• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOURCE: Solid Snake Will Not Return To Smash + More..

Was it a good decision not to add Snake to Smash 4?

• Yes

Votes: 128 37.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 51 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 162 47.5%

• Total voters

gangstajuice05

Smash Cadet
http://www.foxweekly.com/2014/09/15/buzz/solid-snake-will-not-be-returning-to-super-smash-bros.html

Sad news. I know a lot who were waiting and anticipating that solid snake would make an appearance on the Wii U version.. :(

"A source close to Hideo Kojima has confirmed to Fox Weekly that the beloved character Solid Snake ‘will not be returning’ to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS. Furthermore, our source tells us that the inclusion of Solid Snake in Smash Bros. 4 was ‘not on Masahiro’s mind’ even before the game started development back in 2012."

So, Sakurai decided not to add Snake since before the game started being developed. Looks like he knew what third party characters he wanted from the start.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Kind of too bad seeing as his move-set was very unique. He was certainly a character that was worth keeping around... Another painful loss I guess, on top of everyone else that has been cut.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
As for the character? Don't really care that he got cut.

As for the unique moveset? Yeah, I care, Snake had a unique moveset.

Spirst

I'd like to know the credibility of this source.

If it's true, that sucks, badly. Snake was one of my favorite characters and it always hurts to see an entire world cut off from the game.

gangstajuice05

Smash Cadet
Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If this is true, label me "surprised" Sakurai made another bad decision.

The same guy who said single-player was a higher priority in Brawl decided to cut the best newcomer since Melee=???

Or made Brawl in general just a giant mess with a terrible development cycle (at least 13 companies worked on the game!).

And the one who won't apologize for the Subspace Emissary being a steamy pile of poo AT BEST=??? (despite being the primary focus of Brawl)

This is terrible for anyone who plays the games. Truly it is. I'd rather see any Brawl newcomer cut before Snake, because he was better designed than all of them.

Even top Melee players who loathe Brawl loved Snake and how he could transfer to any new Smash game.

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I loved Snake, love his inclusion in Smash, his series and his music. Those codecs on the characters rocked too.

Maybe he did not "fit in Smash", but his portrayal in the series was fantabulous.

I miss him and I really wished he could have stayed. :/

MagnesD3

Smash Master
If this is true, label me "surprised" Sakurai made another bad decision.

The same guy who said single-player was a higher priority in Brawl decided to cut the best newcomer since Melee=???

Or made Brawl in general just a giant mess with a terrible development cycle (at least 13 companies worked on the game!).

This is terrible for anyone who plays the games. Truly it is. I'd rather see any Brawl newcomer cut before Snake, because he was better designed than all of them.

Even top Melee players who loathe Brawl loved Snake and how he could transfer to any new Smash game.
I want snake for his really unique playstyle and for the fact he is a smash history piece because he opened the door for 3rd parties.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
This is why we need to band together and make the case for WHY he should return.

I'm the leader of the Snake DLC campaign as part of the Big 4 Alliance. I'll be damned if I let this stop me from supporting a character a lot of people happened to like. Sure, he's not Sonic or Pac-Man, but he was by far one of the best designed characters in the series. He was our first 3rd party character in the series. He brought a brand new audience to the game, and that shouldn't be forgotten.

Support Snake as DLC guys. The Smash Community is strong. Just because Sakurai didn't think Snake should come back doesn't mean he was right.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Why do I have a feeling the higher ups at Nintendo like Iwata and have at you were involved with the exclusion of Snake?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why do I have a feeling the higher ups at Nintendo like Iwata and have at you were involved?
Well, Nintendo and Konami did fight lately...

To be fair, that's a possible reason.

Another is that the only reason he got in was a request for Kojima's son. Now, he was in Smash, right? The thing his son wanted. Him not being in 4 doesn't stop him from being in Smash. It's a different game now. His son is happy. He had no reason to ask for a return. He could later, sure. Or the fan demand and campaigns could totally get him back(bar Iwata/etc. stopping it). But I can't think of what regular incentive Sakurai had this time. Who asked him? No one. So him not coming back is logical in this case. It says he didn't consider him. Well, you can't consider him if nobody asked you to do so again, right?

It's purely a theory, but it does match up with the interview.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I want snake for his really unique playstyle and for the fact he is a smash history piece because he opened the door for 3rd parties.
Not only that but his design was good, and it had room to get even better.

Again, the fact top Melee players who loathe Brawl said he was well made or interesting or they'd want him to be in a Melee-like game shows how well designed he was made.

I haven't touched Brawl in almost half a decade and I still find Snake to be the most interesting character in that game (other than Falco, who IMO is the best designed Smash character ever).

This... this is not going to end well for Sakurai... especially with the Lucas cut.

This isn't a Nintendo problem, it's a Sakurai problem.

After this, I don't see Sakurai returning after this game...

...by the design of it IMO it is a clear indicator it should be his last entry...

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
People do know that Hideo Kojima asked Masahiro Sakurai, a friend of his, to add Solid Snake in Super Smash Bros., right? The idea was planned for Melee, but I think Kojima asked way too late in development, so Sakurai added Solid Snake in Brawl instead. This is like Sakurai asking Capcom to use Mega Man which is a good thing since Capcom pretends Mega Man doesn't exist and if the story is true, then it's not like Shigeru Miyamoto suggesting to Sakurai that he find a way to include Pac-Man as another retro character.

Snake was more of a favor than an actual considered newcomer. Metal Gear is one of my favorite series, seeing Snake in Brawl was awesome, but I'm not surprised nor did I hope that Snake would return considering his circumstances. I can see Mega Man returning due to history not only with Mega Man being on the NES, but Nintendo and Capcom working on games like Zelda and, probably, the recent Monster Hunter games. Pac-Man is more iffy since he wasn't asked by an outside developer to be included, but Atari's not doing much, so maybe he'll stay.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
People do know that Hideo Kojima asked Masahiro Sakurai, a friend of his, to add Solid Snake in Super Smash Bros., right? The idea was planned for Melee, but I think Kojima asked way too late in development, so Sakurai added Solid Snake in Brawl instead. This is like Sakurai asking Capcom to use Mega Man which is a good thing since Capcom pretends Mega Man doesn't exist and if the story is true, then it's not like Shigeru Miyamoto suggesting to Sakurai that he find a way to include Pac-Man as another retro character.

Snake was more of a favor than an actual considered newcomer. Metal Gear is one of my favorite series, seeing Snake in Brawl was awesome, but I'm not surprised nor did I hope that Snake would return considering his circumstances. I can see Mega Man returning due to history not only with Mega Man being on the NES, but Nintendo and Capcom working on games like Zelda and, probably, the recent Monster Hunter games. Pac-Man is more iffy since he wasn't asked by an outside developer to be included, but Atari's not doing much, so maybe he'll stay.
Sakurai cares more about some request from his friend than millions of people around the world and the fact that they love the character. #bias#weneedanewdirector

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Sakurai cares more about some request from his friend than millions of people around the world and the fact that they love the character. #bias#weneedanewdirector
That's better than Square Enix being Gackt fangirls.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I hated Snake's moveset (Lucario's too) but I hate seeing cuts even more. Snake, Ice Climbers, Ivysaur, Squirtle... All unique movesets unlike any other. Cut for no real reason. I went into playing Lucas knowing that as a clone there was a very real chance of his non-return (despite being better than Ness in almost... No, not almost... Every way) but unique characters being cut at LEAST without a suitable replacement irks me a lot.

If Sakurai didn't want Snake again, fine. Give his moveset to an Advance Wars character or something. If he didn't want Ivysaur again... Well not fine but he should have at least replaced with something comparable (if you even mention that Dog you die).

I'm bothered a lot but I'll get over it.

Part of me disagrees with the "better to have loved and lost" mentality in Smash. If I'd never had Ivysaur to begin with I wouldn't be so sad/irritated at its removal. Same with Snake, who had been a MAJOR hype factor for many people prior to Brawl's release.

/rant

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
yea square enix is pretty *** right now.
The Final Fantasy Type-0 remaster, Bravely Second, Final Fantasy Explorers - I think that's the new -, Kingdom Hearts III, and Final Fantasy XV seems to be heading into the right direction. Hell, Bravely Default and actual gameplay from FFXV and KHIII made people regain some faith in SE. Sure, there's the timed exclusivity with Rise of the Tomb Raider was stupid, but SE publishing and funding games like Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider (2013), Hitman: Absolution, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and other games with potential makes it seem like the problem is more of Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts development rather than whatever else they're exploring and the developers working under them.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
The Final Fantasy Type-0 remaster, Bravely Second, Final Fantasy Explorers - I think that's the new -, Kingdom Hearts III, and Final Fantasy XV seems to be heading into the right direction. Hell, Bravely Default and actual gameplay from FFXV and KHIII made people regain some faith in SE. Sure, there's the timed exclusivity with Rise of the Tomb Raider was stupid, but SE publishing and funding games like Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider (2013), Hitman: Absolution, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and other games with potential makes it seem like the problem is more of Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts development rather than whatever else they're exploring and the developers working under them.
Hmm your right, things are looking brighter but they were **** for awhile.

Snake was cut...but they never said anything about Big Boss!
Dun Dun Dunnana

Dun Dun DUN
I like big boss better anyway :D

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
He was 100% out of place.

But 100% fun. Easily the most fun veteran cut.

Therefore, I vote maybe.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Don't really care about Snake or the Metal Gear series... so I'm not butthurt over his cut. I'd rather have Simon Belmont anyway.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Wait, wait, wait stuff ain't adding up, someone close to Kojima who worked on Brawl? Who could that be? If it was somebody on the Brawl development team there would be no need to ask Kojima as the Sora ltd. employees would already know, and as far as I know Konami didn't help develop Brawl, the hell is going on here?

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Wait, wait, wait stuff ain't adding up, someone close to Kojima who worked on Brawl? Who could that be? If it was somebody on the Brawl development team there would be no need to ask Kojima as the Sora ltd. employees would already know, and as far as I know Konami didn't help develop Brawl, the hell is going on here?
It's Sakurai

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Not only that but his design was good, and it had room to get even better.

Again, the fact top Melee players who loathe Brawl said he was well made or interesting or they'd want him to be in a Melee-like game shows how well designed he was made.

I haven't touched Brawl in almost half a decade and I still find Snake to be the most interesting character in that game (other than Falco, who IMO is the best designed Smash character ever).

This... this is not going to end well for Sakurai... especially with the Lucas cut.

This isn't a Nintendo problem, it's a Sakurai problem.

After this, I don't see Sakurai returning after this game...

...by the design of it IMO it is a clear indicator it should be his last entry
*facepalm* you think he won't direct smash 5 (assuming there will be one in a few years) just because he decided to cut a character lots of people liked. It was almost inevitable from the start Snake would be among the cut characters from Brawl to 4 given how Hideo Kojima hadn't really asked Sakurai to bring him back. Characters getting cut might suck for some of us, but that doesn't mean the current director of smash shouldn't return to make another smash bros game a few years down the road! :facepalm:

Top Bottom