• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Gamefreak didn't really say anything regarding Jigglypuff at all at the time of Brawl.
What do you mean? GF tells Sakurai what Pokemon he's allowed to use as playable, so how would they have had nothing to say regarding Jigglypuff?

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
There is NO WAY Jigglypuff is gonna get cut. Jiggly represents the BIGGEST change in the Pokemon franchise...Fairy types. Gamefreak won't allow Sakurai to cut Jiggly unless a different Fairy takes it's place and there's none that really standout enough. Plus Jiggly is an original 12 and I have to believe that makes them untouchable.
Uh... "the biggest change in the Pokemon franchise" would probably be the addition of mega evolutions, not an eighteenth type of Pokemon. Even then, it feels like Sylveon was promoted as the mascot of sorts for Fairy type Pokemon, not Jiggs. Also, from what I understand, Jigglypuff isn't appearing in the anime or the movies anymore, so I find the idea that TPC "won't allow Sakurai to cut Jigglypuff" to be pretty silly, especially considering he's already cut Squirtle and Ivysaur.

In the end, I think she'll make it in anyway, but if only one more Pokemon could be added, I think Mewtwo would receive priority here. IIRC, there are only two Pokemon that received two mega evolutions, one of them is Mewtwo and the other one is already confirmed....

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
So? Of the 721 Pokemon how many are actually suitable for inclusion in Smash?
Besides I don't see Jiggly being cut when it made it into Brawl, when Mewtwo a more important Pokemon was cut.
Take into consideration Her dev time. She doesnt take long to create, due to her simplistic design and moveset modelling. Granted, this wouldnt be a good reason alone to include her, but it is certainly attractive because she does have a unique moveset that can beef up the roster in a short time.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Guys, try to stay on topic please. Talk about Jiggly if she can be related to a leak, but otherwise take your discussion about her elsewhere.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Not-so-daily reminder that you guys shouldn't venture into character-specific discussion in this thread. Cuts not having anything to do with leaks but out of personal preference are akin to spam here.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
Imagine a Smash Bros without Mario or Luigi? :troll:

On a more serious note, I didn't realize one of our mods had spoken with Sal. The fact that he isn't publicly sharing what he found out makes me feel like he likely got some interesting details that shed more light on Sal's leaks. I sure would like to be in on that information!

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
Uh... "the biggest change in the Pokemon franchise" would probably be the addition of mega evolutions, not an eighteenth type of Pokemon. Even then, it feels like Sylveon was promoted as the mascot of sorts for Fairy type Pokemon, not Jiggs. Also, from what I understand, Jigglypuff isn't appearing in the anime or the movies anymore, so I find the idea that TPC "won't allow Sakurai to cut Jigglypuff" to be pretty silly, especially considering he's already cut Squirtle and Ivysaur.

In the end, I think she'll make it in anyway, but if only one more Pokemon could be added, I think Mewtwo would receive priority here. IIRC, there are only two Pokemon that received two mega evolutions, one of them is Mewtwo and the other one is already confirmed....
I'm not gonna argue what was a bigger change since this isn't a Pokemon forum. But why when Sakurai said he wanted to focus on certain uniqueness of characters would he cut a character that can now get reworked thanks to Fairy typing just to have 3 mega evolution characters...that doesn't make sense at all. Lets look at the current Pokemon on the roster and how they represent the 2 new games X and Y.

Pikachu - Pokemon mascot and only Pokemon in the game with a voice actor.
Lucario - According to Pokemon history, was the first Pokemon to ever mega evolve.
Charizard - Fan favorite from Gen 1 that was also able to be picked after you chose a Gen 6 starter. Also, 2 mega evolutions.
Greninja - Fan favorite final evolution of the Gen 6 starters.

Possible characters
Jigglypuff - One of the first 4 Pokemon revealed to be Fairy type, Original 12 Smash character
Mewtwo - 2 mega evolutions. Cut from roster during Brawl.

I'm sorry to all the hardcore Mewtwo fans, but if Pokemon doesn't have 6 characters this time around...evidence points to Jigglypuff getting in before Mewtwo.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Warning Received
Sylveon could work. But I doubt Slyveon would be playable when Eevee is a pokeball Pokemon.
Eevee =/= Sylveon.

Also, we had both Munchlax AND Snorlax as Pokeball Pokemon in Brawl.

FSLMJM

Smash Journeyman
It amazes me that some people actually still believe that Jigglypuff, or anyone from the original 12, has a chance of getting cut. They've been in every Smash Bros game for a reason, folks.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
For most people, Lucas is gonna be cut, not Ness.

Why does everyone gang up on Jigglypuff specifically, though?
Tbh, I like playing as Jiggles, the only problem here is that there's a theory that Pokemon can only take up 5 roster spots because that's how many Mario reps there are, and so it will be a fight between Mewtwo and Jigglypuff for the last spot. Part of the original 12 or not, Mewtwo is infinitely more deserving and popular than Jigglypuff, though I'd like to see both.

Edit: Saw the posts above, sorry, going to stay on topic now.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
The original 12 being safe is probably true, but its a stupid rule. Jiggs blows and has no place, and if she is in that probably means 6 pokemon reps for sure, and that's a little excessive. Also Lucas should be removed. So should a star fox character.

But Sakurai is Sakurai so if anything we'll get even more star fox and mother reps

Espio264

Smash Ace
I heard a rumor that there's another Mario character, another Zelda character, Jiggs and Mewtwo are both in, there is NO random button, and the total character number is 47, which is divisible by... well, nothing.

Seriously, are there any leaks claiming anything interesting before E3? I think at this point even Sal is sick of Sal.

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
The original 12 being safe is probably true, but its a stupid rule. Jiggs blows and has no place, and if she is in that probably means 6 pokemon reps for sure, and that's a little excessive. Also Lucas should be removed. So should a star fox character.

But Sakurai is Sakurai so if anything we'll get even more star fox and mother reps
Slippy and Mr. T lookalike guy for Smash 4

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Warning Received
What do you mean? GF tells Sakurai what Pokemon he's allowed to use as playable, so how would they have had nothing to say regarding Jigglypuff?
Last off-topic post, mods.
Jigglypuff was added because she was an easy to make character from Kirby when Smash 64 development time was running out.

It amazes me that some people actually still believe that Jigglypuff, or anyone from the original 12, has a chance of getting cut. They've been in every Smash Bros game for a reason, folks.
Seniority alone doesn't stop the possibility of Jigglypuff getting cut. But lets get back to leaks please.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Guys, try to stay on topic please. Talk about Jiggly if she can be related to a leak, but otherwise take your discussion about her elsewhere.
Not-so-daily reminder that you guys shouldn't venture into character-specific discussion in this thread. Cuts not having anything to do with leaks but out of personal preference are akin to spam here.
We JUST said it, people. Character/representation/general cut talk goes in the OCDT, not here.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I heard a rumor that there's another Mario character, another Zelda character, Jiggs and Mewtwo are both in, there is NO random button, and the total character number is 47, which is divisible by... well, nothing.

Seriously, are there any leaks claiming anything interesting before E3? I think at this point even Sal is sick of Sal.
Of course there's another Zelda character. Ganondorf hasn't been confirmed.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I quite like this rumor, though if Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon all have six characters then that means Sal's leaks are likely wrong, since all of his predictions + expected veterans (and Rosalina) = 47. Still, this is interesting; where did you hear this?
Seriously, are there any leaks claiming anything interesting before E3?
Nope. Few have had the guts to make any new "leaks" since that Direct last week.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm not gonna argue what was a bigger change since this isn't a Pokemon forum. But why when Sakurai said he wanted to focus on certain uniqueness of characters would he cut a character that can now get reworked thanks to Fairy typing just to have 3 mega evolution characters...that doesn't make sense at all. Lets look at the current Pokemon on the roster and how they represent the 2 new games X and Y.

Pikachu - Pokemon mascot and only Pokemon in the game with a voice actor.
Lucario - According to Pokemon history, was the first Pokemon to ever mega evolve.
Charizard - Fan favorite from Gen 1 that was also able to be picked after you chose a Gen 6 starter. Also, 2 mega evolutions.
Greninja - Fan favorite final evolution of the Gen 6 starters.

Possible characters
Jigglypuff - One of the first 4 Pokemon revealed to be Fairy type, Original 12 Smash character
Mewtwo - 2 mega evolutions. Cut from roster during Brawl.

I'm sorry to all the hardcore Mewtwo fans, but if Pokemon doesn't have 6 characters this time around...evidence points to Jigglypuff getting in before Mewtwo.
Try telling that to people on Gamefaqs, everyone there is convinced that both of them will get in >.>

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
We need to talke a look at the remaining leaks in the list @ GreenReaperGod GreenReaperGod has. I think we're down to 12 leaks. Also, it wouldn't prove Sal's leak wrong if we get more than 47, just the MK8 leak.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
On a more serious note, I didn't realize one of our mods had spoken with Sal. The fact that he isn't publicly sharing what he found out makes me feel like he likely got some interesting details that shed more light on Sal's leaks. I sure would like to be in on that information!
It's ironic that the most relevant thing we could talk about, is something we can't talk about. xD

Italian_Boy1Up

Smash Rookie
So I'm new to the site, but I've been lurking this thread for months now. Is there any proof that the Sal leak was actually a leak? Or was he just making a guess that turned out to be correct? It just seems to me, the wording of his post seems to imply the latter.

Also (pardon me if this has already been discussed, there are too many posts on this thread to keep up with as someone who just casually lurks), has the Chrom leak been proven fake? I noticed it was taken off the live leaks, but I didn't know what was revealed to cause it to be fake.

Lastly, I noticed nobody on here seems to be discussing the "Pacman in the clouds" during the Greninja trailer, I've heard rumors going around that it's supposed to be something "we missed" in the trailer according Nintendo. I've seen no proof that Nintendo said we missed something in the trailer/direct though.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
The leak that bothers me is the RosalinaX leak. If that's true on four cuts, wouldn't we technically have two with Squirtle and Ivy so far?

has the Chrom leak been proven fake? I noticed it was taken off the live leaks, but I didn't know what was revealed to cause it to be fake.
Thanks for joining! I bet it'll be nice to be able to reply to the things you lurked upon.

The Chrom picture has been shown to be fake by its creator. We couldn't tell by the original picture because of the contrast, but the creator showed us the actual image and the visual seams are apparent. It was a composite of Marth's facial features, for the most part.

GreenReaperGod

Smash Lord

Dead:

Journalist Leak -
Comprised of a "final roster" without Rosalina or Toon Link.
Reddit Leak - Claims that Rosalina is an Assist Trophy.
ThatWasPeachy False Leak - Self-explanatory.
Wegenbarth False Leak - See above.
APC99 False Leak - See above.
Occopicus Leak - Fortanono fake.
60 Character Roster Leak - Someone in this thread (don't remember) confessed to making it.
splat False Leak - Self-explanatory.
MisterVideoGaming False Leak - See above.
Competitive Arsehole Friend Leak - Clever analysis by Groose indicates that numbers-based poster username spells out "'Tis Fake!"
Early February 2013 Crap Leak - Claims that "Mega Man is off the table."
Smashboardian Leak That I Think Fortanono Made Leak - I was correct.
legendofrob1 False Leak - Self-explanatory.
Illiterate Leak (#2) - Said that Captain Falcon would be revealed on January 21st.
Toots Leak - Leaker admitted it was fake
Mr. Prediction Leak - Said that Shulk would be revealed on January 30th.
Hanafuda Leak (#1) - Said Lucario was cut.
Basty Leak - Also said that Lucario was cut.
Sandbag Leak - Said that Sandbag would be revealed on January 31st.
Really Short Leak - Lucario was revealed before Captain Falcon.
Frostwraith Leak - Self-explanatory.
Sakura Leak - Says that "Smash 5" is already in development by a different studio, when Sakurai has stated that SSBU and SSB3DS are Smash 4 and 5.
Sesquin Leak - Stated that Spear Pillar would return, but Palkia (major stage element of Spear Pillar) has been confirmed as a pokeball Pokemon.
Gandalf69me Leak - Admitted Fake
"Somebody is Coming" Leak - See above
Cap'nChreest Leak - See above
Souta Satou Leak - Yoshi Kato's email was soutasatou@____.com (they had different claims)
Yoshi Kato Leak - See above
Sound Guy Leak - Said Diddy would be next revealed (Little Mac was revealed before)
Veteran Leak - See above
Glass Joe Leak - Said that Diddy would be revealed on February 13th.
IGN Leak (#1) - See above
Year of Yoshi Leak - Said Yoshi and Baby Mario would be revealed during the direct on February 13th
Future Leaker Leak - Admitted fake
Diddy Kong Website Leak - Diddy Kong's background color is red, not blue
Illiterate Leak (#3) - Said that a "frozen DK Isle" stage would be revealed on DKTF's US release date
Ceres Leak - Had the same IP as another Smashboards user
Suomynona Leak - See above
New Nintendo Direct Stuff Leak - Said Mii would be revealed in the next direct.
CrimsonDivine Leak - The source admitted to have made it up
Over-Representation Leak (#1) - Said Waluigi was playable
GaeozHero Leak - Said "Ms. Tetris" would be revealed in February
Yoshi Website Leak - Said Yoshi would be revealed on March 14th
Baby Bros Leak - The models were from Super Mario Sluggers (edited from the T position)
Revealer Leak - Said we'd be getting at least 2 characters revealed per month (March had no reveals)
NES Remix 2 Leak - Claimed that Diddy would be the next character revealed, but Little Mac was revealed next.
Tin Star Leak - Said that the Pokemon 3DS stage would be a Cafe, but the Pokemon 3DS has been revealed to be Prism Tower
Time Travel Leak - Leaker claimed to have posted a legit leak on December 4th, 2013. He posted a picture which "accurately predicted" Rosalina and Little Mac. However, he mentioned the Palutena Leak which didn't exist back in 2013
Round Cactus Leak - Provided a list of newcomers without Megaman
Turgid Leak - Contained false information about the April 8th direct
Four Revealed Newcomer Info Leak - Said that Phantom Zelda was an assist trophy
Extremely Strange Leak - Said there would be different rosters on the different versons
Nintendo Direct Leak (#1) - See Turgid Leak
Betternet Roster Leak - Revealed a final roster without Greninja
Hyrule Goddesses Leak - See above
Monster Hunter Leak - See above
4chan Leaker #2 - See above
Neoseeker Leak (#2) - Said that certain stages would return, but did not include Final Destination, Jungle Japes, or Halberd
ErenJager Leak - Said Skull Kid was "snorlax with a moon"
"Mew2King" Leak - Said Ridley was playable
Hanafuda Leak (#2) - See above
Gaxel's Friend Leak - See above
Generic Gamefaqs Leak - See above
NotSakurai Leak - See above
Neoseeker Leak (#1) - See above
Burger Dude Leak - See above
Tabuu Leak - See above
E3 2014 4chan Leaker - See above
Spacechannel5 Leak - Said that the target release date was June
Neogaf Rumor - Said that the target release date was in the Spring of 2014
E Gadd Leak - Said Ridley was a boss (and that Midna would be an assist trophy with Wolf Link)
4chan Leaker #1 - Said Palutena would be the next newcomer revealed
Random Username Leaker - Said Tom Nook was an assist trophy
Neato Fabulous Leak - Said Ridley was an assist trophy
Copmparison Man Leak - Said Ridley was a boss
"Seems Legit" Leak - Said Louie would use flying pikmin, but Olimar has been confirmed to use those
Sheriff Leak - Said Wii U would be released in Fall and 3DS in Winter

Live:

Jumpman Leak

[COLLAPSE="Killable By:"]
  • Exclusion of Mewtwo, Dixie, Mii, Jumpman, ROB or Lucario
  • Inclusion of Snake
  • Roster exceeding "around 40 characters"
  • Exclusion of Bowser Jr. Assist Trophy
  • Exclusion of Cannon Box item

GameFAQs PM Leak *
  • Exclusion of "Super Amazing Wagon Adventure U" stage
  • Exclusion of "Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo" Assist Trophy
OP: http://pastebin.com/MazHmmzn
[/COLLAPSE]
Illiterate Leak (#1) *
  • Exclusion of Lor Starcutter (Wii U), Pokemon World Tournament (3DS), or Prison Island (Wii U) stages
  • Exclusion of Little Mac, Mii, Shulk, Anna, Pacman, Palutena, Mewtwo, Ness, Jigglypuff, Yoshi, Ganondorf or Falco
OP: http://pastebin.com/WRXmEfyU
[/COLLAPSE]
Generic Short New Namco Leak
  • Exclusion of Mii, Ike, Ness, ROB, Little Mac, K. Rool, Mewtwo
OP: http://pastebin.com/cZ8qH1Dj
[/COLLAPSE]
Naryol Leak
  • Inclusion of Geno or Goku
  • Roster with more or less than 42 characters
  • More or less than 3 third parties
  • Inclusion of Ridley, King K Rool, or Bowser Jr. as playable characters
  • Exclusion of Lucario or R.O.B
OP: http://pastebin.com/uVmHnZXC
[/COLLAPSE]
"ChaosZero" Leak
  • Inclusion of King K Rool and Ridley as playable characters
  • Dixie Kong being partnered with Diddy
  • Online mode without the ability to host rooms or choose what items are available
[/COLLAPSE]
Mjardo Leak
  • Exclusion of Dixie Kong, Prince Sable, a different retro newcomer, Lucas, and a Pokemon Trainer-like character
  • Exclusion of a Tropical Freeze stage
[/COLLAPSE]
Angry Leak
  • Exclusion of Palutena, Little Mac, and Ridley
  • Exclusion of Ridley as a stage hazard (yes, he's both)
  • Inclusion of King K Rool or Geno
  • Exclusion of Sami and Primid as assist trophies
  • Exclusion of Pokemon Stadium 3, Nintendo Land, and Miiverse stages
[/COLLAPSE]
4chan Leaker (#3)
  • Exclusion of E Gadd and Tingle
[/COLLAPSE]
Neoseeker Leak (#3)
  • Exclusion of Mii, Shulk, Bandana Dee, and Prince Sable as playable characters
  • Exclusion of Richard, Tails, Yveltal, and Arceus as pokeball pokemon/assist trophies
  • Exclusion of an "X" stage, a DKC:TF stage, and a Wonderful 101 stage
  • Exclusion of Sector 4
[/COLLAPSE]
RosalinaX Leak
  • Final roster being more or less than 48 characters
  • The amount of cuts being more or less than 4
[/COLLAPSE]
The LeakE3 + More
[collapse="Killable By:"]
  • Exclusion of Mii, Pac-Man, Shulk, Palutena, Chrom, and Chorus Men
[/collapse]

[collapse="Vague Leaks"]
Just for future reference, I haven't added the extremely vague leaks, but if you would like to view them, here are the links
http://smashboards.com/threads/ssb4-rumours-and-leaks.338842/page-405#post-16370074 (Xplizit)
http://smashboards.com/threads/ssb4-rumours-and-leaks.338842/page-406#post-16370456 (Xplizit #2)
[/collapse]
[/COLLAPSE]
There's the post. It isn't updated or anything (we only got 2 or 3 new leaks in the past hundred pages or so).
As stated before, I'm thinking about removing the Gamefaqs PM leak. I'm not even sure if its a serious leak to be honest.

And yes, there's 12 leaks present in the post (excluding the vague one)

Last edited:

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
it wouldn't prove Sal's leak wrong if we get more than 47, just the MK8 leak.
I know, I said having only 47, three of which are sixth representatives for Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon, would contradict the Sal leak which says we have at least 47 and none of those first 47 are sixth representatives.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I was going to do this earlier but real life comes first. I'm going to post this one last thing and leave it at that. In the end, it does matter because the roster is what it is and the people here aren't going to change their minds no matter what. The problem with the rumor is that people want to believe it that evidence get twisted or ignored.

When you analyze anything, you review the facts and date, and then make a conclusion. With this rumor, the stance has been to come to a conclusion then try to fit the evidence to the conclusion. You can see this in numerous situations. This is what we call confirmation bias. What is confirmation bias you ask? Well,

In psychology and cognitive science, confirmation bias (or confirmatory bias) is a tendency to search for or interpret information in a way that confirms one's preconceptions, leading to statistical errors.
Confirmation bias is a phenomenon wherein decision makers have been shown to actively seek out and assign more weight to evidence that confirms their hypothesis, and ignore or underweigh evidence that could disconfirm their hypothesis.

So basically, confirmation bias is when you try to prove your own conclusion first and skew the rest. It's no surprise that when confronted with specific issues with the leak, that it's believers attempt to rationalize it away rather than look at it first. As I mentioned before, there are three major issues that this rumor runs into. One of the most drastic of those was the fact that the characters were not shown at E3 despite the rumor specifically saying they were to be shown. If we apply the same criteria that is applied to other rumors, you'd assume that it might not be true, as something he said would happen didn't. What many people did was assume that the characters were pushed back and they would be shown at a later date. While possible, it's not very probably as it is more likely that the characters were not to be shown at the event than Nintendo removing the reveals at the last minute. Not to mention that Pac-Man and Mii were not shown despite the fact that they would have been far enough along to show almost a year ago if we believe the rumor.

Still don't believe me? Consider the Greninja reveal. After it, many people here said "He got Greninja right!" That is actually an incorrect statement. He never said "Greninja" would be in. He specifically said "Pokemon from Pokemon X and Y" (link if you don't believe me). This is very different. He didn't get Greninja right. He was right that there was a Pokemon from Pokemon X and Y." However, what people did was assume he knew the character when he never specifically said that character was in the game. This is confirmation bias. People want to believe the leak is real, so they skew the information to fit their ideas. Here, he was assumed to have gotten Greninja right, even though he never said Greninja. He only said a new Pokemon from X and Y was coming. This is looking at the conclusion before the evidence. Instead, let's consider the evidence. He didn't state that a character would be added but a character from a group would be. With many of his other characters, he was specific. But here, he is not. Also, if he has a credible source, then the source would know the characters names. If he knew what the character looked like, then he would have been able to describe the character "He's a Pokemon. He's blue, a frog with a tongue scarf." Conversely, how would the leaker only know that he was from Pokemon X/Y and not know his name or what he looked like. He would probably have to know who he was to identify that he was from a specific game. Based on this, it doesn't seem very likely that he would have a source because he didn't have a name or description. In fact, it seems more likely that he didn't have any information, and "Pokemon from X and Y" was a safe guess. it would make sense because while you can be specific with Shulk and Plautena, it's hard to do the same with Pokemon. In the new game, it could be any one of 70 characters, and that's a lot of chances you could be wrong. It's safe to say there will be a new Pokemon, and it would likely be true because every Smash game has added a new Pokemon. No surprise he was right and no surprise everyone eat it up when Greninja was announced. So let's take a look at the three issues I brought up before
  1. He never stated he had a source until after the characters were revealed. It was a prediction up until that point.
  2. He stated the characters were to be shown at E3, but the characters were not shown at E3. Two characters have yet to be seen.
  3. He stated a Pokemon from X and Y would be included instead of saying a specific character (Here, Greninja)
Now, what you should do is consider these as a whole. What many people do is assume he was right and then add rational for the following. What happens is that you have three different scenarios to explain this. First, he didn't say he had a source because he wasn't sure that the source was credible. Of course, this is silly because all new sites post rumors regardless of their credibility. Then, the characters weren't shown at E3 because they were pushed back. Again, a little silly because it seem strange that Nintendo would show off so many characters (more than Brawl) and then half that. Not to mention that almost a year later we only know 6 characters. My favorite is that the information came from two different sources. Then, they say he didn't know Greninja because either him or the source doesn't know Pokemon (forget using Google or describing the characters). That's three different explanations to explain some of the issues with one rumor. See how it's more silly and preposterous. One could be possible. Two maybe. But three separate issues? It's like a bird with one wing. It just doesn't fly. Occam's Razor is the simplest answer is the best. So what's the simplest answer? He made it up. First he never said a source before because there was no rumor. No need to claim you have info until your right. Third, they weren't shown at E3 because, in the end, he didn't know anymore than the rest of us. And third, he gave a broad category because he doesn't have information. So it's safe to say a New Pokemon will be added. So I can explain all three with one answer. Because they are related, it makes more sense he made it up.

"But Smashchu! What about Wii Fit Trainer? He got that right." That is true. However, it was likely a lucky guess. "How can you say that. Isn't it silly and preposterous that he just guessed this character." Not necessarily. It has been shown that Wii Fit Trainer was talked about somewhat. However, it's not unreasonable to think that someone got her right. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of predictions made. It's possible that someone got that character right. Also, when you look a all the other evidence, it seems more likely he made it up rather than he had a source and there are a lot of suspicious instances. Again, it's weighting the evidence. What happened is that him and others committed the Texas Shapshooter Fallacy. I've mentioned it before here, but here is a quick refresher. It stems from a shooter firing at a barn. When he noticed the shots clustered, he drew a target on it. The same happened here. When he got an character not many people thought of, he drew the target. Just because he got something right doesn't mean he has inside information. Especially when you consider what I mentioned before. Also, it's not unlikely for people to guess characters. On 4Chan, minutes before, someone posted that "Suppose a new Pokemon was announced, who do you want." and he posted a picture of Greninja. Of course, he did better than Sal did, but no one thought he had inside information.

There are other things as well. One thing to look back is the Chaos Zero leak. He knew characters specific names and other content in the game (Final Destination, Stage Builder, and the Dragoon). Sal only said characters and nothing else which is unlikely because if someone had inside information, they would know more than just character names. Other rumors had similar information like character's abilities or other game content. Also, Sal's last rumor was done right before a direct. It seems strange that the guy would wait 10 months before giving more info, and do it right before Nintendo gives more info. Many people questions why he would lie. It would hurt his site's reputation. It's because it's click bait. Basically, the rumors exist for traffic. Here is what I mean. The website is beat by GameXplain and Malstrom's blog for numbers of searches. Note that Malstrom hasn't posted much recently. In otherwords, Sal's website is very no name. How can you improve searches? Why, have a fake rumor of course. And since he got Wii Fit Trainer right, it's even better. Now you can drive hits to your site. Why did he get information before the direct. Because the direct would bring in more hits for Smash info. It's also why he had a lot of safe guesses. So long as none of those characters are specifically deconfirmed, it's no problem.

You may wonder where I'm getting some of these later ideas from. Again, it all stems for the fact that I considered the evidence first, then drew a conclusion. Even though he got WFT right, there were still a lot of other issues that didn't make sense. Weighting the evidence, it seemed more likely he didn't know anything and was able to guess. It them drew from there and I can explain some more of the other small inconsistencies (why doesn't he have other information, why did the last leak come hours before the direct and not any time else in the last 10 months). It also explains why he made an account on Smashboards to make 1 post after the characters weren't shown at E3. One of the things about confirmation bias is that it usually happens when emotions take over. It's no surprise that a lot of people celebrated after Greninja came out and they can claim "They leak is true. See. See." The people here want it to be true. This is also why there is this double standard where if the littlest thing is wrong, the rumor is false whereas when this was wrong everyone ignored it. Looking back at the Brawl leaks, everyone hated them because they didn't fit what they wanted for the game. So much so that mods actually deleted them. I suspect there will be more of an outcry when a real leak comes though. I also expect many of the people listening to this one would be upset if such a situation occurred. To close, don't jump the gun. People were smart with the Plautena leak because they tried to disprove it first. By being unable to do so, they gave it credibility. It's credibility was earned, not assumed.

Well, that's that. There may be some editing and other issues I missed, but I need to head to bed. I wont really reply to this unless there is a question. Again, people who believe the leak wont change their minds and the roster will be whatever it is regardless. Till next time!

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I saw this and was thinking the same thing. Maybe it's more time-sensitive material that can't be shared, but it's gonna suck if the mods know something and we don't! D:

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
@ SmashChu SmashChu I like the scientific approach you are taking, but there are a few details you forgot about in regards to the situation with Sal. First, he has leaked correct information on video games in the past, giving us all the more reason to believe that he really might have a source and have inside information about these games. Second, he e-mailed Gematsu before E3 telling them that this was inside information, so it was not that he later claimed it was real; he claimed it was real from the start but, so as not to ruin his reputation if by some chance the info turned out to be false (perhaps this source is a new one from the ones he has gotten his information from in the past?), he labeled it a "guess" instead of a leak on the forums.

Last edited:

Gaxel

Smash Ace
There's the post. It isn't updated or anything (we only got 2 or 3 new leaks in the past hundred pages or so).
As stated before, I'm thinking about removing the Gamefaqs PM leak. I'm not even sure if its a serious leak to be honest.

And yes, there's 12 leaks present in the post (excluding the vague one)
Why is Ridley considered non-playable? Did I miss something?

Last edited:

TYBG

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I've been using this thread to keep tabs on leaks for a long time, and in light of Sal Romano's leak I'd really like to say something.

I've been a lurker on this site for a long time, since Brawl's pre-release period (I think I made an account on a now-defunct email address, but that is neither here nor there) and I really want to remind you guys about something that happened in the months leading up to Brawl coming out.

I don't remember the fine details but there was a leak that came out near the japanese release of the game that stated the game had only 35 total characters in it. We referred to it as the "35 character leak." We discounted it almost immediately. 35 was an impossibly low number, and it had ridiculous characters like Toon Link and Wolf. "Who is toon link?" people asked. Most importantly, though, it included R.O.B, which we thought was ludicrous. We didn't think he had a unique moveset capability, we figured he was more a peripheral than a real character, and we saw him in the cutscene for the Subspace Emissary that was released on the Dojo. We figured that deconfirmed him.

But months later, as japenese players got their hands on early copies, the info began to trickle out. We saw the cutscene where Ancient Minister becomes R.O.B uploaded onto YouTube and our hearts sank. This was something that to us was impossible. Despite this though, people still considered it a "lucky guess" and held out hope for as long as possible that we would get more than 35 characters (seriously this number was crazy low to us, rosters were being proposed with 45+ characters in them).

But then Wolf and Toon Link were found in the adventure mode by Japanese players. That was it. The leak was true the whole time and had been for months and months.

I have a gut feeling history could be repeating itself here. All I'm saying is, don't discount anything until it's COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY disproven. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

Last edited:

Gaxel

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I've been using this thread to keep tabs on leaks for a long time, and in light of Sal Romano's leak I'd really like to say something.

I've been a lurker on this site for a long time, since Brawl's pre-release period (I think I made an account on a now-defunct email address, but that is neither here nor there) and I really want to remind you guys about something that happened in the months leading up to Brawl coming out.

I don't remember the fine details but there was a leak that came out near the japanese release of the game that stated the game had only 35 total characters in it. We referred to it as the "35 character leak." We discounted it almost immediately. 35 was an impossibly low number, and it had ridiculous characters like Toon Link and Wolf. "Who is toon link?" people asked. Most importantly, though, it included R.O.B, which we thought was ludicrous. We didn't think he had a unique moveset capability, we figured he was more a peripheral than a real character, and we saw him in the cutscene for the Subspace Emissary that was released on the Dojo. We figured that deconfirmed him.

But months later, as japenese players got their hands on early copies, the info began to trickle out. We saw the cutscene where Ancient Minister becomes R.O.B uploaded onto YouTube and our hearts sank. This was something that to us was impossible. Despite this though, people still considered it a "lucky guess" and held out hope for as long as possible that we would get more than 35 characters (seriously this number was crazy low to us, rosters were being proposed with 45+ characters in them).

But then Wolf and Toon Link were found in the adventure mode by Japanese players. That was it. The leak was true the whole time and had been for months and months.

I have a gut feeling history could be repeating itself here. All I'm saying is, don't discount anything until it's COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY disproven. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.
I was expecting:

"Hi guys, I've been a lurker here since pre-brawl and I have some info on the new Sm4sh"

Props to you.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Let's see some of the reasons currently:
-Mewtwo will get the "last" Pokemon spot.
-low priority in Brawl.

That's all I can list really.

Mewtwo support died way too fast here, it's unbelievable.
I find it funny how you say Jiggs was low priority but still made it back before Mewtwo. If Jiggs is low priority then what is Mewtwo?

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I agree that the Sal leak is probably true, but I think that there will be less disappointment this time.
People are already more willing to believe this leak, and I genuinely don't think it has revealed all the newcomers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom