• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

Robertos0511

Smash Rookie
Old tier placements:
6::4miibrawl: :4palutena: :4bowser: :4jigglypuff: :4dedede: :4mewtwo: :4samus:

7: :4miisword: :4ganondorf: :4zelda: :4miigun:

+1:4miisword:The only character currently in tier 7 that shouldn't be IMO.
-1:4samus: Was a coin toss between having Samus and Mewtwo demoted, both should be IMO. Also feeling that Dedede should be demoted, although he's not as bad as Samus or Mewtwo.

My new tier placements:
6::4miisword: :4miibrawl: :4palutena: :4bowser: :4jigglypuff: :4dedede: :4mewtwo:
7: :4ganondorf: :4samus: :4zelda: :4miigun:

My ideal tier placements:
6::4miisword: :4miibrawl: :4palutena: :4bowser: :4jigglypuff:
7: :4ganondorf: :4dedede: :4mewtwo: :4samus: :4zelda: :4miigun:

DarkK

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone explain to my why some tier lists consider :4lucina: the worst character in the game? I get the argument of Marth's tipper making him better than her, but no way in hell is Marth low tier and Lucina 2 tiers below him.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Can anyone explain to my why some tier lists consider :4lucina: the worst character in the game? I get the argument of Marth's tipper making him better than her, but no way in hell is Marth low tier and Lucina 2 tiers below him.
I wouldn't say the worst character in the game, just the worst Fire Emblem character

D

Deleted member

Lucina isn't even bad, just really unremarkable. She has nothing going for her. Nothing like Marth or Roy's sweetspots, Ike's brute strength, or Robin's mix between projectile and swordplay. She's pretty much Marth without anything that makes him interesting in terms of playstyle.

And besides, :4zelda: is easily the worst character in this game. Sad how she's been utter garbage three games in a row.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
NAIRO ENDED ZERO'S STREAK LIKE BROCK LESNAR AT WM30 AGAINST UNDERTAKER

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
It doesn't matter what region/country/planet the tier list is from, results helps a character. Sure Pit's best player is in Japan and Nairo uses Pit/Dark Pit at smaller events(he almost used Pit at Big House, but didn't want to get downloaded), but Pink Fresh, KiraFlex, some player named Palutena, even @CHOMPY are representing Pit(the Dark Pit hype pretty much died out, so I'm kinda starting to feel like Pit should be ranked higher than his inferior clone(Uprising wise)). Besides, Pit is the only real all around type character in the game, so he'd atleast be top 18. Also, we'll never know how Pink Fresh would've done since he started training more during the tournament, and got the game weeks later.

Also, you gotta admit that it's impressive how a guy who didn't own the game for a long time can scare Angel Crotez and some other people. Same goes to Pepee(or whatever his name was).
Agreed it's good, but here in Canada we have V115, top 3 on PR and won a Canadian national in July who also doesn't (and still doesn't) have a Wii U. Not having a Wii U just means you aren't living up to your full potential, not that your full potential is really high.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Excuse me?
You play Olimar
Agreed it's good, but here in Canada we have V115, top 3 on PR and won a Canadian national in July who also doesn't (and still doesn't) have a Wii U. Not having a Wii U just means you aren't living up to your full potential, not that your full potential is really high.
It shows how good you are though

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Olimar is mid-high tier though

Plus just because he has a very high learning curve doesn't mean he sucks. Did people not learn their lesson from Brawl?
We're joking about how Alph I'd used more than Olimar

Zeth444

Smash Apprentice
6.:4dedede::4palutena::4miibrawl::4mewtwo::4bowser::4jigglypuff:
7.:4ganondorf::4zelda: :4samus::4miisword::4miigun:

I will vote:
:4dedede: +1
:4samus: -1

Really people, this character is a big five, he can actually do stuff, he doesnt diserve to be together with Mew2, Jiggly, Bowser and Samus. I'd even say he has potencial to be 4. But we are here to talk about the present, not about potential, só 5 it is.
Watch Xanadu 119 and You will probably be convinced. if Im not mistaken, Jdaw( of something like that) got top 8 with DDD.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLcMdMmtHkPpSU6R3cY_BGbawSEhOM6nfU&v=pEAgI5Vs06

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
6.:4dedede::4palutena::4miibrawl::4mewtwo::4bowser::4jigglypuff:
7.:4ganondorf::4zelda: :4samus::4miisword::4miigun:

I will vote:
:4dedede: +1
:4samus: -1

Really people, this character is a big five, he can actually do stuff, he doesnt diserve to be together with Mew2, Jiggly, Bowser and Samus. I'd even say he has potencial to be 4. But we are here to talk about the present, not about potential, só 5 it is.
Watch Xanadu 119 and You will probably be convinced. if Im not mistaken, Jdaw( of something like that) got top 8 with DDD.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLcMdMmtHkPpSU6R3cY_BGbawSEhOM6nfU&v=pEAgI5Vs06
I would be convinced....... If I didn't already know he was good

(Although right now he's still tenth from last)

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
No, but people now can't say that he's bottom tier for sure.
I personally don't see how people can say that Doc is bottom tier, and people who say otherwise are very wrong. Personally, I think he is just below mid tier, somewhere with the likes of Charizard etc, somewhere where he is now.

However, what gets me is when people try and use the excuse of him being a Mario clone to say that he is good. What I mean by that is, in the past I have seen comments along the lines of "How can somebody with Mario's frame data be that low down, Doc is certainly above mid on that alone". Yes, Doc has a lot of Mario's data, but he lacks a lot of what makes Mario good. He can't perform two aerials in a short hop, he has slower air speed (which means he can't wall of pain with Bair like Mario either), and just generally lacks Mario's best traits, such as great Dthrow (Doc's is much less reliable as it launches up higher), Utilt launches higher, meaning you can't get easy cheap damage off of it, and Uair (Mario's Utilt combo extender) doesn't lead well into many other moves, where as Mario can even perform a stairway to heaven with his. Also, Mario does have more distance on his Up B, so though he has near enough the same frame data as Mario, the properties of the moves are very different. Doc still has his uses, and does a lot of things different to Mario, but when people try and use him being a clone of Mario as an excuse to rank him up, it makes me laugh. Doc is different to the other 2 clones in the fact that there are quite a few differences, so where as Marth and Lucina have only slight differences and Pit and Dark Pit have laughable differences, Mario and Doc's are very different, but it really is true that you can just pick Mario and do nearly everything Doc can but better. It's a shame, because I do like Doc (I used him over Mario in Melee), but ended up switching to Mario after a few months of Doc in this game.

Last edited:

DarkK

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't see how people can say that Doc is bottom tier, and people who say otherwise are very wrong. Personally, I think he is just below mid tier, somewhere with the likes of Charizard etc, somewhere where he is now.

However, what gets me is when people try and use the excuse of him being a Mario clone to say that he is good. What I mean by that is, in the past I have seen comments along the lines of "How can somebody with Mario's frame data be that low down, Doc is certainly above mid on that alone". Yes, Doc has a lot of Mario's data, but he lacks a lot of what makes Mario good. He can't perform two aerials in a short hop, he has slower air speed (which means he can't wall of pain with Bair like Mario either), and just generally lacks Mario's best traits, such as great Dthrow (Doc's is much less reliable as it launches up higher), Utilt launches higher, meaning you can't get easy cheap damage off of it, and Uair (Mario's Utilt combo extender) doesn't lead well into many other moves, where as Mario can even perform a stairway to heaven with his. Also, Mario does have more distance on his Up B, so though he has near enough the same frame data as Mario, the properties of the moves are very different. Doc still has his uses, and does a lot of things different to Mario, but when people try and use him being a clone of Mario as an excuse to rank him up, it makes me laugh. Doc is different to the other 2 clones in the fact that there are quite a few differences, so where as Marth and Lucina have only slight differences and Pit and Dark Pit have laughable differences, Mario and Doc's are very different, but it really is true that you can just pick Mario and do nearly everything Doc can but better. It's a shame, because I do like Doc (I used him over Mario in Melee), but ended up switching to Mario after a few months of Doc in this game.
Saying "Mario exists" isn't a good argument to say that Doc is bad either. Like I said, why would anyone play Ken/Ryu/Sakura/Akuma/Gouken if Evil Ryu exists? Doc exists in Melee, so why would anyone use Mario if Doc "can do everything better"? Easy, because that's not how you rank characters on tiers. Pichu isn't bottom tier simply because Pikachu exists, for example.

That's a pretty weak argument. Doc having Mario's frame data is a benefit for him, and having different properties, believe it or not, makes his playstyle different from Mario's. Mario is more of an aggressive character while Doc is a bait and punish one. He's in no way bottom tier because Mario exists, and after what Nairo showed, I think it's safe to bet that he might even be mid-high tier. (that's high on the mid tier, not in the middle of high tier. Just clarifying.)

BTW, Doc's up air can lead into Up B, nair , tornado and bair. His up tilt can also kill, or lead into combos from up air, up B, tornado, or another up air. You gotta understand that Doc isn't Mario with a lab coat, he has different properties on every single move. Out of all of the clones, even Roy from Marth, Doc is the most different.

DANG IT I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THER EWAS A TOURNAMENT THIS WEKEEND!!!!

Do you have a video at all of grand finals?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSh_jAIcKoQ

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Saying "Mario exists" isn't a good argument to say that Doc is bad either. Like I said, why would anyone play Ken/Ryu/Sakura/Akuma/Gouken if Evil Ryu exists? Doc exists in Melee, so why would anyone use Mario if Doc "can do everything better"? Easy, because that's not how you rank characters on tiers. Pichu isn't bottom tier simply because Pikachu exists, for example.

That's a pretty weak argument. Doc having Mario's frame data is a benefit for him, and having different properties, believe it or not, makes his playstyle different from Mario's. Mario is more of an aggressive character while Doc is a bait and punish one. He's in no way bottom tier because Mario exists, and after what Nairo showed, I think it's safe to bet that he might even be mid-high tier. (that's high on the mid tier, not in the middle of high tier. Just clarifying.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSh_jAIcKoQ
This is what I didn't want, people saying Dr. Mario is good because of Nairo's performance. The fact of the matter is that Esam didn't know the MU at all, and Nairo played well. Dr. Mario is still where he was before (somewhere between low to low-mid) because he struggles against so many characters.

One thing about Esam's performance is that he never went for gimps, when that's all you should be doing against Dr. Mario. This is why Esam lost, he didn't know how to beat the character, not that the character is good.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
~ A :4sheik: :4zss: :rosalina: // (TOP TIER)

~ A- :4pikachu: :4sonic: :4mario: :4diddy: :4fox: End of "Typical" Solo Tournament Viability Characters... (HIGH TIER)

~ B :4ness: :4rob: :4villager: :4falcon: :4ryu: :4myfriends: :4luigi: (HIGH-MID TIER)

~ B- :4peach: :4wario2: :4yoshi: :4tlink: :4pacman: :4metaknight: :4olimar: End of "Current" Competitive Viability (MID TIER)

~C :4kirby: :4pit: :4greninja: :4feroy: :4link: :4wiifit: :4robinf: :4lucario: :4shulk: (Order is mostly Irrelevant from C class on.) (LOW-MID TIER)

~C- :4darkpit: :4marth: :4megaman: :4lucas::4palutena: :4dedede: :4falco: :4duckhunt: :4bowserjr: :4gaw: (LOW TIER)

~D :4ganondorf: :4charizard: :4jigglypuff: :4drmario: :4littlemac: :4bowser: (LOW TIER)

~D- :4mewtwo::4lucina: :4zelda: :4samus: (BOTTOM TIER)

Just a simple personal 1.1.1 Tier list compiled based on Results and Viability Ratings plus a
little bit of Personal Opinion based upon Statistics.
Yeah... This is an awful tier list. End of tournament viability is at A-?!

By the way, 150th page anniversary, everybody! Woo!

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
DANG IT I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THER EWAS A TOURNAMENT THIS WEKEEND!!!!

Do you have a video at all of grand finals?
Not sure if it's on youtube, but MLG's website might have a reply of it(same with twitter and Etika)

Last edited:

Routa

Smash Lord
And about 80% of thous pages are filled with biased people claiming their low/bottom tier heroes being viable. So yey...

Anyways... I cannot take any tier list seriously which has Lucario in the same tier as Kirby. There is no results, theory or framedata to back this idea of Kirby being as viable as Lucario.

Oh and wasn't it no no for personal tier lists?

Also you guys might find this video interesting: http://youtu.be/w5yncUQo87k

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
User was warned for this post

BTW, Doc's up air can lead into Up B, nair , tornado and bair. His up tilt can also kill, or lead into combos from up air, up B, tornado, or another up air. You gotta understand that Doc isn't Mario with a lab coat, he has different properties on every single move. Out of all of the clones, even Roy from Marth, Doc is the most different.
I'm not trying to say you shouldn't pick Doc (though I know plenty of people who would say otherwise), Yeah, Doc is indeed the most different, and that does make a change in his playstyle. But let's be honest, anything you can do with Doc, you can do with Mario, which he does better... comboing, recovering, approaching, better/safer off stage game. Perhaps the only thing Doc is better at is raw killing, but with Mario having a safer approach and better combo game, that's also up for debate too. But you are correct, Doc isn't just Mario with a lab coat on. He does require a completely different playstyle. It's this which is also part of the problem, when Doc just doesn't do anything to stand out in comparison. For example, Doc is a punish style character, but has bad mobility, but there are characters like Bowser and Charizard who can do the same job as Doc (Punish), but have better mobility (even though Bowser probably ends up worse due to his size and lack of landing options, but that's a whole other argument) and recovery. And what I was saying about his frame data earlier was probably worded wrong, and also about Mario existing making him bad. You are correct that obviously having Mario's frame data is indeed fantastic for him. What I was getting at is that Mario just has more going for him with the said data, thanks to things like better launch angles, misc. things that include his short hop height and air speed that really make a difference. Doc is FAR from bad, but he just doesn't have anything specific about him to make him great either.

Also you guys might find this video interesting: http://youtu.be/w5yncUQo87k
And this video just goes to show the differences in the Japanese playstyle as opposed to the playstyle in the west. The first minute or so was so boring to watch... but then he landed that Dair to Waft... me like...

Last edited by a moderator:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'm curious, why do you have to make a pointless comment on nearly every post here?
Why do you have to reply to someone who doesn't care for you? Ya got any real reason...I mean, one that matters?

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Updating my ignore list.

Just... wait.

Every time I type updating, I'm updating the list, it takes a long time.
I'm still unignored

And does this mean the voting system goes back to the original format instead of only 6-7?

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
I'm still unignored

And does this mean the voting system goes back to the original format instead of only 6-7?
Look dude, just wait and you'll find out when he has updated it. The more questions you ask him, the longer it's gonna take.

DarkK

Smash Apprentice
This is what I didn't want, people saying Dr. Mario is good because of Nairo's performance. The fact of the matter is that Esam didn't know the MU at all, and Nairo played well. Dr. Mario is still where he was before (somewhere between low to low-mid) because he struggles against so many characters.

One thing about Esam's performance is that he never went for gimps, when that's all you should be doing against Dr. Mario. This is why Esam lost, he didn't know how to beat the character, not that the character is good.
3 - 0 means nothing to you? If Doc is so terrible, then how come ESAM couldn't deal with him as Pikachu? You're seriously claiming that he lost 3 to nothing simply because he didn't know how to deal with Doc?

I'm not saying he's god tier, I'm saying he's mid tier, or even high-mid tier.

I'm not trying to say you shouldn't pick Doc (though I know plenty of people who would say otherwise), Yeah, Doc is indeed the most different, and that does make a change in his playstyle. But let's be honest, anything you can do with Doc, you can do with Mario, which he does better... comboing, recovering, approaching, better/safer off stage game. Perhaps the only thing Doc is better at is raw killing, but with Mario having a safer approach and better combo game, that's also up for debate too. But you are correct, Doc isn't just Mario with a lab coat on. He does require a completely different playstyle. It's this which is also part of the problem, when Doc just doesn't do anything to stand out in comparison. For example, Doc is a punish style character, but has bad mobility, but there are characters like Bowser and Charizard who can do the same job as Doc (Punish), but have better mobility (even though Bowser probably ends up worse due to his size and lack of landing options, but that's a whole other argument) and recovery. And what I was saying about his frame data earlier was probably worded wrong, and also about Mario existing making him bad. You are correct that obviously having Mario's frame data is indeed fantastic for him. What I was getting at is that Mario just has more going for him with the said data, thanks to things like better launch angles, misc. things that include his short hop height and air speed that really make a difference. Doc is FAR from bad, but he just doesn't have anything specific about him to make him great either.
True, Mario has a lot of things going for him because of his speed and combo abilities, but Doc can stand on his own as well, just not at the same level as Mario. Funny enough, Doc is a weird matchup for Mario, as he can cancel out most of his dthrow combos with nair or up B, while Mario can't really break out of dthrow to up B/up air because of the added knockback Doc's dthrow has. It's apparently an even match up, but I just find it funny how Mario has a strange time against Doc.

A buff on Doc's mobility or adding more hitstun to his up air so it can be comboed into Up B would be great. Doc needs a bit of a better mobility to truly shine.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
Ok updated.

Ganon was easily ahead of the rest of tier 7 to move up, it wasnt even close.
Palutena lead the way to get a boost into tier 5, but with Dedede actually voted higher on average (that was a bit strange) there wasnt enough of a gap for her to get a move up, there needed to be a clear consensus.

Now we vote on tier 5

5::4wiifitm::4marth::4kirby::4robinf::4tlink::4duckhunt::4bowserjr::4charizard::4lucina::4drmario::4littlemac::4gaw:

Top Bottom