• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Fox Assault

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Um...Dengar had Pigma's last name since a long time ago so I don't know how you never knew.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Originally posted by MEWTWOMASTER2002
Um...Dengar had Pigma's last name since a long time ago so I don't know how you never knew.
I'm sure he's just making a reference to Star Wars no doubt...

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
The ground combat reminds me of Jet Force Gemini!

Does anyone remember that game?

I also think I saw a picture on some Japanese site of a four-player battle on foot, and one of the characters was in a FPS view! (Either that, or it was a new character who looked like a gun.)

I doubt this was a sniper rifle view, because someone was using a sniper rifle just one screen down from it, and it looked way different. There were no sights or anything on this gun (it was red and looked a bit like a brute shot from Halo II.)
Could we be able to switch back and forth between First Person and 3rd Person views? If so, then I think it may help some people with the controls. From what I've read, the controls now function like this:

A button: fire. C-stick: change weapons or aim, I can't remember. Control pad: move. X or R/L button: strafe. I don't know what B is for, or Z (probably won't be used.) but at least that "Hold R button to move" control scheme is gone.

I'll try and find that picture and the info on the controls, or am I just bringing up some old news?

Contrary to what Revolutions said, I can't get pumped up ENOUGH about this game! What's the release date again?

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
I'd imagine that if A was to fire, C-stick would change weapons; if it was used to aim, it'd be pretty tough to aim and shoot unless you used your right hand for the C-stick.

Electricmouse

Smash Ace
IGN has posted alot of new vids of the final localized version of the game. The voices aren't bad but I don't really like peppy's very much. Although I still have my doubts about he ground missions the space missions look pretty **** fun. It takes me back to awesome missions of starfox64.

sven27

Smash Cadet
ditto

ditto to that.

The intro movie reminds me of the SF64 version w/ the team running and their names being introduced. After watching the new one, I started to wonder about a few things. 1. During the intro, when they introduced the team they had written "team: StarFox, etc." This looked very similar to the images posted online of team members (including star wolf team members). This got me thinking, maybe an unlockable feature would be a new introduction, one that also mentions Star Wolf, Leon, Panther, etc.

Just a thought, but it could happen.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
i just hope that the FLYING missions will be as good as sf64. I mean running around and killing is stupid, and the landmaster is alright, but flying is what its all about.

ps: krystal should die

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
I'm not, IGN seems to really have a hatred for Nintendo much like EGM. I don't ever take their opinions or reviews into account, because most are more biased than a racist.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
I've seen very few games reviewed by IGN in which they don't ***** in almost the entire review. They nit-pick at stupid ****, stuff even a hardcore doesn't worry about.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
I'm renting the game now, and IGN and EGM were pretty on par with their assessments.

There are essentially five parts to the game's single player as in terms of gameplay:
1. On-Rails Space Shooter- what Star Fox fans have come to love
2. Open Ended Space Shooter- There's a certain level that in which you can fly everywhere, a lot like in the Rogue Squadron games; easily the most fun
3. Shooting from the Wing of a Fighter- It's on rails, but you have no control over how fast you move; you're just on the wing, shooting at enemies
4. On Foot- pretty bad controls
5. Landmaster- combine the on foot controls with an even worse scheme

I'd rate it about a 7.0 so far.

Cyrahk

Smash Journeyman
I'll be putting some small short lines about some storyline spoilers, and some things you might not want to know about before you see it yourself.

My rating 8.0 at least.

The on foot missions could use some work, however, if you play with the dual mode, you'll have much more of a good time.

Landmaster was okay, once you got used to the controls.

Arwing was as smooth as ever.

On wing levels, awesome.

Open fighter levels, great.

Just, so good.

The storyline was excellent. It was like a Starfox game...with an awesome theme...

Some spoilers below:

My overall review is good. The aparoids are an excellent foe,

SPOILERS BELOW

they off Andrew in the first mission.
not to mention, the first boss, is taken right out of SF64, in fact quite a few bosses are. This brought back all sorts of nostalgia, the music for Katina, Corneria, Fortuna, even the Star Wolf team has the same, remixed music.

Spoilers over

Wolf and his team return, Leon and Panther in tow. apparently they hate Pigma too, something about betraying them.

Pigma also plays a role, and ultimately makes the biggest revelation about the Aparoids.

SPOILERS

They can infect living beings, along with machinery, remaking the Area 6 boss, with Pigma in the midddle.

SPOILERS OVER

General Pepper and the Cornerian fleet also make the game very good. Pepper briefs you at almost every mission setting up the missions.

SPOILERS

Pepper unforuntately is infected by the Aparoids, and in a boss fight, you must kill him while he's in a mech-suit.

SPOILERS OVER

No Katt and Bill unfortunately *sobs*.

The missions are usually pretty well done, the rails are good, the ground missions were fun, and basically you'll find that the levels are very well designed, making some foot to ship changes very good.

One mission late in the game, particularly makes good of this, making smooth transitions from Arwing, to foot, to Tank, in any way what so ever.

There's also a very fun Sauria level in here as well.

I cannot make any sort of reference to the Aparoids without telling you this, they are a lot like the Zerg, hordes, hordes, and hordes of them. And if you read a previous spoiler, you know that they do another similar Zerg thing.

HUGE SPOILERS (LAST ONES)

The Aparoid Queen also makes use of those it absorbs as well, using memories of Peppy (Who is believed incapacitated at the time), ROB (Ditto), Pigma (Of course, defeated as a boss earlier), General Pepper (Incapacited) and even...yes...James McCloud.

END OF ALL SPOILERS

And I'll say one other thing. If any of you remember Tassadar's sacrifice scene in StarCraft, there is an extremely, awesome, scene that will remind you of it in StarFox.

Overall 8.5 out of Ten, because of some iffy Land Master Controls, and other small issues.

Cyrahk

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Bahamut3585
Any word on multiplayer?
****ing awesome.

My bro and a friend played it, its simple enough to play, easy to learn, and well balanced.

The sniper mode rocks, we played an awesome match on Dinosaur planet, it was mad fun, shooting guns, jumping in Arwings, The tank works too.

And it's also not completely out of balance if somebody gets a rocket launcher, while you can either stay away, or get close and **** them with an Arwing or Tank.

Its also realistic, head shots with a sniper (Sometimes anywhere) cause usual kills. Or if somebody runs over you with a tank or arwing, you're dead.

I've had a lot of fun playing it, if you set it for dual mode, ground combat is smooth, and fun.

Simpler review coming up...

IGN is full of ****.

I take back what I said.

9.0, multiplayer kicks *** now that I've played it. Set it for dual mode and everyone will be happy.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I SO WANT THIS GAME!!! When is it out in Australia?

(question about spoiler)
So does General Pepper actually die? That would explain the cheat token in SFA talking about a friend who we'll miss, or something like that.

Doom Fox

Smash Rookie
Originally posted by Zootematix
I don't know, I'm sort of worried about this game now.

IGN only gave it a 7.0 :S.
IGNorance sucks, and I played the game, it is very good, although (Spoilers) There are too much ground missions compared to air ones.

Cyrahk

Smash Journeyman
Spoilers

BTW: You can unlock Wolf by beating every mission without losing a Teammate, and you can unlock Peppy by playing 15 vs. Matches.

Its spoilered now.

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
Cyhrak, put stuff like that in a spoiler tag. I don't mind spoilers, personally, but other people do.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
the control scheme for anything ground based just killed the game for me. totally murdered it. arwing combat was nice, the arwing felt a bit less maneuverable than i remembered from starfox64, but it wasn't gamebreaking or anything. but, just the first ground level where you need to pilot that god ****ed unwieldy tank and run around on foot... ugh, me and my friends returned it to blockbusters that day (we got a hookup : p) and got mario tennis instead. if the control scheme wasn't so HORRIBLY ****ed up, i wouldn't have minded the slightly annoying ground stuff (i actually like running around as a pilot and getting that sweet rocket launcher).

but, seriously, a to change weapons and r to shoot? MAKES PERFECT SENSE, RIGHT? RIGHT?

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
This game is such a hit and miss.

Hits- Level 1, Final Boss, Corneria, Asteroid Belt level, Second half of Third Level, Orbital Gate (best by far), Ninth level

Misses- Awful on-ground control schemes, Landmaster tank (I found it almost worthless), your friends (found them almost worthless), essentially all other levels of the game, especially the second level and Sauria, repeating on-foot mission requirements (blow up X hatchers!)

Mini, mini review score: 7.0. It's fun, but short. You'll love the Arwing, but probably hate the on-foot stuff. There's a story, but you're friends are worthless (Krystal asks for your help in a level where you have no Arwing, WTF?!).

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
ok

Hmmmm. I have a quick question. Does multiplayer have computer players? I sure as heck hope it does...
to unlock the final thing in VS. mode you have to play 260 matches
and frankly that's extremely hard to do if you don't have anyone to play with.

BlueWolf25

Smash Journeyman
What in gods name do you use to tilt the Arwing!?
You hold L and press either left or right. (Don't push it all the way in or you'll roll instead.)

Does multiplayer have computer players?
No, it doesn't. I also find that incredibly annoying.

(Krystal asks for your help in a level where you have no Arwing, WTF?!)
Two, actually. The most annoying was the
Corneria
stage. She yelled for help, and all I had was my blaster and a sniper rifle. :mad:

As for my two cents, I think the single player game was mediocre, about a 6 or 7. (Too short, the on foot parts were ok, but the tank is too unwieldy to be really useful. The "destroy X number of X" got old too.) The rail levels with the Arwing are awesome, though, and the difficulty jumps up quite a bit at the different levels. Silver was very annoying in the last few stages, and I'm almost afraid to try it on gold level.

However, the multiplayer is great. I think it'll be even better when i get
the other stages, like Titania and Zoness, and other stuff like the Wolfen, cluster missiles, and other weapons.
Definately at least a 9. The lack of computers sucks though, since my friends and I only get together maybe once a week.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
What's stopping you guys from plugging in a extra controller and just letting one controller do the winning?

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
hmmmm

Because it's a LOT more fun to play against something/some one that fights back. Once a week? That's quite often.....I see one friend once a week (home church.) but here's the thing......when we have it at their house (every other week) we stay and chat forever....perfect for v-games right?...*sigh* his dad has a BIG thing against v-games.....thinking they're evil and all....and when we have churcch at my house (every other week) their family is in a big rush to go back home.....not even leaving enough time to get anything going....

As for normal friends.....the same friend is fun to invite over, but he's way too busy....and my other friend is too busy too.....*sigh*.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, here are the initial review scores for the game:

IGN - 7.0
Gamespot - 7.3
EGM - 7.3 (based on 3 reviews)
Gamedaily.com - 2.5/5
Nintendo Power - 4.2/5 (naturally on the higher scale)

I'll probably rent the game, but these scores just disapoint me. They're not terrible by any means, but even the highly controversial Star Fox adventures got 8s and 9s from the major sites and mags. Nintendo should have had a closer eye on this one. It would have been nice to see a "StarFox Collector's Disk" featuring the old games and the unreleased StarFox 2, that would have helped ease this subpar game.

Oh well. Next time, hopefully...

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
:eek: NO COMPUTER PLAYERS???

That just plain SUCKS! That leaves only the single player mode, and by what you guys are saying, it's not that fun.

Poo!

I so had my hopes up about this game. As I stated before, Nintendo needs to take more responsibility with this cool franchise, and include rubber chicken soup duels.

So should I get this or not? Is the single player sufficciant? Can I re-do the levels as many times as I like?

BlueWolf25

Smash Journeyman
So should I get this or not?
Up to you. I'm buying it for the multiplayer, which is definitely worth it, but if you don't have anyone to play it with frequently, go for a rental.

Is the single player sufficciant? Can I re-do the levels as many times as I like?
You can redo the levels whenever you want after you play through them once in story mode. Sufficient? I dunno. Bronze difficulty is a cinch, and Silver wasn't too hard, though the final levels got really annoying. (Final boss has 1 hit left, shoots me and I die. Happened 3 or 4 times. :mad: ) However, from what I've played on Gold difficulty, that is really hard. I've made it through multiple stages with only a sliver of health left, on the 3rd or 4th try.

The Gold medal requirements are insane too. I played through the Fichina and came up with about 2500 hits, but it says I need 3900 for the medal. :eek: (That was one of the stages I barely lived through.)

Anyways, if you're the type that goes after every medal and unlocks every single bonus, it'll keep you busy for awhile. Otherwise, rent it and be done.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
hmmmm

I'm still definitely getting the game, it just really ticks me off about the computer players. I even e-mailed Nintendo about it.....I got the usual (and what I expected) reply. They just told me a bunch of crap I already knew. Here's what I said:

Dear Nintendo of America,
I have not yet played Star Fox Assault, but I do plan on buying it this Valentines Day. I do have one question though about the game. How come multiplayer does not have AI controlled computers? Some people that have already rented the game have said that to unlock one of the final things in multiplayer requires that you play 260 matches of multiplayer! How does one play this many matches? I can see if you are the most popular kid on the block or live in a densely populated area (with people that like Star Fox Assault.) you could achieve this goal, but, seriously, why has Nintendo not put in AI controlled players in multiplay?

Here's what they said......Oh brother! :

Hello,

We appreciate your interest in Star Fox: Assault, which is estimated to be
released at retail on February 14. While I'd like to be of assistance, our
e-mail group's resources are focused on consumer service issues, rather than
game information. The good news is that we've devoted an abundance of
non-e-mail resources to game play information so players can find the help they
need!

One of our newest sources for game play help is our forums at
http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo. Here, we have a number of bulletin
boards/forums that allow you to post your game play questions to, as well as
participate in online chats with our Game Play Counselors. In order to use
these features of our site you must be a My Nintendo member. For more
information on a free My Nintendo membership, please click on the "My Nintendo"
link on our main page.

For additional information on where you can obtain game play assistance, please
visit the Customer Service section of our web site at www.nintendo.com (you'll
find a link to this section of our site at the bottom of our main page), and
then click on "How to get game play help." This is where you'll find various
resources that you can use when you're stuck in a particular game or are looking
for codes!

Also, if you are playing a licensee title and you don't find any information
about the game on our site, you may want to contact the company who made the
game. To find information on how to reach them, head to the Corporate section
of our web site (www.nintendo.com/corp/index.jsp), and then click on Company
Connections. Here, you'll find a list of all our current licensee companies.

Did you know that you can now register on www.nintendo.com to gain access to a
variety of special features on our web site? In just a few easy steps, you can
online world. If you choose to become a member of this exclusive community, you
can maintain a Nintendo Power subscription (update addresses, review your
account history, request a replacement issue), view the status of any order or
repair, register qualifying games and systems, or, if you get stuck in a game,
you can use the Nintendo Forums to post a question on how to proceed. The best
part about having a My Nintendo membership is that it's completely free! So
what are you waiting for? Head to our web site and sign up to begin the best
online experience you will ever have!

Nintendo of America Inc.
Andi Anderson

That's pretty lame if you ask me.....I agree with you.....a Star Fox Collectors Edition would be awesome...and would boost the general franchise.....I dunno....Nintendo might just have slit their throats on the Star Fox series.....

Cyrahk

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who likes the dual stick Ground mode controls?

Anyway, the Multiplayer is mad fun. Me and my friends were playing it, nice snipage, and its balanced enough to work well with vehicles and that nonsense.

Its nowhere near Halo, but I bet if Nintendo changed some nagging problems (Controls- Dual Mode should be default for one) it might one day be in that ballpark.

But it will still never top Halo.

BTW: Does anyone know if
Panther
Leon
, and (POSSIBLY)
Pigma
are available for Multiplayer.

Because
Wolf
kicks ***.

BlueWolf25

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who likes the dual stick Ground mode controls?
No, you aren't alone. The single stick controls work well for a game like Metroid Prime, where you can lock onto and circle enemies, but having to move and aim in seperate movements isn't very effective in this game.

BTW: Does anyone know if
Panther
Leon
, and (POSSIBLY)
Pigma
are available for Multiplayer.

Because
Wolf
kicks ***. [/B]
Wolf
and
Peppy
are the only unlockable characters, at least to my knowledge.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
Originally posted by BlueWolf25
No, you aren't alone. The single stick controls work well for a game like Metroid Prime, where you can lock onto and circle enemies, but having to move and aim in seperate movements isn't very effective in this game.

Wolf
and
Peppy
are the only unlockable characters, at least to my knowledge.
Hopefully there will be more characters.....we'll just have to wait and see.

btw
what are wolf's strengths and weaknesses?

BlueWolf25

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Mewtwo is #1
Hopefully there will be more characters.....we'll just have to wait and see.

btw
what are wolf's strengths and weaknesses?
5 stars in health, 5 stars in speed, 2 or 3 in jumping ability (can't remember, had to give the rental back), 5 in Arwing proficiency, 2 in Landmaster proficiency, and 3 as a pilot.

Did I need to spoiler that? I did anyways.

Now here's a scarey image (it's not a spoiler, I just linked to it because it's friggin' huge and would strech the page way past too much)

Since when did Fox get distemper? His teeth don't look like that in Melee.

And how come everybody's saying they've rented it already? I thought it was supposed to hit shelves on the 15th... :confused:

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
hmmmm

Originally posted by BlueWolf25
5 stars in health, 5 stars in speed, 2 or 3 in jumping ability (can't remember, had to give the rental back), 5 in Arwing proficiency, 2 in Landmaster proficiency, and 3 as a pilot.

Did I need to spoiler that? I did anyways.
Ok, what are the other characters stats, and their strengths and weaknesses?

ROFL! I can't believe you said "now here's a scary picture". A friend and I were saying the same exact thing just 2 days ago! Lol.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Originally posted by Shadow Master Mewtwo
Now here's a scarey image (it's not a spoiler, I just linked to it because it's friggin' huge and would strech the page way past too much)
um...he has uh...sharp teeth...

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by Shadow Master Mewtwo

And how come everybody's saying they've rented it already? I thought it was supposed to hit shelves on the 15th... :confused:
Through a special deal with Blockbuster and Hollywood Video, Nintendo allowed the two retailers to get early copies of the game for rental purposes. I don't think this was the best move if Nintendo was hoping to move big numbers sales-wise, because of the very nature of this game (it's just of those "rental" games, due to its short length and mediocrity). People will rent it early to play it early, become frustrated with it, and never buy the game (driving off a big chunk of the market: impulse-buyers). Additionally, the 2 weeks will give sites and magazines extra time to review it, sending the scores out there well before the game hits shelves, giving consumers more time to read up on it and become discouraged.

However, at least this time a Nintendo game will get poor sales because it deserved them.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
hmmmmm

I hate to say it, but Nintendo might just have very well cut their throat on the Star Fox franchise......Don't get me wrong though, I love the Star Fox series....but their actions seems foolish.

Top Bottom