• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Fox Assault

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
I picked up my copy of the game today and I'm like 50/50 on this...

the flight missions are pretty cool, with GREAT visuals and decent controls, but the land missions are AWFUL. They're so frustrating. The control scheme is sluggish. The landrover-tank thingy sucks. It's just ALL bad while you're not flying your ship.

But yeah, when you're flying your ship, it's all sorts of old school Star Fox goodness. Hopefully Nintendo gets a clue and starts releasing games the way people LOVE to play them, and OMFG!!!!! Don't lease a Nintendo franchise to freakin' NAMCO.

Turbos

Smash Cadet
Why is everyone so cramped about the Foot controls? I find them very similar to Metroid Prime ('cept Y is to jump instead of B, which made me waste a barrier once in a while.) The foot levels were awsome, and the 3rd level was the best combination IMO (not to mention the best level period with the base invasion while trying to keep the commotion outside to a minimum and holding back Star Wolf. plus Slippy running around with a Gataling and shouting "No Mercy!" was pretty amusing too.). The tank parts were difficult to say the lest, since it's kinda slow on the handling side, though it all works out well in the end. The Bronze medals are easy, got 6 of them on my first tme through, and I got all Ally medals first time through also. Never died untill the last level on Bronze (though, that takes a change on Silver and Gold -_-; ). The Multiplayer was awsome too, though... I does get kinda of annoying when your little sister takes
Wolf O' Donnel
and PWNS you with Falco. I found myself running for my life most of the time, especially when she finds an Arwing and does fly-by shootings while I'm out in the open. That's a good time to break out the Homing Launcher or Sniper Rifle. Plus learning the timing to dodge is good too, though I think that
Wolf has the most cheap dodge, since he goes invisible and dashes to the side, making it impossible to hit him since the shot will go right through

All in all, I say you should by this game if you like Star Fox, or even for the Arwing missions. It's all good.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
ok, are you guys nuts?!

I played the game, and when you have the controls set to "R is run" mode, it's perfectly fine in my book. Anyway, I thought the foot missions were fun. I also thought that the storyline was pretty good too. I don't know what you guys are complaining about. Oh, btw, there's an assumption here, and I want to clear it up so no one is like "Noooo!" if they read previous spoilers:
If you're reading this, then you probably have already read that you have to "kill" General Pepper...this is assumed, b/c if you listen to the chat during the battle, Pepper is never taken over (Aparoids can only take over people with weak wills) and also, some comments point to the fact that he'll be fine: "Don't worry about the General...He's a tough old hound dog." -Panther; and "If you're quick enough, Fox, maybe you can just destroy the machine." -Peppy and...at the ending it is strongly suggestive that the General Pepper lives. (He's shown in the characters section.)
anyway, just wanted to clarify that...when I first heard...I was like "No, not him!"

I can't agree more
Wolf's Dodge IS cheap!
it's annoying....

I got my copy Friday.

Okay, so I beat the end boss already, blahblah "short". Whatever. I have, like, so many medals and flags to get, and I will have them all some day.

By the way, who likes using the Single Stick mode? Aye!
At first I had no idea how to shoot up into the air on foot or in a landmaster, but I got it eventually. Not in time to save Krystal though.

Oh, and speaking of the Landmaster, ya it's hard to turn and it falls off things a lot, but it's a tank! Show me a tank with good handling, huh?

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
hmmm

yeah, the good thing though is that you don't have to play through story mode EVERY time just to get ONE medal (like in SF64).....I've gotten all the bronze medals, and am working to get the silver medals to unlock Exevious (no spoiler mentioned right on the game and in the manual). As for the flags, they're a pain in the butt to find.....so far the most I've found is 3 on the very last level.

The Windwaker

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Shadow Master Mewtwo
I got my copy Friday.

Oh, and speaking of the Landmaster, ya it's hard to turn and it falls off things a lot, but it's a tank! Show me a tank with good handling, huh?
The tank from Starfox 64 had good handling and I wish that Namco/Nintndo didn't scrap the oldschool Landmaster modes and implemented the new all-range mode (nearly for everything) landmaster.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Tank have never had good handling. The Landmaster has always been a crappy vehicle to move around in. Hell, if anything the Landmaster in Assault handles better than the on in the 64 version.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
hmmm

I'd have to agree, the SF:A landmaster handles better than the 64 one. I hate how the new one can't fire very fast though...

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
heh

A: Nope, not a SINGLE rail mission for the landmaster, it's always used in "all range mode". Bummer huh?

Radius-86

Smash Ace
The only problem I had with the Landmaster was when shot at close range. I didn't realise it dealt damage to the tank and the pilot inside as well.

Other than that, I found it to be a very effective vehicle. The slow rate of fire is balanced by high firepower, as it stronger Aparoids as well as turrets in a single hit, which neither the Arwing or Pilot can do. This is important in missions where lots of strong Aparoids are about, since the time it takes to charge a blaster will deplete your combo gauge.

When getting swarmed by a group of small Aparoids, you can run them over without taking damage, which is much more effective than shooting everything one at a time, not to mention that if you get swarmed, shooting them may damage yourself if the enemies are nearby.

The Landmaster is very effective against the random aerial enemies flying around, especially on Sauria. When your cursor highlights an enemy, it's pretty much a guaranteed hit, even on a moving target. The Landmaster actually shoots off target into the space where the Aparoid will fly towards. This is pretty effective in maintaining a good combo on Sauria, as well as a good way to deplete the might gauge without having to switch vehicles (in which case, will consume time and destroy your combo). The airborne enemies also don't return fire when you are in the Landmaster whereas they will chase you when you're in the Arwing.

As far as single player goes, the Landmaster is pretty useful. In multiplayer, I'm not sure whether the ease of hitting airborne foes applies, and I'm quite sure the Landmaster remains unable to dodge lock-ons unless it's taking cover under a structure of some sort. I've still got my doubts to using Landmaster in multiplayer.

As for controls, the only thing I didn't like is the inability to move forward/backward while turning using the single stick. You can do it with the dual stick control setup, except that benefit comes with a disadvantage of it's own - the immense difficulty in sidestepping into a corridor and aiming upwards to blast a laser turret when on foot. The needs you to use the Control Stick, L, R, and the C-Stick, and it was pretty hard for me. I didn't even bother with the third setup because you can't run backwards. I didn't mind too much though, because when I gave it a little thought, if they mapped sidestepping to L and R (so you can sidestep left/right while moving backwards), then camera would have to be the C-stick - and it's pretty hard to use the C-stick and the A button at the same time to aim and shoot, since I'm sure we all have one thumb ;).

I was a little worried when many people had complaints with the Landmaster, fell off high altitude frequently, and had trouble performing the sidestep - I guess they were tense when they played, so they found it hard to avoid pressing L all the way down. If you're good with controls though, you shouldn't have any problems, and if not, you'll get used to it. I never had any problems myself, which is probably why I enjoyed the ground missions.

On another note, most of the multiplayer songs are quite poor :(.

Turbos

Smash Cadet
Originally posted by Radius-86

On another note, most of the multiplayer songs are quite poor :(.
Dude, what are you talking about? They rock! Especially the Katina Base one. Corneria's comes in second though.

TranquilStarfall

Smash Journeyman
Oh gawd, finally some real video game raters, I'm seriously tired of people cloning IGN and Gamespot's rating and saying the game sucks right off the bat without even playing it. This game seriously isn't that bad, not saying it's perfect but WTF I think it's better than SF64 and/or Adventures. If it was up to me, i'd give this game an 8.1 due to the face that the ground action can really be fun, even in multiplayer. Arwing parts are awesome, what I hate though, is that there isn't that many rail levels. Free roam lvls are pretty nice but it's not as fun as the on-rail, when everything is scripted so perfectly (the voices)

I'm glad alot of people got this game, this is the kind of game that you need to dedicate time in to play the game and acknowledge it for what it is, for all i know. These guys at IGN/Gamespot/GameInformer could have been playing 60 other games at once while rating Starfox so I'm guessing that's why it got such a poor look at

Holy crap, how could I forget, the music. All of the remixes are AWESOME, cept Corneria IMO....the new songs are awesome too, whoever wrote then Nintendo/Namco, I don't care they pwn. Especially the song for mission one :).

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
hmmmmm

Well, I wouldn't go as far to say that it surpasses Star Fox 64, but it's definitely better than Star Fox Adventures. Mainly the reason for SF64 being better is the fact that it was longer, had way more levels, and you could customize your gameplay. (choosing routes, etc.) I do agree with you for the most part, though, people are far to judgemental on this game. I mean what the heck people!?! Bad control schemes? There's 3 different ones to choose from, IMO one will be good. Anyway, I've unlocked most of the stuff for versus mode, I just have a quick question:
where the heck do I find the cluster bombs? Like, on what levels? (oh...and for those of you who are thinking "didn't this guy mention that he didn't have many people to play with?" I answer you this: I played 185 matches by myself....BORING, and 15 with a friend...)
oh and..
what is demon sniper vs. mode?
I don't see what's special about it...

TranquilStarfall

Smash Journeyman
Re: hmmmmm

Originally posted by Mewtwo is #1
Well, I wouldn't go as far to say that it surpasses Star Fox 64, but it's definitely better than Star Fox Adventures. Mainly the reason for SF64 being better is the fact that it was longer, had way more levels, and you could customize your gameplay. (choosing routes, etc.) I do agree with you for the most part, though, people are far to judgemental on this game. I mean what the heck people!?! Bad control schemes? There's 3 different ones to choose from, IMO one will be good. Anyway, I've unlocked most of the stuff for versus mode, I just have a quick question:
where the heck do I find the cluster bombs? Like, on what levels? (oh...and for those of you who are thinking "didn't this guy mention that he didn't have many people to play with?" I answer you this: I played 185 matches by myself....BORING, and 15 with a friend...)
oh and..
what is demo sniper vs. mode?
I don't see what's special about it...
Excuse me for not being a smashboards regular but...why the heck is some of your post blanked out..

Yeow! Gotta get... outa... the way!

Okay, Fichina r0x0rZ, especially the part
on Falco's wing.
My combo ot so friggin high, I got Bronze and Silver easy (haven't tried any Golds yet)

I also dig how
Wolf, Leon, and Panther team up with you starting in Corneria.
Whoever wrote the storyline gets my vote... um, to write more stories?
When the time comes, don't hesitate... just act.
Great stuff.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Well since I got Wario Ware for my birthday, my faith in high scores has been replenished so I may still get this game. It does look short, but the difficulty ratings should help keep me occupied. And for some reason I always find I like games that other people diss. Like I was told not to buy Animal Crossing because it gets boring after a month or two. But I'm still playing it regularly and it's been two years!

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
hmm

Yeah, I would highly recommend getting it, best game for the gamecube I've seen in a while. Anyway, update!
I unlocked everything for vs. mode! Yay (except demon sniper vs. mode) man that was boring
heh...aren't I crazy? Oh and:
has anyone found out the location of the cluster bombs yet?
I've looked on nearly all the maps, but I can't find even ONE! AHHH. Please help me.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
hmm

What?! So
the cluster bomb
is a arwing/wolfen only item? Ok, I'll check there, thanks for finally clear things up.

Here's a quick and dirty way to rack up tons of multiplayer matchups with only one person:

Survival > 1 life > Outer Sargasso / Orbital Gate

It won't take long for one of the Arwings to crash and burn, then it's battle over. You can even leave the room and it'll play itself out.

By the way, is there any way to get on someone's wing in Multiplayer? I've tried it on Fichina but always fall off in seconds, and don't have the plasma cannon.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
heh

Yeah, and what really speeds up the process is when you make it sure-shot mode....1 hit, 1 kill. Unfortunately, you always have to press start after the battle and "retry", too bad that wasn't automatically too! Anyway!

As for the wing thing....all you do is press "Z" while flying...don't walk around though, you'll easily fall off. Ease the stick to the left or right (if you're on R is run mode.) to look around. As for the plasma cannon, I'm 99.9% sure that it's only available in single player...b/c I've scanned through my weapons while out on the wing, and no plasma cannon. IMO riding on the wing in vs. mode = useless.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
I played my copy of Star Fox Assault at Megacon here in Florida and a good majority of the players who tried it out said it was like a playing a fuzzy animal version of Halo. You could tell they were Halo players too, because the second you stuck them in a Arwing only stage, well, they got annoying to say the least. They would ***** and moan about how it's gay that Star Fox uses Arwings and that the only thing it should have is no radar and sure-fire with sniper rifles. I wanted to smack them upside the head so bad.God **** Halo players compare that stupid game to everything they freakin' play.

Turbos

Smash Cadet
Originally posted by Misto-Roboto
I played my copy of Star Fox Assault at Megacon here in Florida and a good majority of the players who tried it out said it was like a playing a fuzzy animal version of Halo. You could tell they were Halo players too, because the second you stuck them in a Arwing only stage, well, they got annoying to say the least. They would ***** and moan about how it's gay that Star Fox uses Arwings and that the only thing it should have is no radar and sure-fire with sniper rifles. I wanted to smack them upside the head so bad.God **** Halo players compare that stupid game to everything they freakin' play.

Do they compare it to Sonic too? If so then tell them that they need serious help. And that they're a bunch of Fanboys too

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Re: hmm

Originally spoiled by Mewtwo is #1
I unlocked everything for vs. mode! Yay (except demon sniper vs. mode)
There is a version of Sniper Vs. Mode with just the Demon Sniper?

Originally spoiled by Mewtwo is #1
has anyone found out the location of the cluster bombs yet?
I've looked on nearly all the maps, but I can't find even ONE! AHHH. Please help me.
Check any stage which an Arwing
/Wolfen
is in and has land.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
heh

Yeah, I just read in the official guide like 2 days ago that that's where you find it, that's for helping anyway. spoiler:
yeah, there's a mode where there's only the demon sniper rifles (one hit, one kill, but less ammo...pretty lame idea for the hardest thing in the game to unlock...b/c the normal sniper rifle kills anyone with one hit with the excpetion of Wolf, and he only has a silver of health left when hit by a shot at full health.) are available, ....you have to collect all 50 S Flags.
a major pain it is....I think.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Alright I just bought, (yeah I said bought) the game and it rocks. I love the fact that there is action in every corner.

The Arwing: Great but could be better.
though I love riding on it and sniping my friends.
Against a pilot or a landmaster in Vs mode will almost ensure victory, so that is helpfull when you are down to a sliver of damage. It also can go very fast compared to the pilot and Landmaster.

The Landmaster: It's awsome but don't face a slippy in Vs mode when he's in one... ..anyways, running over people is a must, especialy when the are fireing at you with all their might, and you just simply run over them and kill them. It can hover really high, making it so almost anywhere is reachable. It can also run over some enemys and kill them instantly.

Pilot, (On foot): This is the most fun part because of the huge selection of guns, (my favorites being the
gatling gun, and the demon sniper
) And hiding is also the best because of your small size. But when against a landmaster or an arwing, RUN AWAY or use an extremely effective gun.

1-Player mode: This isn't very difficult on easy, (I beat it in one day on easy) on medium, there are more bad guys and they are tougher and hard mode is even tougher, (obviousely)

Vs. Mode: This is the best part of the game. You get to play Fox, Falco, Slippy, (I call him Slappy) Krystal, Peppy, (unlock buy playing a bit of Vs.) and Wolf, (unlock him by getting a medal in every level) And set the rules to stock, points, and/or different item setups.

Hope I was helpful, (

well if I wasn't... ...tough because you just read it:D

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
HEY!

You need to go back an immediately spoiler ANY unlockable things. Anyway, quickie spoiler question:
did you get all 50 S Flags already? Did you or did you not use a guide?

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
The guide doesn't mention anything about a Demon Sniper Mode, but it does mention getting the Demon Sniper available after getting all 50 flags
. I believe I used the guides flag location on one of the stages because I was becoming impatient, but for the most part I found the rest on my own.

Not to reiterate myself, but the guide mentions nothing of a
Demon Sniper Mode
. Maybe I missed it, but where are you seeing this?

I actually like having the
Demon Sniper
while in an Arwing. I usually take advantage of the auto-pilot and zoom as far out of the stage's area as I can until I'm forced to turn back around. As soon as I'm flipped over and leveled out I hit "Z" and pull out my
Demon Sniper
and just pick off my opponents at a moving flying distance. Sucks if someone has a Homing Launcher though, because it rattles your ship and makes you think you're going to fall.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
hmmmm

Really? Maybe I misread it....I guess the demon sniper is just a weapon.
in that case, I think it's better that way, anyways. Anyway, I guess after I get all the silver and medals (or after the gold medals) I'll try for all the flags...usually I just get one-sided in my thinking when I want to get a medal....I switch onto "points only mode." If you know what I mean.

Radius-86

Smash Ace
Speaking of Arwing auto-pilot, my favourite moment in Star Fox Assault so far was using a homing launcher while on an auto-pilot Arwing, then jumping in when my friend locked on me with a Demon Laucher. Thinking I'd be able to stay alive after the Arwing crash lands, I was disappointed to find that the Arwing flew off the waterfall of Sauria.

That or maybe hitching a ride on a partner's Arwing/Wolfen or Landmaster with a rocket launcher - that way, I don't stay in one place on the map while I guide a missile.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Originally posted by Radius-86
That or maybe hitching a ride on a partner's Arwing/Wolfen or Landmaster with a rocket launcher - that way, I don't stay in one place on the map while I guide a missile.
That Missile Launcher does work best with a teammate. I can say without a doubt the Jet Packs can come in handy when someone is using Sniper guns on you.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
heh

I wish I could play multiplayer....with actual people......heck even playing against computers would be nice, but NO Nintendo had to spoil it! Anyway, a neat strategy is:
place predator rockets on a landmaster or arwing/wolfen then go fly underneath another enemy....auto lock-on! The good thing about the predators, is that they're unshakable!
I have yet to try it....I bet it's a nice strategy.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Re: heh

Originally posted by Mewtwo is #1
I wish I could play multiplayer....with actual people......heck even playing against computers would be nice, but NO Nintendo had to spoil it! Anyway, a neat strategy is:
place predator rockets on a landmaster or arwing/wolfen then go fly underneath another enemy....auto lock-on! The good thing about the predators, is that they're unshakable!
I have yet to try it....I bet it's a nice strategy.
This is untrue, it is possible to shoot them down if turn hard enough.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
hm

Then too, this isn't shaking them, but rather destroying them. My point is, if one is locked onto you.....look out.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
I thought the game was REALLY disappointing.

I liked Starfox 64. Alot. And the ground mission(s) weren't that bad. But I thought the point of this game was... flying... in SPACE... among the STARS... :crazy: Go figure...

First off, I'd like to point out I beat the game within 4 hours of renting it (And that was with a break in between work). I thought the land missions were rather redundant, find the red target, blow it up, find the next red target. >_> Flying missions were unsatisfying. And the characters voices were annoying. I thought maybe if they had some variety to the ground missions, it wouldn't be so bad... I just... *sigh* Stupid namco... I blame them for this. It did look promising. But show the public eye candy, and they'll buy it.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
Re: I thought the game was REALLY disappointing.

Originally posted by MaNCooN
Stupid namco... I blame them for this.
I agree with this one here, Namco shouldn't be making games for the Star Fox franchise....The reason they *might* have made it is b/c I heard a rumor that Mr. Miyamoto doesn't have an interest in the SF franchise anymore.

Ice_Climbers2

BRoomer
BRoomer
I feel lost...

I'm pretty confused right now. I have just beaten the game on bronze and have viewed the ending. What happened here??? I am even more lost than I was at the begginning of the final boss fight. Where did James come from? How did Peppy survive? What was he flying in? How did Pepper get there? Where is the Star Wolf team? None of this is explained. The only thing we are left with is Fox saying everything is okey dokey. Did anyone else understand this? I realize that maybe a better ending could appear if I beat it on a harder level but that still doesn't explain this. Can someone with a higher understanding explain this to me cuz I'm not figuring it out.

Overall, it was an okay game. SF64 still holds its place as the best.

Top Bottom