• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I think we can agree to differ on that one. I vastly prefer, say, Brinstar Depth's implementation to Spear Pillar's and find the stupid lasers in stages like it and Halberd annoying and unnecessary.

When I play Brawl, I tend to have most stages turned off because they simply aren't fun to play on like Melee's and 64's.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I'm thinking here if we will have another Zelda stage on the Wii U version since in 3DS we already have two... it will be Wind Waker themed maybe?

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I think we can agree to differ on that one. I vastly prefer, say, Brinstar Depth's implementation to Spear Pillar's and find the stupid lasers in stages like it and Halberd annoying and unnecessary.

When I play Brawl, I tend to have most stages turned off because they simply aren't fun to play on like Melee's and 64's.
Spear Pillar is the best thing ever, and the lasers aren't stupid, they're cool.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Spear Pillar is the best thing ever, and the lasers aren't stupid, they're cool.
I loved Spear Pillar SO MUCH! It was fun to force people to get in the lasers, but I understand the point of the competitive scene here, but still, it's a very fun stage. All my friends hates when Palkia was the pokémon (and the nightmare of them is returning as pokéball this time LOL).

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I agree with the opinion on Spear Pillar being one of Brawl's worst stages. I was so hyped to find out there was a Spear Pillar stage in the game, but when I finally played on it, I wasn't impressed. Now, I'm a "competitive player" if you want to use that terminology, but that doesn't mean I only play on tournament neutral stages when I'm playing with my more casual friends. Pretty much all of us hate playing on that stage. The vertically-divided layout makes camping and chasing frustratingly inevitable, and you'll never know if you're going to get the mostly passive and manageable Dialga, or the extremely annoying Palkia or Cresselia. Cresselia is by far the worst. Like the Yellow Devil in Wily's Castle, it attacks far too often, and disrupts the match with its stage-wide "boomerang" attack on a near constant basis. There's no breathing room on that little boxed-in stage. It's too cramped and full of too many frequent hazards.

Last edited:

CaptainSyrup

Smash Rookie
Greetings, dudes and dudettes. This is my first post. I've been lurking around these parts for a while, but somehow, I felt the need to finally come out of my shell - especially since a few days ago, an idea for a SSB4 stage popped up in my mind, and I'd really like to hear the opinion of my fellow smashers on it.

As you can probably probably tell by my avatar picture and username, I'm a big fan of the Wario Land series. Now, while I generally liked Brawl as a game, I felt a bit bothered by the lack of presentation this classic (and, excuse my fangirl-ism, absolutely kickass) franchise received in the last iteration of Smash. Of course, this could be easily rectified by simply overhauling Wario's moveset in a major way in order to strike a balance between his Wario Land and WarioWare appearances (by giving him the Jet Pot, the Shoulder Charge etc. as special moves, for instance); however, since a lot of people have grown quite attached to Sakurai's interpretation of the character, I can't help thinking that this is somewhat unlikely. (Although a part of me still hopes that this is the reason why the fat man hasn't been revealed so far.)

Another option would be adding (the great, iconic, untouchable) pirate Captain Syrup as a playable character, and that would be so badass, I'd probably shed tears of joys and name my future offspring after Sakurai, but realistically, we all know that won't happen anytime soon, so let's leave it at that. (Do something to boost her chances and give her a major role in a new game already, Nintendo! She's one of the best female characters you have! Duh!)

Therefore, there remains only one option that would satisfy my need for Wario Land-related awesomeness: a stage! (Took me a while to get to the point, huh?) Of course, there a several great candidates, like the SS Teacup from Wario Land 1 & 2 or the Golden Pyramid from Wario Land 4, but there is this one level, this one glorious level from Wario Land 5: The Shake Dimension that I can't get out of my head: Glittertown.

“What in the world is 'Glittertown'”, you might ask, and understandably so. Wario Land 5 was an immensely enjoyable platformer that, however, doesn't even compare to its predecessors in popularity and impact, and its individual levels aren't exactly well-known. But hear me out: Glittertown has a lot of things going for it.

First of all, being a fictional representation of Las Vegas, it revolves around concepts that characterize the Wario Land series as a whole - namely, lust for money, money, and more money. There a few places that could feel more like home for good ol' Wario and his pecuniary pursuits.
Secondly, it provides us with some unique mechanics that could, in my view, really add to the game if Glittertown was to become a stage. Let's take a look:

There are slot-machines that could provide the players with randomly selected items, release stage hazards in the form of various little goons, or even set the player's character on fire (yeah, they tend to do that); there are fountains that could connect different parts of the stage both vertically and horizontally at different times, but also punish a careless smashers who venture to step on them at the wrong moment; and there are platforms that are only occasionally revealed by spotlights – a great way to reward fighters who possess good stage awareness and memorization skills.

Sure, it might perhaps be a bit gimmicky, but since these stage elements would either have to be activated by the player or work in repeating patterns, it shouldn't be to hard to have a competitive match on a Glittertown-inspired stage. (Another issue might be the fact that in order to integrate all of these distinct elements, the stage would have to be fairly large, but I still think that a good stage design could find a nice solution for this problem. I frankly don't know, having zero experience in game design and being not exactly the most visually creative person in the world.)

And finally, there's the music. Oh sweet baby Jesus, the music. Wario Land 5 was almost universally praised for its amazing soundtrack, and Glittertown's jazz theme is definitely among the cream of the crop:

(Note: "Neon City" is actually Glittertown's second theme.)

Awwww yeah. That's the stuff I want to listen to when I'm pummeling Pokémon, pesky plumbers and Princess Peach. (Alliteration rocks.)

To sum it up – Glittertown offers a fitting representation for the Wario Land series, a great, colourful design, badass music, and unique elements that could be really fun. Let's have a Glittertown stage in Smash 4. That'd be sweet.

Wouldn't that be sweet? What do you think?

(Also, sorry for the length of this post – I don't deal in sentences, I deal in chapters. Be aware though, o noble reader, that I will be forever grateful for your attention. Thanks~!)

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I agree with the opinion on Spear Pillar being one of Brawl's worst stages. I was so hyped to find out there was a Spear Pillar stage in the game, but when I finally played on it, I wasn't impressed. Now, I'm a "competitive player" if you want to use that terminology, but that doesn't mean I only play on tournament neutral stages when I'm playing with my more casual friends. Pretty much all of us hate playing on that stage. The vertically-divided layout makes camping and chasing frustratingly inevitable, and you'll never know if you're going to get the mostly passive and manageable Dialga, or the extremely annoying Palkia or Cresselia. Cresselia is by far the worst. Like the Yellow Devil in Wily's Castle, it attacks far too often, and disrupts the match with its stage-wide "boomerang" attack on a near constant basis. There's no breathing room on that little boxed-in stage. It's too cramped and full of too many frequent hazards.
My favorite pokémon hazard was Dialga. I can predict when it will jump on the stage to attack players, them a grab my opponents and throw them there.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
To sum it up – Glittertown offers a fitting representation for the Wario Land series, a great, colourful design, badass music, and unique elements that could be really fun. Let's have a Glittertown stage in Smash 4. That'd be sweet.
Wouldn't that be sweet? What do you think?
I'm really not a big fan of Wario but, looking back, my dislike of him as a character and as a franchise only really started after his games became minigame fests. The one Warioland game I played briefly (I think it was Wario's Woods actually) I rather enjoyed.

Glittertown does, as you say, make for a perfect home stage for the guy. I may even revisit your post and to come up with a stage concept later.

CaptainSyrup

Smash Rookie
Yeah, WarioWare isn't exactly my cup of tea, either. I'd personally say that Wario Land 1 and particularly 4 (still the pinnacle of handheld platforming, in my view) are the best games to really understand the love that many have for the dude.

Glittertown does, as you say, make for a perfect home stage for the guy. I may even revisit your post and to come up with a stage concept later.
Wow, that'd be fantastic! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Yeah, WarioWare isn't exactly my cup of tea, either. I'd personally say that Wario Land 1 and particularly 4 (still the pinnacle of handheld platforming, in my view) are the best games to really understand the love that many have for the dude.

Wow, that'd be fantastic! Thanks in advance!
Am I the only person that likes both Wario series and appreciate them for what they are? I think WarioWare: Smooth Moves is the best game on the Wario series as a whole, followed by Wario Land: Shake It! and then WarioWare: Touched.
I'll have to disagree with you on this one, Bridges, yes, Cresselia's ridiculous and I wish she wasn't part of the stage (Specially because she doesn't have anything to do with Spear Pillar, Darkrai would've been a much better fit) but I can't bring myself to ignore the perfect representation of the location as a Smash stage, the memorable visuals, the amazing music, the attention to the source material (Aside from Cresselia, again), I mean, Arceus on the starry sky because you get to find him there!? Amazing! You also have the cave representing the insides of Mt. Coronet and the place where Dialga/Palkia appear has those hieroglyphics! Spear Pillar's my favorite Smash stage simply because it does everything a stage should do to represent the source material properly, and I'm REALLY, REALLY angry Spear Pillar's not coming back, it would've been awesome to have a Giratina version of the stage taking place in the Distortion World, maybe fighters being able to walk on walls and stuff.

Another hazardous stage that would've been awesome to see would've been N's Castle, with Reshiram and Zekrom fighting in the background. But Gen 5 seems to be getting the shaft this time around, even though it's one of the best Pokemon gens -n- Oh well! At least we have Kalos League and not Pokemon Stadium 1000, now we just need Gateway Colosseum, now that would be good.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hi everyone,

I'm starting something new for the Week in Review where I go into one thread per week and ask a series of questions/ask for opinions over a certain topic. Some of these are Top 10 Lists.

In the next issue, I will be featuring a segment titled "Top 10 Wanted Stages". That being said, what are your top 10 most wanted stages? Please include them like so:

1. New stage (franchise name)

1 being your most wanted and 10 being your least most wanted. Please include the stage name and franchise. Responders will be featured on the WiR!

For me:

1. Bowser's Castle (Super Mario Bros.)
2. Guar Plains (Xenoblade)
3. Twilit Palace (Legend of Zelda)
4. Nintendoland (Nintendoland)
5. Mario Party (Mario Bros.)
6. Katrina (Star Fox)
7. Sunset Shore (Donkey Kong)
8. AR Camera (3DS. Can play anywhere)
9. Phandora Drifts (Metroid)
10. Murasame Castle (Nazo no Murasame Jo)

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
1. Clock Town (Legend of Zelda)
2. Sunset Shore (Donkey Kong)
3. Yoshi's Island Underground (Yoshi)
4. Mole Cavern (Donkey Kong)
5. Bright Savannah (Donkey Kong)
6. Golden Temple (Donkey Kong)
7. Windmill Hills (Donkey Kong)
8. Venus Lighthouse (Golden Sun)
9. Dinosaur Planet (Star Fox)
10. Outer Wall (Cave Story)

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Only ten? That's a hard one.
  1. Gangplank Galleon (Donkey Kong)
  2. Bowser's Castle (Super Mario Bros.)
  3. N's Castle (Pokémon)
  4. Jungle Hijinx Returns/Golden Temple (Donkey Kong)
  5. Krazoa Palace/Sauria (Star Fox)
  6. Battle Theater (Paper Mario)
  7. Corneria City (Star Fox)
  8. Wilderness (Cubivore)
  9. Venus Lighthouse (Golden Sun)
  10. Aeropolis (F-Zero)

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
1. Gangplank Galleon (Donkey Kong Country)
2. The Courtroom (Phoenix Wright)
3. Glittertown (Wario Land: Shake Dimension)
4. Battle Theater (Paper Mario)
5. Shibuya (The World Ends With You)
6. Gate Colosseum (Pokemon Battle Revolution)
7. Pullblox Park (Pullblox)
8. Chemical Plant (Sonic the Hedgehog 2)
9. Luigi's Mansion (Luigi's Mansion 2)
10. No More Heroes Motel (No More Heroes)

Hong

The Strongest
1. Title Screen (Mario Paint)
2. Magicant (Mother 1+ 2)
3. Moonside (Mother 2)
4. Great Mila Tree (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
5. Streets of Daein (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)
6. Bowser's Castle (Mario Kart 8)
7. Milky Way Wishes - Marx Battle (Kirby Super Star)
8. Mt. Dedede (Kirby)
9. Water Temple (Legend of Zelda)
10. Hyrule Castle HD (Legend of Zelda/Super Smash Bros 64)

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Just to check, do they all have to be new stages? I ask because I REALLY want to see Dreamland return.

EDIT: And the promised stage:

Glittertown is a solid stage all the way down, with its main platform roughly the size of but a little taller than FD.
From time to time, two spots, equidistant from the middle, will bubble for a bit and then erupt with water spouts. These will act much like platforms/walls and will carry the player upwards if stood on as they're rising but, should a player be on the bubbles at the exact moment they change into water spouts, said player will be catapulted sky high. This is semi-random, with bubbling of either, both or neither spout randomly occurring at set intervals. It could potentially be quite disruptive but is easily avoided due to the clear forewarning.
More important, however, are the lights at the side of the stage. These have three main positions that they will move very slowly between. In these positions, they will illuminate the otherwise invisible platforms, making them solid. This means that the very layout of the stage will be affected by their movement.
They begin by enabling use of a single middle platform almost 2 blocks above the stage but change to 2 outer and ever so slightly lower platforms, back to the middle and then down to a low pair used for recovery. This cycle continues slowly and endlessly throughout the whole match.

If you wanted, this stage could be extended to each side and have a background slot machine on either side between the edges of the stage and the platforms. Were it to do so, these would be entirely scenery except when hit where they would have a 33% chance to drop a random non-smash ball item, 33% to drop a trophy/sticker and 33% to do nothing. This would change to 50/50 trophy/sticker or nothing with items turned off.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
1. Gaur Plains (Xenoblade)
2. Sunset Shore (DK)
3. Dragon Roost Island (LoZ: Wind Waker)
4. Mushroom Kingdom II (Mario: Melee)
5. Bowser's Castle (Mario)
6. Fountain of Dreams (Kirby:Melee)
7. Poke Floats 2 (Pokemon)
8. Fourside (Earthbound:Melee)
9. Termina Bay (LoZ:Melee)
10. Spear Pillar (Pokemon:Brawl)

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
euh... I mostly care about one stage and I still want to do it anyway.

It has to be ten right?
10 is other able but you can just put down 1.
Just to check, do they all have to be new stages? I ask because I REALLY want to see Dreamland return.

Glittertown is a solid stage all the way down, with its main platform roughly the size of but a little taller than FD.
From time to time, two spots, equidistant from the middle, will bubble for a bit and then erupt with water spouts. These will act much like platforms/walls and will carry the player upwards if stood on as they're rising but, should a player be on the bubbles at the exact moment they change into water spouts, said player will be catapulted sky high. This is semi-random, with bubbling of either, both or neither spout randomly occurring at set intervals. It could potentially be quite disruptive but is easily avoided due to the clear forewarning.
More important, however, are the lights at the side of the stage. These have three main positions that they will move very slowly between. In these positions, they will illuminate the otherwise invisible platforms, making them solid. This means that the very layout of the stage will be affected by their movement.
They begin by enabling use of a single middle platform almost 2 blocks above the stage but change to 2 outer and ever so slightly lower platforms, back to the middle and then down to a low pair used for recovery. This cycle continues slowly and endlessly throughout the whole match.

If you wanted, this stage could be extended to each side and have a background slot machine on either side between the edges of the stage and the platforms. Were it to do so, these would be entirely scenery except when hit where they would have a 33% chance to drop a random non-smash ball item, 33% to drop a trophy/sticker and 33% to do nothing. This would change to 50/50 trophy/sticker or nothing with items turned off.
Opps sorry....veteran stages are allowed

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Ok then:

1) Dreamland (Kirby)
2) Gravityman's Domain (Megaman)
3) The Special Stage (Sonic)
4) Tower of Salvation (Tales of Symphonia) - Not happening.
5) Barudo Island (Doshin the Giant)
6) Metal Cavern (Mario)
7) Penguin Pool (Wii Fit)
8) Underworld Gate (F-Zero)
9) Starship Mario (Mario)
10) Zoness Base (Starfox)

Khoru

Smash Champion
Endless Ocean (Endless Ocean)
Raphael's Planetoid (Yoshi's Island)
Tselinoyarsk (Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater)
Roivas Mansion/Ehn'gha (Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem)
Magicant (Mother/EarthBound)
Remix (Rhythm Heaven/Rhythm Heaven Fever)
Stage (Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door)
Planet Wisp (Sonic Colors)
N's Castle (Pokemon Black & White)
Demise's Battlefield (The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I'll do it, but the only reasons I don't care about stages that much is that they are usually the same pattern: they represent with great details just fine every time.

10 Any WarioWare stage, but with better silliness in the mini games. I felt improvement was needed despite the concept being interesting.

9 Bowser's castle: I know how it's popular and usually higher, but my reason is quite obvious: I'm biased on another choice. Still, it's true that you have good stuff to do here, but I just want that they at least captivate the intense feeling of it.

8 Luigi's mansion that is actually so random to sound scary? I mean ghost, but acting at random interval for surprise effect. I mean you could play with the silence and sounds to achieve this, but in a fight, it's like me disturbing you while you're about to win or sort of. Just seems silly again.

7 Any mother stage. Really, anything that is new. The locations in the game are very diversve that even though there was 3 stages since ssb64, there's so much to do here. Also, please...I want sanctuary guardians as music SO MUCH. If you know me, I think you know why.

6 Distortion world (yeah I got that from smash flash). Giratina doesn't have to be there since the world itself has illogical physics which means a good potential of "WTH???" moments. I don't know like changing the flow erratically, platform having weird patterns as they move, stuff like that. Also, I want the Giratina battle music.

5 Another retro stages 8 bit style. Seems quite weird, but even considering the number of [appealing] (that's opinion) retro and 8 bit stages, I still think you can go a lot further. I don't know about you, but just the idea of my character getting knocked out because an 8 bit enemy sounds very fun. So far, the best stage that had a similar feel for me was flatzone from ssbm, but I think they can do way better to get this feel.

4 A stage representing a whole console period. Speaking of silliness, I would like a stage representing a whole console and it could mean to literally play on or neat it. Flatzone was quite close, but I want to to represent the whole generation with more games. In that regard, fighting on a Gamecube would be the best imo.

3 Any stages with any boss hazards is mostly my favourites. I don't know why i have a so big love for hazard (nah, Ridley is playable :chuckle: ), but I would just love the stage for that. I think it's because it feels like you're on that location, but I'm not the type of guy that like simple stages even though battlefield in melee and final destination had very good background.

2 Any pokemon stage where any protagonists would be hazards has trainer. You'll find this weird, but since the trainer is [most likely] cut, I dreamt of a Pokemon stages of sort of a stadium where the trainers that were protagonist in the series, would be the hazard from outside. It's like an idea I had where the pokemons not included in balls could have a chance here with more uniwue attack like stats changes. It sounds very silly, but that would be kind of expected from me.

So, I came with those up as I posted and I learned that I hope for an awesome stage that is unlikely (number 2 btw).

But, this one was a lock for a very obvious reason...

1 The theatre from Paper Mario: The Thousand-year Door: it should've been been clear from the beginning, but seriously, the stage alone is crazy while just being a flat walk off stage. You basically fight there every time at this place in the original game and what makes it the most interesting is the audience. Because they would actually react depending on how the fight is going which could affect the fight itself like throwing harming or healing items, making one act like a cloaking device or they could regroup themselves to throws rocks on you. You could make them cheers by taunting , but even then, the stage also has hazards itself. Everything from getting a projector in your head making you dizzy to enemies entrance to finally change the background and location altering the gimmicks and possibly, having boss like Rash Hawk as hazard!!! Can you still get that I'm still talking about a flat walk off stage DESPITE disliking this layout? And finally, who wouldn't want ANY TTYD music? I'm just going to leave with this:

That's it! I realised that I may actually care for 2 stages, but the first is far on the top.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
1.- Bowser's Castle (Mario Kart 8)
2.- Sunset Shores (DKC Returns)
3.- Planet Wisp (Sonic Colors)
4.- Bowser Land (Super Mario 3D World)
5.- Aurum Island (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
6.- Blossom City (Wonderful 101)
7.- Phaaze (Metroid Prime Corruption)
8.- Grima's Back (Fire Emblem Awakening)
9.- The Rolling Western (Dillon's Rolling Western)
10.- Waluigi Pinball (Mario Kart DS/7)

CaptainSyrup

Smash Rookie

Dude, that is awesome, I love it! Thank you so much for your effort (and for even drawing some concept art). I especially like your idea that the hidden platforms should become only solid when illuminated by the spotlights, which is probably far better (and more fun) than my memorization idea. (Not exactly canon, maybe, but who cares – it's Smash, after all.)

In my opinion, the slot machines would be pretty mandatory, though, as they play a huge part in establishing the Vegas atmosphere of the stage. By the way, instead of having a 33% chance of them doing nothing at all, maybe it would be neat to give them the possibility to release a burst of fire, thereby damaging the player who activated the machine (based on the hidden level “Neon City” that revisits the slot machine concept in Wario Land 5). After all, gambling should always involve a certain amount of risk, methinks.

Anyway, that is one great concept, and in the unlikely event that a Glittertown stage like this would be part of Smash 4, I'd be sooo freakin' happy.

Am I the only person that likes both Wario series and appreciate them for what they are? I think WarioWare: Smooth Moves is the best game on the Wario series as a whole, followed by Wario Land: Shake It! and then WarioWare: Touched.
Well, different strokes for different folks, I guess. Don't get me wrong - the WarioWare series offers some cool party game titles that me and my friends had lot of fun with, and I certainly like them, but they just don't give me that distinct Wario vibe that I love so much. (Also, no Captain Syrup to be found in these games. Boo.) But yeah, both series definitely have their merits - they are just totally different kind of beasts.

Fumpster

Smash Rookie
For the Wii U version:

1.- Space Pirate Homeworld (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
2.- Bowser's Castle (Mario Kart 8)
3.- Gangplank Galleon (Donkey Kong Country)
4.- Forsaken Fortress (The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker)
5.- City Escape (Sonic Adventure 2/Sonic Generations)
6.- City Trial (Kirby Air Ride)
7.- Maridia (Super Metroid)
8.- Ratl Ruins (Wario Land: Shake It!)
9.- Rainbow Road (Mario Kart 64/Mario Kart 8)
10.- Blossom City (The Wonderful 101)

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord
For the Wii U version:

1.- Grima's Back (Fire Emblem Awakening)
2.- City Escape (Sonic Adventure 2/Sonic Generations)
3.- Gangplank Galleon (Donkey Kong Country)
4.- Any Xenoblade stage
5.- Tetris stage
6.- Kirby fighters stage
7.- Blossom City (The Wonderful 101)
8.- Shy Guy Falls (Mario Kart 64)
9.- Rainbow Road (Mario Kart 64/Mario Kart 8)
10.-Waluigi Pinball (Mario Kart DS/7)

that was really hard tbh.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Dude, that is awesome, I love it! Thank you so much for your effort (and for even drawing some concept art). I especially like your idea that the hidden platforms should become only solid when illuminated by the spotlights, which is probably far better (and more fun) than my memorization idea. (Not exactly canon, maybe, but who cares – it's Smash, after all.)

In my opinion, the slot machines would be pretty mandatory, though, as they play a huge part in establishing the Vegas atmosphere of the stage. By the way, instead of having a 33% chance of them doing nothing at all, maybe it would be neat to give them the possibility to release a burst of fire, thereby damaging the player who activated the machine (based on the hidden level “Neon City” that revisits the slot machine concept in Wario Land 5). After all, gambling should always involve a certain amount of risk, methinks.

Anyway, that is one great concept, and in the unlikely event that a Glittertown stage like this would be part of Smash 4, I'd be sooo freakin' happy.
The platform mechanics there are indeed non-canon but, like you, I viewed it better for gameplay that they work that way and it's still in keeping with the original feel.
The slot machines were something I was a little unsure on. They form a major part of the stage's aesthetic, yes, but they do very little to promote interesting gameplay in Smash. I chose to focus on the platforms and waterspouts because it's the way in which players maneuver around a stage that really determines how it plays and I did not want to overcrowd the stage.
That said, I was never happy about leaving out the slot machines. They may not be as important to the Smash stage in terms of how it plays out but they're still a major part of the stage's identity.

As for the risk of gambling on the slot machines, that was expected to come from the choice of items itself. It would be so easy to have them spawn a bob-om ontop of you. I'm not against the idea of retaliative fire though.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I just hope the 3DS doesn't get all the good exclusive stages like they have os far.
Anyway a top 10 list? This is a wishlist right, not an expectation list

10. Gangplank Galleon (Donkey Kong Country 2)
9. Bomb-omb battlefield (SM64)
8. The Mountaintop with the Giant Egg (Zelda: Link's Awakening XD)
7. Original Elite Four with Saffron City-esque stage hazard from the trainers
6. Saffron City (pokemon)
5. Castle Daein with Ashnard/Black Knight stage hazards (Fire Emblem Path of Radiance)
4. Bowser's Castle (Mario)
3. Water Temple (Zelda)
2. Venus Lighthouse (Golden Sun)
1. Sernes Forest (Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Last edited:

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
The new Starfox Assault stage looks amazing! Who's going to be on it?!

Masahiro Sakurai said: "Pic of the day. Here's the Great Fox from Star Fox: Assault. I wonder what missions it will conduct. It'll probably have fighters running around on top of it without the pilot's consent."

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
1. Nintendo Land. (Nintendo Land.)
2. Bowser's Castle. (Super Mario Bros.)
3. City Escape. ( Sonic the Hedgehog.)
4. Poke Floats 2. (Pokemon.)
5. Rainbow Road for Wii U. (Super Mario.)
6. Saturn Valley. (Earthbound.)
7. Mine cart Madness. (Donkey Kong.)
8. Formidable Oak. (Pikmin.)
9. Hyrule Castle. (The Legend of Zelda / Super Smash Bros.)
10. Fourside. (Earthbound)

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Does anyone think that brawl stages will only return to the Wii U version, and melee stages will only return to the 3DS version?

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I think we can expect a new new Sector Z/Corneria with that version of the Great Fox. Looks awesome.

My top ten wanted stages?

1. Venus Lighthouse (Golden Sun)
2. Gaur Plane (Xenoblade)
3. Bowser's Castle (Super Mario Bros.)
4. Forbidden Fortress (The Legend of Zelda)
5. Minecart Madness (Donkey Kong)
6. Casino Night Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog)
7. Bramble Blast (Donkey Kong)
8. Zinger Hive (Donkey Kong)
9. Airship (Super Mario Bros.)
10. Gangplank Galleon (Donkey Kong)

Seriously. There's a lot of untapped potential in Donkey Kong Country stages.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Battle Theater (Paper Mario))
Bowser's Castle (Super Mario World)
Gangplank Galleon (Donkey Kong Country)
Magicant (Earthbound)
Waru Waru Plaza (Wii U)
Nintendo Land
Tetris
The Hospital from Trauma Center
Nintendo Love Hotel
That pretty sunset level from DKC:R

CaptainSyrup

Smash Rookie
The platform mechanics there are indeed non-canon but, like you, I viewed it better for gameplay that they work that way and it's still in keeping with the original feel.
The slot machines were something I was a little unsure on. They form a major part of the stage's aesthetic, yes, but they do very little to promote interesting gameplay in Smash. I chose to focus on the platforms and waterspouts because it's the way in which players maneuver around a stage that really determines how it plays and I did not want to overcrowd the stage.
That said, I was never happy about leaving out the slot machines. They may not be as important to the Smash stage in terms of how it plays out but they're still a major part of the stage's identity.

As for the risk of gambling on the slot machines, that was expected to come from the choice of items itself. It would be so easy to have them spawn a bob-om ontop of you. I'm not against the idea of retaliative fire though.
Fair enough, can't really argue with your design choices, anyway. I personally fell in love with the idea of having a Smash stage based on this particular level, but as you said, it is a tad difficult to find a design that's not too busy and actually functional from a gameplay perspective while doing the overall vibe of Glittertown justice. I can definitely see your concept working though, so thank you for giving my pipe-dream a more definite shape. ^^

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I wanna see Casino Palace from F-Zero GX, and have it play like Mute City, Port Town Aero Drive, and Rainbow Road do, and then that can be it for the F-Zero stages on the Wii U version.

Top Bottom