• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So, I guess Diddy Kong is currently being worked on... Sakurai needs to complete him before he can show him off on the SSB4 website and promote Tropical Freeze...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Still doesn't change that factor that it's been roughly 7 months and counting with no sign of these supposed completed characters.
This is insinuating that it's unusual for us to not know which newcomers are in the game before they're revealed.

If anything, the two newcomers with the most signs of being in the game are Little Mac and the Mii, based on the stages, which really isn't much, but it's more than any other unrevealed character as of now, aside from the ones Sakurai mentioned by name in interviews, Falcon and the Ice Climbers, and maaaaaybe Ridley.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Alright, um...

Hello. I'm APC99. Your new OP. I'd like to start by saying, I'll be updating the OP with the rumors as they pop up, but I'd appreciate some help. If people could PM me the older rumors from the thread, I'll add them to the OP as I have the time. The OP shall be updated with at least 3 new rumors tonight, but I look forward to leading the facepalming at GameFAQs and contemplating the mysteries of the mind of Sakurai.

So, LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!
Finally, a thread of yours I don't hate. srsly tho gratz

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
While I enjoy these silly leaks, I tend to discard any that claim to be from the development team. It's unlikely anyone would risk their career to reveal such information. The leaks coming close to release make a lot more sense, as it has left the exclusive purview of the developers, and is exposed to all manner of other parties.

Rouge

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't there a leak close to release with someone basically name dropping 95% of the cast including R.O.B.? Then when Smash came out in Japan and his spoilers were confirmed, he backpedaled. IIRC, he said that he just got lucky and predicted the cast based on where the starters were placed in the character selection screen that was shown in one of the Dojo updates. But most didn't believe his retraction because his explanation didn't make much sense, especially when it came to R.O.B. Anyone remembers this?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
anybody have a link where sakurai said the final roster was finalized?
According to GDC 2008, the roster plan (which included the cut characters) was finalized bar Sonic in July 2005 within the finalized design documents, about 3 months before development began.

It's funny, but I always thought it was the end of 2006, though that may have been when all characters finished being developed. Could say it may change arguments about Lucas/Ike/Lucario who each debuted in 2005.

Ascended

Smash Ace
According to GDC 2008, the roster plan (which included the cut characters) was finalized bar Sonic in July 2005 within the finalized design documents, about 3 months before development began.

It's funny, but I always thought it was the end of 2006, though that may have been when all characters finished being developed. Could say it may change arguments about Lucas/Ike/Lucario who each debuted in 2005.
So it wouldn't be unusual for characters to appear in Smash 4 whose games were still in development while Smash 4 was in the planning stages.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
There were two people who were right: ChaosZero and NyaseNya.

NyaseNya said that Sonic Ness, Toon Link, Jigglypuff, Sonic and Olimar were in. She claimed that Sonic would be shown on Wednesday. Her leak wasn't liked because she said the game would have been delayed and Megaman was not in the game. Despite being right, her thread was locked.

ChaosZero said Wolf, Lucario, Sheik, Falco, Ganondorf, and Captain Falcon. He described the item that would be the Dragoon. There was less of an issue of his leak because of the dragoon being so specific where, with NyasNya, everyone expected Sonic and his reveal coincided with a conference.

Both were very late. NyasNya was in October and ChaosZero was in December/January. They never had the whole picture and they knew specific information. There are some other guys who had the number of stages and ROB. I don't remember them. I don't think they said anything that could be proven before the game released. I think it got swept under the rug. They were MarkMan, Reno, & PORTRAITofRUIN. Here is a thread for all the leak.

At this point, it's fake. When the character weren't revealed at E3, the guy backpedaled hard and claimed Nintendo must have caught wind of it. This is in spite of the fact that these conferences are planned in advance and his rumor didn't really get out until the second day of the three day conference. 5 months later, we have 20 characters on the site (21 with Dedede) and the last newcomer was Rosalina. If these characters were planned to be shown in July, why have they not shown them off yet and instead opted for a character who may not have been ready. It was bogus to start and it's more bogus now.

Theres a lot more going for littlemac,pacman, and mii than just the leak. arguing back and forth about them not being revealed at E3 ignores the human element that something as simple as sakurai or someone deciding: "eh' 3 reveals is enough lets not over do it" and changing things at the last minute. This can easily happen OR even more likely the "leaker" SAW 6 characters and assumed theyd be revealed while nintendo all along planned to reveal just 3 but had a game with all 6 behind the curtains at the convention.

regardless those 3 are imo MORE likely than the 3 we actually got. pre-E3 we knew namco was working on the game and had no knowledge of capcom at all so pacman was more likely than megaman/ mii's are in EVERYTHING and no one was guessing wii fit trainer so mii's were more likely then her (seriously who guessers her, this right here should be enough to know the guy had legit info)/ little-mac had a game AFTER brawl came out and was an assist trophy in the last game where as sakurai had flat out said an animal crossing character wouldn't make sense as a fighter.

point being, the 3 that got revealed were the UNLIKELY ones, the 3 we didnt get were the more likely 3 AND we continue to get evidence that they are in the game: boxing stage/pilotwings stage having the wii resort/ and again the fact that namco is working on the game etc...

you can dismiss it as fake if you want but i say brace yourself for the reveals, just look at the brawl leaks you posted and the negative reactions they got even when the evidence started to point to them being true.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
So it wouldn't be unusual for characters to appear in Smash 4 whose games were still in development while Smash 4 was in the planning stages.
Potentially. Roy, Xerneas, and Windy Hill Zone other good examples of this.

That said, at the current time I wouldn't say there are any recent characters who fit this except for the Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3. Most Nintendo games recently haven't introduced that many new important or notable characters. Honestly if the game wasn't in development back in 2012 it probably shouldn't be considered to fit into this.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck

That link was a very good read, thanks for sharing.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
what i fear is that the other 3 where meant for this upcoming e3
They could still be shown at E3.

The rumor was so minimally know of, that it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I mean c'mon... how many people who follow Smash do you think know that rumor=???

Maybe 5% of smashers top know of the rumor, most of which probably doubt it, despite all evidence pointing towards playable Miis and Little Mac.

If I was in charge of revealing characters, I'd want them out of the way at E3. I'd also reveal a good batch of returning veterans as well. ;)
Going off some old gamefaqs thread I found, apparently the whole roster was 'confirmed' a few days before the Japanese release date.
No.

It was first leaked to Serebii (a Pokémon fan site), or at least the owner of said site around September (Lucario in, Jiggs is back, Mewtwo is gone). He didn't have any information on the rest of the roster to reveal, although he might have known the whole roster.

The full roster was leaked in October and November from 2 or 3 sources (probably the same person), or around whenever the E For All demo in Los Angeles happened. There was so much hype around then it is hard to keep track of what happened and when!!! :rotfl:

Barely anyone believed any of the roster stuff, sans some of us believing the Serebii site runner, because Serebii is generally accurate with rumors, especially one that they'll come out with like that (now Nintendo literally stops that site from leaking stuff, lol).

The reason no one believed that rumor is it came out at a time when fake rosters were at a all-time high, and it was just another crazy rumor with no logical basis, especially since Ness was "deconfirmed" (boy were we stupid).

People believed it way more when we saw Ness, Lucario, and Jigglypuff (via that accidental reveal; thanks stickers!). Then, once ROB was revealed, we knew it was 100% legitimate.

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
I don't know if this belongs here but a GameFAQs user called RockmanPeru has posted a supposed list of upcoming announcements and development information for future Nintendo games from a supposedly reliable source originating from 4chan; one of which is that the Mii is going to be revealed as a playable character in a future announcement. Here's the list in question:

Pokemon X Tekken. Roster of fighting types and humanoid Pokemon. Hawlucha/Lucario/Blaziken are the poster boys. Will be ready for Fall, unless delayed, but scuttlebutt is that it may be held off to give distance from Smash. Will use NFC.
)Pokemon X Animal Crossing is being announced for hype, but the intention is to release 2015. 3DS. You are a human who is transformed into Pikachu/Chespin/Fennekin/Froakie. Villagers are baby/basic Pokemon and other cute ones. Diggersby takes on Tom Nook role.
)Seaman: Mysterious Pet With The Human Face for 3DS. 2014. Sequel to Seaman.
)Glory of Heracles 3DS. 2014.
)Metroid Fracture 3DS Fall/Winter 2014. Intends to hit after Smash to one-two the hardcore audience on 3DS. 2.5D, Super Metroid art-style.
)Custom Robo and Starfy sequels coming to eShop. Franchises/developers deemed too small for retail. Custom Robo August, Starfy April.
)TGC Battle Simulator coming to Wii U. New cards will be readable via NFC for in-game play. Spiritual sequel to TGC GB games.
)Rhythm Heaven: 3Dance to be big casual title 2014.
)’X’ is Xenodoll in Japan. Treehouse rocked with laughter, apparently waiting on legal for final Western name.
)Steeldivers Subwars launching post-Direct. Strategic announcement to appease ‘IOS’ investors. F2P is great for players, lucky to make any money off it. Bosses apparently very worried about ripping people off. Too worried.
)Mii for Smash 4 announcement. JP will feature Iwata Mii footage, US Reggie, EU Shibata. Trailer will start with a Wii Sports Club Baseball fake-out.
)IntSys has Hikuoku for eShop, sequel to Crashmo for Wii U. Heard US name was Puzzmo. Still sounds dumb, but better then Puzzblox, poor EU. Players pull blocks from gamepad to fit inside a structure to reach goal.
)Dillion is coming to U eShop. Had bigger plans for franchise, but poor sales of sequel got them downgraded. Vanpool is on shaky ground after PMSS was poorly received in West.
)MK8 is launching April 3rd in JP. Shipments will be counted as Q4FY2014 – basically a business move.
)MK8 is eating resources at EAD. Over 140 people on staff, mostly old Pikmin/Nintendo Land people. E3 2013 build had ~13 months of dev time. Once done, bulk of staff moves to ACU and Zelda U. Bosses want one out for Christmas this year. Lots of sleepless nights.
)Zelda U is a bit of a mess due to Aonuma focusing on WWHD and ALBW. Miyamoto had to step in. No tea table flipping, just a casual reminder to the team what Zelda was about. Graphically it looks ok, but artists can’t keep up with production + constant dungeon layout changes. Gameplay uses 2-screen secret discovery gimmick that was for a scrapped new franchise. ALBW being received well has encouraged the team.
)SNES Remix is a possibility. NES Remix apparently already broke short term expectations. That’s Tokyo though, so may be more wishful thinking than knowledge.
)Old guard struggling with HD. What they think is fine, new grads and young staff say needs more time. This is what is delaying projects. G&W was supposed to be out 3 weeks after launch but graphically wasn’t ready. Bosses getting impatient, need software done yesterday.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I don't know if this belongs here but a GameFAQs user called RockmanPeru has posted a supposed list of upcoming announcements and development information for future Nintendo games from a supposedly reliable source originating from 4chan; one of which is that the Mii is going to be revealed as a playable character in a future announcement. Here's the list in question:

Pokemon X Tekken. Roster of fighting types and humanoid Pokemon. Hawlucha/Lucario/Blaziken are the poster boys. Will be ready for Fall, unless delayed, but scuttlebutt is that it may be held off to give distance from Smash. Will use NFC.
)Pokemon X Animal Crossing is being announced for hype, but the intention is to release 2015. 3DS. You are a human who is transformed into Pikachu/Chespin/Fennekin/Froakie. Villagers are baby/basic Pokemon and other cute ones. Diggersby takes on Tom Nook role.
)Metroid Fracture 3DS Fall/Winter 2014. Intends to hit after Smash to one-two the hardcore audience on 3DS. 2.5D, Super Metroid art-style.
)Custom Robo and Starfy sequels coming to eShop. Franchises/developers deemed too small for retail. Custom Robo August, Starfy April.
)TGC Battle Simulator coming to Wii U. New cards will be readable via NFC for in-game play. Spiritual sequel to TGC GB games.
)’X’ is Xenodoll in Japan. Treehouse rocked with laughter, apparently waiting on legal for final Western name.
)Steeldivers Subwars launching post-Direct. Strategic announcement to appease ‘IOS’ investors. F2P is great for players, lucky to make any money off it. Bosses apparently very worried about ripping people off. Too worried.
)Mii for Smash 4 announcement. JP will feature Iwata Mii footage, US Reggie, EU Shibata. Trailer will start with a Wii Sports Club Baseball fake-out.
)IntSys has Hikuoku for eShop, sequel to Crashmo for Wii U. Heard US name was Puzzmo. Still sounds dumb, but better then Puzzblox, poor EU. Players pull blocks from gamepad to fit inside a structure to reach goal.
)Dillion is coming to U eShop. Had bigger plans for franchise, but poor sales of sequel got them downgraded. Vanpool is on shaky ground after PMSS was poorly received in West.
)MK8 is launching April 3rd in JP. Shipments will be counted as Q4FY2014 – basically a business move.
)MK8 is eating resources at EAD. Over 140 people on staff, mostly old Pikmin/Nintendo Land people. E3 2013 build had ~13 months of dev time. Once done, bulk of staff moves to ACU and Zelda U. Bosses want one out for Christmas this year. Lots of sleepless nights.
)Zelda U is a bit of a mess due to Aonuma focusing on WWHD and ALBW. Miyamoto had to step in. No tea table flipping, just a casual reminder to the team what Zelda was about. Graphically it looks ok, but artists can’t keep up with production + constant dungeon layout changes. Gameplay uses 2-screen secret discovery gimmick that was for a scrapped new franchise. ALBW being received well has encouraged the team.
)SNES Remix is a possibility. NES Remix apparently already broke short term expectations. That’s Tokyo though, so may be more wishful thinking than knowledge.
)Old guard struggling with HD. What they think is fine, new grads and young staff say needs more time. This is what is delaying projects. G&W was supposed to be out 3 weeks after launch but graphically wasn’t ready. Bosses getting impatient, need software done yesterday.
The two pokemon crossovers sorta threw me off, but the rest seems pretty believable, (new metroid for 3ds would be hype) and there's obviously going to be a fakeout trailer for the next newcomer. What's ACU?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Nothing too unbelievable except for the Pokemon X Animal Crossing and Pokemon X Tekken although with how hard the Custom Robo and Starfy games tanked outside of Japan I wouldn't be surprised if they were put on an extended hiatus.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Animal Crossing x Pokemon seems interesting... I would love to have Meowth as my neighbor! I love cat villagers the most. :awesome:

Starfy sequel only in EShop, well that's seriously underwhelming. :(
Be grateful that Starfy is getting a new game! ...if that rumor is true...

MasteRMerF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasteRMerF
3DS FC
5000-2607-1297
"Pokemon X Tekken. Roster of fighting types and humanoid Pokemon. Hawlucha/Lucario/Blaziken are the poster boys. Will be ready for Fall, unless delayed, but scuttlebutt is that it may be held off to give distance from Smash. Will use NFC."
...Go on...

Ascended

Smash Ace

While SNES Remix and a Rolling Western Wii U sound awesome, most of this sounds more like a wishlist than a leak.

Kel

Smash Master
I was more weary of the Pokémon X Tekken thing....But then I remembered Zelda Samurai Warriors so whatever, it's plausible!

Too bad he doesn't mention a date for the Mii direct.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

It is quite believable and I do hope it is true... but who knows.

Pokémon x Animal Crossing, eh? Interesting.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Metroid Fracture sounds lovely, but I'm not really inclined to believe that a guy who previously made a Smash Mugen thread suddenly knows every internal piece of information about Nintendo's current projects.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
He apparently had a source:

I don't know if this belongs here but a GameFAQs user called RockmanPeru has posted a supposed list of upcoming announcements and development information for future Nintendo games from a supposedly reliable source originating from 4chan
Then again, said source is said to be from 4chan, so we all know how reliable that is.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Well according to that RockmanPeru guy on GameFAQs, we'll see something "before this month ends".

So we won't have to wait long to prove him right/wrong.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Luigi's Mansion 2? I would love that. Also, I'm probably a masochist but I'd kill for a Luigi Mansion X Resident Evil crossover where you explore the mansion from the first game. For whatever reason the idea of a Luigi's Mansion that's legitimately scary has a lot of appeal to me.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
If that leak is true, being that Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was my first Sonic game (had the Sega Genesis that came with Sonic 2 bundled in), Emerald Hill would make me really happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom