Falco has the clear advantage but WK and I make the MU look even.

Top Bottom