• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Have you guys finished teh conversation about pokemon mating since I was at work?

Yeah, then we went to shota/traps, and then loli via Habenero's personal request. I put up 100 1D gifs, and now we're on DBZ.

You're caught up.

D

Deleted member

GT was just plain bad, like, walking in on your dad trying on negligee bad. The series had an absurd amount of potential but they absolutely squandered all of it. Seriously, how on Earth did they screw up the Hell Saga? Every Dragonball villain has suddenly come back to life... that creates a million awesome story ideas on its own and yet they went with none of them. Pan could have been cool and so could have been Trunks but, as you said, Goku took over everything and made everybody useless in comparison. In DBZ, they at least gave some of the lesser characters moments of coolness like when Krillin stands up to Frieza or when Tien stalls Cell by repeatedly driving him into the ground with the tribeam force but they spared those to absolutely no one in GT.
This. Dragon Ball GT was such a disappointment looking back at it. I always felt as the quality was a step down from Dragon Ball Z when watching it on Cartoon Network.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Not to mention the controversy that is "racebending," at least in Avatar's case. Plenty of great Asian actors to pick from, and yet...

We'll not go there.

Smooth Criminal
I'd rather go there.

[collapse=Well not really but being nitpicky.]The only thing that truly puzzled me was the inverted versions of the Fire Nation and Water Tribe. Seriously, Water Tribe was all but completely known for being ambiguously brown more than any other nation. Meanwhile the Fire Nation, which aside from a few extreme examples has the lightest skin tone on average (just looking at the royal family and friends alone). So in place of them even pretending to follow canon, they go with non-asian-or-even-dark Water Tribe (don't even get me started on how wrong "Soak-uh" is) and totally-not-Bollywood Fire Nation, featuring General Stonewall Iroh. For all its quirks, I can actually understand how people could at least attempt to enjoy the movie (not for being Avatar, but like my little nephew/brother said they thought "effect" were cool), yet can't imagine how many things had to go wrong for this thing to even be conceived.[/collapse]

/wangsty "THEY RUINED IT FOREVER" rant.

I actually haven't seen DBZAbridged at all since returning from my latest 6-month hiatus (season finale was last thing I saw)

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I've seen every episode of DBZ Abridged and it seems like it's only getting better and better, lmfao

If I could, I would seriously change my name to Super Kami Guru on here

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I've seen every episode of DBZ Abridged and it seems like it's only getting better and better, lmfao

If I could, I would seriously change my name to Super Kami Guru on here
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaail. I saw a bird... It was pretty. Kick its ass.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I kind of liked the first part of GT, it was very adventure feeling

Kind of like Dragon Ball

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I remember watching DBZ back in the day. Really liked Dragonball too. Does anime even air in a primetime slot on mainstream American kids networks anymore?

Anyway, I have been thinking about how much things have changed over the past generation especially in regards to Nintendo fans. It seemed back even during the GameCube generation that their fans were really optimistic and looked forward to game releases. Really, up until 2009 was a really good time to be a Nintendo fan.

Playing games like WarioWare Smooth Moves, made me think how much of a paradigm shift the Wii remote was, and how it could bring new life into even Nintendo's franchises (playing Prime 3 made me feel even stronger about this). However, it seems after the Wii's first year, Nintendo started to become a lot more conservative in regards to their game design decisions and opting more and more towards aiming games towards beginners. The last three Mario platformers (NSMB2, NSMBU, and 3D Land) show this especially.

Nintendo fans in general don't seem like a very large faction anymore. I am wondering where they have all gone. Did they all just quit going on to game forums due to having full time jobs and families?

Speaking as a Nintendo fan myself, there is barely any software on the horizon that I am looking forward, and I am pretty much done with games in general. Sure, I like going back to games I already own, but I don't feel the need to shell out $50-60 for merely "just another sequel" like I did years ago.

Still, I don't like the direction gaming is going in.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
*shrugs.* Take from my comment what you will. It was godawful typecasting; hem and haw all you want about postracial ideology and the intent of the director, it was a ****ing blunder on all levels.
Agreed. It would be one thing if M. Night casted great actors, but c'mon! Virtually no one in the cast was noticeable, a high caliber actor, or heck, even mediocre as an actor. On top of that, there were like no Asian people in The Last Airbender. That's like making a movie in America with no one with an American accent; it just makes no sense.
One Piece is too damn long. I just can't invest that much time into an anime.
One Piece, Naruto, and pretty much nearly every long anime needs a "Kai" version of them... albeit a tad longer. DBZ Kai was nice, and did really well for what it was. However, IMO it was a tad too short with a few important details here and there, as well as a few "quiet" moments. Hopefully they do a tad better with the Buu Saga.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hopefully they do a tad better with the Buu Saga.
Kai ended years ago in Japan. I am doubtful they will be doing the Buu saga. I think Kai did not get to the Buu saga because the DBZ merchandise and games was not selling as well as they were hoping.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I remember watching DBZ back in the day. Really liked Dragonball too. Does anime even air in a primetime slot on mainstream American kids networks anymore?

Anyway, I have been thinking about how much things have changed over the past generation especially in regards to Nintendo fans. It seemed back even during the GameCube generation that their fans were really optimistic and looked forward to game releases. Really, up until 2009 was a really good time to be a Nintendo fan.

Playing games like WarioWare Smooth Moves, made me think how much of a paradigm shift the Wii remote was, and how it could bring new life into even Nintendo's franchises (playing Prime 3 made me feel even stronger about this). However, it seems after the Wii's first year, Nintendo started to become a lot more conservative in regards to their game design decisions and opting more and more towards aiming games towards beginners. The last three Mario platformers (NSMB2, NSMBU, and 3D Land) show this especially.

Nintendo fans in general don't seem like a very large faction anymore. I am wondering where they have all gone. Did they all just quit going on to game forums due to having full time jobs and families?

Speaking as a Nintendo fan myself, there is barely any software on the horizon that I am looking forward, and I am pretty much done with games in general. Sure, I like going back to games I already own, but I don't feel the need to shell out $50-60 for merely "just another sequel" like I did years ago.

Most anime airs in different ways, such as Hulu. Anime still airs on Adult Swim, in a revived Toonami block I believe. But I can't recall any animes airing in primetime on a major network.

I think many Nintendo fans have become multi-platform users. They buy games mainly on their other console, and buy the few Nintendo games they want. And they don't mention their Nintendo console.

Both the Mario and Zelda series have stagnated, and that's where Nintendo used to focus their innovative sense. The Zelda series has been stagnant in terms of game design for a while, and they kept on refining the OOT formula. They tried to innovate with Skyward Sword, but other backward elements (overworld and fetchquests) overshadowed their innovations. Which is why they mentioned rethinking Zelda in that Nintendo Direct.Metroid has become dormant again due to the response for Other M.

Increasingly, the innovation in games is coming from integrating strong storytelling with gameplay actions. The Walking Dead: The Video Game is the best example of this. Nintendo has struggled with this type of innovation, so they probably won't be able to succeed this generation in that regard. They definitely have become more conservative in game design.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Kai ended years ago in Japan. I am doubtful they will be doing the Buu saga. I think Kai did not get to the Buu saga because the DBZ merchandise and games was not selling as well as they were hoping.
Kai is confirmed to continue in at least America, which is funny, because Kai ratings gotta be very low, especially since it is on Disney XD, a channel that a lot less people have than Cartoon Network (and on top of that, it's a channel that is a lot crappier than Cartoon Network, and it is not even close).
You must be a huge smash star, huh? :troll:
I once talked to a person and I pointed out something to them. "You see, even that star wants to be me! You know what? I like that star, and I would let it and all the stars hang out with me!" The person responded to me by saying "I want to be a star!" And that is where the phrase and idea of "being a star" comes from!

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^^^^ You are probably right. They're the channels next to each other, and I only watched either of them for like 3 shows tops (Dragon Ball and some 90's shows on Nicktoons, and the Avengers, Spider-Man, and Disney movies on Disney XD).
I kind of liked the first part of GT, it was very adventure feeling

Kind of like Dragon Ball
Well DBGT had great plot ideas ("new places to explore!" "the greatest villains of all-time escape from hell!" "the dragons turn on the Z fighters, as do their dragon ball wishes"), but they were poorly utilized.

I think the whole "universe exploration" would have been better if either Goku's powers were neutered, they had to explore a different dimension, or Goku wasn't a part of the adventure. I also think think that having Goten, and several non-Saiyans. It also would have been nice if Bulla and maybe even Maron became legit fighters, as well as see Pan (maybe Bulla, too) become a SSJ1 and 2, as well as all the other Saiyans becoming SSJ3 at least.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
The only scene me and my sister even remembered and laughed at in GT was when Goku taunts some giant monster while pulling down his pants. :chuckle:

Also, Tien was such a chump in that Super Buu vs Gohan fight, seriously does one blast and is like "welp, I'm done."

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Also, Tien was such a chump in that Super Buu vs Gohan fight, seriously does one blast and is like "welp, I'm done."
Still blasting one of Super Buu's shots away was pretty badass. Man I liked Krillin, Tien and Yamcha so much in DB, while Krillin and Tien continued to do some cool things. Yamcha [who did plenty of cool stuff in DB, I mean he fought off a guy with a broken leg at one point] was shafted, then the other 2 were, then everyone from DB even Piccolo eventually was shafted. It ticks me off.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Well, I'd hate not really to break the DBZ talk, but according to my clock, we have about 10-15 until we get the pic of the day. Any bets on what it will be? Im going with Fox doing a thing or Link doing a thing.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Well, I'd hate not really to break the DBZ talk, but according to my clock, we have about 10-15 until we get the pic of the day. Any bets on what it will be? Im going with Fox doing a thing or Link doing a thing.
Probably Fox and Pit playing reflector pinball with a Samus Charge shot... On second thought probably not.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207

Pic of the day! The unnamed 3Ds Mario stage with Kirby and Pikachu derpin around. Looks like a scrolled, similar to mushroom kingdom.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Wow, the updates are an hour or so later than the Brawl Dojo updates=??? Huh! :ohwell:

I'm betting on yet another photo not a single person cares about.
At least he did something. All Piccolo did was provide humor and instruction. All the other non-Saiyans did absolutely nothing, save for Hercule, the Supreme Kai (saving peoples), the Elder Kai (giving good instructions), Mr. Popo (by pushing Dende off of the Lookout), and Dende (by being a guardian and healing Goku).

Literally no other non-Saiyan did anything related to combat except Tien... which says a lot about how worthless every major Dragon Ball character was made. I get that Yamcha was always a weak link, and that Chiaotzu never actually won a fight (at least in the manga), but c'mon! Krillin, Tien, and Piccolo should have always been relevant! Besides, it is a little weird the most powerful heroes are all a bunch of aliens (on Earth).

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Well at least it was a pic of a stage we haven't seen yet. Or at least I don't recognize it from the trailers.

Mr.Universe

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1864-9620-1149
Wait, this is a new stage, isn't it? I didn't know about out, so it might as well be news to me. So yay, some new info!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Lol, Fastblade ninja'd all of you.

If this stage ends up being the next Mushroomy Kingdom, not too excited. Of course it will be good for ****s and giggles though, I guess.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well I guess we do have a separate 3D Land and NSMB stage.

Not sure if, in what I'm calling New Mushroom Kingdom, is directly lifted from any particular level from the series but it certainly looks a lot less cluttered than Mushroom Kingdom or Mushroomy Kingdom.

D

Deleted member

Oh look! Another screen we've already seen!
Who would of thought of that kind of thing=???

Seriously, IGN already had that photo about a month ago. I... G... N!!!
This was the image we've seen.

Not the same image. At all.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Hmmm... what if it DOES scroll, but it only scrolls in... increments? After a set amount of time?

Seems like that would be a nice little compromise. Scrolling stages never seem to be received very well.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Wow, the updates are an hour or so later than the Brawl Dojo updates=??? Huh! :ohwell:

I'm betting on yet another photo not a single person cares about.

At least he did something. All Piccolo did was provide humor and instruction. All the other non-Saiyans did absolutely nothing, save for Hercule, the Supreme Kai (saving peoples), the Elder Kai (giving good instructions), Mr. Popo (by pushing Dende off of the Lookout), and Dende (by being a guardian and healing Goku).

Literally no other non-Saiyan did anything related to combat except Tien... which says a lot about how worthless every major Dragon Ball character was made. I get that Yamcha was always a weak link, and that Chiaotzu never actually won a fight (at least in the manga), but c'mon! Krillin, Tien, and Piccolo should have always been relevant! Besides, it is a little weird the most powerful heroes are all a bunch of aliens (on Earth).
Yeah, I have several gripes about the Buu Saga. While it was one thing to turn everyone into useless bystanders if you weren't a saiyan, they even made all the saiyans basically useless except for Goku. Vegeta blows himself up and it doesn't do crap, Gohan gets this awesome new strength that doesn't do crap, Gotenks gets SS3 and it doesn't do crap and furthermore he's an idiot. Not to mention cheapening super saiyan by giving it to Trunks and Goten while everyone else worked their butts off to get there.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Hmmm... what if it DOES scroll, but it only scrolls in... increments? After a set amount of time?

Seems like that would be a nice little compromise. Scrolling stages never seem to be received very well.
That'd be interesting.

I personally preferred the way Mushroomy Kingdom scrolled in Brawl, but this would be good too.

D

Deleted member

Can't really thnk of any sadly. Without prime time anime, I wouldn't have any interest in anime in the first place. Those memories of DBZ and DB... They won't be forgotten.

My main concern with the direction of gaming is the increasing focus on online. Now don't get me wrong, I like online and do appreciate digital downloads for niche games, but eventually it's going to get to the point where every game is going digital. Honestly, I'm not comfortable with such a future and like having physical cartridges. It's why I'm going back to older platforms after SSB4 and not newer ones since they'll more than satisfy whatever gaming cravings I may have.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Pretty sure we have two Mario stages revealed.

The 3D Land one with the spikes coming from the bottom.

And this New Mushroomy Kingdom from the New Super Mario Bros series.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Pretty sure we have two Mario stages revealed.

The 3D Land one with the spikes coming from the bottom.

And this New Mushroomy Kingdom from the New Super Mario Bros series.
I'm looking forward to that 3D Land stage.
From what I've seen, those two platforms are riding on a trail that goes from the foreground to the background, and they intersect with the spike columns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom