• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Fox Assault

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Star Fox returns Fox McCloud to his space ace roots in this classic aerial shooter reminiscent of the beloved Star Fox 64. Get ready for an unforgettable romp through the galaxy.

Info

Full title: Star Fox Assult

Publisher: Nintendo

Developer: Nintendo/Namco

Genre: Shoot'em up

Release Date:
[US] Feb 15, 2005
[EU] Mar, 2005
[JP] Feb 25, 2005

Number of Players: 1-4

Memory Card usage: N/A

ESRB Rating: RP

Price: $49.99

Official website: N/A

Boxart:

Features:
  • Soar through space and attack an armada of strike fighters in your Arwing
  • Roll over hostile terrain in a heavily-armored Landmaster Tank, or bring the hurt to the enemy on foot
  • Play missions solo, join the fight with up to three other players, or engage in four-player split screen battles
  • Play wingman to another player, riding on the wing of the Arwing or side of the Landmaster Tank, and blast enemies while the pilot controls the vehicle
  • Powerful weapons including automatic blasters, sniper rifles, and shoulder-launched rockets

Story:
Several years after disaster was narrowly averted on Dinosaur Planet, Lylat Central Command detects a new threat spreading throughout the galaxy.

The Star Fox team is sent in to eradicate this growing menace, but what begins as a standard combat mission quickly takes a dramatic turn. Legendary team members Fox McCloud, Slippy Toad, Peppy Hare, and Falco Lombardi join forces to form the most formidable team in the history of this celebrated series: the Star Fox Armada!

Trailers and Moives

Screenshots and Wallpapers

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
Fox does NOT look detailed in the gameplay screenshots, it looks like a N64 game...("ITA 30% DONA U BONEHEAD" Ya and?Those screens still look like a N64 game!)I'm sure Nintendo/Namco will do just fine with this game, it would have even be better if Treasure helped on this game!

Seems like Star Fox Armada is far away from us, oh well there's a lot of other games coming out first but i'll definately keep an eye on this one, for I believe that this will be the first true Star Fox game on Nintendo Gamecube.

*awaits more info*

Chibi Seph

Smash Apprentice
Hmm Ive heard of this game for a while now, but didnt really investigate it that much as not much info was given about it (at the time, not even screens). Hmm I think it has real potential considering its only 30% done. So you say its a co op, is that in arwings, or land based missions? Both?
But personally I think they shouldve stuck with the Arwing. I didnt really like the idea of SFAdventures, as it was too much like OoT, and didnt offer much of a challenge. Im guessing that the co op is in fact land based because Crystal doesnt have an Arwing :p
But all in all I think Ill still keep an eye out for this game.

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
Krystal must die. So must SFA. I hated it's ending.. it was terrible =/

ANYWAY.

Some of that artwork...Fox, and the Arwings...MAN were they cool! I have they use those models for the game! Gah! So incredibly cool! Gah×2!

Oh yeah, did I mention that, I HOPE KRYSTAL DIES! I would like to see the return of Katt though :p

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
In one of the trailers you see Krystal in an Arwing.

But I think it would be co-op in the entire maingame, land or air.

Though I completely agree!

A StarFox game should only be on land in multiplayer mode.

Another new feature is that you can step out of your Arwaing/LMTank and shoot with your gun while standing on the wing, obvious you can't control the arwing when outside, so you have to get in before crashing into that mountain ;)

I haven't really decided wether the "out-of-vehicle" feature is a good or bad thing. I need more info.

Edit: I share your exact feelings about this Fantasia. I hope Katt kills Krystal only to replace her :). Give me a time machine and the first thing I would do is to travel back and anihilate everything SFA related.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm definitely not digging the fact that Krystal is in the game. Not only is she annoying, but that also means that they're counting Starfox Adventures as part of the series when it should never have even happened in the first place!

The gameplay looks like they're trying a Jet-Force Gemini kind of approach with flight/tank stuff mixed in, which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. From what I've seen in the actual footage, the game looks pretty ugly, from graphics and a gameplay perspective. But hey, a lot could change.

They probably shouldn't have shown it, but as it's supposed to come out this year in Japan, I guess they needed to produce something. It's really been a pattern with these games for the most part, though, which is why I think the big N is holding off from Spaceworld and showing other stuff earlier, because of the public's harsh reactions ("Celda" ring a bell?) to a game they know so little about.

I heard that Shigero Miyamoto was actually planning to show Super Mario 128 at E3 but didn't because he felt the public would criticize the game in it's early stages.

Anyway, on Starfox, I was hoping that they'd return to the roots of the series but it looks as if they're plugging on ahead, especially with the inclusion of Krystal (if Andross is alive again then that would be ********). Ah well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things turn out.

I'm really hoping they don't screw this game up. Really hoping, because the Starfox franchise is, no, WAS, awesome and I want it to be that way again.

P.S. What happened to Peppy? Did he die or something?

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Ditto to everything you just said Giygas.

When I first heard that Star Fox armada would follow the old Star Fox style, I jumped for joy.

But now I see no reasons for mixing the game with elements from a totally different game. Yes leave a reference about SFA, so it wont feel like "lets just ignore this game and live forever in denial". But please don't drag in characters such as Krystal and the rumored Tric-break-my-legs-ky.

Peppy will be in the game, though in arwing or inside Great Fox is unconfirmed.

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
Anyone else notice that Fox is becoming more and more homosexual as the series progresses? I mean, Starfox and Starfox 64 were ok. Then in SFA Fox sounded pretty gay--now, in SF2... I mean, man. They have to SHOOT their current voice actor.

The game itself looks alright, although I don't really like the look of the ground based action. It doesn't seem all that great. I WILL check it out, however.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Maybe it's just because I've played the game so much, but in SF64 I thought that all the voices just matched the characters perfectly.

Fox's voice in SFA was teenish, renegade like, totally out of character. That is not how Fox is supposed to be.

I've heard the voice in the trailer... well I thought that it was so bad that must be some random voice that they just chose for the trailer. Hopefully it wont be like that in the game.

Bowser87

Smash Lord
Well it doesn't look like it's going to top Starfox 64. I'm happy everyone hates Krystal. I fell out of my chair when I saw her in a Starfox Armada screenshot! I mean, what's she doing there? Kat would be all right, but not Krystal! Never! The only thing Nintendo can do to compensate would be to put Bill and Star Wolf in it! And maybe Andross, why not? Also, I'm wondering...There will be missions in the Arwing, the Landmaster (tank), and on foot, but what about the Blue Marine (Submarine)? I sure hope this one returns as well.

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
Originally posted by Bowser87
I'm happy everyone hates Krystal. I fell out of my chair when I saw her in a Starfox Armada screenshot! I mean, what's she doing there? Kat would be all right, but not Krystal! Never! The only thing Nintendo can do to compensate would be to put Bill and Star Wolf in it! And maybe Andross, why not?
That is soo true.

I was crushed when I saw her in the game. It was like... WTH are they doing to the SF series?! Katt and Bill should DEFINANTLY replace Krystal, ugh. Krystal is such a dirtbag.

Die!

On to the vioces. I personally thought the voice was good. I would like it to be more like SF64 though. I hated SFA's voices. -_-

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
This game looks OK, seeing that it's no where near done. It could get better with a lot of work. I just hope that the 1-player mode and multiplayer modes are cool. It would be sweet tho to be standing on the wing with a bazooka shooting flying

Well we could always hope *sigh*

I hated Krystal so much... that annoying Dino laguage. I can just hear her annoying irritating voice over and over

SFA was an ok game. but SF64 was way better. Especially the voice acting

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
I agree with MK on the voice thing, Fox lost a lot of his "calm and in-control leader" and definitely took a turn for the worse with his smart-arse attitude in SFA. And yes, the Starfox 2 voice seems to have goteen even gayer. "Starfox is back!" *shudders* It just seems, well, kiddie, especially when compared to the Starfox 64 voice which kicked arse.

gareths23

Smash Apprentice
Death to Krystal!

Here's some info from www.gamesdomain.com:
The story begins a few years after the events on Dinosaur Planet. A new threat has arisen in the solar system and the Lylat Central Command has sent in the only people with the ability to stop it, Team Star Fox. Besides classic members like Fox McCloud, Slippy Toad, Peppy Hare, and Falco Lombardi, players will be able to control a couple of new members added to the team.

The single-player missions are unlike any previous Star Fox title. Players will be able to decide whether to proceed on foot, take the enemy out with in their Airwing spaceships, or mount a massive ground assault with Landmaster tanks. Besides the single-player mode, gamers can engage in co-operative missions. The audience will be able to select from two types of co-op play. The first features a split-screen in which each person controls their own vehicle. Alternately, one can select to engage in the "wingman" co-operative style, where one person drives either the Landmaster or Airwing and the other player, the "wingman," controls the vehicle's fire. If playing nice isn't up your alley, up to four gamers can compete in several different deathmatch arenas.

for the rest. You have to read it though, it sounds awsome! New Members huh? who could they be? *cough* Krystal! *cough*
God, though, I HATE it when games go too far into the future!
How old is Peppy now? He's about 65 yeahs old now! That means he may die soon. ah well, my posts long enough now. bye

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
Correction to my post above. You CAN stand on the Arwing and shoot while flying!

Now as for the voice... when "Fox" was talking about the game, I could have sworn it was Tricky from SFA... or maybe my ears are clogged

Phillip Chanter

BRoomer
BRoomer
I might get flogged for saying this...

I sorta like Krystal, mainly because during SFA I didn't play her as much, so I'm willing to give her a chance (She's 10x better than that klutz Slippy, how did he ever become a pilot?!) Anywho SFA did have some pros and cons, but I'm willing to give Starfox 2 a chance, and since it's only 30% done... we should see some good stuff during the next few months.

What would make this great is if there was lots of unlockables for playing, hidden characters would be grand, and hidden missions would also make it more enjoyable to play. :shyguy: :beezo:

pokemonmaster01

BRoomer
BRoomer
I liked krystal(though a love interest in any game just fires-up my teenage hormones, so I'm bound to like it). And I understand miyamoto's purpose for SFA being as it was, he was just sharpening his skills for the new zelda game and also reviving the public's interest in starfox while drawing in the rpg crowd. And he wouldn't loose the hard-core fans (like myself) because they would disreguard SFA as a real inclusion in the series and treat it more as the official fan-fic for what starfox was doing in between games or some-such like that.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Flog him, Flog him!

God, i hate Krystal. I didnt even finish the game, and I hate her. God, i hope she burns in ****...

the game i dont think looks too bad, might be sortof fun going through the levels on foot, since that was what I wanted to do in SF 64. Then again, I was around 6.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
I have never seen someone ***** and moan so much this early...

Oh, wait I think of someone his name was Kereokakola. This same member *****ed and moaned about horrible "Celda" was. I'm sure most of you found out how great The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker actually was. It's way too **** early to make any judgements at all! Any at all! Shame on you MK, SHAME on you!

And on a personal note, some of you Star Fox fans are sick. Some of you like only one game in the series and find everything else to be a shame on life or a disgrace to the series. How about you stop giving a **** about stupid crap like the fact Krystal is in the game and worry about more important things in Star Fox, like the missions.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Well, i for one think this game looks like it's gonna be good. Look at it this way; at least it CAN'T be worse than SFA... As far as Krystal goes, leave her in or take her out, i don't care, just drop that frickin' annoying Jamacian accent (not sure if i spelled that right, but frankly, i don't give a...). Seriously, i've noticed a trend here lately; everyone makes their snap judgements about games before they even play them or in some cases even see much of them. It's really getting kinda old. I mean, it's one thing to say "If this happens, then the game could prossibly suck" but its crossing the line to constantly say "Because i saw this, it automatically means the game will suck". Seriously folks, leave room to be wrong about a game.
Oh, and for the record, and since someone mentioned it as an example, i played WW all the way through, and i was unimpressed and still hold that the Cell-Shadding look and, more importantly, feel should not have been or ever again be used for Zelda. My only relevant point to that (Besides that pie is good) is that i played it before i made that decision.
Anyway, i'm done rantin' at ya'll, so back to the topic; the game looks good to me. End of Point. :D
That's my two centage for the topicage... :cool:

Bowser87

Smash Lord
http://mediaviewer.ign.com/ignMedia...cube&pagetype=medialist&page_title=Star+Fox+2

There's 2 new trailers available! We can see some more 2 player action, and, well, there's Krystal inside an Arwing, which might mean, sadly, that she'll have a role to play in some missions. I thought she'd only be in Multiplayer, but it seems not.
We could also see Fox in the Landmaster, the Arwing and on foot, but it seems the Blue Marine won't be in this one. Too bad.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Do we know if there will be a save feature on this? Finally, the best parts of both Star Fox games are combined: the shooting from StarFox and the walking from StarFox Adventures. Hopefully, no helping stupid dinosaurs.

Chibi Seph

Smash Apprentice
I dont think there will be any helpign dinosaurs, as the game isnt based on the dinosaurs planet (wow I forgot what the planet's called) at least I sure hope not as that would be pretty lame

shadowhuntr000

Smash Lord
Personally, it all sounds breat, including shooting on the wing. But what would be awesome is one foot, not only using the bazooka, but having a first person target and auto-target system with Fox's blaster. And you could like pick up machine guns and sniper rifles. I hated that stupid bazooka. And some missions would require stealth. Fox could like make stealth assasinations. Or in the Arwing, you could fire missiles, not bombs, and you could go into all-range mode a lot more often. Of course, I think the blaster use and targeting systems are all residual paranoia of beating the Getaway. I loved that game. But this is Starfox, so I'd like to say that Kat and Bill should be in it, Starwolf, no Andross, and definitly not Krystal. She can go and jump off a cliff and into rocks, for all I care.

Word.

Ice_Climbers2

BRoomer
BRoomer
It sounds like a lot of people don't want Andross in this game. If he wasn't in the game, wouldn't it feel like something's missing? After all, he's basicly the Bowser of Star Fox games; it wouldn't be SF without him....or would it? Andross has been in every game so far (in one form or another). Maybe there could be a new final boss with some sort of blood connection to him (just so the last boss would be monkey-like). Just a personal opinion. If not a standered shoot-the-face boss, the final baddie to beat could be you taking on just Wolf or something like that. Just a one-on-one dog fight to wrap up the game. That could be interesting.

...just trying to stimulate a different subject other than Krystal...although I hate her too...

pokemonmaster01

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm gonna be pissed if andross is in this one. In SFA he was not so much as intimidating he was nostalgic. It was like "oh, it's you again. Oh boy". And they were just using the whole "general scales" thing to BS you through the game. You never even got to fight the dude. You spend the game wanting to beat the **** out of the guy and never get your chance!

Bowser87

Smash Lord
shadowhuntr000, what you're saying is that Starfox should basically become a part 1st person shooter? There's already plenty of these games, I mean, Starfox is a Shooter, not a 1st person, and that's what it should always be. It's ok if you go on foot sometimes (The thing is, you ALWAYS will have the choice), but copying off all the other 1st person shooters would just be non-Starfox.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
seriously, ya'll, Krystal wasn't that bad. She just needs more character develpment. They basicly made her a chick who Fox has to save cause he thinks she's hott. :p

I also don't want Andross as the final boss... at least not in the same way. Like, maybe he could take over the body of some goodguy (Peppy? XD), and then you have to fight him... in that body... XD That'd be cool.

I also hope that we learn about mysterious info or something about Krystal's past. ^.^ I also hope she's not a whimp... GIRLS ARE ALWAYS FREAKING WHIMPS IN GAMES, DARN IT!!!! I mean, Metroid! That's ONE game where a girl isn't some worthless biotch! ~.~'

Whoo, yeah, anyways, I really hope this game turns out good! ^.^

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by shadowhuntr000
Personally, it all sounds breat, including shooting on the wing. But what would be awesome is one foot, not only using the bazooka, but having a first person target and auto-target system with Fox's blaster. And you could like pick up machine guns and sniper rifles. I hated that stupid bazooka. And some missions would require stealth. Fox could like make stealth assasinations. Or in the Arwing, you could fire missiles, not bombs, and you could go into all-range mode a lot more often. Of course, I think the blaster use and targeting systems are all residual paranoia of beating the Getaway. I loved that game. But this is Starfox, so I'd like to say that Kat and Bill should be in it, Starwolf, no Andross, and definitly not Krystal. She can go and jump off a cliff and into rocks, for all I care.

Word.
I'm pretty sure I saw a sniper rifle, and a bunch of other guns to.

I still think Star Fox sounds like Tricky

pokemonmaster01

BRoomer
BRoomer
You people just don't like krystal because you are afraid of change (or girls!). C'mon, don't just piss and moan, make the best of it. Either get into it, or get over it.

And we are definately in need of a new final boss. Nintendo can't get over their same major formula. In zelda, it's understandable- that's part of the legend. In mario- well, mario was nonsense from the beginning, that's what makes it what it is. But starfox has no excuse- it needs a makeover.

Kid Icarus

Angel Guard
BRoomer
Just let me say that I am not passing judgments about the game, I'm simply stating facts about its current state.

The game looks pretty awful. The graphics appear horrible in the screens.

In addition, why is foot based battle emphasized so much!!! Star Fox should be kept strictly FLYING. If Nintendo wants to make a foot based battle, hand it over to the Kirby license or something. Not Star Fox.

Krystal is lame. She starts off in some local tribe, now she can fly and Arwing? Meh, she should have dissolved with Star Fox Adventures.

And PLEASE Namco, give the game the "Armada" subtitle and hook us up with LOTS of co-op missions....

Magus

Lone Wolf
BRoomer
Looks like another Nintendo franchise has gone down the drain (Pokemon, Donkey Kong). I think it's safe to say where my money won't be going this year.

Oh well; as long as they keep F-Zero, Mario, Metroid, and Zelda going, I'll be happy.

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
Yeesh, what is all your problems with Krystal? Shes a 128 bit vixen on your TELEVISION. Your moaning over a pixel. Jeez. There ain't anything wrong with her either...

The game, I agree looks pretty bad. But give it a CHANCE! Its only 30% into the making right now!

By the way, for future reference, Fox is voiced by the same guy who ALWAYS does his voice, Steve Malpiss.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Re: I have never seen someone ***** and moan so much this early...

Originally posted by Misto-Roboto
Oh, wait I think of someone his name was Kereokakola. This same member *****ed and moaned about horrible "Celda" was. I'm sure most of you found out how great The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker actually was. It's way too **** early to make any judgements at all! Any at all! Shame on you MK, SHAME on you!
lol yeah you are correct. But still...

I really liked enoyed the SNES version and the 64 version even more.

However SFA didn't live up to it's name imo.

I see the problem as they blend elements from a good part together with a bad part. But yes this is judgement that is quite unfair, but I can't help it since I can't control my inner Fanboyism ;)

Though I certainly do not think this game will be bad, I have high hopes for and I do believe it will be able to kick off StarFox 64 from the throne. There are just some things I don't like seeing right now, but they can obviously turn out great.

Ice_Climbers2

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by sharkboy013
By the way, for future reference, Fox is voiced by the same guy who ALWAYS does his voice, Steve Malpiss.
Whoah, are you serious? Same guy for SFA too? That's pretty crazy since it does seem a little different, especially the SF 2 trailer. Hmmm...

Super BASH Bro

Smash Rookie
Have you guys seen how you can land your arwing and get into a landmaster at ign.com? You can also have your guy stand on the arwing to shoot enemies! :D

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
Originally posted by Ice_Climbers2
Whoah, are you serious? Same guy for SFA too? That's pretty crazy since it does seem a little different, especially the SF 2 trailer. Hmmm...
Lets say I get bored easy. So I checked the credits after I quickly beat SFA, and Steve's name was next to it. And he does it in SSBM too.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
I'm getting this, I don't see what's your problem. But StarFox 2? I want the Armada name returned! 2 was supposed to be for the SNES, unless they're bringing that female character to the GameCube. And personally, I like the on-ground idea.

Top Bottom