• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Hey guys? What's the new info?

Or uhh, I might go check the other thread haww.... :p
Nope, no new info, but today's picture shows more of the NSMB stage.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was called New Mushroom Kingdom.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Nope, no new info, but today's picture shows more of the NSMB stage.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was called New Mushroom Kingdom.
Hehe aww. :)

And on the ages old topic from ages ago, I didn't mind Camp Lazlo actually.

Does anyone remember Hihi Puffy Amy Yumi show btw?

I know it's off topic as well but I recently saw Despicable Me 2. I quite liked the first one so I was interested to see what happened. There'll be spoilers here so if you don't want to know turn back now.

So basically, the movie was fine but the complication was a little underwhelming, I suppose my feelings are.

Basically, in the first one you have a really nice plotline - the complication is intriguing and interesteding and there's clashes in problems - Gru has the whole thing with the moon as well as Agnes' dance recital to deal with at the same time and there's a really nice emotional aspect to him and Margo late in the movie.

In this one, the complication felt more ordered and not really in a good way. I mean, basically the characters were always dealing with one major issue at a time, or if there were other issues they were small. Although the love theme was touched upon I don't really think it went deep enough here, especially in considering the rest of the story-line. There's one single flashback to Gru's failure at a relationship early on in primary school but that's about it and seems to be the one singular thing holding him back from having a relationship as an adult, which seems kinda weak even for a kid movie IMO.

And so aside from that the main complication is always one-at-a-time stuff. They have a mystery, they find a guy, he ends up being framed, they find the real guy very quickly, minions go bonkers, cure the minions, baddie goes bonkers, beat the baddie, rocket to volcano with agent Wilde is set off by bad guy's pet chicken, she gets saved by Gru (with very little emotional aspect to it - Agent Wilde is a great character don't get me wrong, but I don't like how that was prioritised here over some kind of emotional beauty or greater danger. The danger of falling from a height without a parachute, for instance, isn't even touched upon. Nope, they save her way before they come near the volcano and drop into the water and that's about it.

I know you might say 'well this is a kid's movie', but before you do I want you to think about another sequel recently(ish) released in a series, which was Toy Story 3. It shouldn't be hard to remember the incinerator scene here, where the toys hold hands in the face of certain doom in acceptance of their fate. This is a kids movie - but the way they portrayed the emotions of everyone's emotions in that scene was actually really well done in my opinion - it really did shock me.

Brave is another nice example. It was a little clichéd but the slow transformation of the mother into a bear and the climax were quite compelling IMO.

I guess I just wish DM 2 could have touched on that a little more, or else made the complication a tad more compelling.

So it was a good story, the characters were fine as usual, the humour was totally on par ("He died in the most macho way possible: Tied to the back of a shark on a rocket with hundreds of sticks of dynamite headed straight into the mouth of an open volcano!" :p) I just think the ending wasn't that memorable, sadly. I dunno.

Anyway, that's my little movie rant. What did you guys think? :p

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I don't think we are getting any more character confirmations (veteran or newcomer) until October at the earliest (or whenever Nintendo has their major fall Nintendo Direct). The same goes for new stage confirmations.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
("He died in the most macho way possible: Tied to the back of a shark on a rocket with hundreds of sticks of dynamite headed straight into the mouth of an open volcano!" :p)
This is actually my status on AIM. My status on Skype the day I saw it (Sunday) was "Lipstick Tazer needs to be a thing." :bee:

I agree with the majority of what you said. I felt like the issue for me was that it took forever for the plot to move on, and as you said they took it at a "one-step-at-a-time" pace. Like one moment it's Agnes' birthday, the next Dr. Nefario is resigning, the next Gru is working at a mall, etc.. Then the plot just randomly escalates a rapid pace, we get the confirmation of the antagonist, expected twist of Nefario defecting (twice)/Minions being used for evil, then diving into a volcano on the shark all within like 20 minutes. That said, I loved the character development (El Macho <3) and setting. Humor was great, too.

The love theme was bound to be done sooner or later, IMO, and it was handled about as lazily as the it gets, even for a kid movie. I'm also agreeing with you here, I absolutely loved Agent Lola BunnyWilde, and thought the chemistry between the two was adorable. But the ending didn't really help solidify anything (I noticed by the latter half of the movie that the only thing the audience even cared about was Minion-shenanigans, with the occasional "D'aww" for Gru's foreveralone moments) other than the fact that it was probably rushed/condensed compared to the rest of the movie.

Last but not least I felt like they just left too many loose ends not answered/"What happened to the mouse?" moments (ex: the AVL just stopped existing after they nabbed the wrong guy), and moved in favor of making some grandiose moments that were sure to "wow" the audiences (admittedly I absolutely loved the entrance to the underwater AVL base sequence).

The rest of the movie was pretty cool (didn't feel as "hype" as the original overall), and though I did nitpick a few things here and there (Edith once again gets screwed over in favor of Margo and Agnes' side stories, and we never see what Gru ends up doing as far as his "small business" plans were concerned) out of pure personal preference, I loved the movie overall. Glad I watched it.

ALSO NOT REALLY A SPOILER BUT LOVE BOAT REFERENCE.

On a more topic-topic, it makes me really sad that people can't tell the difference between 3D Land and NSMB.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hmmm... what if it DOES scroll, but it only scrolls in... increments? After a set amount of time?

Seems like that would be a nice little compromise. Scrolling stages never seem to be received very well.
I'd like that. I never found scrolling stages to be all that fun either because I felt it was too distracting.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Not sure if this has been posted, but Newegg is running $5 off a pre-order of the 3DS version with promo code EMCXNXL95.
Also have the new 3DS Zelda for $5 off with promo code EMCXNXL94

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Hmmm...not sure if i should go with the OP Blood Benders (soowoo)
Or Earth Benders... I think I'll go with Earth Bender's since Toph is so clutch.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
**** it I can't choose between the elements! I think Fire would suit me best however. Then again, am rather reckless, so I'd probably be better of with something else. Don't like having no hair, so Air is out of the question, and I don't like the cold, so that leaves out Water to. Earth or Fire for me. Think I might prefer Earth if I can grow... certain sort of plants though :awesome:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Dang, missed an Avatar conversation?

Wind and water are the best for real world applications... probably Wind most of all. Get you going places faster, and since it's invisible you can make it look like shiz is happening on its own.

Water'd be useful for cooling down your drinks and cleaning up spills.

and BLOOD BENDING.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sakurai's Miiverse caption for the pic: "This shows a traveling stage in the moment just after Bowser got blasted from below in the first trailer."

So I guess it's a stage that goes through NSMB 1, 2, and 3D Land.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Can I be the avatar? :troll:
I guess I could be like Korra and temporarily limit myself to one element like she did during pro-bending. In that case I'd be a water bender. I love how versatile they are and because they're much more likely to be out of their element they have to be a lot more creative. Plus I always just loved water type.

Mr.Universe

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1864-9620-1149
Who needs bending when you have Lieutenant's electric batons

I'd probably go with Earthbending, although Firebending would be a close second. I think it had the best offensive and defensive capabilities out of the four elements and Metalbending would be so useful.
Auggh, when is Season 2 coming out!!!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Who needs bending when you have Lieutenant's electric batons

I'd probably go with Earthbending, although Firebending would be a close second. I think it had the best offensive and defensive capabilities out of the four elements and Metalbending would be so useful.
Auggh, when is Season 2 coming out!!!
Firebending sounds like it'd be the most useless since there isn't that much fire naturally occurring. They had to make up crap in order to make it work in the series

Edit: In fact, there is a marvel super hero that has "Firebending" abilities and he has to carry around a flamethrower in order to do anything

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Was there an Avatar discussion?

Fire for me. :p
(Not very familiar with the show, but still.)

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Did you just reference Captain Planet? That was the kind of show you would only watch because nothing else was on before school.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Sakurai's Miiverse caption for the pic: "This shows a traveling stage in the moment just after Bowser got blasted from below in the first trailer."

So I guess it's a stage that goes through NSMB 1, 2, and 3D Land.
I'm thrilled those titles are seemingly being represented through a single stage rather than multiple ones, since they all have similar enough visuals. That opens up room for other Mario stages I want to see, namely stuff from the RPG titles.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
But there are 5 elements though

Actually, in Avatar there are five elements. Just one's not discussed so much.

For anyone who hasn't seen Avatar, they really should... even if they're not into cartoons and the such. I recently rewatched it with my girlfriend (who doesn't do cartoons/the other juvenile shiz that I'm into) and she loved it.

It's, I'd say, literally the best animated show ever?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Actually, in Avatar there are five elements. Just one's not discussed so much.

For anyone who hasn't seen Avatar, they really should... even if they're not into cartoons and the such. I recently rewatched it with my girlfriend (who doesn't do cartoons/the other juvenile shiz that I'm into) and she loved it.

It's, I'd say, literally the best animated show ever?
Way to ignore the joke. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom