• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOURCE: Solid Snake Will Not Return To Smash + More..

Was it a good decision not to add Snake to Smash 4?

• Yes

Votes: 128 37.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 51 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 162 47.5%

• Total voters

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Well, he'd be under contract not to say his fate. But yeah, he probably knew of the cut but had to keep his cool overall. Who knows.
If he was under contract does that mean that at one point they were in discussion about snake's inclusion?
Also on the comic con part I heard it from discussion on the fourms, someone brought it up in the snake thread and one person mentioned it on the stream topic.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If he was under contract does that mean that at one point they were in discussion about snake's inclusion?
Also on the comic con part I heard it from discussion on the fourms, someone brought it up in the snake thread and one person mentioned it on the stream topic.
I think this is the case. Not what the "article" says. But who knows.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The amount of yes's for sakurai cutting snake is sickening, I really hate people.
It's what happens when these Smash Foursies don't play Brawl or Project M, and think they know about the characters in those games better than everyone else. :facepalm:

(or people dislike aggro zoners, which I don't get, since Smash is lacking them. Even top aggro Melee players liked Snake in Smash)
So does that bring up their credibility or lower it?
I'm curious to know if fox contacted the source or the source contacted them, the article left out some necessary details like that.
Well Fox News as a non-political news source is top notch. Fox News as a political commentary source is generally trash, lol.

So I would say it lowers the credibility from like "very credible" to "I don't know" in my eyes (because I don't know the source well).

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
So could Nintendo contact fox news for the source's identity or no? I mean I do

I thought the reason given for no lords of the shadows 2 was because of a lack of resources. In later interview the developers stated when asked about a wii u version that they wouldn't rule it out.
Link to the article, I'm interested in reading
Right. I remember reading that too. But when you think of resources, you should immediately think money. Because the money isn't there, Konami probably didn't think it was worth working on a Wii U port because there would be no return in profits.

Here's the article (PS: I was mistaken- this interview was indeed in 2013. I must be confusing myself with something else from Konami and it just might be over Lords of Shadow 2)

It is really depressing...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well Fox News as a non-political news source is top notch. Fox News as a political commentary source is generally trash, lol.

So I would say it lowers the credibility from like "very credible" to "I don't know" in my eyes (because I don't know the source well).
Fox News and Fox Weekly are two unique companies. Different thing. So the credibility can't be based upon the exact company, but could be based upon the fact the source is anonymous.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Right. I remember reading that too. But when you think of resources, you should immediately think money. Because the money isn't there, Konami probably didn't think it was worth working on a Wii U port because there would be no return in profits.

Here's the article (PS: I was mistaken- this interview was indeed in 2013. I must be confusing myself with something else from Konami and it just might be over Lords of Shadow 2)

It is really depressing...
I read that, I don't really like adam bhatti. He said there would be no pes 14 for 3ds, but there actually ended up pes 14 for the 3ds. Although it was japan only, so I guess this guy didn't know, considering he works for konami europe. Probably doesn't know much given he over looked pes 14 for the 3ds.
I wish konami would give support us too, but we're getting shafted by everyone now, even sega.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Warning Received
No ridley should have been in brawl, they have every right to complain. They are a consistently ignored fanbase that is large and has put up with being ignored for a long time.
We agree to disagree. But the forum moderators here agree with you. They are giving people forum infractions for saying Brawl and SSB4 is better off without Ridley as a playable character. I know this because I received a forum interaction here for this exact reason. It's exceedingly petty I know.

You know the funny thing. If Sakurai does something (as in leave Ridley out) people complain bitterly and call Sakurai harsh names and nothing happens. I say "I agree with Sakurai's decision here" and boom forum infraction for me. This is hardly fair.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
We agree to disagree. But the forum moderators here agree with you. They are giving people forum infractions for saying Brawl and SSB4 is better off without Ridley as a playable character. I know this because I received a forum interaction here for this exact reason. It's exceedingly petty I know.

You know the funny thing. If Sakurai does something (as in leave Ridley out) people complain bitterly and call Sakurai harsh names and nothing happens. I say "I agree with Sakurai's decision here" and boom forum infraction for me. This is hardly fair.
dont worry ive gotten my fair share as of late :S

Tumbleweed Tuner

Smash Apprentice
The problem with telling fans that the game is better off without Ridley, is that it is fight fuel. There may not be a faster way to derail a thread. Since Sakurai hasn't said, "Ridley makes the game worse" yet, it is rather insulting for someone else to try to force their opinion on us Ridley fans. Even if Sakurai does say that, it would not be respectful to throw that in faces. You could replace Ridley in this paragraph with every other character, but you are just going to be wrongly insulting people.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Removed for reasons. But yeah, don't put down people's characters. That's all I meant.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Why is everyone talking about Ridley and bias Mods when this is a topic about Snake being cut and the latter belonging in forum support? Please get back on topic.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I can't believe Sakurai would just decide to remove a character he put such thought and care into representing without a second thought, especially after bringing back Sonic. I'm sure Nintendo is ultimately behind this, whether due to not wanting to pay the costs for Snake or due to a poor relationship with Konami.

Yarlick

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1246-8724-8858
I think it's more because of the poor relationship between Konami and Nintendo than a problem of rights.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Some people in this thread are being ridiculous. The only newcomer I have a problem with in this game is Dark Pit. There is nothing wrong with any of the other newcomers, they have all been good choices. I love Snake just as much as the next guy but there is no need to crap on characters because the character you want did not make the game.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I'm just going to see if he says anything on the matter of snake. If he doesn't then nintendo is preventing him or he is planned as DLC or something. If if it was his descision (which I doubt), maybe he will say something?

Last edited:

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Some people in this thread are being ridiculous. The only newcomer I have a problem with in this game is Dark Pit. There is nothing wrong with any of the other newcomers, they have all been good choices. I love Snake just as much as the next guy but there is no need to crap on characters because the character you want did not make the game.
People are ridiculous because they don't have the same subjective thought on the roster as yours?
And as much as I "dislike" Dark Pit, to state your negative opinion of him as a solid fact everyone has to obey is too far.

I don't trust this "source" but I'm not surprised that Snake was cut.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
Someone rolled some dice and now theres an alternate timeline where there is a fire at Nintendo's house, Sakurai dies and we all become evil.

What is it with Dark characters anyway?

Dark Samus, Dark Link and Dark Pit, are evil clones still popular?
Whats so interesting about them?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it's good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans.
seems contradictory to this:
Furthermore, our source tells us that the inclusion of Solid Snake in Smash Bros. 4 was ‘not on Masahiro’s mind’ even before the game started development back in 2012.
What the source is claiming is what sakurai said he wasn't going to do.
So either sakurai lied or this source is lying. I know there isn't a big chance for him, but my mind isn't at ease with the thought that sakurai would simply brush snake off like that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I know there isn't a big chance for him, but my mind isn't at ease with the thought that sakurai would simply brush snake off like that.
Well, he never thought of putting him in till Kojima pushed him to do so. It's possible he doesn't actually care about the character as much as others, and does need incentive.

Not that I think it's likely, of course.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
It still really bothers me how many yes's there are. Yes snake should have never been in smash but once your unique and you grow an awesome fanbase which at that point you should support that fanbase by not being a **** and wanting their character to go away.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
Kojima himself said it was unlikely (the interviews with Geoff Keighly) Snake would be in, so it seems likely it was business realations and not lack of time for development or whatever else.

I don't think friendship between Sakurai and Kojima had anything to do with it, business between the parent companies they work for got in the way. Konami feel supporting Nintendo consoles isn't worthwhile, Nintendo wont be happy and put in a Rayman trophy as a FU (or not). Sega and Namco Bandai's relationships with Nintendo clearly are doing well referring to the Sonic and Zelda crossover for example and Pokemon Tekken and whatever the deal is with Shulk (I really dont know anything about Xenoblades).

Alternatively, perhaps Snake was sacrificed for a new character. Feeling that in a choice between Sonic and Snake, Snake would be easier to cut since keeping both would mean 5 guest characters in total which may have felt like too much.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Well, he never thought of putting him in till Kojima pushed him to do so. It's possible he doesn't actually care about the character as much as others, and does need incentive.
He stated he wants to bring back the characters to also make the fans happy. Snake gathered a pretty good fanbase over the years and was well received. I think those were factors he also looked for as well.

I also remember back in 2012 sakurai tweeted an image from a metal gear anniversary event, so sakurai and kojima friendship is still pretty good it seems and shows he likes metal gear.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He stated he wants to bring back the characters to also make the fans happy. Snake gathered a pretty good fanbase over the years and was well received. I think those were factors he also looked for as well.

I also remember back in 2012 sakurai tweeted an image from a metal gear anniversary event, so sakurai and kojima friendship is still pretty good it seems and shows he likes metal gear.
Well, if the earlier stuff is true(not this article mind you), Kojima apparently was never asked. So maybe he just wanted to be asked first? It's possible Kojima and Sakurai were both waiting to be asked. Whoops.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
A source close to Hideo Kojima who worked on Snake for Super Smash Bros. Brawl has confirmed to Fox Weekly that the beloved character Solid Snake ‘will not be returning’ to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS. Furthermore, our source tells us that the inclusion of Solid Snake in Smash Bros. 4 was ‘not on Masahiro’s mind’ even before the game started development back in 2012.
My dad works at Nintendo Konami too.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Well, if the earlier stuff is true(not this article mind you), Kojima apparently was never asked. So maybe he just wanted to be asked first? It's possible Kojima and Sakurai were both waiting to be asked. Whoops.
I wonder if kojima's comment got to sakurai, it did appear on many sites across the web, I'm sure he would have heard of it.
I don't think he ever said he wasn't contacted, if there is an article on that, i'd like to to see it.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Fox Weekly is a fake source with no credibility.
Well.

I'm calling bluff just going by the article itself.

"A source close to Hideo Kojima"

Kojima himself said that "he doesn't know." We know this to be true because the main said it himself in a video interview.

Why would some random buddy of Kojima's know about Snake when Kojima himself doesn't?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I wonder if kojima's comment got to sakurai, it did appear on many sites across the web, I'm sure he would have heard of it.
I don't think he ever said he wasn't contacted, if there is an article on that, i'd like to to see it.
It was in an online interview. He said that he doesn't know if Snake is in Smash and can't say, and hope Sakurai would consider it. I do not remember where it is. >_<

Well.

I'm calling bluff just going by the article itself.

"A source close to Hideo Kojima"

Kojima himself said that "he doesn't know." We know this to be true because the main said it himself in a video interview.

Why would some random buddy of Kojima's know about Snake when Kojima himself doesn't?
I didn't say the article itself was definitely real. I'm saying the site is more credible than you. The point is that making a sarcastic statement like that was useless. We know it's fishy. Read the whole topic and tons of people said it. Ignoring the "being from Fox News bit" even. I don't believe it either. I even think that the story is ridiculous myself.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
It was in an online interview. He said that he doesn't know if Snake is in Smash and can't say, and hope Sakurai would consider it. I do not remember where it is. >_<

I didn't say the article itself was definitely real. I'm saying the site is more credible than you. The point is that making a sarcastic statement like that was useless. We know it's fishy. Read the whole topic and tons of people said it. Ignoring the "being from Fox News bit" even. I don't believe it either. I even think that the story is ridiculous myself.
You mean the Geof podcast?
He said this:
"I'm not working on that game so I don't know, but I don't think that's likely. Well if Mr. Sakurai is watching this, please use Snake."
nothing about not being contacted.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The point is that making a sarcastic statement like that was useless.
Then you've completely missed the point of the comment.

I didn't think I needed a reason to make a "my dad works at Nintendo" joke. It's kind of pointless to even be on a forum anyway.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You mean the Geof podcast?
He said this:
"I'm not working on that game so I don't know, but I don't think that's likely. Well if Mr. Sakurai is watching this, please use Snake."
nothing about not being contacted.
Then I misremembered. Also, that does imply he wasn't contacted anyway. Wouldn't he know if he was working on the game? But it does make it sound like none of his team members would know, since I highly doubt he wouldn't know of them.

Then you've completely missed the point of the comment.

I didn't think I needed a reason to make a "my dad works at Nintendo" joke. It's kind of pointless to even be on a forum anyway.
The point is that extreme sarcasm isn't worth it. In case you hadn't noticed by now, you just started a pointless fight.

There's better ways to say "I doubt the validity of this" anyway. Plus, what makes you so sure I didn't get it? I did. The entire time. I just thought it was a useless thing to say. It makes me wonder if everyone else will. I hope so. >_<

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The point is that extreme sarcasm isn't worth it. In case you hadn't noticed by now, you just started a pointless fight.

There's better ways to say "I doubt the validity of this" anyway. Plus, what makes you so sure I didn't get it? I did. The entire time. I just thought it was a useless thing to say. It makes me wonder if everyone else will. I hope so. >_<
My intention was not to start a fight. If you can't look at an obviously sarcastic post and ignore it, that's not my problem.

But like I said, it is pointless to make the comment, but it's equally as pointless to even post on a forum in the first place.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Then I misremembered. Also, that does imply he wasn't contacted anyway. Wouldn't he know if he was working on the game? But it does make it sound like none of his team members would know, since I highly doubt he wouldn't know of them.
So I guess it could be used against this soruce? I've always found it fishy he said "IDK". Like how do you not know your character isn't in a game? I too also doubt that a "source close to hideo kojima" would know while kojima doesn't. Or at least claims not too.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Nintendo wont be happy and put in a Rayman trophy as a FU (or not). Sega and Namco Bandai's relationships with Nintendo clearly are doing well referring to the Sonic and Zelda crossover for example and Pokemon Tekken and whatever the deal is with Shulk (I really dont know anything about Xenoblades).

Alternatively, perhaps Snake was sacrificed for a new character. Feeling that in a choice between Sonic and Snake, Snake would be easier to cut since keeping both would mean 5 guest characters in total which may have felt like too much.
Shulk is a part of Nintendo (he's 2nd party, since Monolift Soft was the 1s who came up with him and pitched it to Nintendo (or was it the other way around?), he's no way a guest character in any shape or form, had Snake returned we would have had 4 3rd Party franchises repped in Smash (3 is the limit).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My intention was not to start a fight. If you can't look at an obviously sarcastic post and ignore it, that's not my problem.

But like I said, it is pointless to make the comment, but it's equally as pointless to even post on a forum in the first place.
I'm just going to facepalm and walk away from this conversation.

So I guess it could be used against this soruce? I've always found it fishy he said "IDK". Like how do you not know your character isn't in a game? I too also doubt that a "source close to hideo kojima" would know while kojima doesn't. Or at least claims not too.
I'm sure it's fake. We saw a render of the Exclamation Point from Snake's series. It's on the Renders topic in this forum. It sounded fishy, but that sells it for me. I'm sure he considered it now. I know there was a similar render in red-coloring for some of the SSE stuff, but this isn't the case. It's black-colored.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm just going to facepalm and walk away from this conversation.
I've no idea why you suddenly have a problem with me, mate. No skin off my back.

Anyway, it still stands that this "source" is just as bad as those "I work on Sakurai's development team 'leaks.'"

Artero

Smash Enthousiast
NNID
Artero
I'm a huge Metal Gear Solid fan, but honestly I couldn't care less about Snake being in Smash. It always felt wrong to me and while his move-set was unique, that doesn't automatically makes him interesting to play (which IMO he wasn't).

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I'm sure it's fake. We saw a render of the Exclamation Point from Snake's series. It's on the Renders topic in this forum. It sounded fishy, but that sells it for me. I'm sure he considered it now. I know there was a similar render in red-coloring for some of the SSE stuff, but this isn't the case. It's black-colored.
I was wondering why there was an Exclamation point in there, I thought about it that way. There was a red one in files for 3ds pr not?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I was wondering why there was an Exclamation point in there, I thought about it that way. There was a red one in files for 3ds pr not?
Just black I saw. I think red was the cutscene, and black is specific to Snake, right? Or is the other way around?

Top Bottom