• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Thank you everyone for your lists! I will be featuring everyone who commented in this weeks WiR! As there are a lot of suggestions, I will not be counting up the scores but I will be looking for stages that were suggested more than once as well as editor picked stages. As I am writing the lists now, I will not be accepting any more top 10s.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I am at least 90% certain that the 3DS Kirby stage will be pulled directly from Kirby Fighters.

I hope it's Coo's Forest.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
One thing I would like would be all the returning Melee stages from Brawl returning in this game. It just wouldn't feel right to have Smash without classics like Temple, Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, Yoshi's Island, Big Blue, Onett...

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
One thing I would like would be all the returning Melee stages from Brawl returning in this game. It just wouldn't feel right to have Smash without classics like Temple, Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, Yoshi's Island, Big Blue, Onett...
I can see where you are coming from but honestly I found a lot of those places lost their charm in their brawl incarnation. In particular I loved Temple in melee but found it intolerable in brawl. I'd rather see some other classic stages from those franchises, including Hyrule Castle and Brinstar Depths.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I can see where you are coming from but honestly I found a lot of those places lost their charm in their brawl incarnation. In particular I loved Temple in melee but found it intolerable in brawl. I'd rather see some other classic stages from those franchises, including Hyrule Castle and Brinstar Depths.
Brinstar didn't lose an ounce of the charm.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Brinstar didn't lose an ounce of the charm.
Fair, but I liked Brinstar Depths more than Brinstar in Melee anyways. :p I'd be very happy if Onett was confirmed, and the DK stage in Smash 64. Those are the ones I look forward to the most.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Stages I think should return, separated by game:

N64
Congo Jungle
Dreamland
Hyrule Castle
Meta Crystal
Mushroom Kingdom
Peach's Castle
Yoshi's Island

Melee
Brinstar
Corneria
Fountain of Dreams
Icicle Mountain
Kongo Jungle
Majora's Mask
Mute City
Onett
Poke Flotes
Pokemon Stadium
Rainbow Cruise

Brawl
Summit
Warioware Inc

I will explain any of my decisions upon request so ask away if something seems odd or off.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Stages I think should return, separated by game:

N64
Congo Jungle
Dreamland
Hyrule Castle
Meta Crystal
Mushroom Kingdom
Peach's Castle
Yoshi's Island

Melee
Brinstar
Corneria
Fountain of Dreams
Icicle Mountain
Kongo Jungle
Majora's Mask
Mute City
Onett
Poke Flotes
Pokemon Stadium
Rainbow Cruise

Brawl
Summit
Warioware Inc

I will explain any of my decisions upon request so ask away if something seems odd or off.
Doubt most of 'em will make it in, unless they get renovated with new HD updates in graphics.

There's also other Brawl stages that would transition well, such as The Pirate Ship, Luigi's Mansion, Lylat Cruise, etc.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
There's also other Brawl stages that would transition well, such as The Pirate Ship, Luigi's Mansion, Lylat Cruise, etc.
Two terrible stages and one that's just boring and uninspired.

The Pirate Ship would be improved by a lack of swimming but still has a lot of needless chaos going on that kills players in really annoying ways and is simply awful to play on.

Luigi's Mansion tends to end up a stall fest, with each player only wanting to fight when their particular preference for its structure is in play or at the edges where they can attempt to set up an easy edgeguard. Even in casual play, it isn't fun and the inability to see inside the unoccupied house really doesn't help.
Seeing the Luigi's Mansion games get some love in this form would be good but please, make it a new stage.

Lylat Cruise represents nothing specific from the Starfox series at all and is simply a less interesting version of Venom which is, in turn, a more campy and annoying version of Corneria/Sector Z. The latter also has a better view of incoming hazards. There is no reason to have more than one of those stages and, while the tournament scene may prefer Lylat Cruise, it is far from being the better stage and is simply awful at franchise representation.
Corneria wins over Sector Z due to having a more notable setting that represents more than just the N64 incarnation of the series.

The only stage from Brawl not on my list that I could see an argument for is Smashville, which has clearly been replaced with Town and City and would thus be thematically redundant, despite being somewhat less gimmicky than its modern counterpart.

Last edited:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero

The Pirate Ship would be improved by a lack of swimming but still has a lot of needless chaos going on that kills players in really annoying ways and is simply awful to play on.

Luigi's Mansion tends to end up a stall fest, with each player only wanting to fight when their particular preference for its structure is in play or at the edges where they can attempt to set up an easy edgeguard. Even in casual play, it isn't fun and the inability to see inside the unoccupied house really doesn't help.
Seeing the Luigi's Mansion games get some love in this form would be good but please, make it a new stage.

Lylat Cruise represents nothing specific from the Starfox series at all and is simply a less interesting version of Venom which is, in turn, a more campy and annoying version of Corneria/Sector Z. The latter also has a better view of incoming hazards. There is no reason to have more than one of those stages and, while the tournament scene may prefer Lylat Cruise, it is far from being the better stage and is simply awful at franchise representation.
Corneria wins over Sector Z due to having a more notable setting that represents more than just the N64 incarnation of the series.

The only stage from Brawl not on my list that I could see an argument for is Smashville, which has clearly been replaced with Town and City and would thus be thematically redundant, despite being somewhat less gimmicky than its modern counterpart.
To each their own.

I've barely played any Star Fox, so I couldn't tell you what new stage would be best. but I still thought it was exciting Lylat Cruise took place on top of a spaceship in the midst of a dogfight in space.

I can agree with your opinion on Luigi's Mansion.

As for The Pirate Ship, that's what makes the overworld of Wind Waker memorable. Taking the hazards away would make the stage feel like a simulator experience of a regular yacht sailing in a regular ocean with calm weather. Not a very exciting condition in the context of a Smash Bros. stage.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I think Delfino Plaza would be a good returning Brawl stage. I generally enjoy the stage, but that may be because of my love for Super Mario Sunshine.

And can we please have a Star Fox stage that's set on an actual planet for once? Or at least a space station?

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I think Delfino Plaza would be a good returning Brawl stage. I generally enjoy the stage, but that may be because of my love for Super Mario Sunshine.

And can we please have a Star Fox stage that's set on an actual planet for once? Or at least a space station?

The Great Fox says sorry he came back. :troll:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
As for The Pirate Ship, that's what makes the overworld of Wind Waker memorable. Taking the hazards away would make the stage feel like a simulator experience of a regular yacht sailing in a regular ocean with calm weather. Not a very exciting condition in the context of a Smash Bros. stage.
I agree that it's an iconic part of the game and I understand where you're coming from with the hazards but I take no issue with the weather. My issue is with the boat based traps that are far too strong, not hugely obvious and seemingly random. If the stage could focus more on locations and weather and less on the platforms the players fight on I would probably be far more happy with it.

Most of the sections of Delphino Plaza were pretty good. The only thing I disliked was the transition method. Maybe it was just me but I wasn't hugely happy with how little it seemed to fit.

As for Star Fox, Assault's Zoness base would be quite fitting and so would Titania. They're unlikely to give us a non-ship stage on either console though and we can already rule out having one on both after that PotD I think.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

:I Pirate Ship's one of the best and less gimmicky Brawl stages, the only real hazards are the cannonballs and they don't even do that much damage! It's extremely cool and the part where the tornado lifts the ship up and it goes into the air and above the clouds IS JUST AMAZING, that's how an atmospheric stage should be...

I agree with Luigi's Mansion not being that good, but it's not terrible either.

But the Brawl stage I would love the most to return would be Spear Pillar :c So iconic...

And Brinstar was always better than Depths...Depths was just...gimmicky without anything really interesting happening, while the battle shifting to the domination of the upper platform on Brinstar feels pretty exciting.

Last edited:

Periwinkle

Smash Apprentice
Kinda jumping into the conversation out of left field, but I'm curious: how confident are you guys that the Wii U version of Smash will actually feature Melee stages? I mean, it's already been established that either versions of the game will have different stage rosters, and correct me if I'm wrong, but so far, we've seen Melee stages only in 3DS screenshots. It makes me wonder if, potentially due to graphical limitations, Melee stages will appear exclusively on the 3DS, since they're much less visually intensive than Brawl or Wii U ones.

Not trying to be skeptical or anything, since I really want to see Melee stages brought to the Wii U, especially Brinstar. :troll:

Also, on a related note, in terms of past stages, Brawl only had Melee ones, but since we know 3DS Smash will have both Brawl and Melee stages, do you think they'll go the next step and bring in some N64 ones as well?

Last edited:

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
:c And Brinstar was always better than Depths...Depths was just...gimmicky without anything really interesting happening, while the battle shifting to the domination of the upper platform on Brinstar feels pretty exciting.
Brinstar Depths was always my favorite Metroid stage; the fights I had on there always got really intense and more desperate as the stage started to shift right in the heat of battle. The stage itself had a really cool dark, moody atmosphere and an awesome song. I've always wanted it to return (along with Fourside!), but I'm not getting my hopes up.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Kinda jumping into the conversation out of left field, but I'm curious: how confident are you guys that the Wii U version of Smash will actually feature Melee stages? I mean, it's already been established that either versions of the game will have different stage rosters, and correct me if I'm wrong, but so far, we've seen only Melee stages in 3DS screenshots. It makes me wonder if, potentially due to graphical limitations, Melee stages will appear exclusively on the 3DS, since they're much less visually intensive than Brawl or Wii U ones.

Not trying to be skeptical or anything, since I really want to see Melee stages brought to the Wii U, especially Brinstar. :troll:

Also, on a related note, in terms of past stages, Brawl only had Melee ones, but since we know 3DS Smash will have both Brawl and Melee stages, do you think they'll go the next step and bring in some N64 ones as well?
They have the space to do so now, 25GB of power! I really hope they bring Pirate Ship, Brinstar, Spear Pillar and Rainbow Cruise back.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
We've all grown accustomed to each Smash installments reviving stages from their predecessor games. Some, great. Some, not so great. (Looking at you, Brinstar)

What Brawl stages, if any, do you think should make an appearance in Smash 4?

Is personally like to see Delfino Plaza, Yoshi's Island, and Pirate Ship return.

Feel free to tell me what you think, why I'm an idiot, as well as why 75m is the greatest Smash stage to date.

D

Deleted member

I'd like to see Delfino as well. However, my most wanted Brawl stage has to be PictoChat, but only if it's on the 3DS version.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I just want a viable Mother Stage.

New Pork City done in a Delfino Plaza-esc manner would be awesome. You start the fight on top of the flying limo which proceeds to travel throughout the city stopping a certain locations like on top of the tower or at the Pig King statue.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Just kidding. I mean Halberd is returning so it's not farfetched to think others are too.
If I remember correctly, Green Hill Zone was on 3DS in one of the press release pictures.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I just want a viable Mother Stage.

New Pork City done in a Delfino Plaza-esc manner would be awesome. You start the fight on top of the flying limo which proceeds to travel throughout the city stopping a certain locations like on top of the tower or at the Pig King statue.
I doubt they're going to completely revamp a stage they've already visited in Brawl. Especially when there's other viable places they haven't used in the Mother series.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I really want Pirate Ship to return because I thought it was a unique stage and Wind Waker was such a great game. However, I know in that one 3DS stage you just sink in the water and can't swim. I hope they bring back swimming on some stages. Super Mario Sunshine was one of my favorite games ever, so I really want Delfino Plaza back as well. I was so excited to see that stage in Brawl. I do like The Bridge of Eldin solely for the Twilight Princess representation. I enjoyed a few more as well (The Summit, Distant Planet, Norfair, etc) but I really really want my two Melee stages back, Temple and Corneria.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
A few will return, just as Melee stages returned for Brawl.

I'd like to see PictoChat, New Pork City, and Luigi's Mansion.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I really want Pirate Ship to return because I thought it was a unique stage and Wind Waker was such a great game. However, I know in that one 3DS stage you just sink in the water and can't swim. I hope they bring back swimming on some stages. Super Mario Sunshine was one of my favorite games ever, so I really want Delfino Plaza back as well. I was so excited to see that stage in Brawl. I do like The Bridge of Eldin solely for the Twilight Princess representation. I enjoyed a few more as well (The Summit, Distant Planet, Norfair, etc) but I really really want my two Melee stages back, Temple and Corneria.
We have a similar taste in games, my friend.
A few will return, just as Melee stages returned for Brawl.

I'd like to see PictoChat, New Pork City, and Luigi's Mansion.
New Pork was awesome because Mother 3, but I personally thought the layout was awful.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
We have a similar taste in games, my friend.

New Pork was awesome because Mother 3, but I personally thought the layout was awful.
Honestly, I'm just hoping for a Mother stage in some form. :(

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
:I Pirate Ship's one of the best and less gimmicky Brawl stages, the only real hazards are the cannonballs and they don't even do that much damage! It's extremely cool and the part where the tornado lifts the ship up and it goes into the air and above the clouds IS JUST AMAZING, that's how an atmospheric stage should be...

I agree with Luigi's Mansion not being that good, but it's not terrible either.

But the Brawl stage I would love the most to return would be Spear Pillar :c So iconic...

And Brinstar was always better than Depths...Depths was just...gimmicky without anything really interesting happening, while the battle shifting to the domination of the upper platform on Brinstar feels pretty exciting.
So Pirate Ship's catapult randomly KOing folks or tossing them into the (now ineffectual) water was not a significant hazard?
I like the stage as a concept but would definitely be against it returning with only a water mechanic change. It needs work to be good.

Depths I actually rather liked but it seems silly to return two stages that similarly named and similar in location and Brinstar is by far the best Metroid stage in the series in terms of gameplay. As you say, the full stage fight suddenly shifting to a battle for the small upper safe zone was a great idea that I guess they tried to revisit with Norfair but overdid big time, ruining it.
Brinstar got the balance right.

Spear Pillar Was not something I personally enjoyed and nor was it something I could see merit in. Should we see the return of a gimmicky pokemon stage, I would much rather see Poke Floats but, since they're not really mutually exclusive like some other stages, I see no reason we couldn't both get our wish.

Raijinken

Smash Master
From 64, Hyrule, Dreamland, and Mushroom Kingdom

From Melee, Temple, Fountain of Dreams, and I guess we're already getting Jungle Japes.

From Brawl, Norfair, Pictochat, and Smashville.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Halberd was my top pick, so I'm happy it's back. Yoshi's Island and perhaps Frigate Orpheon would be cool too.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Town and City kind of has the same layout as Smashville, or else I'd be all over it.
I thought so at first, but since it has the platforms that move on and off screen, it plays pretty differently, looking at it. Smashville was about the most boring "neutral" stage for Brawl that I could stand playing on frequently, since it had just enough interesting going on.

Top Bottom