• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Analysis & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I guess if we were to limit those 18 down into a better number i'd say this. Well first most educated people know Castle Siege is a good stage and that Kongo Jungle 64 will be good if size isn't an issue, so I'll ignore those two.

1. Windy Hill (because the only possible issue is size)
2. Mario Circuit (Wii U)
3. Orbital Gate Assault
4. Pokemon Stadium 2
5. Luigi's Mansion
6. Kalos Pokemon League
7. Norfair

Those above seem the most easily fought for and acceptable

8. Jungle Hijinx
9. Wooly World

If these don't prove problematic in testing, then its possible to fight for.

10. Wii Fit Studio
11. Coliseum

VGBootcamp actually put some hope for walk-offs considering they said they might include these. And thats coming from the place that banned Arena Ferox.

12. Wrecking Crew
13. Gamer
14. Garden of Hope
15. Mario Galaxy
16. Mushroom Kingdom U

These ones seem like they all have one too many problems. I'd call em legal, but most people won't. That said, Gamer is going to be fun as hell in friendlies.
I included Castle Siege and Kongo Jungle 64 on that list because they're banned in Brawl and Melee and I expect the inertia from that to be a problem. But maybe I'm cynical.

I wasn't aware VGBC said they might include Wii Fit Studio and Coliseum, that's interesting.

Mario Galaxy being a walkoff is obviously one issue, but else is going on with it? Is the weird curvature really that big a deal?

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
I guess if we were to limit those 18 down into a better number i'd say this. Well first most educated people know Castle Siege is a good stage and that Kongo Jungle 64 will be good if size isn't an issue, so I'll ignore those two.

1. Windy Hill (because the only possible issue is size)
2. Mario Circuit (Wii U)
3. Orbital Gate Assault
4. Pokemon Stadium 2
5. Luigi's Mansion
6. Kalos Pokemon League
7. Norfair

Those above seem the most easily fought for and acceptable

8. Jungle Hijinx
9. Wooly World

If these don't prove problematic in testing, then its possible to fight for.

10. Wii Fit Studio
11. Coliseum

VGBootcamp actually put some hope for walk-offs considering they said they might include these. And thats coming from the place that banned Arena Ferox.

12. Wrecking Crew
13. Gamer
14. Garden of Hope
15. Mario Galaxy
16. Mushroom Kingdom U

These ones seem like they all have one too many problems. I'd call em legal, but most people won't. That said, Gamer is going to be fun as hell in friendlies.
If VGBootcamp of all places give hope to walk offs then that makes a powerful ally; if there's one thing the majority goes for, it's big names.

As for the bottom five, you know I'm interested in Wrecking Crew, but the others are going to have to go through even more than I expect Wrecking Crew will have to.

The bug in Garden of Hope isn't reallly that hard to dodge, but still, the damage might be too much to ask people to deal with, we'll see.

The other five I have no hope in being accepted, except for Galaxy in liberal lists.

Edit: Paranoid; I thought Siege was still legal.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
I included Castle Siege and Kongo Jungle 64 on that list because they're banned in Brawl and Melee and I expect the inertia from that to be a problem. But maybe I'm cynical.

I wasn't aware VGBC said they might include Wii Fit Studio and Coliseum, that's interesting.

Mario Galaxy being a walkoff is obviously one issue, but else is going on with it? Is the weird curvature really that big a deal?
Castle Siege is legal in Brawl, Kongo Jungle 64 is legal in 64 and doubles Melee.

I was informed through the subreddit that they were discussing and testing it. I'm not sure how far they'll go with it, but at least there's some optimism.

Mario Galaxy's problem is that it's really big. Like the curve makes it kinda misleading, but its a lot bigger than coliseum. If it's legal, then it would be for doubles+.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
It's the rest I'm wondering about:
  1. Jungle Hijinxs
  2. Mario Circuit
  3. Kalos Pokemon League
  4. Windy Hill
  5. Orbital Gate Assault
  6. Kongo Jungle 64
  7. Luigi's Mansion
  8. Norfair
  9. Castle Siege
  10. Pokemon Stadium 2
  11. Coliseum
  12. Gamer
  13. Garden of Hope
  14. Mushroom Kingdom U
  15. Wii Fit Studio
  16. Wrecking Crew
  17. Woolly World
  18. Mario Galaxy
Each of these stages has something working against them, whether it's a specific stage hazard (Mushroom Kingdom U, Gamer), walkoffs (Coliseum, Mario Galaxy), size (Windy Hill, Woolly World), walls and similar surfaces (Luigi's Mansion, Mario Circuit), inertia from previous bans (Norfair, Pokemon Stadium 2), lack of knowledge (Kalos Pokemon League, Wrecking Crew), or just plain not wanting to deal with it (Orbital Gate Assault, Jungle Hijinxs).

Personally I'd be fine fighting on any of the above but that's obviously unrealistic. So I ask cooler heads which of those stages have better chances of acceptance?
From this list:

I personally feel these have the best shot:
-Mario Circuit U
-Orbital Gate Assault
-Castle Siege
-Pokemon Stadium 2
-Kalos League
-Windy Hill (Doubles)
-Garden of Hope (Doubles)
-Kongo Jungle 64 (Doubles if size is still a problem)

Could be possible if people can be convinced to test:
-Jungle Hijinxs
-Luigi's Mansion
-Norfair
-Wrecking Crew (Doubles)
-Wooly World(Doubles: you aren't going to see me fighting for this one though.)

I think walk-offs will end up banned and Nabbit and Mom are too strong in their respective stages.

Last edited:

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I don't see mom as a threat at all. She's just that easily telegraphed. What bugs me more are the caves of life and RNG of Gamer.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Honestly, I don't see mom as a threat at all. She's just that easily telegraphed. What bugs me more are the caves of life and RNG of Gamer.
Well if Gamer did somehow become legal, we could just make it procedure to restart the match if the Cave of Life form is chosen.

numanumaking13

Smash Cadet
NNID
numanumaking21
@ Piford Piford - I know you guys are talking about the Wii U stagelist but I got to ask why did VGBootcamp ban Arena Ferox? It seems like such a good legal stage. I heard some things but never found any actual evidence.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
@ Piford Piford - I know you guys are talking about the Wii U stagelist but I got to ask why did VGBootcamp ban Arena Ferox? It seems like such a good legal stage. I heard some things but never found any actual evidence.
They took the, lets start small and expand approach with the 3DS. So stages needed reasons to be legal not banned. They decided that the few problems with the stage outweigh any benefits it could bring. They are probably wrong but the damage has already been dealt.

numanumaking13

Smash Cadet
NNID
numanumaking21
They took the, lets start small and expand approach with the 3DS. So stages needed reasons to be legal not banned. They decided that the few problems with the stage outweigh any benefits it could bring. They are probably wrong but the damage has already been dealt.
That really sucks to hear. I've been playing on this netplay website that allows Arena Ferox and I honestly didn't see any major problems. That's actually my favorite stage to play on the netplay website as Mega Man. Thanks for the respond.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I think with what I've seen it's kinda like this...

Guaranteed Quality Barring Great Surprises:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Delfino Plaza
Mario Circuit
Kongo Jungle 64
Skyloft
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Town and City
Smashville
Pilotwings
Wuhu Island
Duck Hunt
Miiverse

I don't see any problems of substance with any of these stages. It would take something truly surprising to sink any of them. I truly don't understand why people think temporary walls/ceilings on Mario Circuit are an issue at all; it actually doesn't make sense to me. I don't really see any sensible arguments against any of these 15 stages except perhaps that Miiverse looks gameplay identical to Battlefield, but that's still going to be legal either way just a question of whether we have to treat it the way we treat Omega forms.

Most Probably Legal (barring unfortunate discoveries):

Big Battlefield
Orbital Gate Assault
Kalos Pokemon League
Pokemon Stadium 2

I think especially with weaker conveyors PS2 is a very good prospect (it was hardly the most hated stage in Brawl really). Kalos and Orbital Gate Assault are very complex and will need to be examined carefully but seem to toe the line very well so far and are stages I have a high degree of faith will work out. Big Battlefield is very big but also very tame, to be watched but presumed innocent.

Good and Usable Prospects:

Norfair
Port Town Aero Dive
Garden of Hope
Windy Hill

These four may be harder, but I think they're all worth giving a very serious look. PTAD having nerfed hazards is a big deal, Norfair was always way better than people said, and the other two seem a bit big and a bit odd but like stages we should be serious about giving a fair shake. Day one legal on these four but under a very watchful eye.

The Dubious Zone:

Mushroom Kingdom U
Luigi's Mansion
Jungle Hijinxs
Skyworld
Wrecking Crew

These five are not quite hopeless, but we have information that makes all five very suspect. Mushroom Kingdom U and Nabbit is just a problem to be solved before we can trust it again (ARGH! I hate that!), Luigi's Mansion was perhaps the most obnoxious stage in Brawl fairness or not (spoilers: it was fair in the end) which is not a good starting point and makes both the politics and worthiness of this stage hard to see working out but not impossible, Jungle Hijinxs seems overwhelmingly likely to turn into a run-away stage but it deserves to have its apparent anti-flee mechanic tested even though I have huge doubts it will work out, Skyworld played out just awfully in Brawl but it's a new game and the core concept is not 100% awful so we should probably toy with it to see if it plays out the same again, and I really believe the huge size and super low ceiling are going to be too big of problems for Wrecking Crew to overcome but it is non-conventional enough that we do need to double check since I can't say for absolute sure that the people who are optimistic about it are wrong. All five of these should be carefully examined before a final determination, but I wouldn't put them on in a tournament if I hadn't already carefully determined they're better than they look.

The Almost Definitely Technically Fair But Will Not Happen Zone:

Mario Galaxy
Mario Circuit Brawl
Bridge of Eldin
Woolly World
Yoshi's Island
Onett
Coliseum
Gamer
Wii Fit Studio
Pac-Land
Wily Castle

This is mostly walk-offs which are well known to create mediocre gameplay. Wily Castle and Gamer aren't walk-offs but are overwhelmingly disruptive stages I see no realistic chance of the community accepting. I don't envision any of these as battles worth having, but I wouldn't be upset to show up to a tournament and have to play on these guys if I ran into a TO more stage liberal than I am (as strange as that thought is). Full disclosure: I haven't seen Pac-Land video and don't know much about it (unlike the other 46 I feel like I understand as well as they can be understood) so it could actually be completely awful, but what we know from PotDs heavily implies it's at least this bad since it's obviously a scrolling walk-off stage.

Horrible, Awful Stages:

Temple
Pyrosphere
Great Cave Offensive
Palutena's Temple
Boxing Ring
75m
Flat Zone 2
Gaur Plain

I see nothing positive about these stinkers. Well, 75m is really, really fun but not competitive in any way whatsoever. I guess that's kinda a positive?

So I'm looking at 23 day one legal stages here, expecing to lose a few but not too many, and having a cache of 5 extra stages we'll have a careful eye on early on to see if the initial read on them isn't accurate and they may be worth using after all. There will be a few more unlockable stages as well we'll have to figure out as we see them, but I'm feeling like this is a position of strength for those of us who want diverse stages since we can have that without really violating what people who want tame stages wanted in the first place. This list also has heavy parity the whole way down between stages that move and stages that don't, and I think that's going to be one of the most important things to maintain in this game so I want to call attention to it.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Castle Siege is legal in Brawl, Kongo Jungle 64 is legal in 64 and doubles Melee.

I was informed through the subreddit that they were discussing and testing it. I'm not sure how far they'll go with it, but at least there's some optimism.

Mario Galaxy's problem is that it's really big. Like the curve makes it kinda misleading, but its a lot bigger than coliseum. If it's legal, then it would be for doubles+.
Thought Castle Siege was banned, oops. And yeah, I was thinking of Melee singles with Kongo Jungle 64 but forgot about doubles and 64 itself.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
We should stop coming up with these lists made by xx different number of people when we only have information trickling in slowly :/
The main point is to analyse the various stages

Personally I would say no to Nabbit. He seems to move so fast and in 1 v 1 it would be a huge distraction to either players

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Personally I think Woolly World deserves at least some playtesting or trial tournament runs before we cross it out.

Nothing on it is too intrusive and both the air and walkoff sections last about the same amount of time. Plus, the way the platforms are positioned, walkoff camping is a really bad idea as the stage will leave you behind if you attempt it and there's plenty of room to avoid that issue. It's also a very unique platform layout, while also having the weight tilting gimmick which could lead to neat strategies.

I vote we give it a few goes at early tourneys and take player feedback from it, then make a decision as to whether or not it's worth keeping. If it does end up awful, at least we'll have given it a fair shake before hitting it with the banhammer.

Last edited:

ChampKing

Smash Cadet
Why is Big Battlefield even considered for 1v1? It's just a bigger and more obnoxious Battlefield that allows for easier platform camping? There is no value to this stage in a 1v1 setting.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Why is Big Battlefield even considered for 1v1? It's just a bigger and more obnoxious Battlefield that allows for easier platform camping? There is no value to this stage in a 1v1 setting.
The idea that more players makes for bigger stages being better has never made sense to me...

Anyway, obnoxious is completely subjective, and platforms are useful for a lot more than camping. I think it's way pre-mature to draw that level of conclusion about how it will play out. There are no obvious problems with it. It's big, but it's not obvious that will actually make problems. Stages need some kind of a reason to be banned, and we currently don't have any reason to suspect one for this stage. Maybe one will arise when we actually play it, but right now we can only go off what we can see or in this case not see.

We should stop coming up with these lists made by xx different number of people when we only have information trickling in slowly :/
The main point is to analyse the various stages

Personally I would say no to Nabbit. He seems to move so fast and in 1 v 1 it would be a huge distraction to either players
Right now we're trying to sort through a ton of information as a group. Figuring out where each other's heads are on stuff is important (our lists of these things are very similar which is good), and seeing where we differ is a useful tool for directing conversation. Our ability to do any kind of deep analysis is really pretty limited right now. The 3ds conversation died since we all know that November 21 spells the end for the 3ds version having competitive relevance, and most of us agree that most of the 3ds stages are pretty dumb anyway (we could argue over what's fair, but seemingly no one actually likes the 3ds stages). Wii U isn't actually out yet so our information is pretty slim. So really, we can just look at the totality of what's known to be in the game and try to organize what we need to keep an eye out for when the Wii U version actually comes out. Like Nabbit is very suspect as an acceptable stage element, but it's hard to say for sure he ruins the stage without the ability to actually go in game and figure out how he really works (like if there's some arcane and currently unknown trick to survive being grabbed) so we can really just say Mushroom Kingdom U is on thin ice for now and that we'll be needing to figure out Nabbit in detail ASAP.

I did read a claim that Rayquaza does attack in Kalos in normal matches (from the reddit AMA). Apparently he spawns very rarely but is pretty aggressive when he appears. That's not really sufficient information to draw a good conclusion, but it's bad news in my book that he's a normal stage element in general. I sure hope we get some video of him in action soon so we can know just what we're dealing with here.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
More wrecking crew footage to analyze.
(13:50)
The barrels do seem to trap players for quite a bit.
Walls are blown up in a chain reaction set off by you don't seem to hurt you.
Chain reactions set off by other people do.
Walls set off by the explosion did not kill Pit when he was at 155% on the middleish level. Players seem to be casual, so vectoring might not have been involved.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
More wrecking crew footage to analyze.
(13:50)
The barrels do seem to trap players for quite a bit.
Walls are blown up in a chain reaction set off by you don't seem to hurt you.
Chain reactions set off by other people do.
Walls set off by the explosion did not kill Pit when he was at 155% on the middleish level. Players seem to be casual, so vectoring might not have been involved.
So this definitely needs testing but the barrels might be bad. Also this clearly needs to be tested with Kirby, Charizard, ect. to soo how quickly the up throw kills with the top platform. I think the hazards are fine because they're player activated. That means there no randomness and no stages fault, its 100% due to the players input.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
RAYQUAZA FOOTAGE!
Yeah so I guess he can appear, but he actually did like nothing.
Edit: Um manaphy, what are you doing.
Edit 2: Registeel Why.
Ughh unless we can find what triggers this #BANNED (cries in a corner).

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I doubt the subreddit will except Yoshi's Island Melee even if it's a fine stage. There seems to be an innate hatred for the layout.

I think Windy Hill only looks big, in practice it doesn't seem too bad. I could be wrong though.

I think you should really push for Orbital Gate on the subreddit because people seem to just write it off either because it moves or they think the explosions are actually hazards (there only very minot hazards, better than Halberds). The stage could really add a lot but people are going to think its unfair unless they learn it.
Out of all the stages in my sceince testing area, these are the ones that probably stand the best chance.

Orbital Gate Assault
Pokemon Stadium 2
Wii Fit Studio
Windy Hill Zone

Even on the subreddit some folks want to try out walkoffs again... Maybe we have a chance for more stages. But despite this I know trying to push Orbital Gate Assault show be a worth while cause, hopefully it can gain some acceptance and we don't find anything weird about it we somehow haven't seen in the videos. PS2 may stand a fair shot, not everyone was happy when it started being banned in Brawl and if the hazards look better we may do good. Windy Hill Zone is pretty much based on size, so when we get to play on it we'll know.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
RAYQUAZA FOOTAGE!
...Hm? That didn't look too bad actually. When you said Manaphy, I was expecting heartswap, and Registeel to act like metalface or something.

Manaphy's whirlpool doesn't seem bad at all, and Registeel only does one stomp apparently. It seemed to only kill Samus while she was really high up as well.

...With that said, it will be very hard to convince anyone to have this legal with this many hazards. >.>

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
...Hm? That didn't look too bad actually. When you said Manaphy, I was expecting heartswap, and Registeel to act like metalface or something.

Manaphy's whirlpool doesn't seem bad at all, and Registeel only does one stomp apparently. It seemed to only kill Samus while she was really high up as well.

...With that said, it will be very hard to convince anyone to have this legal with this many hazards. >.>
Registeel is what killed it for me. He took up the entire stage with that hazard. Now maybe it only happens when items or on or if there's four players because it seems odd that we never saw it before. If it's just random then I think its banned.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Registeel is what killed it for me. He took up the entire stage with that hazard. Now maybe it only happens when items or on or if there's four players because it seems odd that we never saw it before. If it's just random then I think its banned.
I guess that is true despite it seeming to be easily avoided. It's very disruptive to be sure.

What makes it even worse though is that we still have one legendary unaccounted for: Fire

Do I even want to know what that legendary would do?

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
I guess that is true despite it seeming to be easily avoided. It's very disruptive to be sure.

What makes it even worse though is that we still have one legendary unaccounted for: Fire

Do I even want to know what that legendary would do?
The only fire legendaries unaccounted for are Ho-oh and Heatren. I'd guess Heatren since it fits having 2 gen 3 and 2 gen 4 pokes. I assume heatran would cause lava to fill up the floor leaving only to two platforms, and Ho-oh to either do that or performs sacred fire like he did in Melee an Brawl,

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Ugh, I still like Kalos Pokemon League but I can't see people wanting to play on it after that video.

Odds are Manaphy and Registeel are on a timer WRT when they first come out of a Pokeball. That makes them predictable. Rayquaza and Manaphy also seem relatively non-dangerous, if annoying. Registeel...buries people on the ground and killed (airborne, admittedly high up) Samus at 80-90%.

D

Deleted member

RAYQUAZA FOOTAGE!
So all of the stage hazards, solid walls, the possibility of turning metal, walkoffs, Rayquaza's existence (we already knew he appeared… and he wasn't even in the champion's room so it was somewhat reasonable to expect more from each section), and the fact that the neutral part of the stage lasts less time than the hazards didn't kill the stage for you already?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
So all of the stage hazards, solid walls, the possibility of turning metal, walkoffs, Rayquaza's existence (we already knew he appeared… and he wasn't even in the champion's room so it was somewhat reasonable to expect more from each section), and the fact that the neutral part of the stage lasts less time than the hazards didn't kill the stage for you already?
All the hazards before the legendarieds were easily telegraphed and avoidable, The walkoffs don't last that long, the possibility to turn metal I wouldn't think would affect much, Rayquaza himself is EXTREMELY telegraphed and he doesn't even do that much if he does hit you.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
I'm still not 100% killed. Hopefully we can find what triggers it (if anything) or Registeel has a safezone or something. Also the "neutral" part of the stage actually last more time, especially when taking into account the time in the hazard rooms where there are no hazards and the transitions.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Ok so I played on a ton of stuff last night on the Wii U version. Going to type up a big post of thoughts later on and probably update the OP some.

I (as usual) think AA is being a bit over-generous with 23, as my personal count came to around 18 I would have legal (but then I again, I didn't have all of them unlocked), but for the most part there are a LOT of great stages, which is just fantastic news.

Edit: Also don't get your hopes up for Kalos, that stage is gonna be dead as shiiiiiit. There were a number of extremely disruptive transitions. And I don't think we even ran into Registeel on like the 2-3 plays we did.

Edit 2: Manaphy can bring in a ****ing SMASHBALL?! How does anyone think for even a half-second that this stage can still be legal?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All the hazards before the legendarieds were easily telegraphed and avoidable, The walkoffs don't last that long, the possibility to turn metal I wouldn't think would affect much, Rayquaza himself is EXTREMELY telegraphed and he doesn't even do that much if he does hit you.
Hazards stack up, and some people don't like Halberd because it has hazards, albeit telegraphed. You can use these hazards to gain an advantage that you wouldn't be able to get otherwise. Throwing a Yoshi main who trained hard for Apex 2015 into Rayquaza (or even the dragon head's purple fire, Manaphy's whirlpool, the floating swords, or the fire) seems like a nice treat for somebody who spent $ and time on their favorite game, and this task is only made easier since he is slow, lasts a while, and is telegraphed.

Walkoffs are always a blow against a stage if it lasts for a reasonable amount of time, and that video has them show for ~30 which is not exactly a short period of time. Not going to delve to deep into this one

Nice argument for turning metal. "I think its ok". No, its not. If I turn metal than it is much much harder for me to be launched since I gain more weight, coupled with the blades on the side surrounding my pool of safety I cannot be thrown offstage low enough that easily. On top of that I get increased launch power to brutally KO my opponent with a reward far too good for normal stage control.

You didn't even bring up the wall swords. The ones that you can't run through, can tech off if somebody hits you near one, cause camping just like PS1's tree, and ruin grounded approaches. The fire isn't exactly forgiving either since you can shoot projectiles through it, as if it wasn't good enough for campers already. Besides that it changes the flow of the match since nobody wants to run into the fire on accident or get hit into it, so everybody is either camping or trying to not get hit by the fire.

tl;dr Its a bad stage and it was before Manaphy (who makes it so you absolutely have to fight on walkoffs) and Registeel (who resets the sword's height for campers and creates giant aerial hitboxes that KO fairly early on top of trapping fighters in pitfalls). We don't even know what Heatran/Ho-oh is going to do yet!

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Ok so I played on a ton of stuff last night on the Wii U version. Going to type up a big post of thoughts later on and probably update the OP some.

I (as usual) think AA is being a bit over-generous with 23, as my personal count came to around 18 I would have legal (but then I again, I didn't have all of them unlocked), but for the most part there are a LOT of great stages, which is just fantastic news.

Edit: Also don't get your hopes up for Kalos, that stage is gonna be dead as shiiiiiit. There were a number of extremely disruptive transitions. And I don't think we even ran into Registeel on like the 2-3 plays we did.

Edit 2: Manaphy can bring in a ****ing SMASHBALL?! How does anyone think for even a half-second that this stage can still be legal?
Wait Manaphy can bring in a smash ball? If your basing off the footage I think that was just coincidence (considering it spawned under the platform) if its from experience than yeah its a no go.

@Pikablu Pikachu Even if this stage should be banned for everything, I still think your wrong about the swords. Since it is a hurtbox I don't think you can tech it. Also you can stand on top and attack the handle to drive it into the person camping. And using hazards to gain an advantage is not a bad thing. It's not like only one player can do it, each have equal opportunity. If we are going to start banning stage because they can give players advantages then we might as well ban everything. Why can't the Yoshi main throw his opponent into Rayquaza? And why does it matter that they main Yoshi? I'm going to be done arguing for this stage until I play it myself.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
That's not from experience, no. But I saw no other items in that vid, so Occam's Razor says Manaphy.

Tbh the hazards on the Steel stage are bad enough to ban the stage without even discussing the rest.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Did you get to play Wrecking crew? What are your overall thoughts on that stage if you did?

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
That's not from experience, no. But I saw no other items in that vid, so Occam's Razor says Manaphy.

Tbh the hazards on the Steel stage are bad enough to ban the stage without even discussing the rest.
I really doubt manaphy would bring a smash ball since he didn't play the animation and it made no sense from pokemon lore. It was likely the only item on was the Smash Ball. But whatever, if the steel is bad enough to ban it then it doesn't matter anyways.

D

Deleted member

Can you tell me what type of projectiles can go through the fire walls in the fire section? I saw Mario's fireball pass through in one video, and I'm wondering if only fire based energy projectiles, energy projectiles, or all projectiles can go through the fire hazards (besides the steel section which I've been against for a couple pages now, I think the wall only projectiles can go through is the biggest problem with this stage since its the best situation for projectile campers, especially if they have good anti-airs).

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Some actual Pac-Land footage.
So yeah, the only actual problem is that it's a scrolling stage, and it's probably not worth fighting for even if it didn't look awful.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Aww Kalos just became inarguable. It MIGHT have had a shot before we got a legendary for every room, but yeah there's no way you'll convince people to play on that.

Getting barrel'd in Wrecking crew seems to be similar to being buried/Yoshi egg'd. I wonder if a smash attack would launch. I also wonder if trapping time is damage dependent or if you can mash out (Link was stuck for 5 seconds with around 20-30% while Pit was stuck for 10 seocnds with 100+%). Still think it'd be workable for doubles, but I'm not confident this stage'll work for singles.

Pac-Land is walk off. We knew this already, but we now have official gameplay footage confirming it.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Kinda surprised that people were giving Kalos League a chance once the hazards started to be shown off. Even if somewhat manageable, it just seemed like something that the community would eventually ban because conservative. At least we can now axe it and move on.

It's great to see Legendary Pokemon, but this stage seems to be more of a successor to Spear Pillar than even Unova League. Which BTW, I wonder which Legendary will appear on the Fire stage?

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
I just caught up on the news. What a shame about Kalos; it's pretty much dead in the water.

I'm still hopeful on Wrecking Crew being a double stages (though having doubts it will be a singles stage, but I'll try advocating). Overall, this is still a very large stage list now that we have definite bans and a look at the whole list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom